1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Mort Subite Witte Lambic - Brouwerij Mort Subite

Mort Subite Witte LambicMort Subite Witte Lambic

good

Brouwerij Mort Subite visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: RuckusDu on 06-27-2012)
View: Beers (16) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 18 | Reviews: 4 | Show All Ratings:
VWBuggirl

South Carolina

4.15/5  rDev +21.7%

This is a 2012 Limited Edition wit lambic. It is difficult to judge as it is both a wit and a lambic, so I will do my best.

A: This is a nice golden color, deeper than a typical wit but about average for a lambic, if not a bit darker. The pour left a thick fluffy white foamy head that lingered for quite some time.

S: The smell is fairly strong. The first thing I detect is strawberry. This then follows with a strong burst of limey-ness for the finish. It isn't complex as compared to a basic lambic, but for a fruit lambic it is more complex than many others (i.e. Lindeman's apple, etc...) which tend to be very one note. I wish the scent had more to offer in the funk department.

T: I wrongly assumed that this would taste fruity based on the smell. I was pleasantly surprised. As a hybrid, it hits the wit style in that it is light, refreshing, and presumably heavy on wheat. As a lambic, this delivers with a nice amount of funkiness while still maintaining the wit backbone.

M: The mouthfeel is pretty perfect. It isn't cloyingly thick and sweet as it maintains the crispness of a wit. The carb level is excellent as well.

O: All in all, this was very pleasant. A nice spin on a summer lambic, and much better than most summer beers available anywhere. It delivers layers of flavor while still being unique and delicious. Hopefully they make it again!

10-21-2012 22:49:24 | More by VWBuggirl
RuckusDu

Colorado

3.75/5  rDev +10%

A - a nice one finger of white head. Body is cloudy and a nice golden color.

S - crazy sweet which is not what I was expecting from a Lambic. Candy like pez and banana and watermellon. Not artificial like I normally get with this aroma.

T - very similar to the smell. Almost no tartness. Sweet banana, apple, and sugar.

M - a nice solid carbonated body and medium mouthfeel. A little drying.

O - not what I was expecting but very good. Very sweet but natural. Well done and something I would recommend for anyone looking for this type of beer.

06-27-2012 23:25:07 | More by RuckusDu
benfons

2.95/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A: pale yellow colour, nice thick head, quite a lot of carbonation.

S: very sweet, peach,hint of lime, a bit strange

T: this is very weird, strange mixture of all kind of things that I can't really pinpoint, Not my cup of tea. Sweet at the beginning, some strange bitterness in the middle.

M: rather thin, slightly undercarbonated, rather dry.

O: really not my thing, strange combination of flavours that doesn't really work for me.

04-11-2013 20:27:41 | More by benfons
jlindros

2.85/5  rDev -16.4%

On tap at the Mort Subite pub in Brussels.

Pours a nice creamy 1 finger thick head that fades slowly with nice lacing, hazy blond lemon yellow color.

nose has a sweet candy aroma, light grassy lemon candy, light sour funk, lots of sweet candy lemon like a lemonhead.

Taste is just like the aroma and almost undrinkable it's so sweet! Syrupy, light tartness, so much lemon and candy flavors, light grassy, sitcky and syrupy, with a syrupy finish that brings more candy and lemon.

Mouth is med to lighter bod, very syrupy, esp for a lambic, and even has too much carb,

Overall I would hardly.... no wait, I can't even bring myself to call this a lambic, it's like lemonjuice blended with syrup and diabeetus! This is what I call a tourist beer. After this I couldn't even drink another beer from their brewery and stormed out! I felt like I was drinking a "lambic" from Mexico rather than Belgium.

06-14-2013 01:39:43 | More by jlindros