Boddingtons Pub Ale - Boddingtons

Boddingtons visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-20-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Boddingtons Pub Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,087 | Hads: 2,620
4.56/5  rDev +42.9%

A champion beer in every sense of the word. I am surprised at the low ratings for this. It has a wonderful appearance (and I am not a big amber guy) and a perfect head. The taste is toasty and comforting. Probably the best of the more "popular" beers.

4.56/5  rDev +42.9%

My favorite ale. Served from a can, this beer poured an extremely thick, creamy head that dissipated quickly. The color was a lightish yellow. Smelled rich and creamy. This was the first time I had experienced such a sweet dairy-like smell. Could have sworn there was milk in it. Tasted incredibly sweet and creamy, but felt a little harsh in the mouth for some reason, however this harshness was countered by the incredible taste. Easy to drink since the flavor was so incredible!

4.55/5  rDev +42.6%

This is without a doubt, my wintertime beer. Love the fact that it pours like a Guinness, but it is an ale. The lack of traditional carbonation allows you to drink more and not get that one gets from traditional beers. I wouldn't drink this in a warm climate, but once the temperature dips below 60˚, this is the beer I turn to.

4.53/5  rDev +42%

Boddingtons Pub Ale is the first pub ale I have ever tried and fell in love with it right away, it is a remarkable beer that doesn't disappoint.

A- It is very inviting with the can being the color yellow, very welcoming and settle to the eye, and when you pour it into your glass it is like a ballad of bubbles that rushes from the bottom of the glass that swims trough the cloudy of golden beauty.

S- The smell is good not over powering with a very delightful smell of a pale ale.

T- The taste is amazing it rushes in your mouth with a smooth but full flavor, I am head over heels in love with this beer, makes me want to be more open to trying different pale ales, who wants to take a trip to England?

MF- Is to good for words it sets on your taste buds and refreshes your thirst for a good beer, I can't wait to have another, to fill my mouth with it's pure flavors of a true import from across the pond.

D- It is very drinkable, although it does fill you up quicker then your average beer, but I can definitely say I could drink this beer trough out the evening, so the next time your in the mood for a real eye opener ask your bartender for a Boddingtons Pub Ale, and never look back!

4.51/5  rDev +41.4%

I seem to keep coming back to this one. Definitely better draft than in the can. Smooth taste and very creamy head. Easy to knock lots of these back at the pub.

4.51/5  rDev +41.4%

Poured from can into glass stein.

Darker brown ale color. Beautiful show it put on.
Spectacular head. Creamy 2 inches. Stuck around for as long as it took me to drink it.

Smell was okay but cleaner smelling than others. Earthy.

Taste was the best part. First drink was like drinkin the tears of a lifelong enemy. It was amazing. Smooth and creamy, had a slight bite, Perfect in my ale book so far.

Same with mouthfell. Exceptional.

Drinkablilty. You know. Easy to drink by far. Almost dangerously easy to drink.

I will buy this many times im sure of it.
Great buy $6.29 for a four.

Must try.

4.5/5  rDev +41.1%

A- Smooth pouring, with a thick,creamy white head that keeps its
retention decently for short period and then dissapears for the most
part after about 10 mins. Dark golden in colour and very
clear.Visually appealling with all those bubbles rising to the top of the

S- Very mild with a hint of sweetness and minimal hops in the
aroma....definately not an overpowering stench

T- Very mild much like the smell with a bit of a honey flavor followed by
a small hoppy bitterness in the aftertaste. Definately easy on the
palate overall

M- I liked the feel of this....not real heavy but more of a light
cream texture. It glides down the back of my throat easily and I
enjoyed the VERY slight carbonation

D- Simply put, this is a good, decent beer....very easy to drink with the low carbonation and balanced flavor. I think that I could handle at least a couple of these in a sitting as it's not overly heavy, but heavy enough. I was definately satisfied and have come back to it on a few occasions already in my short beer drinking career and enjoy it a little more each time.

4.5/5  rDev +41.1%

A:Semi copper color, Thick heavy but fluffy white head

S:Some malt aroma, some honey sweetness, no hops really, a little ?muddy? Nitro cap???

T: More bitter than smells, stone fruit esters of English yeast. Malty sweet, honey malt flavor, kind of biscuit.

M: Full bodied ( Nitro)

O: Somewhat balance between malty sweetness and hop profile. Not quite a Bass Pale ale, but none the less very English. Taste like my trips to Europe, in tiny, barely light, wet carpet smelling pubs of London.

The bros a 55 that's low.. that is like giving a t bone a 3 and a ribeye a 10. A tbone can only be SO good and that is what this is, im not saying its spectacular but a ESB or English Pale will never blow you away.

4.5/5  rDev +41.1%

Love this beer. A bit of a more mass-produced beer but none-the-less a great drink. A great taste and a great drink. And not too heavy so there is no issue in not be able to drink plenty. Best out of the tap but the nitro-can is not a bad second option.

4.5/5  rDev +41.1%

Boddingtons is an excellent ale. Mellow hops and a creamy body make it light, yet with plenty of flavor. One can detect a little bit of toffee, a slight sour note, and slightly bitter finish (somewhat like the skunky flavor of Heineken). This flurry of flavor combined with low carbonation makes them go down fast. My only complaint is that they only come in 4 packs!

For more on this beer and others check out http://joyofconsumption.com/

4.48/5  rDev +40.4%

As promised, we had a party and a keg of this. Note that the kegs are already nitro-charged from the brewery, so don't try pumping one with CO2 or you will ruin it.

Head-- at first, I was disappointed because the head wasn't as nicely separated and luscious as the nitro-can version. But the head was still great, and in fact more integrated with the beer and a browner color as well, and still very delicious. Great nose from the start. Light hops-bitters presence in the head.

Beer-- wow-- a little different than the nitro-can, again, but maybe even nicer because of the full integration of the beer, rather than the quick-integration and resulting modest separation when poured from a nitro-can. Slight sweet caramel, malty residual taste that stays nicely on the palate, yet isn't annoying. Less hops presence in the beer than in the head, but still there.

Finish-- WHY!?!?!?!? I'm still going on this KEG after a month! We had a smaller turnout than expected, and the keg was nearly but not fully drained. After the ice melted, the keg just sat inside our outdoor cabin, warm, through a hot August, although the temp inside there didn't go over 80 degrees F. I've been at it, gradually, all month on occasion. I guess this unusual stability of the keg is because of the nitro-charge, that's all that I can figure. Hooray!

Drinkability-- this goes with about anything. It's not a strong dark beer, it's not overly dark, and was liked even by the party-goers who are more light-ale or even US-fodder fans.

4.45/5  rDev +39.5%

This beer is one that everyone should have. You can quaff this one all night as its flavor is not going to be overpowering nor will the alcohol content kick you in the ass. This is one for drinking with a ton of friends at the local dive bar when all you want to do is have hearty fun and conversation. Better on tap, so if you can find a place that serves it, go there, and knock on the gates to Heaven.

4.43/5  rDev +38.9%

Boddingtons Pub Ale was a drink I tried about a year ago. I have been enjoying it many times ever since and it has become a favorite of mine. Despite the surprisingly low ratings across the page I am on...(That I noticed from a quick scan) I'm going to give my honest opinion on this amazing, one of a kind ale.

Appearance: This can looks imported! Bold, bright colors with an attractive, dominate looking name. Pours an unbelievably creamy, beautiful and unique colored white/tan, thick head.

Smell: Grainy, slightly nutty and malty.

Taste: Delicious. Very unique in my opinion. Slightly sweet, caramel, great amount of spice, nutty, malty and crisp.

Mouth feel: Amazingly thick creamy texture with the head. The beer itself is on the lighter side. The two blend perfectly.

Similar to: Newcastle brown ale but way more malty, creamy and with the sweetness toned down.

Overall: For me there is no other beer quite like it. This can comes with a widget which results in that excellent creamy, silky head. Its refreshing, crisp and satisfying. The spice really shows in this beer. Average on the alcohol side. These go down easy and smooth. If you get a chance to try this beer, do yourself the favor and go ahead.

4.41/5  rDev +38.2%

i heard the boddingtons brewery has closed, or will soon be closing, and that there's only specualtion of another brewery taking on the task of crafting this wonderful ale. with that being said, i've been drinking my fill in case it becomes unavailable one day.

A- the nitro can pops and you have to hurry up and pour before it overflows. it went into my pint glass like milk and immediately bagan cascading from opaque to transparent in typical nitro fashion much like a light colored guinness only way faster leaving 1 1/2in of creamy ivory head that just doesn't go away, creating a constant hard line between the foam and the clear tangerine-golden ale. it took me 10 minutes to drink this beer and the last gulp was all foam.

S- fresh baked banana bread with malt or biscuit in the background and a very slight copper/nickel aroma.

T- bitter banana peel, mild honey, faint sweet citrus, yeasty bread and plain pizza dough with a fresh bitter hoppy aftertaste that lingers for quite a while.

MF- smooth and creamy, ALMOST full bodied with very light carbonation.

D- the complex yet mild taste and delicate carbonation makes it hard to resist chuggin the entire thing down. i can, and have drank the whole 4 pint can pack in one sitting. thumbs up to boddingtons. i hope they stick around for another couple hundred years.

4.41/5  rDev +38.2%

This beer is totally underrated and true classic. Maybe it doesn't have the overwhelming taste that a lot of beers have today, which I love by the way, but it's about as good as you're going to get in an English Pub Ale. It's good drinking!

While we're on the subject, they need to bring Caffreys back to the US.

4.4/5  rDev +37.9%

This is a full-bodied ale, but very smooth and refreshing. The can produces a lot of head, but it's part of the experience. Serve very cold, either alone or with hearty foods, such as steaks or other meats on the grill. This beer has the ultimate draught can ~ it only pales in comparison to the real thing. On tap, this is my absolute favorite beer. It's as smooth and refreshing as a cool glass of water on a hot day, but full and rich as any quality brewed pale ale. This beer is my standard.

4.4/5  rDev +37.9%

Boddingtons is a classic!

I would say this "cream ale" defines the style with a wonderful mouth-feel well-complimented by the use of nitrogenation of the beer.

Boddingtons is a terrifically easy and refreshing beer to drink for almost any occasion(though it is particularly well-suited for colder weather)

4.4/5  rDev +37.9%

Boddingtons caught me by surprise. I was'nt sure whether I'd like it so I never had it until a relative of mine came in, and I had to get some of my own after that.

It pours a deep yellow orange. There is a nice creamy one inch head on top and the texture comes across similar to Guiness. Nose is mainly sweet pale biscuity malts.

Taste is only mildly fruity. This resembles more of a lager character than an ale. It has that slightly sulfuric character in it. Nice mild hop bouqet in the finish balances things out.

This beer is definetly a nice summer sessioner. Very thirst quenching and mighty tasty too!

4.38/5  rDev +37.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cheers! What a great over all drinking beer. The nitrogen makes it taste like a milk shake. Honey flavor was detected as well as coffee. I could just see going to a pub in England and sharing this brew in a tall mug with my good buddys. The big, yellow can stands out in the crowd of boring, drab colored beers. Pour a cold one and watch the giant head vanish before your eyes.

4.38/5  rDev +37.3%

A - Pure white head on a clear orange body (no visible carbonation)
S - Nice apple and malt aroma.
T - Light long lasting maltyness. Nice light bitterness, esp. on the finish. Ever so slightly sweet and fruity, still find apples.
M - Extremely light carbonation. I generally do not like nitro in my beer, but when done this light, I kinda liked it.
D - This is my kind of light beer!!!!

4.36/5  rDev +36.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Boddingtons has been enjoyed by beer drinkers in England for more than 200 years, and is well known for its creamy head and smooth body.

Boddingtons is a refreshing, smooth beer renowned for its golden colour, full-bodied flavour and malty, moreish taste with smooth, tight creamy head.

4.36/5  rDev +36.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance: Beautiful honey-gold color with a dense, creamy white head.

Smell: Hints of clover with a tough of alcohol.

Taste: A sweet nectar beginning with a sweet malty fullness that finishes with a kiss of hops.

Mouthfeel: The creamy smooth quality of this beer is mesmerizing. Leaves a bit of a waxy feel behind.

Drinkability: A treat to drink. This beer makes a nice addition to a drinking session featuring beers that are more aggressive. It soothes the senses and prepares them for the next round.

4.35/5  rDev +36.4%

My first beer, and i love it just ad much now as I did then.
Look-Pours a splendid honey gold with lots and lots of bubbles at first from the Draughtflow device inside, forming a beautiful thick, creamy, delicious head. A very good looking beer.
Smell-This ales downfall, it smells like nothing, maybe a tad bit of grassiness.
Taste-Its very neutral, just a normal EPA. Bready, biscuity, and bitter malts, with subtle hops. I think its wonderful, refreshing, light, but not too light, easy to drink, but its way more flavorful than any other middle-priced beer, and it goes well with just about anything. Wings? Check. Pretzels? Check. Nachos? Check. Pizza? Of course.
Feel-Oh so smooth. I don't know many beers as smooth as this one. Good carbonation, well balanced.
Overall-One of my all time favorites, and a great simple, go too beer that most of your friends will probably find tasty and inoffensive.

4.34/5  rDev +36.1%

I know, I know. Bought out by the big guys, no longer brewed in Manchester and watery. But humor me if you will:

The ale pours in a lovely golden nitro-fied cascade like so many other nitro-cans with a mouthfeel people seem to like or hate.

The smell is of light malty banana bread with wisps of nutmeg (no one else I know smells nutmeg, though). The taste is oh so very mild and un-challenging that some may find it boring. I find it comforting and lovely, like a slightly slow old friend who lacks depth, yet is agreeable with good aesthetics. The drinkability is off the charts...certainly no challenge whatsoever. I love this beer.

4.33/5  rDev +35.7%

Over all I would say it is smooth. A little light on taste for a dark beer but very drinkable. Leaves you wanting a little more bite. Pours easy with a classic head that remains there until the last sip. My friend from the CZ really liked that (something the Europeans like i guess.) Without going into a lot of colorful words, it is the kind of beer you sit around at a Pub with friends and drink all night. Goes good with pizza, fish & chips and nachos. Enjoy!

Boddingtons Pub Ale from Boddingtons