Boddingtons Pub Ale - Boddingtons

Boddingtons visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-20-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Boddingtons Pub Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,087 | Hads: 2,620
2.26/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2

Poured from a nitro-can into a mug.

A - Color of a golden coin with an amazing creamy, three-finger, perfectly white foamy head. Looks inviting enough.

S - Almost odorless, but what little aroma exists is kind of a "stale beer" odor. Smells of adjucnts. Not appealing at all.

T - Cloying dexrtin sweetness followed by earthy stale hops. Astringent chemical aftertaste reminiscent of dish soap and formaldehyde. Zero depth or complexity. Phenols became even more present as it warmed. One word...BAD.

M - Smooth creamy, silky, mouthfeel. Nice and full bodied, but it doesnt make up for the poor taste.

O - A nice appearance and mouthfeel, but thats about the only redeeming qualities here this beer. Adjuncts abound. A struggle to finish. I have craft beer drinking friends that enjoy this one. Maybe I am missing something.

2.25/5  rDev -29.5%

A: Gold copper body with a creamy head.

S: Nothing crazy, just the aroma of light hops, toast and grains.

T: Creamy, sweet grains/honey, very faint/light roasted malt, and faint hops.

M: Light bodied, little carbonation, no alcohol presence, and smooth.

O: There is nothing special about this beer. It's decent and very close to sub par. It doesn't benefit from being poured into a glass. I actually prefer it from the can. To be honest, I haven't seen a beer truly benefit from the whole nitro-can widget hype. My rating may be too generous. I defiantly wouldn't recommend. This is close to being called beer pong beer.

2.23/5  rDev -30.1%

English Pale Ale. I wanted to try because I always had the American Pale Ale.

The smell of this is great. It's powerful, not too offensive. A little bit of sweetness.

The carbonation is good. I had about 1 finger of head that stays until you finish the glass. So I find it really nice.
About the taste it's really creamy. But on the finish I was really disappointed. When the texture of the creaminess is gone you have like that bang of corny taste.

Would I recommend it ? No, for my part I won't buy again. It's really special. But if you are in England you can still give it a try and see.

2.23/5  rDev -30.1%

Pours a golden yellow with a cascading carbonation/nitrogenation that seems to fall down to the bottom of the glass, similar to Guiness. Creamy, frothy white head leaves a slight lacing around the glass. Aroma is almost non-existent. Taste is corn and a slight malt presence. No hops detected. Mouthfeel is thick and creamy, similar to Guiness, but unlike Guiness the taste is rather lacking. Overall, this is simply an average beer. I will not be wasting my money on this beer again.

2.23/5  rDev -30.1%

Opened it and got it all over myself.

Look: Beautiful solid two finger cream white head (looks like a solid thick layer of whipped cream), beautiful retention, light amber (about a 14 SRM), beautiful lacing.

Smell: Malt, apple. Maybe floral. Nothing really here.

Taste: Apple. Tons of apple. Malt. Floral. Thats all. Body is way light. If they want to bottle the water they use to make this I'll buy that.

Final Thoughts: Not to be rude, but this one can be sumed up in three words: apple flavored water. Just like that sexy brunette you know, she's got the looks but nothing much going on inside.

2.22/5  rDev -30.4%

I feel like there was something about this beer that I just didn't get. I opened the can and foam came gushing out. Not to be outdone, I dumped a mix of foam and beer into my glass and let it settle a bit. Appearance was good - a golden color with very abundant head like you'd see on cask-conditioned beer.

And then my opinion began to fade a bit. This beer smelled like nothing. Taste was also very mild and (dare I say it?) boring. Mouthfeel was extremely flat, particularly given how much head this beer initially had. I feel like there's an appeal that I'm not detecting, but as it was, I thought it was pretty marginal.

2.19/5  rDev -31.3%

Cloudy orange in color with a very thick head. Lots of lacing on the glass. Aroma ( what their was of it) was slightly malty, but nothing to rave about. Taste was not too impressive ether. Rather bland and unimpressive. Mouthfeel was creamy, and this was the the flavor. i would rather drink water than have another one of these so I'll pass on this one in the future.

2.18/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I've had this out of a 16oz can and once on tap; both pours yielded roughly the same experience. For this review, I had this on-tap at Scuttlebutts in CC TX. This beer has really only one thing going for it, it looks great in a pint glass.

It pours an amber color. As it is being poured the micro bubbles produce a very thick light tan foamy head. At this point it looks very good, however, this is where it ends. The aroma is very weak. It goes down very smooth and the flavors are very subtle; overall it has a very watered down taste. Towards the end of the glass it goes flat.

It is easy to drink because it goes down like water. I wouldn't mind drinking it again as long as I didn't have to pay for it.

2.18/5  rDev -31.7%

500ml can. Pours a crystal clear copper amber with a small white lasting head. Aroma and Taste is of light grains, fruity with some light biscuit malt. Palate is a light body with very light carbonation. Finish is sweet light biscuit malt, grainy, light fruity notes. Flavor and aroma is a bit flat as well as the carbonation. Overall an ok brew not much else.

2.18/5  rDev -31.7%

Drinkably barely-but not something I would order again. Little taste and bitter in a bad way. It was almost as if the beer had gone bad it even had an unpleasant odor.
med tan in color,little head, a thin texture in the mouth and flavors that were identifable
This was part of a 5 beer flight of pale ales and was easily the worst of them.

2.18/5  rDev -31.7%

a - Looks good enough, foamy head subsides to a thin icing quickly

s - Not much here, little if any hops. Little if any anything.

t - Starts out thin and light, ok. I thought maybe it's not as Pale Aley as normal but fine. Then comes ...nothing. And finally a moment after you swallow, metal and old wet grains. I wouldn't say vomit, but my brother tried a sip and well, he used the word vomit.

m/d - Thinner than I imagine it should be for this style. Drinkability is almost non-existent save the fact that you can physically drink it and I didn't spit it out. I have never dumped a beer before today, I couldn't drink it and to make matters worse my cousin claims it is his favorite so I had to do it in secret.

I'd like to try another because I generally don't disagree this badly with my fellow ba's...I'm gonna need some time though.

2.16/5  rDev -32.3%

It looks nice, I'll give it that. Pours a creamy tan with a white head that is partial to seperating itself from the beer when tilted. The head will never die. Smells weakly malty/hoppy.

Tastes weakly malty/hoppy with no real character. Thin in body and mouthfeel, low in alcohol. Guess it makes for something you can drink all night with your friends.

2.16/5  rDev -32.3%

A - light copper with a half of an inch of pure white, soft, dense, creamy, head that has great retention

S - grainy, faintly musty, a bit sweet

T - sweet, corn, grains, metallic, apples

M - light bodied, thin, little carbonation

Everything about this beer is pretty solid...except how it tastes and smells! It's metallic and off putting, sweet and grainy, thin and watery. This a very poor example of the style. Ignore!

2.16/5  rDev -32.3%

heard some decent things about this beer, thought i'd give it a whirl. like guinness or murphys its a nitro can so its neat to hear the nitro widget go crazy after you open it and pour it in the glass and see the big white head develop, thats where all the good ends, and the bad begins, smell reaks of corn, more than budlight, its crazy how unappealing it smells. taste is even less, appealing, just a bitter and skunky watery mess.. mouthfeel is like distilled water, i woud say avoid

2.16/5  rDev -32.3%

Pouring this out into a glass is an exciting experience. It pours a cloudy beige color that cascades down in the glass and settles to a clear weak tea color with a thick white creamy head. It smells of sweet honey and mild hops. You'd think this beer was going to be awesome. It looks like a million bucks... but no. Based on the aroma the flavor is extremely disappointing. It tastes like stale water with a touch of bitter. The body is water thin with no carbonation or cream. Poured it out.

On a second tasting, I tried it warm (never in fridge) and it was an improvement... barely. So if you like warm, flat beer, this is for you.

2.15/5  rDev -32.6%

A - The Cascading pour was just intense and wonderful to look at, it ended up creating a strong, creamy head. Super thick and puffy. The beer itself was a light gold, almost crystal clear. Really nice to look at.

S - Not too much coming from this, kind of a basic malt smell with a bit of sweeter fruit.

T - Really was let down here. It was almost like a richer, creamier, coors original. I feel bad making that comparison but there just wasnt a whole lot too it. It was certainly bready and maybe a bit of banana in there at the end.

M - Very light and easy on the mouth, not too much going on.

Seems like any basic american pilsner or lager. Just not a whole lot too it other than appearance. This is a great aesthetic beer but a poor drinking beer.

2.14/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

I was unpleasantly surprised by how much this tasted like a less-carbonated Bud Light. The "darughtology" is a definite gimmick, and although the beer pours with a medium head and has a gold look and creamy feel, it definitely lacks real substance and is a forgettable experience. I suppose you could cut open the can and you would have a pretty decent dreidel to play with, but that's where the interesting characteristics of this beer end.

2.14/5  rDev -32.9%

A typical nito-can display when poured. Substantial, long-lived and creamy soft head.

Smell is gentle with what strikes me as a whiff of Juicy Fruit gum (?!) in there.

Undistinguished gentle taste. Some bitterness that lingers for a bit, but otherwise quite unremarkable.

Everything about this beer is soft. No. Not soft. Whimpy. Utterly limp. This is a beer that can't be bothered – so neither can I. I pass.

2.12/5  rDev -33.5%

The nitro can gives it an amazingly creamy and fluffy off white head. The color is nice, a crystal clear deep gold.

The flavor is, different. There are tastes recognizable from similarly canned Guinness. Some grassy grains come through, as well as an off putting metallic taste. Hops do provide a little bitterness.

It's not getting any better as it warms, unfortunately. I'm glad this was a gift. To put it plainly, it just doesn't taste good.

2.12/5  rDev -33.5%

Enjoyed out of a pint nitro-can into a glass mug.

It poured nicely into the mug with a reddish hue and a thick white head that persisted through the drinking. Unfortunately, it was downhill form there. There wasn't much smell to speak of and the taste was bland and watery, with mild bitterness on the finish. I felt that the beer was under-carbonated and a bit of a chore to drink. I wouldn't get it again.

2.12/5  rDev -33.5%

A-pours a clear golden straw color with a creamy white head that persists
S-Very faint hop aroma with some sweet malt presence. Overall pretty low hop aroma
T-very muddled, consisting of hop bitterness that lacks distinct flavors with some malt sweetness, metallic cloying after taste
M-pretty thin and watery, which is surprising since its a nitro can
O-I haven't had a ton of english pale ales but I can tell this falls a bit short.

2.11/5  rDev -33.9%

A&S - Pours a creamy tan color, then settles to a clear gold with a thin creamy white head. Smells very bland and grainy, with some caramel.

T&M - Tastes very watery, bland and grainy, carbonation is very flat. Mouthfeel is super light. The lightest hop presence you could ever imagine in the finish.

O - Overall a terrible beer in my opinion. A few of my buddies liked it, claiming it was "Smooth and Creamy" as the label described. Planning to give it another shot. Stay thirsty my friends!

2.06/5  rDev -35.4%

I have fond memories of creamy Boddington poured directly into a glass from a nitro-tap. Those memories barely survived this can.

The appearance was what I expected--not as good as a tap, but good for a nitro-can. Thick, creamy head, golden yellow body. My expectations were dashed from there. The smell was non-existent. Meh. The beer, which I expected to be as creamy and rich as I remembered, was watery and flat. Low rankings for mouthfeel and taste. The flatness makes it very drinkable, if you don't mind getting full quickly.

I will have Boddington's again, suspecting something simply went terribly wrong this time, but I won't be expecting too much!

2.05/5  rDev -35.7%

I just hate these nitro cans. The only beer that I have tasted that is better/good in the nitro can is youngs dc stout. Enough of my rant i just had to get that off my chest. The pour is nice with a golden hue and a creamy head that settles about an inch thick. I seriously can't smell anything, the creamy head is blocking my sniffing abilities. The taste is also nothing. The nitro can has a way of blocking the actual taste of the beer. The creamy head is sticking to my mouth blocking all other tastes. Maybe a slight dextrin sweet taste at the back of my mouth. This beer also seems flat in my mouth, i dont get any carbonation when tasting it (i have no idea why this is). This is essentially brown water.

2.04/5  rDev -36.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1.75

Poured from can into pint glass.
A: Pours a clear gold with 1 inch creamy/foamy head. Good retention.
S: Mild malt and even milder hops. A bit off here.
T: Wow...horrible. Like water, but only worse. Absolutely bad.
M: Light body. Watery. Creamy feel from the nitro is the only saving grace here.
D: Very, very bad. Don't waste your time. So many better beers to enjoy...

Boddingtons Pub Ale from Boddingtons