Join our email list →

Boddingtons
United Kingdom (England) | website

English Pale Ale | 4.70% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-20-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Boddingtons Pub Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,095 | Hads: 2,657
2.28/5  rDev -28.5%

Unlike other nitro cans, the head on this one began forming as soon as I popped the tab. Good thing I was paying attention because the foam shot out the top and very nearly made a mess of my desktop. Standard nitro pub ale appearance with a cascading 'inverse head'. The beer is bright gold with a healthy dose of orange and the head is a densely creamy disk of dark cream.

The nose is shy to the point of anthropophobia. It's a little pale malty with grainy undertones, but I don't have much to go on. The beer has a strange, almost chemical-like flavor. It starts off grainy with a modest amount of hop bitterness, but then quickly morphs into an unpleasantness that resembles dandelions sprayed with weed killer (although I've never tasted either, alone or in combination).

Really though, it isn't quite as bad as all that. I am able to drink it without wincing, spitting or regurgitating. The mouthfeel is watery in the extreme. The nitro attempts to salvage some degree of smooth creaminess--and does to a certain extent--but the thin, watery makeup is just too much to overcome.

I've had good nitro pub ales and I've had bad nitro pub ales. Count Boddingtons Pub Ale as one of the latter. Thumbs down.

2.27/5  rDev -28.8%

1 pint nitro can poured into an imperial pint glass.

Appearance-Nice cascading effect from the nitro pour. Medium gold in color with good clarity and a large, tight, creamy beige head with good retention and some nice lacing.

Aroma-Grainy, slightly corny aroma. Cereal grains and extremely light floral hop aroma. Perhaps a touch of fruity esters (apple or pear) here, but not much going on at all.

Flavor-A bit more fruit in the flavor, with light pear esters showing up front. Corny cereal grains carry throughout, and is eventually overshadowed by moderately low hop bitterness, and a suggestion of floral hop flavor. Finishes a bit minerally/almost metallic with just a touch of astringency.

Mouthfeel-Carbonation is low and body is medium light-actually quite thin at times. Add in the slight astringent buzz on the back end and the product is an insipid, lifeless experience.

Smells and tastes like an American lager with just a touch of fruitiness. Uninspired, and piss poor for an English Pale Ale-totally lacking in any malt, hop, or yeast based points of complexity.

2.27/5  rDev -28.8%

A: Pours a nice dark copper color with that perfect nitro head and lace.
S: Not much here. Some sweet malt and a chemical aroma.
T: A malty graininess with a metallic/chemical flavor.
M/D: A very light body that is thin and watery. It is not hard to drink, but I don't see much reason to.

I am not impressed at all. I don't think I will get this again, and there is no reason to recommend this.

2.27/5  rDev -28.8%

I purchased this beer at Jungle Jims. I got it out of there reduce bin for 1.75.The beer was served from the can into pub glass.

Appearance: The beer really looked good in the glass. The beer has a nice clear golden coloration. The head was huge and very creamy off white colored. Thick lacing remained behind on the glass.

Smell: The beer smelled a bit malty with a grainy sort of smell. Very subdued hops present in the beer.

Taste: The beer is nearly one dimensional. There is a underwhelming maltyness to the beer. This combines with a minimal hop prescence. Very small bitterness is present in this beer.

Mouthfeel: The beer has a very creamy texture. The taste is just to dam thin. The beer has a medium body.

Drinkability: This was frankly almost unbearable to drink as I had better choices in the fridge. Hopefully you have better choices than this beer. I will not purchase this again.

2.27/5  rDev -28.8%

On tap at the Draught house. White rich creamy lasting head like a squirt of shaving cream. Lightly sweet floral, honey and alcohol aroma. Extremely smooth creamy mouthfeel, very lightly carbonated. Slighty sweet aftertaste with a twinge of bitterness and alcohol. Decent, but it could use just a tad more carbonation, but I understand this is the style of the beer. Not bad, but not something I crave.

2.27/5  rDev -28.8%

[Appearance]: Nice amber golden color with a thick and creamy head.
[Smell]: Faint bitteriness, maybe some hint of sweet malts.
[Taste]: Very dull flavor of bitter hops and sweet malts, nothing really special.
[Mouthfeel]: Creamy mouthfeel, also has a weird metallic aftertaste that lingers in my mouth.
[Drinkability]: Nope! Not this one.

Original Rating Date:
June 18, 2008

It excited me at first with the creamy, thick, white head. The head tasted great, reminded me of a foamy marshmallow type taste. The aroma, however, left something to be desired. As nice as the thick, creamy head was, I didn't really care for the beer all that much. It was extremely watery in contrast with the head and just felt weak overall to me.

2.26/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer looks much better than it tastes or smells. It produces a rich creamy looking head from the nitro wigit, and the body is golden with a slight amount of haze. This Pub Ale smells very metallic, and that's pretty much it. It seems to have a slight ginger taste. Something I find unique. Lastly, for an ale this tastes a bit "lagery."

2.26/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2

Poured from a nitro-can into a mug.

A - Color of a golden coin with an amazing creamy, three-finger, perfectly white foamy head. Looks inviting enough.

S - Almost odorless, but what little aroma exists is kind of a "stale beer" odor. Smells of adjucnts. Not appealing at all.

T - Cloying dexrtin sweetness followed by earthy stale hops. Astringent chemical aftertaste reminiscent of dish soap and formaldehyde. Zero depth or complexity. Phenols became even more present as it warmed. One word...BAD.

M - Smooth creamy, silky, mouthfeel. Nice and full bodied, but it doesnt make up for the poor taste.

O - A nice appearance and mouthfeel, but thats about the only redeeming qualities here this beer. Adjuncts abound. A struggle to finish. I have craft beer drinking friends that enjoy this one. Maybe I am missing something.

2.25/5  rDev -29.5%

A: Gold copper body with a creamy head.

S: Nothing crazy, just the aroma of light hops, toast and grains.

T: Creamy, sweet grains/honey, very faint/light roasted malt, and faint hops.

M: Light bodied, little carbonation, no alcohol presence, and smooth.

O: There is nothing special about this beer. It's decent and very close to sub par. It doesn't benefit from being poured into a glass. I actually prefer it from the can. To be honest, I haven't seen a beer truly benefit from the whole nitro-can widget hype. My rating may be too generous. I defiantly wouldn't recommend. This is close to being called beer pong beer.

2.23/5  rDev -30.1%

English Pale Ale. I wanted to try because I always had the American Pale Ale.

The smell of this is great. It's powerful, not too offensive. A little bit of sweetness.

The carbonation is good. I had about 1 finger of head that stays until you finish the glass. So I find it really nice.
About the taste it's really creamy. But on the finish I was really disappointed. When the texture of the creaminess is gone you have like that bang of corny taste.

Would I recommend it ? No, for my part I won't buy again. It's really special. But if you are in England you can still give it a try and see.

2.23/5  rDev -30.1%

Pours a golden yellow with a cascading carbonation/nitrogenation that seems to fall down to the bottom of the glass, similar to Guiness. Creamy, frothy white head leaves a slight lacing around the glass. Aroma is almost non-existent. Taste is corn and a slight malt presence. No hops detected. Mouthfeel is thick and creamy, similar to Guiness, but unlike Guiness the taste is rather lacking. Overall, this is simply an average beer. I will not be wasting my money on this beer again.

2.23/5  rDev -30.1%

Opened it and got it all over myself.

Look: Beautiful solid two finger cream white head (looks like a solid thick layer of whipped cream), beautiful retention, light amber (about a 14 SRM), beautiful lacing.

Smell: Malt, apple. Maybe floral. Nothing really here.

Taste: Apple. Tons of apple. Malt. Floral. Thats all. Body is way light. If they want to bottle the water they use to make this I'll buy that.

Final Thoughts: Not to be rude, but this one can be sumed up in three words: apple flavored water. Just like that sexy brunette you know, she's got the looks but nothing much going on inside.

2.22/5  rDev -30.4%

I feel like there was something about this beer that I just didn't get. I opened the can and foam came gushing out. Not to be outdone, I dumped a mix of foam and beer into my glass and let it settle a bit. Appearance was good - a golden color with very abundant head like you'd see on cask-conditioned beer.

And then my opinion began to fade a bit. This beer smelled like nothing. Taste was also very mild and (dare I say it?) boring. Mouthfeel was extremely flat, particularly given how much head this beer initially had. I feel like there's an appeal that I'm not detecting, but as it was, I thought it was pretty marginal.

2.19/5  rDev -31.3%

Cloudy orange in color with a very thick head. Lots of lacing on the glass. Aroma ( what their was of it) was slightly malty, but nothing to rave about. Taste was not too impressive ether. Rather bland and unimpressive. Mouthfeel was creamy, and this was the the flavor. i would rather drink water than have another one of these so I'll pass on this one in the future.

2.18/5  rDev -31.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I've had this out of a 16oz can and once on tap; both pours yielded roughly the same experience. For this review, I had this on-tap at Scuttlebutts in CC TX. This beer has really only one thing going for it, it looks great in a pint glass.

It pours an amber color. As it is being poured the micro bubbles produce a very thick light tan foamy head. At this point it looks very good, however, this is where it ends. The aroma is very weak. It goes down very smooth and the flavors are very subtle; overall it has a very watered down taste. Towards the end of the glass it goes flat.

It is easy to drink because it goes down like water. I wouldn't mind drinking it again as long as I didn't have to pay for it.

2.18/5  rDev -31.7%

500ml can. Pours a crystal clear copper amber with a small white lasting head. Aroma and Taste is of light grains, fruity with some light biscuit malt. Palate is a light body with very light carbonation. Finish is sweet light biscuit malt, grainy, light fruity notes. Flavor and aroma is a bit flat as well as the carbonation. Overall an ok brew not much else.

2.18/5  rDev -31.7%

Drinkably barely-but not something I would order again. Little taste and bitter in a bad way. It was almost as if the beer had gone bad it even had an unpleasant odor.
med tan in color,little head, a thin texture in the mouth and flavors that were identifable
This was part of a 5 beer flight of pale ales and was easily the worst of them.

2.18/5  rDev -31.7%

a - Looks good enough, foamy head subsides to a thin icing quickly

s - Not much here, little if any hops. Little if any anything.

t - Starts out thin and light, ok. I thought maybe it's not as Pale Aley as normal but fine. Then comes ...nothing. And finally a moment after you swallow, metal and old wet grains. I wouldn't say vomit, but my brother tried a sip and well, he used the word vomit.

m/d - Thinner than I imagine it should be for this style. Drinkability is almost non-existent save the fact that you can physically drink it and I didn't spit it out. I have never dumped a beer before today, I couldn't drink it and to make matters worse my cousin claims it is his favorite so I had to do it in secret.

I'd like to try another because I generally don't disagree this badly with my fellow ba's...I'm gonna need some time though.

2.16/5  rDev -32.3%

It looks nice, I'll give it that. Pours a creamy tan with a white head that is partial to seperating itself from the beer when tilted. The head will never die. Smells weakly malty/hoppy.

Tastes weakly malty/hoppy with no real character. Thin in body and mouthfeel, low in alcohol. Guess it makes for something you can drink all night with your friends.

2.16/5  rDev -32.3%

A - light copper with a half of an inch of pure white, soft, dense, creamy, head that has great retention

S - grainy, faintly musty, a bit sweet

T - sweet, corn, grains, metallic, apples

M - light bodied, thin, little carbonation

Everything about this beer is pretty solid...except how it tastes and smells! It's metallic and off putting, sweet and grainy, thin and watery. This a very poor example of the style. Ignore!

2.16/5  rDev -32.3%

heard some decent things about this beer, thought i'd give it a whirl. like guinness or murphys its a nitro can so its neat to hear the nitro widget go crazy after you open it and pour it in the glass and see the big white head develop, thats where all the good ends, and the bad begins, smell reaks of corn, more than budlight, its crazy how unappealing it smells. taste is even less, appealing, just a bitter and skunky watery mess.. mouthfeel is like distilled water, i woud say avoid

2.16/5  rDev -32.3%

Pouring this out into a glass is an exciting experience. It pours a cloudy beige color that cascades down in the glass and settles to a clear weak tea color with a thick white creamy head. It smells of sweet honey and mild hops. You'd think this beer was going to be awesome. It looks like a million bucks... but no. Based on the aroma the flavor is extremely disappointing. It tastes like stale water with a touch of bitter. The body is water thin with no carbonation or cream. Poured it out.

On a second tasting, I tried it warm (never in fridge) and it was an improvement... barely. So if you like warm, flat beer, this is for you.

2.15/5  rDev -32.6%

A - The Cascading pour was just intense and wonderful to look at, it ended up creating a strong, creamy head. Super thick and puffy. The beer itself was a light gold, almost crystal clear. Really nice to look at.

S - Not too much coming from this, kind of a basic malt smell with a bit of sweeter fruit.

T - Really was let down here. It was almost like a richer, creamier, coors original. I feel bad making that comparison but there just wasnt a whole lot too it. It was certainly bready and maybe a bit of banana in there at the end.

M - Very light and easy on the mouth, not too much going on.

Seems like any basic american pilsner or lager. Just not a whole lot too it other than appearance. This is a great aesthetic beer but a poor drinking beer.

2.14/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

I was unpleasantly surprised by how much this tasted like a less-carbonated Bud Light. The "darughtology" is a definite gimmick, and although the beer pours with a medium head and has a gold look and creamy feel, it definitely lacks real substance and is a forgettable experience. I suppose you could cut open the can and you would have a pretty decent dreidel to play with, but that's where the interesting characteristics of this beer end.

Boddingtons Pub Ale from Boddingtons