Boddingtons Pub Ale - Boddingtons

awful

Boddingtons visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-20-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Boddingtons Pub Ale Alström Bros
4.8/5  rDev +50.9%

Bought at Uncle Sudsy's, a six pack shop at Indiana University of Pennsylvania. I bought a four pack of pint nitro cans.
Apperance- the apperance is a cool amber
Smell- the smell is very smooth with a creamy aroma
Taste- fabulous taste, very creamy and smooth
Mouthfeel- the beer has a kick to it and makes my mouth tingle
Drinkability- I could drink about eight with out trouble but any more I may fall a few times

tempo013, Sep 18, 2006
4.8/5  rDev +50.9%

A - A very dense amber color.

S- Almost not there, "almost" bready.

T- Excellent, it is exactly what it is supposed to be. Creamy. Perfect Pub Ale

M- Again very creamy, full feeling almost thick.

O- This is definitely one of if not my favorite Ale. Hands down.

Serving Type: Nitro Can

BanrionMAB, Nov 07, 2012

FLBEERGUY25, Jun 12, 2012
4.72/5  rDev +48.4%

From draft at Nick's Pub in St. Louis

This is my favorite ale. I always get this when it is available on draft. From a can it is remarkably similar to draft.

It arrives at the table still rolling with carbonation. It typically settles with a finger or so if thick, rich cream colored head. Medium to dark amber color. Very pleasant aroma.

The taste is very smooth and mellow. Very well balanced. Slight hop flavor, but not strong or intense. This is an excellent beer to start the night with, or for session drinking.

MikieV, May 02, 2011
4.68/5  rDev +47.2%

Wow, I cannot believe this beer rated as poorly as it did! I truly find this a very unique brew.

Its the 'other' Guinness draught being lighter in color, and yet not any less interesting. Its flavor is very mellow, yet rich, and its overall creamy texture make the beer allot of fun to drink.

Its bubbles cascade just as Guinness draught's does...

I purchase this beer after the holidays in January, and consume it through early spring. I will report back later with a more detailed, definitive review of this beer.

AdrianRP, Jan 05, 2012
4.68/5  rDev +47.2%

sewhitehead, Aug 28, 2014
4.63/5  rDev +45.6%

This beer, is a really creamy beer. The appearance is perfect, I ve never see a beer from can appear like just poured from a pub tap. Taste is a bit weak for the tipe of beer, but terrific if consedered that is in can. Really good, I will fdefinetly buy again!

GaetanoBresci, Jun 14, 2013
4.6/5  rDev +44.7%

I love this beer. The cascading effects is amazing. Great session beer. I bet its even better on tap. It's taste is smooth and pure, with a nice amber color with a bueatiful head.

Reverand, Jul 14, 2002
4.6/5  rDev +44.7%

A champion beer in every sense of the word. I am surprised at the low ratings for this. It has a wonderful appearance (and I am not a big amber guy) and a perfect head. The taste is toasty and comforting. Probably the best of the more "popular" beers.

bronxlord, Nov 03, 2004
4.6/5  rDev +44.7%

This is my wife’s review--- From pour to finish, this is a great beer.

Appearance: The cascading brew was a delight to watch from the lip of the can, to the bottom of the glass, and back up again… It was like a show. Great head, retention, and lacing… Lasted to the end of the glass. Nice golden honey color.

Smell: Sweet, honey like aroma, but not overpowering, just right.

Taste: Phenomenal, loved it. Smooth flavor, a little strong at the finish, but not bad.

Mouth feel: Creeeaaaammmyyyy and ssmmmmoootttthhhh. Low on carbonation makes for better (or more) intake without feeling bloated. The nitro cans have it going on.

Drinkability: I would consider this a session beer. As a true Irish Lass, is pains me too say that have to drink, and like, an English Pub Ale. However, my Grand-pappy will have to roll over, because this is to damn creamy and smooth.

Follow the suggestions, drink cool, not cold.

And as always remember the immortal words:

“Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy.”

~Benjamin Franklin

bossmanjg, Feb 26, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +44.7%

My favorite ale. Served from a can, this beer poured an extremely thick, creamy head that dissipated quickly. The color was a lightish yellow. Smelled rich and creamy. This was the first time I had experienced such a sweet dairy-like smell. Could have sworn there was milk in it. Tasted incredibly sweet and creamy, but felt a little harsh in the mouth for some reason, however this harshness was countered by the incredible taste. Easy to drink since the flavor was so incredible!

WallyBoag, Dec 19, 2003
4.58/5  rDev +44%

Boddingtons Pub Ale is the first pub ale I have ever tried and fell in love with it right away, it is a remarkable beer that doesn't disappoint.

A- It is very inviting with the can being the color yellow, very welcoming and settle to the eye, and when you pour it into your glass it is like a ballad of bubbles that rushes from the bottom of the glass that swims trough the cloudy of golden beauty.

S- The smell is good not over powering with a very delightful smell of a pale ale.

T- The taste is amazing it rushes in your mouth with a smooth but full flavor, I am head over heels in love with this beer, makes me want to be more open to trying different pale ales, who wants to take a trip to England?

MF- Is to good for words it sets on your taste buds and refreshes your thirst for a good beer, I can't wait to have another, to fill my mouth with it's pure flavors of a true import from across the pond.

D- It is very drinkable, although it does fill you up quicker then your average beer, but I can definitely say I could drink this beer trough out the evening, so the next time your in the mood for a real eye opener ask your bartender for a Boddingtons Pub Ale, and never look back!

Kaiser777, May 11, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +44%

Poured from can into glass stein.

Darker brown ale color. Beautiful show it put on.
Spectacular head. Creamy 2 inches. Stuck around for as long as it took me to drink it.

Smell was okay but cleaner smelling than others. Earthy.

Taste was the best part. First drink was like drinkin the tears of a lifelong enemy. It was amazing. Smooth and creamy, had a slight bite, Perfect in my ale book so far.

Same with mouthfell. Exceptional.

Drinkablilty. You know. Easy to drink by far. Almost dangerously easy to drink.

I will buy this many times im sure of it.
Great buy $6.29 for a four.

Must try.

Clockwork420, Aug 05, 2007
4.55/5  rDev +43.1%

Love this beer. A bit of a more mass-produced beer but none-the-less a great drink. A great taste and a great drink. And not too heavy so there is no issue in not be able to drink plenty. Best out of the tap but the nitro-can is not a bad second option.

Working4Beer, Dec 10, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +42.5%

A- Smooth pouring, with a thick,creamy white head that keeps its
retention decently for short period and then dissapears for the most
part after about 10 mins. Dark golden in colour and very
clear.Visually appealling with all those bubbles rising to the top of the
glass.

S- Very mild with a hint of sweetness and minimal hops in the
aroma....definately not an overpowering stench

T- Very mild much like the smell with a bit of a honey flavor followed by
a small hoppy bitterness in the aftertaste. Definately easy on the
palate overall

M- I liked the feel of this....not real heavy but more of a light
cream texture. It glides down the back of my throat easily and I
enjoyed the VERY slight carbonation

D- Simply put, this is a good, decent beer....very easy to drink with the low carbonation and balanced flavor. I think that I could handle at least a couple of these in a sitting as it's not overly heavy, but heavy enough. I was definately satisfied and have come back to it on a few occasions already in my short beer drinking career and enjoy it a little more each time.

ChrisCage, Jun 15, 2007