Boddingtons Pub Ale - Boddingtons

Boddingtons visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-20-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Boddingtons Pub Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,087 | Hads: 2,620

Looks like a doors light meets a Guinness, creamy bright white head and super pale straw color with good clarity. Grainy nose with subtle english hops. Initial thinness up front which gets fuller from the nitrogen. Feels bizarre in the mouth. Straw and caramel sweetness up front. Slightly soapy. Silky. Hop presence is barely noticeable. Nitrogen gives an almost no carbonation feel to a beer that needs one. Some butteryness on the finish.

Gross, flat and bizarre. Im not a fan

I originally sampled this beer on 29 October 2002. I am writing this review from my notes.
This beer is truly awful. It tastes like water with a foamy head. Budweiser has more (and better) flavor than this loser. This is the ultimate drain pour.
If this is the only beer available, seek out water or a soft drink

1.08/5  rDev -66.1%

Yikes...what is invading my favorite beer glass...ohh its a watered down boring english pale...ughhh..

Not sure why this style exists to be perfectly honest, The only thing that I enjoyed about the brew was the pour. Nitro widget makes this brew have a cascading effect and a super creamy tight head with tons of lacing. I've had bad success with this style, mainly because its rather tatsteless and what does come through is a faint leafy hop profile, and a semi skunked malt backer. Very bland, mouthfeel is medium bodied and creamy.

Notes: I'll pass on this one and I'll pass on "almost" every english pale.

1.09/5  rDev -65.8%

Appearance is honey colored with a thick and creamy white head. Lots of lacing.

Smell: None.

Taste: Not much. Water and pale malt.

Mouthfeel: Way too light. Buttery??.

Drinkability: Terrible. I can finish almost any beer but not this one. Even tried a second to see if I had a bad can. No carbonation.

1.24/5  rDev -61.1%

My friend brought a 4 pack over to a very drunken game of pool, and really talked this stuff up.The can looked so inviting with its bright yellow color, and the name made me think it was going to taste something like that beer stuff in Harry Potter. It poured with a beautiful bubbly head and from across the room looked very appetizing. As I went over to claim my pint, I thought someone might have shit themselves, when suddenly I realized THE BEER SMELLED LIKE F**KING PUKE!!!! poured it down the drain and then poured wet cement down the drain to make sure it wouldn't come back up. Not sure if maybe they were just ancient stock from Publix or what, but oh god it was terrible...

1.24/5  rDev -61.1%

I tried this beer from a nitro-can poured into a mug It had a good head about a 1/2 inch thick. Looked great but was all smoke and mirrors. Its like someone got a can and scooped some lake water into a can. This was an awful beer and I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.

1.27/5  rDev -60.2%

Don't know what I could add to the other "F" reviews other than to say they are all true.

Poured nicely, foamy head. First red flag was the total lack of carbonation rising from the bottom of my glass.

Second red flag was the first sip. A truly awful experience ... totally flat, foul tasting swill that could only be described as a cross between low-grade malt liquor that was left open all night, and paint remover.

Set my personal record for a drain-pour: 3 sips, then down the drain it went.

I'm now totally convinced that any kind of "nitro-can" beer is a total joke.

1.36/5  rDev -57.4%

A - Good average looking beer

Smell - Nothing special. Very light smell.

T - Just like water

M - Yh, they talk about how smooth it is and i won't disagagree. It is really smooth. Like a glass of plain water

D - Who the hell will drink this again. It is a glass of water with alcohol and yellow colour.

Note: I really hate this beer and I wouldn't advise anyone to drink it.

1.38/5  rDev -56.7%

Purchased as part of "build-your-own-six-pack" at local grocer. Medium thick foamy head on a medium amber body. Smelled of cheap, flat wine, with the taste being about the same. Just not pleasant in any fashion. This was my first "nitro" can, and if this is what I can expect from them all, I'll pass.

1.41/5  rDev -55.8%

All this gets in my book is points for appearance. You should probably open this over a sink. Good clear honey brown with a permanent dense foamy head.
From there it becomes an extremely one dimensional beer. Not much aroma. Pale malts and a little honey sweetness. The taste is virtually nonexistent and leaves a metallic aftertaste. Other than the thick creamy head this feels flat and watery. Wouldn't get again

1.45/5  rDev -54.5%

Never heard of this so I picked one up off the shelf at a local shop. A quick look at my reviews will show the reader that I'm typically a pretty generous scorer on this site. This beer gets my first "F." Simply disgusting, I took at small sip of this and the rest went down the drain. The can in which this beer was shipped looks a bit like motor oil, the taste lived up to the billing, or at least a highly watered-down version of the same. It's astonishing to me that this beer was shipped 6 thousand miles when I would have had a much more satisfying experience drinking the local tap water.

1.49/5  rDev -53.3%

Can tried to explode all over when I first opened it. The appearance was nice with a really creamy head. However the taste was almost nonexistent. I don't know if it was just my can or what but it was like drinking carbonated water. The flavor was just not there. The one thing I really did enjoy about this was the creamy head. I don't know that I have experienced anything quite the same. The fact that the head stuck around the whole time was nice too.

Overall I honestly think I would rather drink a PBR or High Life and for me that's saying something. Just not something enjoyable in this can. I would be willing to give it a try on tap though.

1.51/5  rDev -52.7%

Had this beverage on tap at the local irish pub. Poured into a pint glass and left a two finger white head that leaves lace and lasts for the duration.

Has a less than aromatic smell and the has a bitter metallic taste. I did chug it down but near painful at the end. I would not recomend this beer.

1.55/5  rDev -51.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Poured from pint can into clear pub glass. Looks promising, nice dark amber color, but fails to deliver...anything, really, except an unpleasant metallic aftertaste. No beer taste to speak of, feels like plain water in the mouth. Perhaps accurate as far as English pubswill goes, but don't waste your money.

1.56/5  rDev -51.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Had on tap at the Cock and Bull in Covington, KY.

Appearance: Deep yellow, big head. So yellow it almost looked artificial. No lacing.

Nose: Metallic. That was the initial aroma. Behind that, lemon. Smelled pretty bad.

Taste: Not much. Metallic, lemony. Maybe a little bit of grassy hops.

Mouth: Fat and wet. Not very carbonated. Like drinking a watered doen milkshake.

Drinkibility: Low. I've had this in cans and now on tap and there are few differences. I won't drink this again.

1.56/5  rDev -51.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

What the hell was this?

Pours with an interesting widget-y cascade... no problems so far ... but the taste is almost non existent. This is seriously as close to water as I've seen from a non macrolager in a while. Almost no flavor at all: just carbonated water with a hint of skunk. I'm serious, what is up with this beer?

One of the worst beers I've had in a while.

1.57/5  rDev -50.8%

A: Dark golden color with a huge creamy white head that has great retention and fantastic lacing.

S: There's almost nothing to smell. Maybe a faint hint of grain and a touch of green apple. Other than that, nothing.

T: Dear God, this was bad. It reminded me of licking a penny when you have a cold. There was this metallic taste that seemed to be the only flavor in the beer and even that tasted watered down like crazy. One of the worst I've ever had.

1.58/5  rDev -50.5%

1pt can. Pours golden-amber in color with a huge, fast disappearing white head. Aroma of stale bread, yeast with some earthy hops and spoiled fruit in the background. Thin body. Flavor was bitter, earthy hops that produced stale, skunky aftertaste. Terrible beer that went into a sink.

1.6/5  rDev -49.8%

Served on nitro in a imperial pint glass.

Appearance: Burnished golden honey color with a thick and creamy white head. Craploads of lacing, but this is to be expected from nitro.

Smell: There is one? Über faint pale malts and herby hoppiness.
Taste: Again, there is one? Am I drinking water here? If you're patient, you can catch some glimpses of pale malt flavor.

Mouthfeel: Light.. oh so light bodied. This is carbonated water. Excuse me.. nitrogenated water.

Drinkability: Well.. this is one sorry ass replacement for Caffrey's. Curse you to hell, Coors! Still, this swill can be slammed home with ease. Stick with Guinness, you at least give off the appearance of looking manly.

1.61/5  rDev -49.5%

A- Pours nicely. 3/4 inch of head. Pale yellow in color. Looked appetizing.

S- Nothing distinct came out of smelling the beer for me. Comparable to Bud Light or Coors.

T- Watery, not much flavor at all for me. Not much flavor from hops or malt.

M- Light and smooth.

O- The beer was not hard to drink. That being said I did not find much to praise in it.

1.63/5  rDev -48.9%

Pours a hazy amber color, with carbonation that rushes to the top to produce a perfect creamy, white fluffy head.

There is a faint floral scent.

The taste is of light toasty malts, a bit sweet and very metallic tasting.

Medium bodied, very smooth and creamy, almost no carbonation at all.

This was difficult to finish, there was almost no taste. Aside from the appearance this was pretty awful.

1.64/5  rDev -48.6%

This can was pretty weird. When I opened it the beer began to gush out uncontrollably. I then poured it into a glass, it was a very light yellow color that had a huge head and a some what musty smell. It was very watery and extremley flat. Not a good brew.

1.66/5  rDev -48%

Extremely disappointing. Typical nitro-widget can creamyness, but whatever flavor the beer had was overwhelmed by the nitrogen infusion. What I did get was a fairly bland, slightly metallic flavor with hints of husky tannins. Warming was of no benefit.

1.66/5  rDev -48%

Interbev nitro can

Pours okay--bright gold with a nitro head and reverse bubbles.

Smells like sugar and water. Very faint and not very beery.

Tastes like foam and air and little else. There's a hint of honey upfront followed by intense pasturization and almost no aftertaste.

The body is very creamy, but it feels so synthetic that it's actually kind of uncomfortable.

This is like a can full of nitrogen and chemcials. Barely even resembles a beer. I hear this stuff used to be really good, too. What a shame.

1.67/5  rDev -47.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

This is one of the worst beers i have ever tasted.

Appearence: pale gold with a nice creamy cascading head.

Smell: Old grain and caramel malts with metal

Taste: god awful, the malts flavor but the metal can taste overlaps the beer is what i call a 'peasant beer' a beer that is only for looks and shine to the inbev fans everywhere.

i give this beer a 2.25 for it's originality and if you want a true English style 'pub ale' try out Newcastle founders ale or Fullers London Pride

Boddingtons Pub Ale from Boddingtons