Boddingtons Pub Ale - Boddingtons

Boddingtons visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-20-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Boddingtons Pub Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,544 | Reviews: 1,131
1.41/5  rDev -55.7%

All this gets in my book is points for appearance. You should probably open this over a sink. Good clear honey brown with a permanent dense foamy head.
From there it becomes an extremely one dimensional beer. Not much aroma. Pale malts and a little honey sweetness. The taste is virtually nonexistent and leaves a metallic aftertaste. Other than the thick creamy head this feels flat and watery. Wouldn't get again

1.43/5  rDev -55%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.25

Sometimes it's worth cause it costs 1.79 for a 16oz. But still...

1.45/5  rDev -54.4%

Never heard of this so I picked one up off the shelf at a local shop. A quick look at my reviews will show the reader that I'm typically a pretty generous scorer on this site. This beer gets my first "F." Simply disgusting, I took at small sip of this and the rest went down the drain. The can in which this beer was shipped looks a bit like motor oil, the taste lived up to the billing, or at least a highly watered-down version of the same. It's astonishing to me that this beer was shipped 6 thousand miles when I would have had a much more satisfying experience drinking the local tap water.

1.47/5  rDev -53.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

By far a disgusting beer... Enjoy

1.49/5  rDev -53.1%

Can tried to explode all over when I first opened it. The appearance was nice with a really creamy head. However the taste was almost nonexistent. I don't know if it was just my can or what but it was like drinking carbonated water. The flavor was just not there. The one thing I really did enjoy about this was the creamy head. I don't know that I have experienced anything quite the same. The fact that the head stuck around the whole time was nice too.

Overall I honestly think I would rather drink a PBR or High Life and for me that's saying something. Just not something enjoyable in this can. I would be willing to give it a try on tap though.

1.5/5  rDev -52.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Wow... Pretty awful beer from across the pond

1.51/5  rDev -52.5%

Had this beverage on tap at the local irish pub. Poured into a pint glass and left a two finger white head that leaves lace and lasts for the duration.

Has a less than aromatic smell and the has a bitter metallic taste. I did chug it down but near painful at the end. I would not recomend this beer.

1.55/5  rDev -51.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Poured from pint can into clear pub glass. Looks promising, nice dark amber color, but fails to deliver...anything, really, except an unpleasant metallic aftertaste. No beer taste to speak of, feels like plain water in the mouth. Perhaps accurate as far as English pubswill goes, but don't waste your money.

1.56/5  rDev -50.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Had on tap at the Cock and Bull in Covington, KY.

Appearance: Deep yellow, big head. So yellow it almost looked artificial. No lacing.

Nose: Metallic. That was the initial aroma. Behind that, lemon. Smelled pretty bad.

Taste: Not much. Metallic, lemony. Maybe a little bit of grassy hops.

Mouth: Fat and wet. Not very carbonated. Like drinking a watered doen milkshake.

Drinkibility: Low. I've had this in cans and now on tap and there are few differences. I won't drink this again.

1.56/5  rDev -50.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

What the hell was this?

Pours with an interesting widget-y cascade... no problems so far ... but the taste is almost non existent. This is seriously as close to water as I've seen from a non macrolager in a while. Almost no flavor at all: just carbonated water with a hint of skunk. I'm serious, what is up with this beer?

One of the worst beers I've had in a while.

1.57/5  rDev -50.6%

A: Dark golden color with a huge creamy white head that has great retention and fantastic lacing.

S: There's almost nothing to smell. Maybe a faint hint of grain and a touch of green apple. Other than that, nothing.

T: Dear God, this was bad. It reminded me of licking a penny when you have a cold. There was this metallic taste that seemed to be the only flavor in the beer and even that tasted watered down like crazy. One of the worst I've ever had.

1.58/5  rDev -50.3%

1pt can. Pours golden-amber in color with a huge, fast disappearing white head. Aroma of stale bread, yeast with some earthy hops and spoiled fruit in the background. Thin body. Flavor was bitter, earthy hops that produced stale, skunky aftertaste. Terrible beer that went into a sink.

1.6/5  rDev -49.7%

Served on nitro in a imperial pint glass.

Appearance: Burnished golden honey color with a thick and creamy white head. Craploads of lacing, but this is to be expected from nitro.

Smell: There is one? Über faint pale malts and herby hoppiness.
Taste: Again, there is one? Am I drinking water here? If you're patient, you can catch some glimpses of pale malt flavor.

Mouthfeel: Light.. oh so light bodied. This is carbonated water. Excuse me.. nitrogenated water.

Drinkability: Well.. this is one sorry ass replacement for Caffrey's. Curse you to hell, Coors! Still, this swill can be slammed home with ease. Stick with Guinness, you at least give off the appearance of looking manly.

1.61/5  rDev -49.4%

A- Pours nicely. 3/4 inch of head. Pale yellow in color. Looked appetizing.

S- Nothing distinct came out of smelling the beer for me. Comparable to Bud Light or Coors.

T- Watery, not much flavor at all for me. Not much flavor from hops or malt.

M- Light and smooth.

O- The beer was not hard to drink. That being said I did not find much to praise in it.

1.63/5  rDev -48.7%

Pours a hazy amber color, with carbonation that rushes to the top to produce a perfect creamy, white fluffy head.

There is a faint floral scent.

The taste is of light toasty malts, a bit sweet and very metallic tasting.

Medium bodied, very smooth and creamy, almost no carbonation at all.

This was difficult to finish, there was almost no taste. Aside from the appearance this was pretty awful.

1.64/5  rDev -48.4%

This can was pretty weird. When I opened it the beer began to gush out uncontrollably. I then poured it into a glass, it was a very light yellow color that had a huge head and a some what musty smell. It was very watery and extremley flat. Not a good brew.

1.66/5  rDev -47.8%

Extremely disappointing. Typical nitro-widget can creamyness, but whatever flavor the beer had was overwhelmed by the nitrogen infusion. What I did get was a fairly bland, slightly metallic flavor with hints of husky tannins. Warming was of no benefit.

1.66/5  rDev -47.8%

Interbev nitro can

Pours okay--bright gold with a nitro head and reverse bubbles.

Smells like sugar and water. Very faint and not very beery.

Tastes like foam and air and little else. There's a hint of honey upfront followed by intense pasturization and almost no aftertaste.

The body is very creamy, but it feels so synthetic that it's actually kind of uncomfortable.

This is like a can full of nitrogen and chemcials. Barely even resembles a beer. I hear this stuff used to be really good, too. What a shame.

1.67/5  rDev -47.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

This is one of the worst beers i have ever tasted.

Appearence: pale gold with a nice creamy cascading head.

Smell: Old grain and caramel malts with metal

Taste: god awful, the malts flavor but the metal can taste overlaps the beer is what i call a 'peasant beer' a beer that is only for looks and shine to the inbev fans everywhere.

i give this beer a 2.25 for it's originality and if you want a true English style 'pub ale' try out Newcastle founders ale or Fullers London Pride

1.68/5  rDev -47.2%

A - poured from the token black and yellow can a perfect head, as per usual, and has a lighter amber colour. not relevant to the style, however.

S - aromas...hmm. Well, I might say that I could blame smelling nothing on my sinuses, but I remedied that problem. I guess then I would say it has, if much of anything, a slight metallic ambiance from the can.

T - very smooth, the head is thick, and I have to agitate the beer in my mouth to effect a stronger bitterness from the hops.

MF - the lack of taste and carbonation leave me wanting to chug the whole glass, as I am thirsty. However, the wateriness is off putting to me, and should not be a characteristic of a beer of this sort, though, their tm 'smooth and creamy' does ring loud, but not to any good effect.

D - very drinkable as mentioned above, but again, too drinkable. It is very much chug-able like a similar nitro-can stout I know and disdain.

1.69/5  rDev -46.9%

The beer looked great. The formation and retention of the head was nice to look at. Unfortunately the liquid was seriously devoid of any recognizable flavor. No hops, no malt, not even a bad flavor, just very,very bland. I have never been a big fan of nitro cans. These were a freebie from a friend so I am not out anything. I am going to try the other two 16oz cans later, if the taste changes I will revise my review. If not I will just look forward to trying something new!

1.7/5  rDev -46.5%

This is a horrible beer

1.72/5  rDev -45.9%

Presentation: 1 pint "Draughtflow System" can. Poured into a proper Imperial pint glass.

Appearance: An amber brew with slight chill haze. An amazing cascading effect produces a 1 finger thick perfect nitro-induced creamy white fluffy head that sticks to the glass and never goes away.

Smell: Clean. Faintly floral with dextrins, faint fruity esters and metallic in the aroma.

Taste: Silky. Silky smooth, soft and creamy. Body is medium. A toasty malt sweetness starts of the experience, it's thin though but gets better as the beer warms. Hops are very gentle, not overly bitter, but rather complementary, floral in taste. Hops are also slightly raw and leafy in the feel. There's some coarseness and bitty-ness that follows, along with a strong metallic flavour on the palate. This carries through into the finish as the beer dries up with a mouthful of strong grain tannins and a grain husk/powdery feel.

Notes: Not a dreadfully bad brew. It's rather mild, making it an okay session bitter for fans. However, the metallic and grain tannin aftertaste is a bit much for my palate and rather annoying. The aftertaste literally murders this beer. I wouldn't purchase this beer for my own consumption.

And, too bad about the nitro. Nitro beers, in general, tend to mask a lot of the beers character ... which is why most nitro beers share common characteristics, regardless of their style.

1.74/5  rDev -45.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A - Poured from a nitro-can into a pint glass creating a dense foam from bottom to top. Once settle, a nice thick head of foam that lingered for a few minutes. Looks really interesting.

S - ??? Can you review something that isn't there? I gave it a 2.0 simply because the beer did cause one to gag.

T - Bland. Flat. I can't even pretend to pick a flavor out.

M - Horrible. I'm not gagging, but my mouth is much closer to a frown than a smile.

O - I suppose this is what you get when you hear a beer name on a rerun of Friends. This beer will not be permitted in my fridge, even for temporary storage. Rarely does a beer get poured out....but this one isn't even worth finishing.

1.75/5  rDev -45%

Paid out way too much for this stuff. Bland, almost flat tasting. Came in a four pack, was charged Bud Beer case prices. Would not purchase again, even if on sale.

Pale in appearance.
Not much carbonation too speak of.
Very flat tasting, not pleasant on the palate.

Boddingtons Pub Ale from Boddingtons