Boddingtons Pub Ale - Boddingtons

Boddingtons visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-20-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Boddingtons Pub Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,081 | Hads: 2,582
1.63/5  rDev -49.2%

Pours a hazy amber color, with carbonation that rushes to the top to produce a perfect creamy, white fluffy head.

There is a faint floral scent.

The taste is of light toasty malts, a bit sweet and very metallic tasting.

Medium bodied, very smooth and creamy, almost no carbonation at all.

This was difficult to finish, there was almost no taste. Aside from the appearance this was pretty awful. (398 characters)

1.64/5  rDev -48.9%

This can was pretty weird. When I opened it the beer began to gush out uncontrollably. I then poured it into a glass, it was a very light yellow color that had a huge head and a some what musty smell. It was very watery and extremley flat. Not a good brew. (256 characters)

1.66/5  rDev -48.3%

Extremely disappointing. Typical nitro-widget can creamyness, but whatever flavor the beer had was overwhelmed by the nitrogen infusion. What I did get was a fairly bland, slightly metallic flavor with hints of husky tannins. Warming was of no benefit. (255 characters)

1.66/5  rDev -48.3%

Interbev nitro can

Pours okay--bright gold with a nitro head and reverse bubbles.

Smells like sugar and water. Very faint and not very beery.

Tastes like foam and air and little else. There's a hint of honey upfront followed by intense pasturization and almost no aftertaste.

The body is very creamy, but it feels so synthetic that it's actually kind of uncomfortable.

This is like a can full of nitrogen and chemcials. Barely even resembles a beer. I hear this stuff used to be really good, too. What a shame. (527 characters)

1.67/5  rDev -48%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

This is one of the worst beers i have ever tasted.

Appearence: pale gold with a nice creamy cascading head.

Smell: Old grain and caramel malts with metal

Taste: god awful, the malts flavor but the metal can taste overlaps the beer is what i call a 'peasant beer' a beer that is only for looks and shine to the inbev fans everywhere.

i give this beer a 2.25 for it's originality and if you want a true English style 'pub ale' try out Newcastle founders ale or Fullers London Pride

1.68/5  rDev -47.7%

A - poured from the token black and yellow can a perfect head, as per usual, and has a lighter amber colour. not relevant to the style, however.

S - aromas...hmm. Well, I might say that I could blame smelling nothing on my sinuses, but I remedied that problem. I guess then I would say it has, if much of anything, a slight metallic ambiance from the can.

T - very smooth, the head is thick, and I have to agitate the beer in my mouth to effect a stronger bitterness from the hops.

MF - the lack of taste and carbonation leave me wanting to chug the whole glass, as I am thirsty. However, the wateriness is off putting to me, and should not be a characteristic of a beer of this sort, though, their tm 'smooth and creamy' does ring loud, but not to any good effect.

D - very drinkable as mentioned above, but again, too drinkable. It is very much chug-able like a similar nitro-can stout I know and disdain. (911 characters)

1.69/5  rDev -47.4%

The beer looked great. The formation and retention of the head was nice to look at. Unfortunately the liquid was seriously devoid of any recognizable flavor. No hops, no malt, not even a bad flavor, just very,very bland. I have never been a big fan of nitro cans. These were a freebie from a friend so I am not out anything. I am going to try the other two 16oz cans later, if the taste changes I will revise my review. If not I will just look forward to trying something new! (476 characters)

1.72/5  rDev -46.4%

Presentation: 1 pint "Draughtflow System" can. Poured into a proper Imperial pint glass.

Appearance: An amber brew with slight chill haze. An amazing cascading effect produces a 1 finger thick perfect nitro-induced creamy white fluffy head that sticks to the glass and never goes away.

Smell: Clean. Faintly floral with dextrins, faint fruity esters and metallic in the aroma.

Taste: Silky. Silky smooth, soft and creamy. Body is medium. A toasty malt sweetness starts of the experience, it's thin though but gets better as the beer warms. Hops are very gentle, not overly bitter, but rather complementary, floral in taste. Hops are also slightly raw and leafy in the feel. There's some coarseness and bitty-ness that follows, along with a strong metallic flavour on the palate. This carries through into the finish as the beer dries up with a mouthful of strong grain tannins and a grain husk/powdery feel.

Notes: Not a dreadfully bad brew. It's rather mild, making it an okay session bitter for fans. However, the metallic and grain tannin aftertaste is a bit much for my palate and rather annoying. The aftertaste literally murders this beer. I wouldn't purchase this beer for my own consumption.

And, too bad about the nitro. Nitro beers, in general, tend to mask a lot of the beers character ... which is why most nitro beers share common characteristics, regardless of their style. (1,392 characters)

1.74/5  rDev -45.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A - Poured from a nitro-can into a pint glass creating a dense foam from bottom to top. Once settle, a nice thick head of foam that lingered for a few minutes. Looks really interesting.

S - ??? Can you review something that isn't there? I gave it a 2.0 simply because the beer did cause one to gag.

T - Bland. Flat. I can't even pretend to pick a flavor out.

M - Horrible. I'm not gagging, but my mouth is much closer to a frown than a smile.

O - I suppose this is what you get when you hear a beer name on a rerun of Friends. This beer will not be permitted in my fridge, even for temporary storage. Rarely does a beer get poured out....but this one isn't even worth finishing. (682 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -45.5%

Paid out way too much for this stuff. Bland, almost flat tasting. Came in a four pack, was charged Bud Beer case prices. Would not purchase again, even if on sale.

Pale in appearance.
Not much carbonation too speak of.
Very flat tasting, not pleasant on the palate. (266 characters)

1.77/5  rDev -44.9%

1 pint nitro can. The can itself is a bright yellow color with a black bottom. The word Boddingtons is in a horseshoe aorund their symbol, a barrel with gold rims and around those rims are honey bees. I guess their queen or honey is in that barrel, I don't know. The back of the can had some info about the brewery, info about the beer, info about their DraughtFlow system, correct serving temperature, and correct pouring procedure.

When I first popped the tab, it sounded like a snake hissing. HISSSS!! After I gained control of the flow, I poured it into my Brooklyn Brewery pint glass. The beer was this clear amber color with a massive head of white and creamy head of foam. The head of foam still remained during the duration of the beer. Every time it receded, it left plenty of lace in its tracks. Very Nice!

The aroma only had the slightest faint smell of bitter spicy hops and some fruit in the background. Not much going on in the aroma department!

The taste was EXTREMELY watery! That was the initial taste and after that there was only a slightest bit of flavor of just very little malt and very little hops. Sometimes it felt that I was drinking hops flavored water. It wasn't too awful, except for the fact there was nothing going on in the taste.

The mouthfeel is just what I guessed after the taste, very light and very watery. Granted there was a slight bitter aftertaste in there, but only very slight. It's not that noticeable.

Drinkability: Since there was little flavor in this, You can probably chug a couple down if you wanted to. Everything except for the appearance, was just bad. I won't spend another $2 for this beer again. (1,668 characters)

1.78/5  rDev -44.5%

First off, the can exploded. I found this beer at my local supermarket in a four-pack of tall cans. My friend opened one before the rest of us and warned us that his exploded all over him, so we were cautious, but the damn thing blew up on us too! The next day, we let our other friend have the last one...explode.

This beer is dangerous.

A - Crystal clear orange-brown with creamy, very white head.

S - Very wheaty. Smelled to me like a typical American adjunct lager with a slight sweetness character.

T - Very watery and thin tasting. Very similar to a BMC. Some of my friends who reviewed with me said that it was actually tasteless.

M - Light-bodied, thin and watery.

D - The finish brought out a wheaty flavour with time, but never really improved the taste. This beer is decently drinkable if you aren't looking to have a ton of flavour, just something cold. Overall, not very impressed. (900 characters)

1.81/5  rDev -43.6%

Boddingtons, when you get down to it, is just downright nasty. It looks good. Pours an awesome crème' head with a sort of horse piss looking body. The smell is interesting, a little buttery, but not much else. Taste is just $#@%#^T awkward! It’s creamy, offensive, and bitter at the same time. I keep giving it chances to win me over, but every time I try before I finish a pint it hits my yacking mechanism. It’s much better to start out drinking this, because if you have any other beer before this, it reminds you of milk. The mouthfeel is typical nitro flat fluff. The drinkability is just gross, I still can't get used to it. Don't know how the Brit's drink it, but I gotta hand it to them blokes for staying with it! (725 characters)

1.81/5  rDev -43.6%

You better be standing outside or near a sink when you crack this one. The un-tapped can is an explosion waiting to happen. I drank this beer several times over the course of a couple of years because I am trying to see what my buddy sees in this crap. In my opinion, it's no different than any of the light beers I have ever tasted. Miller, Keystone, Coors, etc.,etc. This stuff is awful. The only enjoyment I get out of this beer is watching the cascade after I pour it into a glass. The color is clear straw, the smell is faintly fruity, the taste and mouthfeel are lacking, and the finish is clear and clean to the point of it being water.

Boddingtons. I just don't get it. (681 characters)

1.82/5  rDev -43.3%

I first tasted Boddingtons Pub Ale about 5 months ago. I held off reviewing this beer in order to try to gain some perspective. I believe that I have.

My overwhelming impression is that this is one weak-ass beer. Water has considerably more flavor. Wait, there is a taste, but it is like dissolving a gram of sugar into a five gallon jug of water. It pours a cascade of foam out of the nitro can and quickly resolves itself into a clear, dark yellow with a very respectable head. There is no appreciable aroma to the common man. Mouthfeel falls right into line with taste. The highlight of this beer is it's drinkability; I could detect no alcohol and could drink this all day...but why would I want to? Boddingtons Pub Ale is not so much a "drain pour" as a "why bother." It is not, however, the worst beer I have ever tasted. (829 characters)

1.82/5  rDev -43.3%

This beer has a cascading settle to it very similar to that of Guinness or Caffreys but the color here is very very gold-yellow. Crayola used to have a crayon color called maize which might describe the color better. There was a time when I used to like a Boddingtons-Guinness black and tan and I am sure glad those days are over.
I tried this beer yesterday (8/21/04) in some taste tournaments of the various beers that were available on tap at a downtown Boston pub. The others we compared and tested (there were 3 of us) were Pilsner Urquel, Harpoon IPA, Smithwicks, Sam Adams blue label, Sam Adams Summer Ale, and Bass. I really thought this was the worst beer of all. Each other beer had something going for it except this one. My friends felt the same way. Bitter and a woody finish but woody in a dirty piece of wood way. Nothing to like about the mouthfeel or drinkability either. (889 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -42.7%

Nice to look at, I guess, pours a very see-through gold color with the nitro-head. Smooth mouthfeel due to the nitro and no real carbonation, which works for guiness because of the richness of the brew, but here just points out the places where this one truly lacks. Slightly sweet flavor, very little hops, in the nose or on the palate. The after-feel in the mouth is slightly chalky, like drinking dust. Tastes like a flat, bad, near-macro. Not impressed. (457 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -41.4%

Appears an orange like golden color with a thick full bodied white head.

It smells metallic, of oats, sugary, and mildly of toffee. Does not smell bad but I don't like the metallic smell.

It really does not taste like much. There is a metallic taste, a sweet mild biscuit tasting malt flavor and that is it. It is unforgettable and bland. It's the kind of beer that could put you to sleep in the middle of a sip.

There is a slight creamy texture and a low carbonation.

It drinks like water as there is not very much flavor to the beer. I however don't want to drink another one of these because it is so boring. (616 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -41.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured into a pilsner glass

Pours clear and a little darker than straw yellow with the thick foam head you have come to expect from a widget, and therefore laces heavily. I know some people hate nitro, but the cascade is beautiful...

Aroma is hard to detect at first (I always find nitro head does that), but comes through as much more vegetal than I expect, disgustingly so.

Taste is cooked vegetal and canned corn along with a hint of honey, apple and a bit of earthy bitterness.

Finishes clean and smooth, but is almost bland as there isn't enough carbonation left in the beer.

Overall: Why did I go and try this beer again? Why? I thought that I had enjoyed it before, but now that I have tried so many that are so good I know better... Sigh. Why must I no longer like a crap beer? (792 characters)

1.92/5  rDev -40.2%

Nitro-can into a pint glass

A--- Poured a pale straw with a typical nitro head.

S--- Acetaldehyde and solvent-like aromas.

T--- Metallic tasting with mild bitterness. A little malt emerged after it warmed up a little.

M--- Thin to medium bodied. It would be watery if it was not for the beer gas.

D--- To much cane sugar in the grist most likely caused the cider aroma and thinned out the body. The metallic taste could only come from the can so I'm not sure if the aluminum was exposed or just a poorly crafted can. Honestly, it was just awful (560 characters)

1.92/5  rDev -40.2%

A - Golden color with a few bubbles here and there. Very thick, creamy white head. 3.0

S - Strong sour apple/fruit notes. Not too impressive otherwise. 2.0

T - The taste is very light and brief. It's disappointing; considering the creamy texture of this beer you'd think it'd be full of flavor, but instead it's only a flash in the pan. Has a mild, sweet malt flavor mixed with a sour, metallic taste in the beginning which dissolves into a bready, grain alcohol taste. Barely any aftertaste at all except maybe more bread or yeast. 1.5

M - Really creamy and buttery, especially if you sip just the head at the beginning. The texture is really nice. It's light and easy to drink, but also creamy and filling. 3.5

O - I think Boddington's has its place as a beer to drink at the pub on a warm summer day. It's cheap, easy to drink and tastes...good enough. But I think compared to other cheaper brews, it falls far short on flavor. This may be due to the fact that it's been imported and didn't survive the trip, though I won't be able to say until I make another trip over to the UK and try it on-tap. 2.0 (1,109 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -39.9%

This can exploded when i opened it. Not much to say about this beer. Gold in color. nice white head though. smell has very faint hops. taste is ugly bitter. Too watery for me. All in all, i would rather hump the hell out of a yak's sweet ass and then lap up the hot sweat dripping off of its scrodum. (300 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -38.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

A - clear golden with an amazing stout lasting foam.

S - smelt Luke cheap domestic.

T - super lite. Almost watery. The bar maid was wrong on this one. She must like very lite brews.

M - almost unnoticed. Bland.

D - like glasses of water, why bother? This is easily drinkable, but not worth paying for. (305 characters)

1.97/5  rDev -38.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

I am old enough to remember when Boddingtons made a proper beer this is not an example of proper English Beer. Back in the 60s and 70s we had the vile Keg Beers replaced by action by groups like Camera with a return to Real Ale. English Beer is better now than it has ever been yet too many brewers offer awful bland beers like this presumably to encourage younger drinkers to beer or away from lager. Bland and tasteless (other than the metallic aftertaste) this is simply an awful representation of beer. (509 characters)

1.99/5  rDev -38%

Brought to the table looking a little paler than most English Pales I've sampled, but not a bad color. A little orange and tan. Decent one finger head with equally decent retention.

Scent was weak. A slight favoring of malt, but little else.

Taste was also weak. Again, a slight malt flavor, but little else. Thoroughly lacking that mineral quality that I've come to expect of these hard water British beers. No complexity, no depth. Just a slight sweet malt.

Mouthfeel was particularly bad in my opinion. The body has only a slightly higher consistancy than water. Just not appealing at all.

Goes down easy doesn't necessarily taste bad, but there's nothing to make me want another either. (702 characters)

Boddingtons Pub Ale from Boddingtons