1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Boddingtons Pub Ale - Boddingtons

Boddingtons Pub AleBoddingtons Pub Ale

awful

Ratings: 1985

Boddingtons visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-20-2001)
View: Beers (2) |  Events
Ratings: 1,985 | Reviews: 1,033 | Show All Ratings:
Furlinator

3.33/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours translucent honey gold with a full one inch cream head that remains as a thick cap on top and leaves curtains of lace.

The smell is somewhat muted and consists of grains (wheat, barley and corn), very faint grassy hops and some sweet cream aroma.

The flavor too, is somewhat bland: bready grain, faint citrus and sweet cream.

The texture is light bodied with low carbonation.

This is certainly not an awful tasting brew. All the components come across so lightly that the end result feels just slightly thicker and more flavorful than water.

04-08-2014 03:08:42 | More by Furlinator
utopiajane

3.08/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours a caramel honey brown with a flourish of dirty, milky looking bubbles that meet a slight but creamy head of long lasting foam. Bubbles stick to the side of the glass and almost obscure a tiny bit of sediment in the beer. Nose is earthy and smells a bit like dirt at first. Then it becomes grassy and very herbal. It has a bit of sour form the mixture of grains. A flaked corn sweetness emerges as it warms and it becomes more pleasant as you drink it.

Taste follows the nose. Husky, herbal, earthy and with a bit of bitter in the finish. I looked hard for any metallic quality and could not find any. The mouthfeel is soft and creamy from the nitro and it is a surprise if you are not expecting it. I did feel that the beer was a bit thin but not really bland and the grass and herbal , although not fruity offered plenty of flavor and texture. Just a touch of diacetyl in this to remind you of popcorn. Goes to the finish dry and with more grass and a moderate bitter. Husky earthy, grainy, grassy, pungent and herbal.

02-01-2014 17:12:52 | More by utopiajane
Jdbateman83

3.03/5  rDev -5%

I would buy it again. Not my favorite, but given a limited selection and being in the mood I would drink it. It's strange, it is hoppy, but it does by linger at all. Not bitter but not sweet. Darker gold color for such a light flavor. Really nice packaging and advertising. The can likes to say "import" on it.

08-31-2013 03:23:42 | More by Jdbateman83
rallyr32

2.11/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

I was unpleasantly surprised by how much this tasted like a less-carbonated Bud Light. The "darughtology" is a definite gimmick, and although the beer pours with a medium head and has a gold look and creamy feel, it definitely lacks real substance and is a forgettable experience. I suppose you could cut open the can and you would have a pretty decent dreidel to play with, but that's where the interesting characteristics of this beer end.

07-16-2013 18:11:57 | More by rallyr32
Tonmeister

Georgia

2.65/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

Can Poured in a pint Mug

Appearance: Light golden yellow with a thin solid white head. The lacing leaves a ring around the glass when tilting the mug.

Smell: Corn, Banana, sweet malt, smells kinds like a pilsner.

Taste: Banana, Corn, Malt, bready. The taste follows the aroma.

Mouthfeel: pretty thin with very little to no carbonation.

Overall, I am not to crazy about English Pale Ale's. It's pretty sweet. I prefer the american counterpart.

06-23-2013 09:34:52 | More by Tonmeister
Roman5150

Spain

2.45/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 2.5

draught can into pint glass

appearance: light amber golden orange, foamy 2 finger thick white head

smell: bready, creamy sweetness, milk, some minor fruit

taste: Tastes like a banana bread flavored pilsner, with some bready notes mixed in. Real lack of carbonation and other flavors though, not much aftertaste, tastes very watered down.

mouthfeel: basically zero carbonation, creamy thin feel

overall: AI've lived in England and I guess I just don't like english beer. This however isn't even available in the UK, as it's their export version. Very watered down and the mouthfeel is horrendously absent, but the subtle Banana and cream flavors creep through to make something about this beer enjoyable.

06-23-2013 09:31:21 | More by Roman5150
GaetanoBresci

Switzerland

4.63/5  rDev +45.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer, is a really creamy beer. The appearance is perfect, I ve never see a beer from can appear like just poured from a pub tap. Taste is a bit weak for the tipe of beer, but terrific if consedered that is in can. Really good, I will fdefinetly buy again!

06-14-2013 11:47:46 | More by GaetanoBresci
Samp01

2.15/5  rDev -32.6%

500ml can. Pours a crystal clear copper amber with a small white lasting head. Aroma and Taste is of light grains, fruity with some light biscuit malt. Palate is a light body with very light carbonation. Finish is sweet light biscuit malt, grainy, light fruity notes. Flavor and aroma is a bit flat as well as the carbonation. Overall an ok brew not much else.

07-24-2012 19:56:08 | More by Samp01
jsisko01

3.8/5  rDev +19.1%

Appearance - Pours a somewhat clear, light orange hue with a thin creamy head.

Smell - I can smell the bitter yeast and floral notes.

Taste - Pretty bitter. Has a subtle sweetness, along with a floral and bready aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Light body with low carbonation.

Overall - This is definitely one of the better pale ales.

04-29-2012 04:37:17 | More by jsisko01
rudolphjacksonm

1.9/5  rDev -40.4%

A - Golden color with a few bubbles here and there. Very thick, creamy white head. 3.0

S - Strong sour apple/fruit notes. Not too impressive otherwise. 2.0

T - The taste is very light and brief. It's disappointing; considering the creamy texture of this beer you'd think it'd be full of flavor, but instead it's only a flash in the pan. Has a mild, sweet malt flavor mixed with a sour, metallic taste in the beginning which dissolves into a bready, grain alcohol taste. Barely any aftertaste at all except maybe more bread or yeast. 1.5

M - Really creamy and buttery, especially if you sip just the head at the beginning. The texture is really nice. It's light and easy to drink, but also creamy and filling. 3.5

O - I think Boddington's has its place as a beer to drink at the pub on a warm summer day. It's cheap, easy to drink and tastes...good enough. But I think compared to other cheaper brews, it falls far short on flavor. This may be due to the fact that it's been imported and didn't survive the trip, though I won't be able to say until I make another trip over to the UK and try it on-tap. 2.0

02-10-2012 19:49:50 | More by rudolphjacksonm
Bigdaddymatt86

South Carolina

3.73/5  rDev +16.9%

Draught can poured into a pint glass

A: A soft gold color with a bit of a foggy look to it. An off white Foamy head, with almost a honey like look.

S: The smell is a little sweet with an almost floral scent.

T: Creamy, without that bitter beer after taste at first. The beer is best flavored chilled but not cold. The beer actually loses its lack of after taste as the glass is finished the last few sips come with a sort of disgusting mouthful of grains and hops. This is probably one of the only things about the beer i didn't enjoy.

M: Again, creamy not bad but not excellent either. The creaminess was quite unique and good however it does start to become old after a while.

O: Over all I thought this was a very good beer, i prefer a unique feel and taste in my beer, however after drinking the four pack of draught cans i had no strong desire to drink anymore as the creamy flavor really became over whelming. The beer is not great, not terrible, just good. I will be drinking this again.

02-04-2012 18:06:38 | More by Bigdaddymatt86
Nordstrand

3.7/5  rDev +16%

This is a good pub ale. Have had it on draught and in a can and either way is mellow and tasty. Serious creamy head.

It gets extra points because it is best you can get in a can at the 7-11 near my apartment. If you haven't planned and need a reasonable beer last minute Boddingtons will make you happy.

12-02-2011 02:43:34 | More by Nordstrand
bravejoejoe

Montana

2.95/5  rDev -7.5%

A - poured creamy white due to the little ball inside the can. The head is a very thinck creamy white. a nice head stays around for a while. The color is a dark straw yellow. No carbonation to note here.
S - Maybe metallic, hops. not much in the way of smell.
T - a light flavor, hops are dominatei get a tiny but of malt in the background.

10-19-2011 02:16:26 | More by bravejoejoe
NickRivers

2.1/5  rDev -34.2%

A&S - Pours a creamy tan color, then settles to a clear gold with a thin creamy white head. Smells very bland and grainy, with some caramel.

T&M - Tastes very watery, bland and grainy, carbonation is very flat. Mouthfeel is super light. The lightest hop presence you could ever imagine in the finish.

O - Overall a terrible beer in my opinion. A few of my buddies liked it, claiming it was "Smooth and Creamy" as the label described. Planning to give it another shot. Stay thirsty my friends!

09-20-2011 00:06:22 | More by NickRivers
andrenaline

Ontario (Canada)

A – Pours a crystal clear golden copper colour, finger of creamy white head, solid retention and some sporadic lacing.

S – Quite light and metallic with a touch of leafy hops and caramel coming through.

T – Again, quite light with a touch of caramel and honey, some leafy hops, though slightly metallic and not much of an aftertaste.

M – A tad thin and watery, though it does have a touch of dryness on the finish.

O – A tasty English pale ale, but a bit bland for my liking. Certainly not a bold drink, but easily drinkable nonetheless.

07-02-2011 21:49:44 | More by andrenaline
gatorguy

2.98/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours a yellow color with a on and a half finger creamy white head. Smell is faint, but is of bready malts. Taste is mostly like the head, very bready, some earthy hops in the mix, and a slightly sweet character. Goes down easy and is highly sessionable. On the whole, it's a decent EPA that does what is expected. Nothing outstanding, but not bad either.

07-02-2011 18:34:01 | More by gatorguy
djura

Serbia

3.33/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It is more lager then ale when you taste it,but when you pour it in the glass,wow!

Appearance: Bright amber orange with nice white head,very creamy when you pour it,but after minute it looks more like lager,but with standing foam.
Smell: It smells on some fruits, biscuit aromas,nice.
Taste:It has some bitterness,with some less aroma then it is used in ales.
Very nice to drink it.

05-13-2011 19:11:22 | More by djura
BaronRogue

3.38/5  rDev +6%

Hmm, can has some sort of weird pressurizing ball in it, interesting...

Pours really well, deep gold with big head.

Smells like ....beer. Haha. Grains and some weird metallic hop aroma.

Tastes quite nice, like a wheaty meaty cream.

Mouthfeel was...well... let's just say i wish someone had told me that English pub ales are flat, with zero carbonation. So, if you didnt know, there you go... the reason it's "creamy" is because it's all liquid. Apparently the only gas in English Pub ales is just to get it from the keg to the glass. I have no idea how a beer can have a huge head and no bubbles, but... i'm a rookie and I learned the hard way haha. I would rate it a 1, but i'm sure this is average for the style.

Drinkability.... after you get over the fact that you're drinking flat beer, it's not bad. Makes me drink faster just to get it over with.

02-14-2011 02:15:07 | More by BaronRogue
CuriousMonk

3.68/5  rDev +15.4%

Usually poured on tap or from tall can. Pours a medium, frothy, white head, and a clear, golden appearance, with tiny roiling bubbles. There is a lot of creamy, thick lacing left down the glass, much like a milk shake. The aroma is almost undetectable, but one can pick up some barley malt, with effort. Taste is mostly malt, but there is some hop bitterness showing up at the end of the sip, which gives the ale a minimal bite. Mouth-feel is light to medium, and Boddingtons Pub Ale finishes semi-dry. Overall, this is a rather bland product, but I'd say it's pretty good.

01-31-2011 22:20:46 | More by CuriousMonk
JRed

3.1/5  rDev -2.8%

Transparent golden body topped by creamy white head that sticks around for a while. Aroma of sugar, floral, cream, and slight hop leaf. Cream, milk, slight cereal, flour, hop dryness towards the finish. Thick, creamy mouthfeel with little carbonation. Lacking flavor and containing no standout characteristics other than creaminess, this beer is average in all aspects.

01-05-2011 02:24:39 | More by JRed
obrendano

Maryland

3.3/5  rDev +3.4%

bought a widget can of this. barely put any pressure on the tab and the can pretty much exploded with head shooting me in the hand and face and dripping onto my desk. really, Boddingtons?

A - despite my mishap, an incredibly creamy head was poured that I stared at for a good 2 or 3 minutes as it swirled and settled. beer itself is a pale, dull amber

S - that roasty pale ale smell that I love. nothing more needs to be said

T - despite all this, it's a somewhat thin, bland tasting beer. the character of a good ale is there, but nothing really makes it pop with any life or distinction between any other random beer. good maltiness though. still, the head seems to have 5 times of a taste profile than the actual beer itself

M - thick head stays on top of a thin and watery body. meh

D - by no means is this unfinishable, but the late blooming malt finish is really the only thing that would keep me coming back. now if you'll excuse me, I have to get beer out of my keyboard

12-22-2010 19:43:33 | More by obrendano
Hempdigler

3.73/5  rDev +16.9%

Everytime I hold a tall can in my hand all I can think is "I said get the talls snotrag" (The Stoned Age, 1994). Escaping the normal image of the silver bullet tall'ie Boddington's classes up the joint with it's Draughtflow enhanced 1 pint canister of frothy sweet goodness.

On the side of the Boddington's can are proper drinking and pouring directions (always a sign of a good beer).

I grabbed my "kick ass beer glass," as I call it, and commence proper pourage. The glass filled completely with foam! I doubled checked my pouring procedures in case I made a mistake but I did not. I looked back at my glass and watched in amazement as the foam circled, and slowly condensed into a frothy one inch head at the top of my glass. Below was the sweet light golden nectar I had been looking for. For how how much foam the beer started with I was surprised at the lack of bubbles sprouting from the sides of my mug. They were mostly concentrated at the bottom with it beeing clear on the sides.

I'm a sniffer, I took a good whiff of the beer prior to my first sip. Much like other pale beers it has a sweet smell like apple/pear juice.

My first sip was smooth and creamy due to the thick frothy head. The beer has a creamy, honey, and barley taste making it a good drinkable beer but not a standout.

I enjoyed the after taste more than I enjoyed the actual taste, it was that nice bitter taste that only appears on the back end of your tounge and on your tonsils. It also gave me that dry mouth feeling, that leaves you yearning for another sip.

All in all, I enjoyed the beer quite a bit, I loved the formation of the head, and I enjoyed the aftertaste quite a bit. I would definetly buy this beer again and recommend it to someone who is just dicovering the world of "good ass beers."

12-10-2010 20:38:47 | More by Hempdigler
mikeg67

1.5/5  rDev -53%

1pt can. Pours golden-amber in color with a huge, fast disappearing white head. Aroma of stale bread, yeast with some earthy hops and spoiled fruit in the background. Thin body. Flavor was bitter, earthy hops that produced stale, skunky aftertaste. Terrible beer that went into a sink.

12-07-2010 22:06:34 | More by mikeg67
MoreThanWine

2.53/5  rDev -20.7%

So look, this beer's big claim to fame is it feels like a fresh draught when you pour the can. THAT IT DOES. I was quite impressed in fact - it's a frothy effervescent brew indeed. And the color is a really nice orangy gold.

Other than that where's the beer? It is so mild and sweet it hardly even registered to reach American Pilsner levels. I'd still choose it over those, because at least it has something interesting going on. But it's probably among the most watery beers I've had. Plus that charming effervescence leaves pretty quickly so if you don't drink up you're left with just colored water.

11-17-2010 22:10:42 | More by MoreThanWine
satchmo91

Louisiana

1.78/5  rDev -44.2%

First off, the can exploded. I found this beer at my local supermarket in a four-pack of tall cans. My friend opened one before the rest of us and warned us that his exploded all over him, so we were cautious, but the damn thing blew up on us too! The next day, we let our other friend have the last one...explode.

This beer is dangerous.

A - Crystal clear orange-brown with creamy, very white head.

S - Very wheaty. Smelled to me like a typical American adjunct lager with a slight sweetness character.

T - Very watery and thin tasting. Very similar to a BMC. Some of my friends who reviewed with me said that it was actually tasteless.

M - Light-bodied, thin and watery.

D - The finish brought out a wheaty flavour with time, but never really improved the taste. This beer is decently drinkable if you aren't looking to have a ton of flavour, just something cold. Overall, not very impressed.

09-13-2010 23:20:15 | More by satchmo91