Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Boddingtons Pub Ale - Boddingtons

Boddingtons Pub AleBoddingtons Pub Ale

Boddingtons visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-20-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Boddingtons Pub Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,083 | Hads: 2,599
3.64/5  rDev +14.1%

This is a good pub ale. Have had it on draught and in a can and either way is mellow and tasty. Serious creamy head.

It gets extra points because it is best you can get in a can at the 7-11 near my apartment. If you haven't planned and need a reasonable beer last minute Boddingtons will make you happy.

3.65/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

This is not the best beer of all time, sure, but it is getting hit hard on this site!

I just drank one and I'm glad I bought a 4-pack.

Since there have been almost 2000 ratings to date, I'm going to review with respect to them.

A: Darker than you'd expect. Honestly, more head than you'd expect.
S: About what you'd predict. Grains, a bit of grass...not much going on.
T: Better than you think. It's a great cream ale, and if you don't want a cream ale, it's a great dog treat.
M: The creamy mouthfeel of this beer is a real treat. I think this is the least honest category on BA; who can tell me that the mouthfeel of a quad is honestly better than this?
O: If it's on draft and it's happy hour, have one!

2.82/5  rDev -11.6%

The beer pours into a gorgeous cascading whirlpool of goodness. It really is a sight. The head is snow white and thick. It never lets up throughout the whole journey. Unfortunately it's the best thing about the ale. The smell is kind of wheaty like budweiser or miller. Not that bad, but not much better. The taste is kind of bland in my opinion. Not a whole lot going on. It has a slight hoppy taste and a pretty strong apple taste. It's fruity but not very complex. The mouthfeel is similar to guiness, but I prefer guiness. It's a refreshing beer. Easy to drink and above average. Not all that special though.

3.99/5  rDev +25.1%

On nitro-tap. Eat Bar @ Talula's in Arlington, VA
Nitro cascade is a great presentation in a regular pint glass.
Taste of cream ale, smooth with hint of bitter in finish.
Thicker mouth feel due to it tasting like a cream ale
Drinkable but not a session beer to me.

1.49/5  rDev -53.3%

Can tried to explode all over when I first opened it. The appearance was nice with a really creamy head. However the taste was almost nonexistent. I don't know if it was just my can or what but it was like drinking carbonated water. The flavor was just not there. The one thing I really did enjoy about this was the creamy head. I don't know that I have experienced anything quite the same. The fact that the head stuck around the whole time was nice too.

Overall I honestly think I would rather drink a PBR or High Life and for me that's saying something. Just not something enjoyable in this can. I would be willing to give it a try on tap though.

4.04/5  rDev +26.6%

Boddingtons Bitter

The Cream of Manchester....

No matter how poor you pour this one, it always manages to settle with a perfect head.

Boddingtons has been enjoyed by beer drinkers in England for more than 200 years, and is well known for its creamy head and smooth body. It is now sold in over 30 countries worldwide, and can be drunk on tap in places as far afield as New Zealand and Hong Kong. Boddingtons is positioned as a premium import in its overseas markets, and this sector has seen rapid growth in the last ten years, as drinkers are keen to experiment with different beer styles and tastes, and often drink beers they remember from places they have traveled to.

4.21/5  rDev +32%

This is one of my favorites from the nitro-can, so I jumped on the opportunity to try it on draft at cobblestones in York, PA. Set in front of me with all but an inch being creamy, upside down waterfall head. Beautiful. The smell is slightly bitter, nothing extraordinary. When the head finally settled to an inch or two, the first sip is deep and refreshing, with a slightly more berrylike finish than the canned version. I love the mustache people get when drinking this beer. As drinkable as water, you can really throw these down if you want to. You don't much feel the alchohol until the second or third boddingtons, as it comes on rather smooth. If you like the can, you'll love the draft.

3.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Boddingtons pours a deep gold color. The beer has a very clean feel in your mouth that is refreshing, but this ale promises a taste that it cannot deliver. There is a very good taste hiding in the beer, but it is very subtle. Honestly, it tastes like a light beer in that it tastes like a watered down version of a beer, which is disappointing because there is a good, refreshing taste hiding there.

1.36/5  rDev -57.4%

A - Good average looking beer

Smell - Nothing special. Very light smell.

T - Just like water

M - Yh, they talk about how smooth it is and i won't disagagree. It is really smooth. Like a glass of plain water

D - Who the hell will drink this again. It is a glass of water with alcohol and yellow colour.

Note: I really hate this beer and I wouldn't advise anyone to drink it.

4.56/5  rDev +42.9%

A champion beer in every sense of the word. I am surprised at the low ratings for this. It has a wonderful appearance (and I am not a big amber guy) and a perfect head. The taste is toasty and comforting. Probably the best of the more "popular" beers.

4.11/5  rDev +28.8%

Now that I've had this ale a few times, from the can, not much of a rating difference. I've had a chance to whiff the aroma, and upped the rating a half point, but everything else is still the same. Compared to the on-tap review I did. This ale is very good. Beyond drinkable in my opinion at this time.

3.03/5  rDev -5%

Boddingtons Pub Ale always leaves me confused when I drink it. One day I can love it and the next hate it. My first thought is that Boddingtons should put these in 18-20 oz cans instead of the 16 they give you. You are almost guaranteed to lose 2-4 oz as soon as you open these nitro cans! :)

It does pour nice into a pint glass and settles also very nicely. Taste seems to be greatly affected by temp. more so than other beers and ales. If this is chilled just to much, it seems to lose all its flavor. When at the correct serving temp, it does have a nice taste to it. This is my "Oh why did I drink so much of (INSERT BEER NAME HERE) last night" beer. It is a very silky drink and much easier going down if you had a few to many of a mass produced beer the night before. Nothing amazing here but nothing offending either. At $7.99us for a 4-pack, you can probably do a LOT better...

3.19/5  rDev 0%

It's a fairly nice, fairly flat, ale that is perfect on a warm/hot day (when served cold).

The flavor is mild, the taste is also mild, but, maybe it's just me, it's a great beer for a "session."

This is one beer that, while not up to certain people's hoppy standards, I keep coming back to again and again. It's like an affair with that plain looking mistress who satisfies, at a certain price point, like nobody else can.

3.43/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Somewhere between a golden hue to a copper color. White head reduces to less than a finger within a minute or two. Fine bubbles edge the glass, with a few making their way through the brew.

S - Not much on the nose. A bit grassy.

T - Not too much there, similar to the taste. A bit bitter, with a touch of citrus or banana in there. Finishes with something biscuity.

M - Thin, minimal carbonation.

D - I could have a few of these in the sense that there's nothing to write home about. Easy enough to get down.

3.86/5  rDev +21%

A- Slight yellow, small amounts of lacing. I allowed the can to settle after opening. I imagine had I poured it sooner after opening, there would be more of a head.

S- Didn't get much of a smell. Small trace amounts of hops.

T- Not to overpowering, but not real strong. Just right in the middle. Which for me is a welcomed change sometimes.

M- Smooth mounthfeel.

D- I have no problem doing two of these in a sitting.

4.5/5  rDev +41.1%

Boddingtons is an excellent ale. Mellow hops and a creamy body make it light, yet with plenty of flavor. One can detect a little bit of toffee, a slight sour note, and slightly bitter finish (somewhat like the skunky flavor of Heineken). This flurry of flavor combined with low carbonation makes them go down fast. My only complaint is that they only come in 4 packs!

For more on this beer and others check out http://joyofconsumption.com/

3.99/5  rDev +25.1%

One of my all-time favorite beers.

This beer is a dark golden color and leaves a perfect head when poured into a glass. Has a fruity aroma that lingers in the taste.

Mouthfeel, in my opinion, is exceptional. It has that creamy feel to it that helps it go down better. The flavor is of honey and light fruit. It's very hard to find a flavorful, thick beer around here and this is definitely that. I don't understand why the rating on this site isn't a little bit higher.

3.56/5  rDev +11.6%

6 out of 10 stars -

The nose of the beer can be described as mild, hoppy, and nutty. I'm occasionally convinced that it smells like bile or vomit, but that might be a psychosomatic response to the number of times I've been sick after drinking too many of them.

Mouthfeel is very creamy, almost like a smoothie.

Taste is mildly bitter, slightly sweet taste - a very mild ale with toasted malt overtones and a bit of caramel.

Boddingtons is great as a mixer in Shandies (beer and soda/juice), especially the Radler. We love Boddy's - it's one of our favorite pub crawl beers.

Check out an expanded review of Boddy's Pub Ale on our show, On Tap: http://www.taverncast.com/shows/taverncast-on-tap-03.mp3

3.56/5  rDev +11.6%

Had on a cruise ship in the Caribbean from a nitro can into a pint glass.

A- Pours an unexpected dark golden color with a beautiful creamy head. Perfect lacing down the glass as I drank it.

S- Smell was not overwhelming but was slightly sweet, you can tell the beer is not going to be very bitter

T- Has tastes of slight hops. To me it seems like guinness draft from the can, slightly watered down, but still very satisfying.

M- Smoooth! Very interesting feels that is hard to describe. Not really any bite at all, but it works for this style

D- Probably couldve had a few more. Low abv, and relatively light body while still having the taste. Nice.

1.75/5  rDev -45.1%

Paid out way too much for this stuff. Bland, almost flat tasting. Came in a four pack, was charged Bud Beer case prices. Would not purchase again, even if on sale.

Pale in appearance.
Not much carbonation too speak of.
Very flat tasting, not pleasant on the palate.

4.5/5  rDev +41.1%

Love this beer. A bit of a more mass-produced beer but none-the-less a great drink. A great taste and a great drink. And not too heavy so there is no issue in not be able to drink plenty. Best out of the tap but the nitro-can is not a bad second option.

2.96/5  rDev -7.2%

well..after seeing this beer on the shelf alot and being turned off by the fact that it comes in the same can as guiness (i dont like guiness too much) i never bought it. after being told numerous times by a co worker that it is awesome...i decided to give it a try.

poured it into a pint glass but could have used a bigger one.

appearance was the best part of this beer. the nice effect from the nitro cap made it fun to watch while i poured. the head magically settled on top of the slightly cloudy bronze ale. it did ti pretty quickly too. the head was thick and cramy with generous tracing.

smell was of...well...musty, yeasty, bread. didnt notice any malt or hop aroma. might have been too cold.

taste was pretty much the same as the smell. very bready. i might be crazy but it reminded me of cream of mushroom soup a little. not very conventional i know. but...it did. haha. might have been the head and lack of carbonation.

mouth feel was creamy at first from the head and then watery beneath it. very little carbonation like a guiness. kind of weak tasting for an ale.

well...being that to me it tastes like flat beer with some froth on top...i didnt find it very drinkable. its just me. i like carbonation in my beer. at least more than whats in this one.

over all...worth the try but not my cup o tea.

2.96/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a yellowish, pale golden color with a 1/2" head that lasted. Smelled of some spice and fruitiness, but overall not too much aroma at all. Taste was very smooth; a light fruitiness with a slight floral, hoppy bitterness at the finish. Definitely light-bodied. Subtle creaminess for mouthfeel but wish there was more. It's just kind of uneventful, and kind of watery. Thinner than I would have expected. Certainly drinkable though - nothing offensive but nothing too memorable either.

3.67/5  rDev +15%

The pint poured from a nitro tap was a cloudy blond creme until the bubbles settled to the top, overall a great presentation like all other nitro taps. Smell of faint hop wisps leapt out of the pure foam head and greeted my nose. The beer has a crispness that isn't present in other pale ales. the bitterness of the beer keeps to the back of the tongue. I suppose the best advice I could give to a person is to have it on tap, where it performs as a great beer to enjoy during the warmer months. I have not had the occasion to try the canned version but judging from the reviews, I am in no rush to try.

3.69/5  rDev +15.7%

This is my standard when it's on tap and there aren't any truly delicious beers available. Not as good in a can. Not the best flavors, but certainly delicious with any meal as it doesn't overpower.

Appearance - Amber, Poors like a Guiness

Smell - Sweet

Taste - Creamy, light hops.

Mouthfeel - Creamy

Drinkability - I could drink this beer all day long.

Boddingtons Pub Ale from Boddingtons