Boddingtons Pub Ale - Boddingtons

awful

Boddingtons visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-20-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Boddingtons Pub Ale Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev +10.1%

twkirkby, Dec 22, 2011

CMOrak, Nov 23, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +17.9%

rcatalano, Feb 01, 2012
3.5/5  rDev +10.1%

plinythederek, Mar 14, 2013
3.85/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a nitro can into a pint glass.

A - Poured a cloudy white color that quickly settled into a an beautiful amber honey color. The nitro produced a beautiful head of thick white and creamy foam head that reminded me of a cloud. Lacing clung to the glass throughout.

S - Slightly malty smell with a slightly sweet floral hop aroma.

T - Very, very mild flavor. Slight maltiness up front followed by sweet honey finish.

MF&D - The little amount of carbonation help this ale maintain its creamy smoothness. Although not packed with too much flavor this ale is enjoyable and easily sessioned.

nasty15108, May 09, 2008
3.45/5  rDev +8.5%

A foamy gold beer. The smell is grainy with a hint of nutmeg. Taste is bland with hint of something in the spice cabinet. I'm glad I tasted it. But I don't think I'd want a bunch of them. They aren't bad or offensive though and go down easy. All and all, a nice uncomplicated casual ale.

hdofu, Nov 10, 2008
3.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Nice creamy white head. Light copper color. Not much carbonation going on by the looks of it. Nice looking beer from the Draughtflow System that gives it, its nice creamy head.

Mostly grain in the aroma with some grass. Nothing really amazing about the smell.

Grain, some grass, bread, biscuits, the slightest toasted flavor, and mellow hops. Also I taste a faint metal flavor.

Mouth feel is nice and creamy, yet light enough on the belly to make this a session beer. It leaves the mouth feeling moist. Carbonation is almost nonexistent.

I haven't had this beer in a long time, maybe about two years ago when I thought this was a quality beer. Now that I know they're so many choices of great beer, this one kind of falls short since my palate has changed so much. The highlight to this ale is the look and feel. Taste is average, it's not horrible. The flavors are not as in your face as I like them to be. This is a good BBQ beer to have with friends. Alcohol content is on the lower side so you can definitely session it.

9InchNails, Jul 04, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +49.4%

mquinn919, Apr 13, 2012
3.2/5  rDev +0.6%

Just not as good from the can. A big differential IMO. Still has the creamy feel and decent taste. On tap I still feel this is my favorit ~anytime~ beer.

packetknife, Apr 23, 2002

AudioGilz, Aug 20, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +17.9%

Leschber, Oct 18, 2012

BrandonOakes, Nov 09, 2013

tylergoov, Apr 14, 2014

dradair, Jun 12, 2014
2.5/5  rDev -21.4%

Poured from the nitro can with a somewhat pale golden color and a huge head which sinks down to about one finger, but stays until you finish the beer. This stuff really looks like it came from a tap.

The smell here is very faint. Butter and a little bit of citrusy hops, with maybe a little malt trying to poke through. Weak and simple, not too impressive.

While the taste is not particularly offensive, it's incredibly bland. Very light malt flavors finished off by weak stale-smelling hops.

Boddingtons advertises itself as "Smooth and Creamy." This is definitely true, and the one redeeming characteristic of this beer. This stuff actually seems like the British equivalent of our BMC, though they do a much, much better job than A-B, Coors, and the like (though that's not saying much). Good session beer, but for the same price I'd much rather grab a Tetley's.

Phocion, Jul 13, 2006
2.53/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a pint glass to produce a 3/4" creamy head with the nitro effect cascading bubbles. The liquid was a nice amber clear.

The aroma was floral and yet had a metallic twang.

The taste was not so good. Bitter, but not in a good way... I like a hoppy bitterness, but this was bitter... kind of like eating banana peels.

Mouthfeel: thin with very little carbonation. I don't like the nitro can effect.

Drinkability: If I must.... but I hope I can get some others to help me finish this f pack of cans....

TheBierBand, Jun 20, 2007

SStein, Oct 24, 2014
3.13/5  rDev -1.6%

Took in four pints of this along with some Cheddar cheese and sliced sausage, it mingled well. Now that I think of it, I should have tried the Boddingtons with some bubble and squeak, maybe next time.

The nitrogen infusion makes a real change in the way this bittered ale tasted. The hop bitter is really there, but it is masked by the nitrogen foam. Pour a small amount to the side and let the ale settle out, and you will see what I mean.

Raincoats are optional, I don’t think Boddingtons has that widget perfected yet, and I’m not into ale sports...

BeerBob, Jun 19, 2002

DrGonzoDDS, Mar 10, 2012
2.83/5  rDev -11%

This rating is certainly higher than I would afford this beer because of the awesome cascade that accompanies it. It reminded me of some sort of science experiment when I poured it. The beer was a pretty basic light copper ale color, but the cascade was this interesting yellow cloud that sank and then rose in my glass. The smell was overly metallic without much in the way of flavors. Taste was like guiness light, if it existed. Probably the major problem with nitro cans. It had a creamy mouthfeel which masked my preoccupation with the lack of taste. Ohk brew.

GreatPondBrewer, Mar 15, 2003

beerbtl, Jun 24, 2013
2.78/5  rDev -12.6%

Poured from one of their special cans. Nice creamy head. Light golden color. Very light, can see through this beer quite easily. Lowish level of carbonation.

Smells ok. Grassy, a little skunky. Not sold on the taste. Slightly bitter. I'd say it actually leans towards malts rather than hops, which isn't what I was expecting. Not awful, but nothing I'm gonna enjoy. The nice thick creamy head keeps this from being a disastrous choice. The beer itself is quite watery and light. Probably an ok session beer.

jar2574, Jul 28, 2007