Boddingtons Pub Ale - Boddingtons

Boddingtons visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-20-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Boddingtons Pub Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,075 | Hads: 2,556
1.36/5  rDev -57.6%

A - Good average looking beer

Smell - Nothing special. Very light smell.

T - Just like water

M - Yh, they talk about how smooth it is and i won't disagagree. It is really smooth. Like a glass of plain water

D - Who the hell will drink this again. It is a glass of water with alcohol and yellow colour.

Note: I really hate this beer and I wouldn't advise anyone to drink it. (378 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +42.1%

A champion beer in every sense of the word. I am surprised at the low ratings for this. It has a wonderful appearance (and I am not a big amber guy) and a perfect head. The taste is toasty and comforting. Probably the best of the more "popular" beers. (251 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +28%

Now that I've had this ale a few times, from the can, not much of a rating difference. I've had a chance to whiff the aroma, and upped the rating a half point, but everything else is still the same. Compared to the on-tap review I did. This ale is very good. Beyond drinkable in my opinion at this time. (303 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -5.6%

Boddingtons Pub Ale always leaves me confused when I drink it. One day I can love it and the next hate it. My first thought is that Boddingtons should put these in 18-20 oz cans instead of the 16 they give you. You are almost guaranteed to lose 2-4 oz as soon as you open these nitro cans! :)

It does pour nice into a pint glass and settles also very nicely. Taste seems to be greatly affected by temp. more so than other beers and ales. If this is chilled just to much, it seems to lose all its flavor. When at the correct serving temp, it does have a nice taste to it. This is my "Oh why did I drink so much of (INSERT BEER NAME HERE) last night" beer. It is a very silky drink and much easier going down if you had a few to many of a mass produced beer the night before. Nothing amazing here but nothing offending either. At $7.99us for a 4-pack, you can probably do a LOT better... (888 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -0.6%

It's a fairly nice, fairly flat, ale that is perfect on a warm/hot day (when served cold).

The flavor is mild, the taste is also mild, but, maybe it's just me, it's a great beer for a "session."

This is one beer that, while not up to certain people's hoppy standards, I keep coming back to again and again. It's like an affair with that plain looking mistress who satisfies, at a certain price point, like nobody else can. (424 characters)

3.43/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Somewhere between a golden hue to a copper color. White head reduces to less than a finger within a minute or two. Fine bubbles edge the glass, with a few making their way through the brew.

S - Not much on the nose. A bit grassy.

T - Not too much there, similar to the taste. A bit bitter, with a touch of citrus or banana in there. Finishes with something biscuity.

M - Thin, minimal carbonation.

D - I could have a few of these in the sense that there's nothing to write home about. Easy enough to get down. (517 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +20.2%

A- Slight yellow, small amounts of lacing. I allowed the can to settle after opening. I imagine had I poured it sooner after opening, there would be more of a head.

S- Didn't get much of a smell. Small trace amounts of hops.

T- Not to overpowering, but not real strong. Just right in the middle. Which for me is a welcomed change sometimes.

M- Smooth mounthfeel.

D- I have no problem doing two of these in a sitting. (420 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +40.2%

Boddingtons is an excellent ale. Mellow hops and a creamy body make it light, yet with plenty of flavor. One can detect a little bit of toffee, a slight sour note, and slightly bitter finish (somewhat like the skunky flavor of Heineken). This flurry of flavor combined with low carbonation makes them go down fast. My only complaint is that they only come in 4 packs!

For more on this beer and others check out http://joyofconsumption.com/ (440 characters)

4.56/5  rDev +42.1%

Smooth style and very light. Easy on the taste and easy to drink. Cool and refreshing for a quick "light and easy" party beer or summer refresher on the pond! (158 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +24.3%

One of my all-time favorite beers.

This beer is a dark golden color and leaves a perfect head when poured into a glass. Has a fruity aroma that lingers in the taste.

Mouthfeel, in my opinion, is exceptional. It has that creamy feel to it that helps it go down better. The flavor is of honey and light fruit. It's very hard to find a flavorful, thick beer around here and this is definitely that. I don't understand why the rating on this site isn't a little bit higher. (472 characters)

3.56/5  rDev +10.9%

6 out of 10 stars -

The nose of the beer can be described as mild, hoppy, and nutty. I'm occasionally convinced that it smells like bile or vomit, but that might be a psychosomatic response to the number of times I've been sick after drinking too many of them.

Mouthfeel is very creamy, almost like a smoothie.

Taste is mildly bitter, slightly sweet taste - a very mild ale with toasted malt overtones and a bit of caramel.

Boddingtons is great as a mixer in Shandies (beer and soda/juice), especially the Radler. We love Boddy's - it's one of our favorite pub crawl beers.

Check out an expanded review of Boddy's Pub Ale on our show, On Tap: http://www.taverncast.com/shows/taverncast-on-tap-03.mp3 (707 characters)

3.56/5  rDev +10.9%

Had on a cruise ship in the Caribbean from a nitro can into a pint glass.

A- Pours an unexpected dark golden color with a beautiful creamy head. Perfect lacing down the glass as I drank it.

S- Smell was not overwhelming but was slightly sweet, you can tell the beer is not going to be very bitter

T- Has tastes of slight hops. To me it seems like guinness draft from the can, slightly watered down, but still very satisfying.

M- Smoooth! Very interesting feels that is hard to describe. Not really any bite at all, but it works for this style

D- Probably couldve had a few more. Low abv, and relatively light body while still having the taste. Nice. (655 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -45.5%

Paid out way too much for this stuff. Bland, almost flat tasting. Came in a four pack, was charged Bud Beer case prices. Would not purchase again, even if on sale.

Pale in appearance.
Not much carbonation too speak of.
Very flat tasting, not pleasant on the palate. (266 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +40.2%

Love this beer. A bit of a more mass-produced beer but none-the-less a great drink. A great taste and a great drink. And not too heavy so there is no issue in not be able to drink plenty. Best out of the tap but the nitro-can is not a bad second option. (253 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -7.8%

well..after seeing this beer on the shelf alot and being turned off by the fact that it comes in the same can as guiness (i dont like guiness too much) i never bought it. after being told numerous times by a co worker that it is awesome...i decided to give it a try.

poured it into a pint glass but could have used a bigger one.

appearance was the best part of this beer. the nice effect from the nitro cap made it fun to watch while i poured. the head magically settled on top of the slightly cloudy bronze ale. it did ti pretty quickly too. the head was thick and cramy with generous tracing.

smell was of...well...musty, yeasty, bread. didnt notice any malt or hop aroma. might have been too cold.

taste was pretty much the same as the smell. very bready. i might be crazy but it reminded me of cream of mushroom soup a little. not very conventional i know. but...it did. haha. might have been the head and lack of carbonation.

mouth feel was creamy at first from the head and then watery beneath it. very little carbonation like a guiness. kind of weak tasting for an ale.

well...being that to me it tastes like flat beer with some froth on top...i didnt find it very drinkable. its just me. i like carbonation in my beer. at least more than whats in this one.

over all...worth the try but not my cup o tea. (1,324 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a yellowish, pale golden color with a 1/2" head that lasted. Smelled of some spice and fruitiness, but overall not too much aroma at all. Taste was very smooth; a light fruitiness with a slight floral, hoppy bitterness at the finish. Definitely light-bodied. Subtle creaminess for mouthfeel but wish there was more. It's just kind of uneventful, and kind of watery. Thinner than I would have expected. Certainly drinkable though - nothing offensive but nothing too memorable either. (488 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +14.3%

The pint poured from a nitro tap was a cloudy blond creme until the bubbles settled to the top, overall a great presentation like all other nitro taps. Smell of faint hop wisps leapt out of the pure foam head and greeted my nose. The beer has a crispness that isn't present in other pale ales. the bitterness of the beer keeps to the back of the tongue. I suppose the best advice I could give to a person is to have it on tap, where it performs as a great beer to enjoy during the warmer months. I have not had the occasion to try the canned version but judging from the reviews, I am in no rush to try. (603 characters)

3.69/5  rDev +15%

This is my standard when it's on tap and there aren't any truly delicious beers available. Not as good in a can. Not the best flavors, but certainly delicious with any meal as it doesn't overpower.

Appearance - Amber, Poors like a Guiness

Smell - Sweet

Taste - Creamy, light hops.

Mouthfeel - Creamy

Drinkability - I could drink this beer all day long. (357 characters)

1.78/5  rDev -44.5%

First off, the can exploded. I found this beer at my local supermarket in a four-pack of tall cans. My friend opened one before the rest of us and warned us that his exploded all over him, so we were cautious, but the damn thing blew up on us too! The next day, we let our other friend have the last one...explode.

This beer is dangerous.

A - Crystal clear orange-brown with creamy, very white head.

S - Very wheaty. Smelled to me like a typical American adjunct lager with a slight sweetness character.

T - Very watery and thin tasting. Very similar to a BMC. Some of my friends who reviewed with me said that it was actually tasteless.

M - Light-bodied, thin and watery.

D - The finish brought out a wheaty flavour with time, but never really improved the taste. This beer is decently drinkable if you aren't looking to have a ton of flavour, just something cold. Overall, not very impressed. (900 characters)

1.24/5  rDev -61.4%

I tried this beer from a nitro-can poured into a mug It had a good head about a 1/2 inch thick. Looked great but was all smoke and mirrors. Its like someone got a can and scooped some lake water into a can. This was an awful beer and I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. (270 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +16.8%

The blonde Guiness. Not big on flavor or aroma, but a highly drinkable, smooth character. Possibly a hint of honey hiding in there. Multiple beers easily shared among friends. (178 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +41.7%

This is without a doubt, my wintertime beer. Love the fact that it pours like a Guinness, but it is an ale. The lack of traditional carbonation allows you to drink more and not get that one gets from traditional beers. I wouldn't drink this in a warm climate, but once the temperature dips below 60˚, this is the beer I turn to. (333 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +34.9%

Over all I would say it is smooth. A little light on taste for a dark beer but very drinkable. Leaves you wanting a little more bite. Pours easy with a classic head that remains there until the last sip. My friend from the CZ really liked that (something the Europeans like i guess.) Without going into a lot of colorful words, it is the kind of beer you sit around at a Pub with friends and drink all night. Goes good with pizza, fish & chips and nachos. Enjoy! (462 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +32.4%

I really like this, great flavor, very well rounded. It's not your everyday beer, and you need to pour it and let it settle, or you aren't giving it a fair shake, but I highly recommend it! (197 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +34.3%

I am not a fan of dark beer. I typically drink IPA, or witbier and lager. This however, provides a good full beer style with a satisfying taste. It is sweet but not at all overpowering. It mixes the strength with the smoothness very well. I would say the balance alone is what keeps me ordering it at pubs and bars. Introduced to it in college I still drink it today, typically with pub-type food. For those looking to venture into something more cultural than the typical Budweiser without going full blown Hobgoblin, go for this great tasting refreshing beer. (561 characters)

Boddingtons Pub Ale from Boddingtons