Join our email list →

Boddingtons
United Kingdom (England) | website

English Pale Ale | 4.70% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-20-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Boddingtons Pub Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,095 | Hads: 2,658
4.05/5  rDev +27%

behold...Boddingtons Ale, the finest drink. our band, The Ill Mayhem, loves this beer for post session sessions. this beer is a great pub ale, you can pour it as fast and hard as you like, and the beer cascades out to a foamy half inch head which maintains for the duration. the frothy head also has a creamy or marshmellowy swseetness, if you decided to down it as well. the ill mayhem loves this beer, we endorse it, and would like to be sponsored by it. Our bass player, Rootin Tootin Rasputin has been quoted as saying " Boddingtons Pub Ale is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" from his treetop perch. The first time i bought Boddingtons, the old man at the liquor store declared "that is the SMOOTHEST beer ive EVER had." cheers bro

4.76/5  rDev +49.2%

A - A very dense amber color.

S- Almost not there, "almost" bready.

T- Excellent, it is exactly what it is supposed to be. Creamy. Perfect Pub Ale

M- Again very creamy, full feeling almost thick.

O- This is definitely one of if not my favorite Ale. Hands down.

Serving Type: Nitro Can

3.65/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

This is not the best beer of all time, sure, but it is getting hit hard on this site!

I just drank one and I'm glad I bought a 4-pack.

Since there have been almost 2000 ratings to date, I'm going to review with respect to them.

A: Darker than you'd expect. Honestly, more head than you'd expect.
S: About what you'd predict. Grains, a bit of grass...not much going on.
T: Better than you think. It's a great cream ale, and if you don't want a cream ale, it's a great dog treat.
M: The creamy mouthfeel of this beer is a real treat. I think this is the least honest category on BA; who can tell me that the mouthfeel of a quad is honestly better than this?
O: If it's on draft and it's happy hour, have one!

4.14/5  rDev +29.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I love this beer as a light drinking with friends beer. Not too sophisticated, just pleasant drinking. It has a creamy feel, with a great flavour. One cannot expect a stout or a Belgian style flavour from this ale, rather expect simple and clean beer taste.

4.64/5  rDev +45.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer, is a really creamy beer. The appearance is perfect, I ve never see a beer from can appear like just poured from a pub tap. Taste is a bit weak for the tipe of beer, but terrific if consedered that is in can. Really good, I will fdefinetly buy again!

4.35/5  rDev +36.4%

My first beer, and i love it just ad much now as I did then.
Look-Pours a splendid honey gold with lots and lots of bubbles at first from the Draughtflow device inside, forming a beautiful thick, creamy, delicious head. A very good looking beer.
Smell-This ales downfall, it smells like nothing, maybe a tad bit of grassiness.
Taste-Its very neutral, just a normal EPA. Bready, biscuity, and bitter malts, with subtle hops. I think its wonderful, refreshing, light, but not too light, easy to drink, but its way more flavorful than any other middle-priced beer, and it goes well with just about anything. Wings? Check. Pretzels? Check. Nachos? Check. Pizza? Of course.
Feel-Oh so smooth. I don't know many beers as smooth as this one. Good carbonation, well balanced.
Overall-One of my all time favorites, and a great simple, go too beer that most of your friends will probably find tasty and inoffensive.

3.92/5  rDev +22.9%

Was at an irish bar and wanted something other then my usual Guinness. Waitress suggested This wonderful beer. it is like a creamy Bass Ale, only better. Just a great drinking experience. Not too hoppy but right. Almost as wonderul as Guinness but nothing comes close to the original

2.5/5  rDev -21.6%

The beer came out of the nitro can into a pint glass right out of the refrigerator.

The color was pale yellow with a nitro induced head that stuck around nicely.

The smell and taste were the same, virtually nothing there. The carbonation was weak and the flavor simply did not exist. This beer ranks right up there with the typical macro style beers available unfortunately with an import premium price.

I wish there was more to say about it but this beer just did not do it for me.

3.47/5  rDev +8.8%

This was a pretty good beer overall. To my surprise the first can I opened burst over onto my hand and the carpet, so I handed that one to my friend. The next one I cracked open i poured directly into a pint glass and it poured a golden yellow and created a beautiful head. Not much smell to the beer, and compared to many other beers not much carbonation. Its a very hard beer to describe in taste and the best I can come up with is a creamy Budweiser with a lot less carbonation. Very drinkable and refreshing. I would recommend it if your looking to switch things up.

3.03/5  rDev -5%

Poured nitro-can into pint glass. Creamy, decently persistent head, amber color after it settles down. Not a very distinctive smell, but had a more going on in the taste category. I like the fact that it is light on the carbonation. A very easy beer to drink.

1.09/5  rDev -65.8%

Appearance is honey colored with a thick and creamy white head. Lots of lacing.

Smell: None.

Taste: Not much. Water and pale malt.

Mouthfeel: Way too light. Buttery??.

Drinkability: Terrible. I can finish almost any beer but not this one. Even tried a second to see if I had a bad can. No carbonation.

2.86/5  rDev -10.3%

The pour out of the nitro can is always fun to watch. I love just turning these kinds of cans 180 degrees and just letting them guzzle into the glass, then watching the awesome cascade of bubbles form a perfect head.

I really liked the smell. It had a slightly sweet, almost buttery smell that really suits the pale, buttery look.

Very little taste in front and middle, and then just a little malty but not too sweet at the back. It definitely does not live up to the look and the smell. It also has a strange aftertaste of grains that hangs around, but not all night.

The mouthfeel is incredibly watery. It doesn't seem like it could be so thin from looking at it. Maybe this is because I'm an American and brought up on American beers, but it tastes flat (but I think Guinness tastes flat too).

Overall, this is an ok beer. I think it would go well along with a meal, just about any meal because it is so watery and neutral. I could probably have a few of these after drinking something a little more intense and flavorful.

3.64/5  rDev +14.1%

This is a good pub ale. Have had it on draught and in a can and either way is mellow and tasty. Serious creamy head.

It gets extra points because it is best you can get in a can at the 7-11 near my apartment. If you haven't planned and need a reasonable beer last minute Boddingtons will make you happy.

2.82/5  rDev -11.6%

The beer pours into a gorgeous cascading whirlpool of goodness. It really is a sight. The head is snow white and thick. It never lets up throughout the whole journey. Unfortunately it's the best thing about the ale. The smell is kind of wheaty like budweiser or miller. Not that bad, but not much better. The taste is kind of bland in my opinion. Not a whole lot going on. It has a slight hoppy taste and a pretty strong apple taste. It's fruity but not very complex. The mouthfeel is similar to guiness, but I prefer guiness. It's a refreshing beer. Easy to drink and above average. Not all that special though.

3.99/5  rDev +25.1%

On nitro-tap. Eat Bar @ Talula's in Arlington, VA
Nitro cascade is a great presentation in a regular pint glass.
Taste of cream ale, smooth with hint of bitter in finish.
Thicker mouth feel due to it tasting like a cream ale
Drinkable but not a session beer to me.

1.49/5  rDev -53.3%

Can tried to explode all over when I first opened it. The appearance was nice with a really creamy head. However the taste was almost nonexistent. I don't know if it was just my can or what but it was like drinking carbonated water. The flavor was just not there. The one thing I really did enjoy about this was the creamy head. I don't know that I have experienced anything quite the same. The fact that the head stuck around the whole time was nice too.

Overall I honestly think I would rather drink a PBR or High Life and for me that's saying something. Just not something enjoyable in this can. I would be willing to give it a try on tap though.

3.8/5  rDev +19.1%

I had this beer today for the first time in several years. I was actually surprised at the negative scores and reviews on this beer.

This is a very neutral tasting beer. The flavor is mild and balanced. The taste doesn't blow me away, but it is good.

It has an amber look and pours perfect with nice head due to the nitro can. I've had this on tap before too, but it's been so long, I can't say whether I like it any better.

The smell is about like the taste. It doesn't punch you in the face with any sort of aroma, it just smells like beer (that might sound generic, but that's the best way I can describe it).

Bottom line: I can't find anything wrong with this beer, but it doesn't blow me away either. It's still really good. And that's kind of nice when I want a break from beer with a barrage of flavors. Kind of like vanilla ice cream. Vanilla ice cream is just plain, but sometimes you get a vanilla ice cream that just tastes damn good. Boddingtons Pub Ale is just an ordinary ale that tastes pretty damn good.

4.04/5  rDev +26.6%

Boddingtons Bitter

The Cream of Manchester....

No matter how poor you pour this one, it always manages to settle with a perfect head.

Boddingtons has been enjoyed by beer drinkers in England for more than 200 years, and is well known for its creamy head and smooth body. It is now sold in over 30 countries worldwide, and can be drunk on tap in places as far afield as New Zealand and Hong Kong. Boddingtons is positioned as a premium import in its overseas markets, and this sector has seen rapid growth in the last ten years, as drinkers are keen to experiment with different beer styles and tastes, and often drink beers they remember from places they have traveled to.

4.21/5  rDev +32%

This is one of my favorites from the nitro-can, so I jumped on the opportunity to try it on draft at cobblestones in York, PA. Set in front of me with all but an inch being creamy, upside down waterfall head. Beautiful. The smell is slightly bitter, nothing extraordinary. When the head finally settled to an inch or two, the first sip is deep and refreshing, with a slightly more berrylike finish than the canned version. I love the mustache people get when drinking this beer. As drinkable as water, you can really throw these down if you want to. You don't much feel the alchohol until the second or third boddingtons, as it comes on rather smooth. If you like the can, you'll love the draft.

3.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Boddingtons pours a deep gold color. The beer has a very clean feel in your mouth that is refreshing, but this ale promises a taste that it cannot deliver. There is a very good taste hiding in the beer, but it is very subtle. Honestly, it tastes like a light beer in that it tastes like a watered down version of a beer, which is disappointing because there is a good, refreshing taste hiding there.

1.36/5  rDev -57.4%

A - Good average looking beer

Smell - Nothing special. Very light smell.

T - Just like water

M - Yh, they talk about how smooth it is and i won't disagagree. It is really smooth. Like a glass of plain water

D - Who the hell will drink this again. It is a glass of water with alcohol and yellow colour.

Note: I really hate this beer and I wouldn't advise anyone to drink it.

4.56/5  rDev +42.9%

A champion beer in every sense of the word. I am surprised at the low ratings for this. It has a wonderful appearance (and I am not a big amber guy) and a perfect head. The taste is toasty and comforting. Probably the best of the more "popular" beers.

4.11/5  rDev +28.8%

Now that I've had this ale a few times, from the can, not much of a rating difference. I've had a chance to whiff the aroma, and upped the rating a half point, but everything else is still the same. Compared to the on-tap review I did. This ale is very good. Beyond drinkable in my opinion at this time.

3.03/5  rDev -5%

Boddingtons Pub Ale always leaves me confused when I drink it. One day I can love it and the next hate it. My first thought is that Boddingtons should put these in 18-20 oz cans instead of the 16 they give you. You are almost guaranteed to lose 2-4 oz as soon as you open these nitro cans! :)

It does pour nice into a pint glass and settles also very nicely. Taste seems to be greatly affected by temp. more so than other beers and ales. If this is chilled just to much, it seems to lose all its flavor. When at the correct serving temp, it does have a nice taste to it. This is my "Oh why did I drink so much of (INSERT BEER NAME HERE) last night" beer. It is a very silky drink and much easier going down if you had a few to many of a mass produced beer the night before. Nothing amazing here but nothing offending either. At $7.99us for a 4-pack, you can probably do a LOT better...

3.19/5  rDev 0%

It's a fairly nice, fairly flat, ale that is perfect on a warm/hot day (when served cold).

The flavor is mild, the taste is also mild, but, maybe it's just me, it's a great beer for a "session."

This is one beer that, while not up to certain people's hoppy standards, I keep coming back to again and again. It's like an affair with that plain looking mistress who satisfies, at a certain price point, like nobody else can.

Boddingtons Pub Ale from Boddingtons