Boddingtons Pub Ale - Boddingtons

Boddingtons visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-20-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Boddingtons Pub Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,539 | Reviews: 1,127
3.61/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Better than Hen's Tooth...still not as good as New Castle.

2.97/5  rDev -6.6%

I have known Bodingtons for over a year but this is the first time I am reviewing it. I love the initial pour of the beer as it settles, the color and the sight of the beer setteling is a sight to behold, as well as the creamy head it leaves behind. I really enjoy the fact that the head stays throughout the entire beer, even at the very end there is still a head in which to enjoy the beer. Although, the smell is a bit wheaty, and I find, that there is not too much to the smell. The taste is very good, coupled with the incredibly smooth mouthfeel, this is pure pleasure to the tastebuds. I do enjoy this beer, but I usually like to eat something along with it, (eg: a meal, Chips or Penuts) otherwise towards the end of the beer a bad aftertaste develops and needs to be neutralized with a different taste. Overall this is a really good beer and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking to try something new.

2.71/5  rDev -14.8%

A: Light copper with a think one finer white head, no lacing

S: Mild malt, though not really much on the nose at all.

T: A little fruity a little hoppy on the finish. Honestly kind of water. The aftertaste is a little bitter, but not in a good way

M: Thin, closer to bud than I would have expected

O: An unremarkable beer. Certainly drinkable but there is almost no character.

3.6/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Boddington's Pub Ale was poured on nitro draft into a Guinness pint glass, with an inch-thick head that only gradually receded. It's a clear copper color, like a very weak cup of tea. Boddington's has a bready smell that's mild, and maybe slightly sour. On tasting, it has a thin mouthfeel, and is only very lightly carbonated.

Boddington's has a mild, creamy flavor, followed by a smoky, creamy, and maybe slightly metallic finish. It's an easy drinker; not my favorite, but if you find yourself in an Irish pub watching some soccer or even just hanging out, it's tried, true, and highly sessionable.

3.7/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

To be quite honest I really like this beer. It's a very creamy, sweet beer. It does appear to be thick when served, but it still went down quite smoothly. It's a nice yellow/white head looker, but nothing to admire.

I'd call it the dessert beer, because it was the sweetest beer I've ever tried. I didn't find a hint of bitterness with this beer. IMO, it's like no other Ale I tried, not to say it's the best Ale, but in my experience it's the most original so far.

3.84/5  rDev +20.8%

As i pour this nitro can i know what i will get...a great creamy head. About 5/8 iches thick that lasts the whole pint. It gives a light golden amber color. In the mouth it leaves a beautifull smooth malt that lingers ever so slowly into a residual hoppy dryness(but not too dry) ,which is fantastic for an english beer. Some northern english beers are kind of watered down,but not this one. I enjoy this brew on warm summer days and cool fall nights.

check out debautchery at my space music in central IL

Sorry for the shameless plug

2.82/5  rDev -11.3%

A: Great foamy waterfall effect when poured into a pint glass. As the head settles, a clear golden color remains. I would say that this coats the glass rather than call it lacing.

S: Not really much there. Nothing stands out, just some vague almost sweet smell.

T: Very mild. Light hops with lots of creaminess. Nothing too direct.

M: Smooth as silk, but lacking in carbonation. The smoothness is good, but I don't like that there's almost no carbonation.

D: Pretty easy to drink. Alcohol isn't very high, so it's easy to drink plenty. This isn't really a drink that's going to make you think and contemplate its nature, but you don't have to prepare yourself for each sip.

3.03/5  rDev -4.7%

Bought a widget can, upon opening the can overflowed so it was quickly poured into my awaiting glass. This beer has a very nice amber color to it. The head of the beer completely covers the beer and is very nice looking, it also holds onto the walls of the glass very, very well.

The aroma of the beer is not very strong, but a nice floral smell backed by yeast. The taste is good, very mild though. A very light malt flavor, with a weak hop dominating the flavor. There is a lingering flavor of hops too. As my can blew its top upon opening, the beer is very flat in this sample, so the mouthfeel is rather poor and thin.

Not a bad beer, but not ourstanding either, guess I should resample to get the true measure of it.

3.24/5  rDev +1.9%

Appearance: Nitro can poured almost all foam at first, which settled into 2 heads after a few seconds. The top head was creamy and smooth (typical nitro head), with a secondary head which seemed to contain most of the carbonation directly under the primary head. Body was a light amber with little carbonation. Left some residual lacing.

Smell: Grassy, with a weak smell of honey.

Taste: Caramel, honey, and some malt with very little hops (most of which is in the head). Pretty typical of an English Ale, with slight hops bitterness finishing.

Mouthfeel: Mouthfeel is creamy and buttery, but gets flatter as the beer warms. Could've used a bit more carbonation.

Drinkability: This is a fairly well-balanced brew. It is sweet, creamy, and unoffensive, especially when consumed around the lower temp. range (I found it best around 40°F). Sessionable if you like English Ales.

3.04/5  rDev -4.4%

L. amber with a thick creamy white head that lasts all the way down and leaves a heavy lacing
S. floral hoppiness and a very light toasted malt
T. opens up well with a bitter flowery hop taste but then fades to a malty coppery bubblegum aftertaste which is none too pleasing
F. very creamy with a high carbonation that leaves its mark on the back of the toungue

if you are drinking this inside at a house open it over a sink because it froths heavily out of the can, and now my carpet smells slightly hoppy.
an alright beer aftertaste is definately its downfall but the mouthfeel makes it better

2.83/5  rDev -11%

Boddy's is one of the top best-selling beers in the UK, if my sources are correct. Not that I ever drank much of it when I lived there, but when I did it was on tap in some anonymous pub where there was little other choice. So when I was offered one recently, I gave it a whirl.

"The Cream of Manchester" wasn't all bad. The little nitrogen-filled widget reproduces the nature of a pub keg pour, so it was quite fun to watch as I poured it into a pint glass, and was pleased with the creamy head and the pale amber colour. There's a slightly acidic nose to it, along with a faint floral scent that's not unpleasant.

I can only describe the rest of the experience as "thin". The flavour is of insipid malts, there's a skinny hoppiness, and the beer body equivalent of the "seven-stone weakling" (98 pounds). This is not a substantial brew, by any means. That said, it did improve a little as it warmed up, releasing up some sweetness and character, and it became a little more refreshing. For the downside, there's a distinct metallic tang to it that spoiled any of its better qualities, few as they are.
or better, but there you go.

With an alcohol content of 4.7% it might be a decent session beer - lose that tin-taste, and after the first couple of quickly-drunk pints, it would probably be quite palatable. I have to say that I'm not that impressed, although I'm prepared to admit that on a warm summer day that might just be enough, if there was nothing else within reach. Find it on tap in an English pub and that would drag it up a little. Add a bag of crisps, and you're laughing, provided you can find a warm summer's day in England.

(Taken, in part from my beer blog.)

2.93/5  rDev -7.9%

A - poured creamy white due to the little ball inside the can. The head is a very thinck creamy white. a nice head stays around for a while. The color is a dark straw yellow. No carbonation to note here.
S - Maybe metallic, hops. not much in the way of smell.
T - a light flavor, hops are dominatei get a tiny but of malt in the background.

4.6/5  rDev +44.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This is my wife’s review--- From pour to finish, this is a great beer.

Appearance: The cascading brew was a delight to watch from the lip of the can, to the bottom of the glass, and back up again… It was like a show. Great head, retention, and lacing… Lasted to the end of the glass. Nice golden honey color.

Smell: Sweet, honey like aroma, but not overpowering, just right.

Taste: Phenomenal, loved it. Smooth flavor, a little strong at the finish, but not bad.

Mouth feel: Creeeaaaammmyyyy and ssmmmmoootttthhhh. Low on carbonation makes for better (or more) intake without feeling bloated. The nitro cans have it going on.

Drinkability: I would consider this a session beer. As a true Irish Lass, is pains me too say that have to drink, and like, an English Pub Ale. However, my Grand-pappy will have to roll over, because this is to damn creamy and smooth.

Follow the suggestions, drink cool, not cold.

And as always remember the immortal words:

“Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy.”

~Benjamin Franklin

3.08/5  rDev -3.1%

I know a lot of people who love this one.
I would like to try it on tap, because like Guiness in a can, i really can't get friendly with this one.
Nice, huge white head that rises from the bottom forever. light gold, honey colored brew.
Very malty aroma with light floral hops.
very heavy, thick and thick. so heavily carbonated with fine little bubbles that it almost, to me, feels uncarbonated in the mouth.
drinkability? ... one and thats enough for me. I just cant enjoy more than a pint of it. I think that being out of a can has a lot to do with it.

2.73/5  rDev -14.2%

I saw this last night and thought, "hmm.. ale in a can?". It wasn't until I got home that I realized it was a nitro can, and that was when I started to get excited.

After it exploded all over my kitchen, I performed the engineering project necessary to get it into a big 16 ounce pilsner glass. Pouring a foamy beer from a can whose sides are wet into a curvy glass is not easy!

I was very impressed with the head and the lace, the microbubbles in the head are always fun, but unfortunately it doesn't get much better from there. The color is alright, a sort of pale gold.

The smell at first reminded me of Guinness, but perhaps what I was smelling is nitrogen. After I took a few sips, the smell almost completely disappeared, which brings me to...

Taste? The only way I was able to get much flavor out of this beer was to also be breathing deeply through my nose. Then and only then did I detect faint malts, just a very small note of hops, and perhaps a stale smell.

The mouthfeel wasn't very impressive either, which was disappointing for a nitro beer. Only large sips really give any sort of feeling other than that of liquid flowing over the tongue. The nitrogen makes the experience a bit more interesting, though.

I do not think I would buy this again, at least not in can form. I am sad to say I could not even finish the glass, because I knew I had Full Sail's Barleywine waiting for me.

2.77/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured into an English pub glass. As soon as the can was cracked open, it started to rush out of the top.

A: I poured it fairly quickly, due to the note above, and it looked marvelous as the cascading effect allowed a thick, creamy head to form. After about a minute, a one finger layer of cream sat on top of a honey colored brew. I really enjoyed watching this.

S: Faint smells, a little alcohol, floral, and something earthy, maybe grassy. Not the best.

T: Kinda like the nose, but with a hint of alcohol, and then a metallic taste. Finishes a little bitter, but with a sweetness that lingers a little.

M: The only thing this one has going for it is that it has a wonderful creamy head. Taking a sip where a little of the cream hits the tongue with the beer makes it enjoyable, but the beer itself is watery, thin, and has very light carbonation.

O: I do like the looks, and the color of the beer is very nice. For the price, it's decent, but there are better offers for around the same price point. I wouldn't refuse, but also wouldn't go out of my way to find one either.

3.52/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Sort of stuck between being a pale ale and a cream ale. Don't linger over it, definitely best right after pouring. It tastes better on tap.

3.79/5  rDev +19.2%

This beer is really two in one. If you ask me, the head is the raison d'etre of this beer. Crack open a can, pour it straight down into a pint glass (no tilt necessary) and enjoy the creamy, heavenly head!

Once the head has settled, you will realize that Boddingtons Pub Ale is really a simple and unremarkable beer. Not that that's bad, but just keep it in perspective. The first 60 seconds is where it's at.

Some have said tap is preferable over can; other have held the opposite opinion. I've had both and actually prefer the can for the simple fact that I can dump it in a nonic and get it to my mouth in one motion! Of course, if the barman is right in front of you then perhaps the tap is better.

So, to summarize: Great head, great mouthfeel, highly sessionable == gargantuan burps that may or may not annoy others, depending on the company you keep. Otherwise average taste.

3.76/5  rDev +18.2%

Boddingtons is one of the few beers than I prefer out of a can instead of on tap. Poured from a can into a pint glass, Boddingtons reveals its beautiful golden color and surprisingly creamy head. Not much of a scent to it, but a very clean tasting bear with very subtle citrus notes. The mouth feel is full and smooth, and the second pint goes down as easy as the first. I'd definitely recommend Boddingtons to any beer connoisseur regardless of taste.

Pours from nitro can a golden brew. Creamy head, lots of lacing. Hints of banana. A very smooth and refreshing beer. I almost always have one in my fridge. I sometimes use it to cleanse the mouth after a more complex beer.

2.56/5  rDev -19.5%

Poured from a nitro can into a pint

A Poured a golden color with a cascade of bubbles that cleared quickly. Medium white head. Okay lacing

S Sweet smell, hint of honey, fruity, not much smell of hops or malts

T Sweet and bitter, a little hoppiness, I can taste some metallic twang from the can

M Head is creamy, thin and dry mouthfeel

D Goes down very quick, not a smooth beer though, kind of harsh in my opinion

I was not very impressed with this beer, if this is a good pub ale then I'll stick to lagers and stouts

2.66/5  rDev -16.4%

Appearance: Golden and very clear. No bubbles to speak of but a nice fluffy persistent head. Laces all over the glass and stays at the bottom of the glass after drinking.

Smell: Smells like beer. Faintly.

Taste: Mild palate with sweet creamy head. I realize it's a bitter but a kind of acrid after-taste. Not quite a hop bitterness, that takes it from average to below.

Drinkability: Except for that acridity, it would be very drinkable. The creaminess makes me want more, but that after taste keeps me from getting another.

It's not a bad beer, very drinkable. It's not very malty, not too hoppy, and could use a little more flavor in general. I realize that's the idea, but still, my palate was searching for a flavor to latch on to.

2.42/5  rDev -23.9%

Well, another nitro-can that contains a mediocre swill.

Appearance - a nice dark gold, with a creamy head that's to be expected from the widget action.

Aroma - almost none, just an average malty sweetness.

Taste - ugh...watery. The malt would have been nice if there were a bit more of it. The hop bitterness overpowers the weakness of the malt to make for a less-than-satisfying drinking experience.

Mouthfeel - pretty uncarbonated, I guess I just don't like flat beer. :

Drinkability - I guess it's OK, if you're willing to put up with blandness all night.

3.21/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Served from nitro can into a pint mug.
A - Nice amber copper color
S - Very faint smell slightly fruity, dominated by piny hops aroma.
T - dry, with a moderately strong hop finish. Not surprisingly the word bitter comes to mind.
M - light mouthfeel. Light carbonation.
O - The taste is lighter than the color. Its OK but not a standout. I'm trying different styles to decide what to brew for the summer and this is the first bitter I've tasted. Easy to drink, but not my favorite style.

4.4/5  rDev +38.4%

Boddingtons is a classic!

I would say this "cream ale" defines the style with a wonderful mouth-feel well-complimented by the use of nitrogenation of the beer.

Boddingtons is a terrifically easy and refreshing beer to drink for almost any occasion(though it is particularly well-suited for colder weather)

Boddingtons Pub Ale from Boddingtons