Boddingtons Pub Ale - Boddingtons

awful

Boddingtons visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-20-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Boddingtons Pub Ale Alström Bros
2.42/5  rDev -23.9%

poured from can into 20oz. glass beer mug.

A. impressive, light tan creamy head extended nearly to the bottom of the glass! Head reduces to 1 finger in about 3 minutes (at least if one starts sipping before then), leaving a light amber colored ale, with bubbling still on inside surfaces of glass.

S. slightly metallic and not very attractive

T. Light with very subtle hops. Disappointing given the fine appearance, but better than the aroma indicates. Creamy head is nice while it lasts.

M. nicely effervescent; creamy.

D. see taste and smell comments.

chinchill, Sep 29, 2010
3.03/5  rDev -4.7%

A - Mild nitro head of fine bubbles. Amber brassy color.

S - Adjunct malts aluminum can not much hops or yeast. Very faint sugariness.

T - Sweet crystal and pale malts. There was no hoppyness, no esters, or fusils. Kind if boring.

M - Malty and creamy like a yogurt drink.

D - Hmm this is going to be a short review. This is a beer that looks nice and is very easy to drink but is boring that it's not worth the price.

jeranbrews, Sep 25, 2010
2.68/5  rDev -15.7%

I saw this last night and thought, "hmm.. ale in a can?". It wasn't until I got home that I realized it was a nitro can, and that was when I started to get excited.

After it exploded all over my kitchen, I performed the engineering project necessary to get it into a big 16 ounce pilsner glass. Pouring a foamy beer from a can whose sides are wet into a curvy glass is not easy!

I was very impressed with the head and the lace, the microbubbles in the head are always fun, but unfortunately it doesn't get much better from there. The color is alright, a sort of pale gold.

The smell at first reminded me of Guinness, but perhaps what I was smelling is nitrogen. After I took a few sips, the smell almost completely disappeared, which brings me to...

Taste? The only way I was able to get much flavor out of this beer was to also be breathing deeply through my nose. Then and only then did I detect faint malts, just a very small note of hops, and perhaps a stale smell.

The mouthfeel wasn't very impressive either, which was disappointing for a nitro beer. Only large sips really give any sort of feeling other than that of liquid flowing over the tongue. The nitrogen makes the experience a bit more interesting, though.

I do not think I would buy this again, at least not in can form. I am sad to say I could not even finish the glass, because I knew I had Full Sail's Barleywine waiting for me.

Clamwacker, Sep 21, 2010
2.6/5  rDev -18.2%

Had this on-tap a couple nights ago and am using my notes from the evening to type this up. It was quite a flashback getting this on tap. I remember buying a 4 pack of the nitro cans back in the day and saying to myself that I was drinking a really great beer. After this BeerQuest, I can't say the same. There's just so much better out there. That said, nitro taps are _always_ fun; they make beers like happy meals where you get a toy to play with while you eat. This was no exception. Unfortunately, sort of like having Chicken McNuggets after a few years, the taste can't live up to the memories.

Appearance: Amber, fun nitro head that sustains thickness.

Smell: Not much there. Maybe a little sweetness. Like a light beer.

Taste: Very clean, light, with a hint of malt and hops. Afterwards the taste felt a little gross. (Highly scientific adjectives...)

Mouthfeel: Nitro. Fun.

Drinkability: I don't even really want more than what I had. Probably the last time I'll order this Pub Ale, although truly... nitro makes me smile.

I really did feel as if a piece of my childhood (you know, 21 years old, cough cough) had been lost, or tainted, when I revisited this beer. Such disappointment. But I should say, that disappointment was only because of my high expectations. I'd drink this over many, many, many beers.

afksports, Sep 20, 2010
3.65/5  rDev +14.8%

Had this one last night at the Robin Hood British pub in Van Nuys. Light bronze in color with that creamy nitro head. Mellow crackery malts with a hint a fruit. Finishes with somewhat of a mineral hop bitterness. Not too bad if there isn't anything better on tap.

Sleestak, Sep 19, 2010
3.48/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured from 1 pint Nitro-Can into Pint glass.

A: Clear bronze with a dense, creamy off-white head. Very tiny bubbles cling to the inside of the glass. The head has excellent retention and doesn't so much lace as fail to move down the glass. It's like pudding, it's so thick. If I wasn't afraid to ruin my beer I'd try floating a quarter on it.

S: Butter, white bread toast, cream, and a slightly sour smell I can't quite identify.

T: Light, crackery malts carry the flavor of Anjou pears. Finishes with a notable mineral bitterness.

M: Smooth, almost creamy, with a very slight edge that fades in to accompany the bitterness on the finish. The head actually IS creamy.

D: This is a really laid back brew that goes with everything with some notable qualities. That wouldn't justify a "5" in and of itself were it not for one of these qualities which I find to be exceptional: This is the ONLY beer that I have had, to date, that I can drink warm, straight from the can, and enjoy.

TheMadJack, Sep 17, 2010
2.7/5  rDev -15.1%

a: Very nice creamy head, amber color underneath

s: Appetizing. Slightly floral. Makes me want to drink it

t: Here's the dilemma. At first, pretty good. Not great, but a fair balance. Pretty clean taste, only slight malt, with a some floral aroma and just a little more bitter. Promising to be something I could have more than one of... and then... the metallic taste comes in--Strong. And lingers on my tongue. I don't feel like taking another sip. Each sip is "oh this isn't so bad; pretty good actually..." and then the feeling of having a mouth full of iron filings.

m: Extremely creamy head. Smooth overall

d: Besides the metal, this would be a fine session beer. By as it stands, I have to brace myself for each sip.

Update: Toward the end of this beer, the flavors started to meld together much better. The metallic aftertaste turned into a somewhat more agressive bitterness throughout the whole sip and was less heavy on the later-end. Not sure if it was warming up a little or breathing a bit, but I think my next pint ought to sit for a few minutes before I approach it.

raymondofrish, Sep 17, 2010
1.98/5  rDev -37.7%

A: Poured from a nitro can. Obviously huge head, dense off white two fingers once setelled. Great lacing. Light amber color very clear.
S: Sweet carmel malt and yeast.
T: Very bland. some yeast and sweet malts again. Very earthy hopiness.
M: Not as think as expected. Somewhat thin and wet.
D: This was not drinkable because the taste is unpleasant to me.

Drain Pour. Never Again.

jmich24, Sep 14, 2010
1.78/5  rDev -44%

First off, the can exploded. I found this beer at my local supermarket in a four-pack of tall cans. My friend opened one before the rest of us and warned us that his exploded all over him, so we were cautious, but the damn thing blew up on us too! The next day, we let our other friend have the last one...explode.

This beer is dangerous.

A - Crystal clear orange-brown with creamy, very white head.

S - Very wheaty. Smelled to me like a typical American adjunct lager with a slight sweetness character.

T - Very watery and thin tasting. Very similar to a BMC. Some of my friends who reviewed with me said that it was actually tasteless.

M - Light-bodied, thin and watery.

D - The finish brought out a wheaty flavour with time, but never really improved the taste. This beer is decently drinkable if you aren't looking to have a ton of flavour, just something cold. Overall, not very impressed.

satchmo91, Sep 14, 2010
2.83/5  rDev -11%

From the nitro-can, started as a full glass of thick, creamy foam. Slowly the foam turned over from bottom to top revealing a deep yellow beer with a steady half-inch foamy white cap. After that, everything went down hill. Grassy aromas with stale biscuit. Despite the dramatic pour, there was no carbonation to speak of. Light, stale malty flavors with a very light hint of pear and a stale bread aftertaste.

IronLover, Sep 07, 2010
3.83/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a nitro can into a pint glass (yay for cascades)

Appearance is pretty average, nothing fancy. Only cool thing is the rich, thick creamy 3/4" of head. The type that sticks to your finger like frosting.

The smell of this beer is that of a light beer. Really nothing interesting or noteworthy.

The taste is absolutely smooth, creamy, soft and delicate on the palette. Slightly sweet. There's a nice balance between malt and simple hop note flavors. Nothing really stands out in the taste of this beer. The overly nitrogen rich body and creamy texture take out any room for noticeable characteristics.

You could sit and drink this beer all night long. I really do enjoy this beer, but put it up against a fine craft brew and it falls a bit short on character.

cjacobsen, Aug 31, 2010
3.05/5  rDev -4.1%

Appearance: Pours to a clear golden brown with a typically huge nitro-head.

Smell: Smells mildly of yeast and sweet malt, but mostly just nitro.

Taste: Again here there is simply nothing happening. Mild yeast and very mild sweet malt. Nothing tastes bad, in fact there's nothing to taste bad. Almost no hops.

Mouthfeel: Very light-bodied with little carbonation.

Drinkability: It's water, it'll get down.

darkmartin, Aug 31, 2010
3.15/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours a hazy light orange colour with thick white head that doesn't dissipate and leaves a lot of lacing. Smells of mild floral hops with some fruity malt. Very dry flavour with a small amount of bitterness from the hops. Creamy mouthfeel. I used to drink this a lot a few years ago as I started to move to more flavourful beer. Still good enough to drink now, but it's just ok.

kwjd, Aug 30, 2010
3.7/5  rDev +16.4%

A: I think it's beautiful in a pilsner glass when poured from the nitro can. Amber gold with tiny bubbles and a tight and dense white, 1 cm head. Looking at it made me thirsty!

S: While cold in the glass, I can hardly smell anything from this beer apart from mild yeastiness. 15 minutes and 15 degrees F later, still not much of a discernible smell...

T: Not a whole lot going on here. It is almost too smooth tasting, like alcoholic vanilla cream soda but without the sweetness. In a way, it's even bland. Almost no aftertaste and a very slight bitterness. My non beer drinker girlfriend might even like this. Tastes like a crowd pleaser though, nothing necessarily negative about it, and just a few positives. I can't give it a 3.5...it's like a 3.7, if that makes any sense. EDIT: I had to edit the score down to a 3.5. This beer doesn't really deserve a B+ to me because there is so much else out there that beats it.

M: Creamy and smooth, just like advertised. I can see the carbonation, but I can't detect it in my mouth. Similar mouthfeel to skim milk. It's a plus for this beer, I think it gives it a nice little boost above and beyond the simple flavor.

D: I think it's very drinkable. It is the definition of a beer that would be nice to drink at a party and goes well with food and snacks. Low ABV means it will fill you up long before you feel the effects. It's not really a beer that I would have a craving for, but I could probably drink ten of them.

Jemonster, Aug 21, 2010
3.08/5  rDev -3.1%

Had this on tap last night.

A: An awesome white 2 1/2 finger head lasted 4 minutes, this is one if it's best features. After that a 1 finger head remained just about until I was at the bottom of the glass. The beer is a nice golden yellow.
S: Some English hops come through but not much else.
T: Creamy at first that fades to a crisp, dry, slight bitter and grainy finish.
B:Medium body with slighty higher carbonation than I'd like.
D: I could tolerate a few of these, but not my session pick.

Homebrew35, Aug 20, 2010
3.28/5  rDev +3.1%

Note: To be fair, I'd like to mention that this is one of the few beers I'm reviewing from notes I made shortly after trying it. I tried this beer just a few weeks ago.

A - I give the highest score for this beer to the appearance, simply because it was fun to watch the head settle from the three layers (the bottom clear gold layer, the top foamy head layer, and the middle grainy mixture that eventually resettled to the head and body of the beer). The beer was a pale gold color and very clear.

S - A standard bitter beer smell, with a bitter herb scent.

T - The can boasted of Boddington's great heads, and I couldn't agree more. This beer provided one of the creamiest, sweetest heads I have ever tasted. The can's device did a good job, but I suspect that at a pub the flavor is even better (after all, Guinness bottles have a widget and still taste almost nothing like the beer on-tap!). Unfortunately, the rest of the beer left me unimpressed. I wrote on my notes that great beers follow a Gestalt principle, where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Great beers are more than just water that has passed through some grains and hops. Boddington's Pub Ale, to me, was just the sum of its parts. Still, the head was awesome. If I ever see this beer on-tap, I will try it to see if it's better than the canned version.

M - Kind of watery and thin, which fits in with my assessment of the body's flavor.

D - Bitter without much flavor means I only finished this beer because I paid for it.

TheKtulu7, Aug 15, 2010
3.58/5  rDev +12.6%

Poured into a pint glass.

Pours a massive, cascading head that settles down pretty quickly, leaving a dense cream-like white one finger thick head. The brew is a deep golden orange color. Descent head retention with a good lacing.

Smells of floral hops and sweet, mild malted grains and fresh bread - reminds me a bit of fresh brewed tea.

Tastes of floral hops, bready yeasts, mild caramel malt sweetness with a slightly bittered hop finish. Not too big in terms of flavor, but it definitely has a nice taste.

Mouthfeel is incredibly smooth and slick. Very creamy from the nitro.

This is a highly drinkable/sessionable brew that will go down very easily. I wish the flavors were a bit more pronounced, but overall, this is a pretty nice English Pale Ale.

ujsplace, Aug 13, 2010
2.35/5  rDev -26.1%

appearance: pours a clear, light golden yellow with rapid effervescence that dissipates quickly; finger-thick foamy head.

smell: scent of caramel with malty undertone yielding a faintly sweet smell with a faint trace of hops.

taste: beginning provides no discernable taste, progressing into a caramel bittersweet sensation, finishing with a very slightly hoppy, but more bitter finish.

drinkability: not unpleasant, but nothing to keep you coming back for more, may be bitter enough to deter some expecting a more hearty or hoppy ale.

weller1js, Aug 05, 2010
1.38/5  rDev -56.6%

Never heard of this so I picked one up off the shelf at a local shop. A quick look at my reviews will show the reader that I'm typically a pretty generous scorer on this site. This beer gets my first "F." Simply disgusting, I took at small sip of this and the rest went down the drain. The can in which this beer was shipped looks a bit like motor oil, the taste lived up to the billing, or at least a highly watered-down version of the same. It's astonishing to me that this beer was shipped 6 thousand miles when I would have had a much more satisfying experience drinking the local tap water.

appenzeller, Aug 03, 2010
2.93/5  rDev -7.9%

Poured from 1 pint nitro-can into shaker pint glass.

Appearance: Golden-orange color with a large, creamy nitro-head that never really goes away, but there's thick lacing where it does dissipate. The head moves down through the beer, making it appear cloudy, but this stops after a little while.

Smell: Sweet grains- very one-dimensional smell.

Taste: Begins with apple sweetness, finishing with sweet grain flavors and a buttery hint, with mild hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy, just as the can indicates. A watery, refreshing finish that sticks for a little while then disappears.

Drinkability: This beer is highly drinkable/sessionable, but lacks much flavor. Not a bad English pale ale, but very very average overall. I could drink this all day, but I would definitely want something more flavorful and with more character. This does taste like it would be perfect with fish and chips, though.

Mosstrooper, Jul 30, 2010
3.2/5  rDev +0.6%

16 oz. nitro-can into a stein.

Pours crystal-clear copper with just a bit of an amber tint to it, with the expected cascade of tiny bubbles. Leads to a one-inch, ridiculously dense head that has great retention.

Nose is light, malt sweetness comes through light and just a bit toasty with just a kiss of floral hops.

Taste is masked a bit by the nitro; not bad though. The flavors are a bit mashed up; floral hops, bit of underlying lightly toasted malt that are certainly evident of maris otter, and a light bitterness towards the finish that's a bit coarse. Very light, a bit clean before the lingering bitterness catches up. Just a bit of a metallic fruitiness on the tail end of the finish. This one reminds me of a homebrewed ESB we brewed not long ago.

Mouthfeel is creamy, smooth, medium bodied, to the exclusion of any carbonation bite at all (obviously, given the nitro widget). The smashed up flavors are the unfortunate side effect, and it could use just a bit of bite for a bit of added dryness. Not generally a fan of nitro, and this does nothing to change my mind.

Drinkability is good, though - really a decent beer, though not exactly one that I'd call well-crafted. Still perfectly drinkable.

JohnQVegas, Jul 29, 2010
2.4/5  rDev -24.5%

Poured a golden-amber, with very little head or visible carbonation, and poor lacing. Some pear and apple in the nose, but exceedingly caramelly and malty. The taste confirmed this; very little balance in the flavor, with a thin finish. The feel overall was thin and watery, which I'm sure makes it good for sessioning, but the lack of flavor contradicts that.

donniecuffs, Jul 23, 2010
2.88/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer was always described to me as a blonde Guinness, but immediately upon receiving this brew I knew that this comparison was only based on the nitro. Even the mouthfeel is way different, something that was difficult for me to describe. The smell was of an American adjunct lager and the taste was boring and bland, comparably less exciting to that of a light beer.

Maybe this beer has a story, or a place in a culture or scene that I'm unfamiliar with, but in my scene, it has no place. Don't really see the point of it and it wasn't worth my time.

mjw06, Jul 11, 2010
3.38/5  rDev +6.3%

16oz nitro can poured into a Guinness pint glass.

Pours a nice amber to light brown with that really nice creamy white nitro head along with some light white lacing. Nose is light and I get a bit of caramel malt but that's it.

Wow, I was recently in London and this really reminds me of the Real Ale I had there, different obviously but the closest thing I've had that wasn't on cask! Bitterness is very low and it's super well balanced, light carbonations and it's so hot that it's about cask temp, malty adn slightly sweet, overall pretty decent!

kingcrowing, Jul 10, 2010
3.35/5  rDev +5.3%

i remember this being a lot nicer. remember there being a nice honey quality to it. seems to be missing in this batch. pour is nitrocan. eye candy but nothing along the lines of appealing after the fun is over. nose of hay and a bit of lemon, color of hay. the palate was not as enjoyable. not sweet but with a strange bitter quality that wasn't malt backed. very one dimensional. will have to have maybe one more time in the future.

rtepiak, Jul 09, 2010