Boddingtons Pub Ale - Boddingtons

awful

Boddingtons visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-20-2001)
View: Beers (2) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Boddingtons Pub Ale Alström Bros
theBubba

3.18/5  rDev -0.3%

From the nitro can we get an amber/gold pour with lots of tiny bubbles that help this totally flat brew produce a nice creamy head that quickly recedes to a quarter of an inch, but to its credit, lasts to the end. As does the fairly nice lace. The ale itself has a pleasant malty, not too hopped, taste and an aroma largely of malt, a little of banana, and a touch of floral, but this brew lacks body and bubble. The big disappointment here is that, despite the nitro device, there is a total lack of carbonation. This stuff is like drinking "flat beer" or ale flavored water. Not nearly as good as the Boddington's I've had on tap while in London. At $8 for 4 pint cans, I'd opt for 3 big Bass bottles.

12-14-2008 04:53:47 | More by theBubba
harley101

Manitoba (Canada)

4.33/5  rDev +35.7%

after reading reviews on this beer i decided to get one. i thought
the can was very plain to start. but never judge a bbic.

i poured it into my guinness glass andit was appropriate because the beer turned out to be a lighter colored version of it.

this beer is delicious and i regret i only bought one. Its so smooth and easy going down. creamy on the toungue.I just wish the abv was 1% higher and it would be perfect.

i highly recommend.

Serving type: can

12-12-2008 23:38:53 | More by harley101
Working4Beer

4.55/5  rDev +42.6%

Love this beer. A bit of a more mass-produced beer but none-the-less a great drink. A great taste and a great drink. And not too heavy so there is no issue in not be able to drink plenty. Best out of the tap but the nitro-can is not a bad second option.

12-10-2008 22:25:01 | More by Working4Beer
SwiftyMcBeer

Indiana

3.45/5  rDev +8.2%

Ahhh, an old favorite, this is one of the first beers that really showed me what beer could be. Has it lived up to my memories as my tastes have matured? Not quite . . .but I still feel like this is a quality mass-produced brew. A decent looking pour with an attractive head, a nice creamy, frothy, taste, I sense banana, am I crazy or is it there. A beer milkshake type of feel to it. Really the taste is a bit empty compared to what I'm used to, it comes and goes so quickly. Not offensive, just a bit weak. It doesn't live up to the better brews I have graduated too, but it does live up to the memories.

Serving type: can

12-10-2008 21:15:23 | More by SwiftyMcBeer
cleeze

Maine

3.08/5  rDev -3.4%

Appearance: Brilliantly clear honey (how appropriate) colored body. Very Creamy head and appearance

Aroma: Clean and crisp with roasted malt and hints of a floral, hoppy bitterness. A little thin, to be sure.

Taste: Bitter up front with some dry, roasty malt flavors in the back. At times, you can pick up a juicy, fruity sweetness that reminds me of British wine gums. A nice combination, but nothing that's going to change your world.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, creamy, and soft - when I think of an exceptionally creamy beer, this immediately springs to mind.The aftertaste is bitter.

Drinkability: While bitter, the alcohol content is relativity low, so if it suits your taste you can drink this all night (much like Guinness).

12-09-2008 18:31:17 | More by cleeze
Vendetta

2.25/5  rDev -29.5%

Original Rating Date:
June 18, 2008

It excited me at first with the creamy, thick, white head. The head tasted great, reminded me of a foamy marshmallow type taste. The aroma, however, left something to be desired. As nice as the thick, creamy head was, I didn't really care for the beer all that much. It was extremely watery in contrast with the head and just felt weak overall to me.

12-07-2008 00:54:20 | More by Vendetta
colts9016

Idaho

The nitro in the can made a very foamy thick head that lasted through most of the beer. The mouthfeel was a little bit too creamy for me which seemed to hid some the beers attributes. It had mild grain flavor couldn't tell to much more. Could drink again.

12-05-2008 00:49:07 | More by colts9016
DmanGTR

3.15/5  rDev -1.3%

On tap at Tir na Nog at the Phoenix in Philly.

A - quite a lovely sight, like a pale gold Guinness with it's "falling" bubbles. Creamy white head that had decent lacing and retained to the very end.

S - pale malts, a touch of hops, grainy, bread, floral but low key

T - not bad but average at best. Lightly sweet corn, slight caramel malts, very faint hops in the finish. Banana?

M - despite it's less than great taste, it is pretty gentle on the palate. Creamy, smooth, light bodied, carbonation is medium and contributes much to its creaminess. Velvety.

D - quite the session beer. I would have gotten more but a Smithwick's called my name.

Overall - definitely not worth the $5/pint. If it was $3 then yes. A good session beer but that's about all it has going for it. Rather pay a few bucks more for Guinness... but then again, it's only Guinness Draught... no Extra Stout here...

Serving type: nitro-tap

12-04-2008 06:56:42 | More by DmanGTR
glid02

Georgia

3.28/5  rDev +2.8%

Got this at J's in Thomasville, GA.

Pours a clear light straw color with a cascade that finally settles into a one-finger foamy white head. The head eventually recedes into a pancake on top. Lacing is decent.

Smells of mild caramel malt with small amounts of light fruit and floral aromas.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Mild caramel malt flavors up front are joined shortly by just a hint of light fruits. There's a flavor at the end that I can describe only as musty. Not totally disagreeable, but not the best in the world.

Mouthfeel is good. It's creamy, but the carbonation is just a tad above making the beer taste flat.

Drinkability is good. I finished one without much a problem, but I wasn't exactly excited about the prospect of finishing the 4-pack.

Overall this was a decent beer. I can't say that I'm terribly familiar with the style, but I feel like it should have more flavor.

12-02-2008 01:53:18 | More by glid02
JDRourke

4.35/5  rDev +36.4%

Despite other reviews, I found this beer to be an exceptional antithesis of the flavor-exploding beers in large production these days. I've had Boddingtons a number of times over the past two months, in cans and from tap at the Flying Saucer in Austin Texas, and I'm always excited to rely on it as an incredibly drinkable, low-gravity beer with delicate hints of sweet corn, and even, light banana on the after taste. Its nose isn't incredibly pronounced, but is reflective of the subtle flavors within. The carbonation is nice and frothy and melts away quickly like the much wider known Guinness brews, leaving a creamy smoothness on the palate after a sip. For those who want a great beer to drink during events that you wouldn't normally want high-gravity (movies, football games, socials with important guests that you cant turn into a drunken ass in front of) then Boddington's Pub Ale is for you. Cheers!

11-29-2008 20:18:12 | More by JDRourke
jujubeast6000

2.83/5  rDev -11.3%

Reviewed 1/11/2008 (Tap @ Fox & Hound, CL):

Pours a clear yellow color, domesticy looking. Big white creamy head, lasting. Very malty aroma, not much else. Creamy malty but balanced taste. A little bitter aftertaste. Fruity aftertaste. Very light, not too flavorful.

11-26-2008 04:32:45 | More by jujubeast6000
popery

2.63/5  rDev -17.6%

Is it a good beer? No, not really. Is the nitro can fun as all get out? You bet. I'm a huge fan of the big cascading heads (not quite sure of their real name), and the nitro cans do a good job reproducing this aspect of a Boddingtons. On the other hand, I've had at least three or four (probably more but I can't list them in my head) different varieties of beer in nitro cans, and every single one is far better from the tap. Now, this could be that I have spent more time drinking in pubs in England and Ireland than anywhere else that I've traveled outside the US, and the beer was simply fresher than the imported nitro cans. Of course, beer is usually best from the tap, but there has seemed to be a more marked difference for these British and Irish beers than most. At any rate, I will re-review Boddingtons from the tap next time I see it or, even better, next time I'm in England.

This nitro can produced an amusing explosion and only a quick grab of my glass prevented a mess. I learned my lesson about these things a while ago, but the Boddingtons widget seemed particularly aggressive. Initially, the beer appears to be a nearly solid off-white head, a roiling mass of tiny bubbles jostling their way to the top. The head settles into a stiff foam, like an over-frothed cappuccino. It looks like you could rest change on top of that head. The beer itself is a pale-yellow gold, a bit disappointing after the big special effects display of the nitrogen. The smell is quite weak, which seems counterintuitive to me with such a big head. If that many swirling bubbles can't coax more than a weak, pale malt nose out of this beer, then there isn't much there. The taste would almost certainly improve if the beer was poured from a tap. Right now, it's malty but thin and generic. The feel is a bit watery, which is particularly disappointing when compared to the tap version. I remember Boddingtons having a much creamier, richer feel from my trip to the UK. I had a particularly enjoyable night of drinking Boddingtons once on a ferry from France to Ireland. That was a weird twenty or so hours.

11-25-2008 06:22:35 | More by popery
yossarian14

3.05/5  rDev -4.4%

Once the head settles and all the commotion comes to a halt, this beer looks like its made of styrofoam or wax. If I turn it upside-down will it spill. I just don't know. A pale malt aroma without much else. A bland nose. I can't complain about the taste but I can't rave about it either. Starts out clean and creamy and finishes watery and slightly bitter. Very drinkable and more enjoyable if your not reviewing or thinking too much about the flavor.

11-23-2008 18:45:35 | More by yossarian14
hdofu

Maryland

3.45/5  rDev +8.2%

A foamy gold beer. The smell is grainy with a hint of nutmeg. Taste is bland with hint of something in the spice cabinet. I'm glad I tasted it. But I don't think I'd want a bunch of them. They aren't bad or offensive though and go down easy. All and all, a nice uncomplicated casual ale.

11-10-2008 03:38:07 | More by hdofu
themaxx76

Arizona

4.88/5  rDev +53%

I had this ale for the first time a couple years back in a little pub in Brighton, England. I immediately fell in love with it. It's extremely smooth, thick creamy head and the bitter notes hit the back of the tounge just right. Luckily it's really easy to find here in Phoenix and Churchill's Pub and Grill always have it on tap.

11-08-2008 18:12:08 | More by themaxx76
BeanBone

3.83/5  rDev +20.1%

Appearance: Brilliantly clear honey colored body. Thanks to the widget, the head is amazingly dense, creamy, and measures a full two fingers. Great fun to pour and watch with interesting little bubbles that cling to the glass. I could watch this all day, not quite as cool as the Guinness cascade, but certainly worth the cost of admission. Even after the head settles, this is an exceptionally pretty beer. The head rides all the way down to the bottom of the glass, leaving sudsy lacing behind.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, creamy, and soft - when I think of an exceptionally creamy beer, this immediately springs to mind. Mouthfeel is really one of the highlights of canned Boddingtons and just another reason to bow down to the widget. The aftertaste is pleasantly bitter.

Verdict: A very different beer, Boddingtons in a can is an experience all beer lovers should try at least once. Perhaps the taste is not the most remarkable in the English Pale Ale category, but the appearance and mouthfeel are so unique that the beer will always stand out to me. A worthy survivor of more than two centuries.

11-06-2008 03:09:05 | More by BeanBone
mattffrost

3.18/5  rDev -0.3%

A: A clear light copper bear with a nice foamy creamy white head. The nitrogen really adds to the appearance.

S: Smells like a typical Lager to me. Some spicey smells. Really a general beer smell to me.

T: I have to say the taste is average. A typical Lager taste to me. The head is creamy and nice tasting but the beer is uneventuful. I was expecting some bitterness but get none.

M: The creaminess of the head is the only nice thing for my mouth and senses I experiece.

D: Not my favorite beer to drink but a really easy beer to drink. Smooth but needs more to it.

11-01-2008 01:27:16 | More by mattffrost
kenito799

2.73/5  rDev -14.4%

1 pint nitro-can poured into a pint glass.

The rising head and soft creamy result are fun and pretty. Head stays at leats 1/2 inch.

Mild caramel maly aroma, some cooked hops, fresh. Flavor has some fresh hoppy bitterness up front, mouthfeel smooth and creamy. But unfortuantely there is a sour edge to the beer that leaves a somewhat unpleasant finish. Drinkable only with food...having rough time finishing this alone.

10-25-2008 03:29:18 | More by kenito799
auxiliary

Rhode Island

3.38/5  rDev +6%

appearance - Cloudy yellow with a nice creamy head.

smell - Has a floral smell to it and some malt present.

taste - Has some malt taste here with some biscut taste here.

mouthfeel - Creamy taste.

drinkability - Was an ok beer. i don't think it was easy drinking beer. I tried this at Disney's Epcot.

Serving type: nitro-tap

10-21-2008 01:34:16 | More by auxiliary
diabecktic

3.23/5  rDev +1.3%

Appearance:
As with most of the nitro systems, I get to witness the beautiful "cascade" effect. Unfortunately, it's not as pleasing given the color of the beer; it's a somewhat dark shade of gold with a hint of copper. It's not "ugly" per se, but the cascading is much nicer with the darker stout styles. Head formation, retention, and lacing are all pretty good.

Smell:
It smells somewhat like a sweet flower. I would say that the malty aromas tend to outweigh any hop scents. The malt smells like a biscuit that is cooked golden-brown - not too bad.

Taste:
Again, the maltiness seems to dominate. There really isn't a whole lot of bitterness to counter this, nor are there any other flavors to compliment the biscuity tones. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot here other than the aforementioned flavor and a mildly sweet aftertaste.

Mouthfeel:
This beer is a bit watery for my taste. It's quite smooth, but there really isn't a whole lot of what I would call "substance." I suppose there is a very, very sublte, mild creaminess, though.

Drinkability:
Given the lack of thickness, it's quite easy to throw these down "en masse." Drinking it quickly will not force you to miss out on anything in the flavor department. I suppose it'd be a good "bar" beer, though it might be a bit pricey here on-tap in the States.

Summary:
The key feature of this beer is the drinkability. Since there isn't too much present in terms of mouthfeel or flavor, I could easily picture myself throwing down a bunch of these at a bar or otherwise in the company of friends. I wasn't too impressed in terms of flavor, but I suppose that I can't knock the biscuit character too much. It's not BAD, I just don't think it's anything other than average.

10-05-2008 04:27:27 | More by diabecktic
Jayli

The beer pours a clear darker gold. Roughly a 3/8 inch head after settling in glass. Head is white but not impressive in size or stature. There isn't much of an aroma to speak of. Literally no flavor other than a sense of malt denseness and a tad of hops at the close. Mouthfeel is average other and there is very little carbonation. I had really high hopes for this beer. I wouldn't turn it away, but won't purchase it on my own again.

09-27-2008 04:03:29 | More by Jayli
mshallah

New Hampshire

3.35/5  rDev +5%

The main goal of the nitro widget contained in this can of Boddingtons is to reproduce the beer as you would get it on nitro-tap. It should have a dense, creamy head that remains atop the liquid and also provide a creamy mouthfeel. Making sure the can was not too cold, and my glass was big enough to pour the entire contents, I poured steadily at a medium pace to let the nitrogen exit the widget and into the liquid. If the beer is too cold on pouring I've noticed a complete lack of aroma. This is a very light beer so you've really got to coax out the flavors and aromas. When warm enough you can smell the banana yeast character. The light flavor mimics this banana note. This canned version of Boddingtons is a pale imitation of the tap version because the taste and smell of the head is a slight bit canny or metallic and also a bit thin in flavor and aroma. The mouthfeel ends more watery than creamy. Still, overall the Boddingtons flavor although one dimensional is pleasant.

09-26-2008 13:46:52 | More by mshallah
1fastz28

2.13/5  rDev -33.2%

heard some decent things about this beer, thought i'd give it a whirl. like guinness or murphys its a nitro can so its neat to hear the nitro widget go crazy after you open it and pour it in the glass and see the big white head develop, thats where all the good ends, and the bad begins, smell reaks of corn, more than budlight, its crazy how unappealing it smells. taste is even less, appealing, just a bitter and skunky watery mess.. mouthfeel is like distilled water, i woud say avoid

09-24-2008 01:59:55 | More by 1fastz28
morimech

3.75/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a pale golden with the cascading head from the nitro. Head retention is good with sheets of lacing left on the glass during consumption.

Just faint aroma of grassy, floral hops and mild malt.

Mild flavors of biscuit malt and grassy hops. Just a touch of sweetness on the finish but otherwise very clean.

Creamy texture, light body, and low carbonation leaves a nice feeling in the mouth.

Very easy drinking and sessionable.

09-20-2008 19:40:38 | More by morimech
Cunningham26

3.8/5  rDev +19.1%

a: pours a thick goldenrod with a white foam that settles like a guiness and leaves little lacing
s: little to speak of, but sometimes it smells great and sometimes it smells like a pocket full of change
t: extremely creamy and thick. lives up to the reputation as the "vanilla guiness" with a good balance, but only a slight amount of grassy hops vaguely on the palate
m: again very creamy, somewhat thick. The first really cold sip is great, but when it settles down to room temperature, the flavors are really able to be discerned, and are worth waiting for
d: very heavy, i couldn't do more than a few of these per session. great as a final drink of the evening

09-17-2008 01:14:35 | More by Cunningham26