Boddingtons Pub Ale - Boddingtons

awful

Boddingtons visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-20-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Boddingtons Pub Ale Alström Bros
3.25/5  rDev +2.2%

klikger gave me this and i just haven't gotten around to drinking it. i may have inadvertently aged it for about a year....haha.

a - ok, i know this isn't the best beer in the world, but damn thats a nice pour. i love nitro. pour looks as if i'm pouring cream. seperates in the glass leaving a nice clean golden beer topped with a thick blanket of head. great lacing.

s - sweet malts and pilsner. somewhat narrow, but still not bad.

t - taste is very weak. watered down malty flavor with a slight bitterness for hops. has that odd sweetness i find in a lot of UK beers and some scotch ales.

m - from the looks of the beer, you'd think it would be kind of thick, but its not. very thin palate.

overall - the best thing about this beer is the nitro. aside from that its crap.

3.25/5  rDev +2.2%

pours clear bright gold with a 1 finger head that left some spotted lacing

smells like a watery pils

taste much of the same watery pils - grassy and pale malt

mouthfeel is very thin with almost no carbonation

drinkability is good - this beer drinks like water low abv - i could drink these all day long but the price tag is a little steep for what flavors you get

3.68/5  rDev +15.7%

Usually poured on tap or from tall can. Pours a medium, frothy, white head, and a clear, golden appearance, with tiny roiling bubbles. There is a lot of creamy, thick lacing left down the glass, much like a milk shake. The aroma is almost undetectable, but one can pick up some barley malt, with effort. Taste is mostly malt, but there is some hop bitterness showing up at the end of the sip, which gives the ale a minimal bite. Mouth-feel is light to medium, and Boddingtons Pub Ale finishes semi-dry. Overall, this is a rather bland product, but I'd say it's pretty good.

2.8/5  rDev -11.9%

Appearance: A slightly oversized pint glass is recommended. The nitro-can pours beautifully, filling the glass with microbubbles as it builds a thick creamy head. The head, about one finger thick, lasts for a long time, leaving heavy foam all down the glass as you drink. The color, after the microbubbles clear, is a light brown.

Smell: Very little smell, slight yeastiness, no hops aroma.

Taste: Mild bitterness, with little malt sweetness.

Mouthfeel: A bit light on the palate, not a objectionable finish, just not much there.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. It would be easy to put several of these down, but if I wanted to drink like that, I'd choose a different beer. There just isn't enough taste here to hold my interest past the first one.

4.3/5  rDev +35.2%

I usually avoid cans, but after several positive reviews from some respected beer tasting locals, I decided to give this one a go. Pleasantly surprised. A quick pour from the can will give an effect similar to Guinness Draft. The big difference was the light amber color. The thick head could easily float a penny and left a thick lacing as I enjoyed every taste. The first impression is very creamy with a hint of freshly mowed grass. The finish is clean and light. This beer is very drinkable.

2.68/5  rDev -15.7%

Pint nitro-can purchased at Piccolo's for $2.59.

A highly carbonated beer. It nearly foamed over when I poured it into my pint glass. Golden yellow color with a frothy white head. Lots of lacing on the glass.

Very mild with a slightly metalic aftertaste.

3.1/5  rDev -2.5%

Thanks to Chance for sharing this. The beer pours an orange-amber color with a white head. The aroma is bubblegum and grass. The flavor is grass and biscuit malt. Some light fruit. Thin mouthfeel and creamy carbonation. Pour mouthfeel. A little bit disappointing overall.

3.68/5  rDev +15.7%

Boddington's Pub Ale has a medium, creamy, white head, with a clear, golden appearance and fine roiling bubbles. Lots of thick lacing is left down the glass, much like a milk shake. The aroma is almost undetectable, but a slight barley malt smell can be picked up, with effort. Taste is mostly malt, but a little bit of hop bitterness shows up at the end of the sip, giving the ale just a sliver of a bite. Mouth-feel is light to moderate, and Boddingtons Pub Ale finishes semi-dry. Overall, although this is a rather bland product, it is okay and worth a try.

RJT

2.75/5  rDev -13.5%

The pour out of the nitro can is always fun to watch. I love just turning these kinds of cans 180 degrees and just letting them guzzle into the glass, then watching the awesome cascade of bubbles form a perfect head.

I really liked the smell. It had a slightly sweet, almost buttery smell that really suits the pale, buttery look.

Very little taste in front and middle, and then just a little malty but not too sweet at the back. It definitely does not live up to the look and the smell. It also has a strange aftertaste of grains that hangs around, but not all night.

The mouthfeel is incredibly watery. It doesn't seem like it could be so thin from looking at it. Maybe this is because I'm an American and brought up on American beers, but it tastes flat (but I think Guinness tastes flat too).

Overall, this is an ok beer. I think it would go well along with a meal, just about any meal because it is so watery and neutral. I could probably have a few of these after drinking something a little more intense and flavorful.

3.73/5  rDev +17.3%

Had my first can of this tonight. You definitely want to pour it into a tall glass. Watching the head form is a truly delightful sight. It looks like you are pouring liquid vanilla ice cream out of a can. The tiny bubbles cascade furiously up to the top as a beautiful head is formed. It is similar to a Guinness nitro-can but more intense. Less colorful but more impressive.

It smells pleasant - a sweet vanilla cream smell with hints of coffee, yeast, malt and hops.

Mouth feel is not overly impressive in my opinion. It is creamy but a bit on the watery side. I found myself wishing it was a bit more carbonated.

Drinkability is good. If you can drink water, you can drink this! You get a mild bitter aftertaste but it is very subtle and well balanced.

I enjoyed this beer and glad I tried it. It might not be my first choice next time but I will come back to it again as drinking it is a delightful experience.

2.9/5  rDev -8.8%

The nitro-can is always fun, though I rarely deal with one. It produces the intended look, giving this pale yellow ale a superbly creamy head, looking just like a slab of ice cream was carefully placed on top. 3 points for the unassuming, fairly drab yellow liquid, but a definite 6 outta 5 for the amazing head. And the voluminous lace sheets that cover the glass.

Smells very English pale ale, no doubt there. Big, bready, yeasty, with a dab of rich homemade butterscotch bringing it all together.

Unfortunately the experience sinks from there. Flavor is like a watery version of the aroma, offering ghosts of fresh yeasty bread and the pale likeness of butter rum candies. Not bad by any means, but not helped by the...

Mouthfeel. This may very well be the intended feel of this nitro-canned pale ale, and may approximate, as best it can, the real hand pulled thing you'd receive in any given pub in the town of Luton. But it feels flat and thin to me, and I'm not a big fan of flat and thin. Unless you're talking pizza crust.

Worth the experience. Looks and smells great. But not anxious to try it again...

1.45/5  rDev -54.4%

Had this beverage on tap at the local irish pub. Poured into a pint glass and left a two finger white head that leaves lace and lasts for the duration.

Has a less than aromatic smell and the has a bitter metallic taste. I did chug it down but near painful at the end. I would not recomend this beer.

3.43/5  rDev +7.9%

Annoying nitro widget! Opening it resulted in beer spilling out all over my pants and shirt. I forgot these cans do that.

Well, into a plastic cup (I'm at work--friday beer cart) it's a nice clear amber color with a smooth nitro head, dense and lasting. Very grainy nose, sweet with only a hint of hops. Flavor follows the nose: quite grainy, though not as sweet, and hops but a distant impression, lightly felt. Not an interesting beer, not tasty... but it's better than the Bud Light and MGD 64 that they also bought for the beer cart.

3.3/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

This pours a clear-light amber after the nitro-ed fizz dies off, leaving a thick frothy one-finger head. Light, earthy, yet slightly metallic smell reveals a smooth, well-balanced flavor that suffers mightily from a metallic canned taste. This is true-to style in terms of very faint hop bitterness balanced by overly smooth and buttery malts. Feels much heavier than you would expect from the beer's other aspects. All in all, I think this one is a very sessionable pub ale - satisfies, without demanding much from you or your taste buds.

3.6/5  rDev +13.2%

Nitro-can gives way to the cascading effect of colors into the pint glass. After settling, a perfect golden-copper color with a two finger head forms. Some hops, maltiness and metal in the nose. Taste is very smooth, with a touch of hoppiness that allows for a very mild citrus flavor. Slight bitterness in the aftertaste, very malty and fresh tasting beer. Some faint metallic can taste that lingers around on the taste buds. Mouthfeel is insanely creamy and smooth with a very mild carbonation. The drinkability of this beer is off the charts. Not a very complex beer, but it is one heck of a drinker for sure.

2.7/5  rDev -15.1%

Consumed on a cruise to the Mexican Riveria. Brought to the table in the can and a mug. Popped the top and heard the fizz. Poured into the mug and I am met with an amber colored ale and a bright white foam that stays the entire session. Unfortunately this was the highlight of the session. Very malty aroma with some slight hops possibly. Maybe a whiff of fruit in there too. After the first sip I am getting a metallic taste to start followed by some light hops and a long bitter finish. Dull beer. The drinkablility was very low as the metallic taste was tiresome and there are too many beers to try. I will say I would be happy to try this at the source someday and re-review.

3.1/5  rDev -2.5%

Transparent golden body topped by creamy white head that sticks around for a while. Aroma of sugar, floral, cream, and slight hop leaf. Cream, milk, slight cereal, flour, hop dryness towards the finish. Thick, creamy mouthfeel with little carbonation. Lacking flavor and containing no standout characteristics other than creaminess, this beer is average in all aspects.

From notes. Poured into a pint at Elephant and Castle in Grove City, PA. Paired with fish n chips. Nice copper color and one finger head. It may have been the atmosphere but this is exactly how I wanted my brew to look. The aroma was nice and clean with a malt base and a kiss of hops. Body was medium and the mouthfeel was extremely creamy. Is the draft version nitro? Washed down my fish n chips quite well. Is it fantastic? No. Is it cool to have at a pretend English Pub? Yes, for me it was.

4.25/5  rDev +33.6%

This is a great beer. It's perfect for cold weather. The head is what makes this beer perfect. Nose is excellent. I'd recommend this beer to a person looking to spend some time with some imports.

Also, It's fairly cheap for an import. I It's just as good as most other British beers.

3.39/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - This stuff cannot wait to get out of that can! Bubbles over when cracked so get to pouring! Nice tan color on the pour with tons of head, settles down to a nice deep amber, almost brown.

S - Slight malt smell with a tinge of sugary sweetness but not overpowering. Faint.

T - Lighter than a stout with a surprising and nice bite to it. Bitterish taste pairs well with the smooth mouthfeel.

M - Creamy smooth really nice flowing mouth feel. Silky right to the finsh.

D - A nice beer. Better than average and I'm generally not a huge Brit-beer fan. This would wash down some fish-n-chips rather well.

4.5/5  rDev +41.5%

This is without a doubt, my wintertime beer. Love the fact that it pours like a Guinness, but it is an ale. The lack of traditional carbonation allows you to drink more and not get that one gets from traditional beers. I wouldn't drink this in a warm climate, but once the temperature dips below 60˚, this is the beer I turn to.

3.3/5  rDev +3.8%

bought a widget can of this. barely put any pressure on the tab and the can pretty much exploded with head shooting me in the hand and face and dripping onto my desk. really, Boddingtons?

A - despite my mishap, an incredibly creamy head was poured that I stared at for a good 2 or 3 minutes as it swirled and settled. beer itself is a pale, dull amber

S - that roasty pale ale smell that I love. nothing more needs to be said

T - despite all this, it's a somewhat thin, bland tasting beer. the character of a good ale is there, but nothing really makes it pop with any life or distinction between any other random beer. good maltiness though. still, the head seems to have 5 times of a taste profile than the actual beer itself

M - thick head stays on top of a thin and watery body. meh

D - by no means is this unfinishable, but the late blooming malt finish is really the only thing that would keep me coming back. now if you'll excuse me, I have to get beer out of my keyboard

3.18/5  rDev 0%

A - upon cracking the can foam started bubbling out. I thought the can had been shaken up or something from the pressure. that's a hell of a widget in there. this beer pours an extremely tall head, practically filling the glass, then dissipates to a more reasonable finger or so. the head and lacing are both pretty creamy/foamy, the beer a nice shade of amber.

S - not too much to the nose. some malt and honey/sweetness.

T/M - creamy and clean on the front. tastes almost like a more watery, crisp guinness, with a hint of honey on the back end. surprisingly light, seems like it's missing something.

D - I was overall pleased with this beer. I could see how someone could knock a few of these back.

3.13/5  rDev -1.6%

A-amber with a lot of cream colored head, has the cascade effect. the head stays throughout the tasting

S-smells like thick molasses...a strong scent. very sweet smelling

T-hits with almost a lack of taste except for some molasses. it leaves with a very good light smooth taste of molasses.

M-little carbonation, almost none. very smooth and creamy. very expected for an english ale

D-the taste gets better as it goes on. this is the perfect drink to have after a good sitting of stronger beers. but i had to pick any beer to have a lot of...this would be far from the top.

3.73/5  rDev +17.3%

Everytime I hold a tall can in my hand all I can think is "I said get the talls snotrag" (The Stoned Age, 1994). Escaping the normal image of the silver bullet tall'ie Boddington's classes up the joint with it's Draughtflow enhanced 1 pint canister of frothy sweet goodness.

On the side of the Boddington's can are proper drinking and pouring directions (always a sign of a good beer).

I grabbed my "kick ass beer glass," as I call it, and commence proper pourage. The glass filled completely with foam! I doubled checked my pouring procedures in case I made a mistake but I did not. I looked back at my glass and watched in amazement as the foam circled, and slowly condensed into a frothy one inch head at the top of my glass. Below was the sweet light golden nectar I had been looking for. For how how much foam the beer started with I was surprised at the lack of bubbles sprouting from the sides of my mug. They were mostly concentrated at the bottom with it beeing clear on the sides.

I'm a sniffer, I took a good whiff of the beer prior to my first sip. Much like other pale beers it has a sweet smell like apple/pear juice.

My first sip was smooth and creamy due to the thick frothy head. The beer has a creamy, honey, and barley taste making it a good drinkable beer but not a standout.

I enjoyed the after taste more than I enjoyed the actual taste, it was that nice bitter taste that only appears on the back end of your tounge and on your tonsils. It also gave me that dry mouth feeling, that leaves you yearning for another sip.

All in all, I enjoyed the beer quite a bit, I loved the formation of the head, and I enjoyed the aftertaste quite a bit. I would definetly buy this beer again and recommend it to someone who is just dicovering the world of "good ass beers."

Boddingtons Pub Ale from Boddingtons