Boddingtons Pub Ale - Boddingtons

Boddingtons visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-20-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Boddingtons Pub Ale Alström Bros
2.27/5  rDev -28.6%

[Appearance]: Nice amber golden color with a thick and creamy head.
[Smell]: Faint bitteriness, maybe some hint of sweet malts.
[Taste]: Very dull flavor of bitter hops and sweet malts, nothing really special.
[Mouthfeel]: Creamy mouthfeel, also has a weird metallic aftertaste that lingers in my mouth.
[Drinkability]: Nope! Not this one.

2.72/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

It's great when you pour this beer and watch the cascading, but after that it's pretty downhill.

It's not a bad beer, but definitely not a good one.
It's pretty forgettable.

A - The cascading rocks.The beer pours a pale golden color with a beautiful creamy (cool whip almost) white head.

S - Nothing to grabby on the smell. Has a very pale dull smell to it.

T - The taste is very dull and uneventful. Almost watery. Infact I probably would have rather had just drank a bottle of water.. I wouldn't have spilled it all over when I opened it... and I'm convinced due to it being in the can, that's where you get this metallic aftertaste. UGH!

M - I was a little disappointed when I felt in my mouth. I thought it would be a lot creamier and heavier after I got a look at the head.

D - It's actually pretty drinkable because of the watered down taste.

I'd really like to drink this on tap though. I'm sure it'd be a much better way to taste it.

3.14/5  rDev -1.3%

A neat little nitro cascade leaves a dense-looking bright white cap atop a light bronze body - completely transparent. Aromas of toasted malty grain and faint corn husk. Suggestions of honey and slight twist of esters and earthy hops. Pleasant toasted grain malt sweetness at first. Nice earthy hop bitterness kicks in mid-palate to offer a nice balance...from here it goes to hell. Drying finish with a sharp bitter acrid edge accompanied by a strong metallic taste that follows you into the aftertaste. Man that started off alright and finished pretty bad. Smooth, creamy mouthfeel from the nitro to start but then everything is overtaken by that acrid metallic bitterness kickes in...almost a sharp acidic aftertaste. Bleh. I can imagine this would be 100 times better out of a cask.

Edit: 2 out of 4 of the cans did not have the acrid metallic taste. Adding 0.5 point to taste and 0.5 point to drinkability.

2.96/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a yellowish, pale golden color with a 1/2" head that lasted. Smelled of some spice and fruitiness, but overall not too much aroma at all. Taste was very smooth; a light fruitiness with a slight floral, hoppy bitterness at the finish. Definitely light-bodied. Subtle creaminess for mouthfeel but wish there was more. It's just kind of uneventful, and kind of watery. Thinner than I would have expected. Certainly drinkable though - nothing offensive but nothing too memorable either.

2.59/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Picked up a four pack of pub cans from the State Liquor Store in Vernal, UT about $7.

A: I love the look of a nitro-beer...cascading is cool. Ok. Down to business. Pale copper color with a dense cream nitro head, about two inches thick. Excellent retention. A few clumps of lacing, but nothing really to speak of. Tons of tiny bubbles cling to the inside of the glass.

S: I can't say I'm a big fan of the smells of this beer, a few pale malts, a little earthy hoppiness, and well, thats it. Almost nothing in the nose.

T: Honey, earthy flavors, and sadly...metal. I'm a huge proponent of cans in the beer industry, but this one is poorly done. Definite bitter bite to it, but its all just displaced by the metallic taste. This is rather sad, as I used to really enjoy this beer in my younger days.

M: Thick and creamy, not much else going on, nitro does that to beers, pretty dry. Kinda meh.

D: Not doin it for me anymore. The metallic taste is just a tad too much. I hate to say it but this beer has fallen out of good graces with me. Something is just not quite how I remember it. Sad. Day.

2.82/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I'll start by saying that try as it might, the nitro can is a poor substitute for the tap. But you knew that already, didn't you.

The beer pours yellowish white, with a thick creamy milky foam head that settles down into something very oridnary. Smell is slight malt, but otherwise not notable.

The taste is creamy. The malt is there, and the bittering stays throughout. The aftertaste can be a bit annoying, but overall a decent beer.

A lot of production value, but a plot that is very ordinary. Still, drinkable.

3.39/5  rDev +6.6%

I was recently on vacation and had about 10 of these (not all in one sitting). Each time it was poured from a pint can into a tall stemmed tulip glass. From my notes:

A= With a quick opening and pour, this ale was initially milky white and the head slowly rose up from the bottom of the glass to reveal a dark orange gold appearance. The snow white head was super thick, super creamy, and left huge amounts of lace down the glass.

S= Compared to the appearance, the smell was sort of bland. Just a mild malty base with a very very faint earthy hop twang.

T= Taste was just like the aroma - decent but fairly bland. Its not that there were any off flavors, it was just a very one dimensional beer. Having said that, the malts were chewy and sweet and the hops did add enough spice to balance the ale. A bit of a dry finish.

MF= Heavy side of medium bodied with a soft carbonation level. Very creamy and slick feel.

D= Though this was not a "challenging" beer in the flavor department, it sure is easy to drink a bunch of.

3.44/5  rDev +8.2%

I first tried this in the Bahamas about a decade ago, and thought it was the bee's knees (no pun intended). At $0.75 US a can, who could argue?

That said, since the years have gone by and my palate matured, Boddingtons has descended into the realm of the mediocre -- for me that is, nothing in particular about the brew has changed. It's a decent sessioner, and I'd take it over the American equivalent any day of the week, but still not something I'd actively seek out. Well, maybe a few for the sake of nostalgia.

A - Has the cool nitro-effect. No major faults.

S - Not overly complex. Not off putting, but I never found myself getting lost in the aromas.

T - Again, not overly complex, but not off putting. A refreshing beer.

M - Meh. A little watery.

D - Good drinkability. I could probably put down a fair number of these. Indeed, I'm fairly certain I have on more than one occasion.

Ff there was a "value" rating here on beer advocate, I'd give Boddington's a one. For the same price, I'm sure you can get much better stuff. Granted, I haven't priced out a case of it in a long time, but I'm sure it's up in the 40-50 dollar range.

At the end of the day, I'd say its at about the same level as Guinness, all things considered. I'd probably prefer Guinny if given the choice, but I could certainly see myself picking this up again in the future, if only for a wiff of the good ol' days.

3.61/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Boddington's Pub Ale is a classic english beer, first brewed in Manchester in 1778 and is sometimes known as the "Cream of Manchester". I spotted this brew in a rather thin selection of beer at my local Walmart of all places.

Appearance: The widget in the can creates a deep thick head that lasts as the beer settles. As the head floats to the top, a darker amber color emerges, and is one of the better looking beers I've had so far. Being a thicker beer, you get that great pour sound also.

Smell: The smell isn't as strong as bitter beers tend to be, and a wheat, malted smell comes to mind. I would consider this easy on the nose.

Taste: A rather easy beer to drink considering the creaminess of the beer, though I found it somewhat filling after the 3rd pint. Though the pour and look is similar to Guinness, the thickness is definitely not up to Guinness standards.

Mouthfeel: A creamy feel and goes down smooth. No bitterness here unless your chugging the brew. After taste is mild, but no different than the initial taste.

Drinkability: Easy to drink, and makes you want to drink more. Ate tortilla chips with is, the saltiness went well with the beer. You'll find it easy to have more than 2 or 3.

3.68/5  rDev +15.7%

With the little nitro pellet this offers a full sized thick white head that holds forever over a clear golden orange-brown color brew with hints of splotchy lacing. The aroma is grassy wheat malt, skunky but fairly polite. The flavor is smooth creamy malt with a somewhat tart edge of melon. Very nice body, lots of gentle carbonation. Easy drinking. A very decent choice with medium flavor appeal.

3.49/5  rDev +9.7%

This was one of the best looking beers I have ever had the pleasure of pouring. I cant describe adequatly enough but the foam cascades up and down and looks like wet sand as it settles out. You are left with two fingers worth of creamy white head.

I wasnt blown away by the smell, it smelled kind of leafy. I think the thick layer of nitro foam holds the smell back. There is really nothing there to push it up to your nose.

I tasted a sort of metallic paper machey like taste that I find in a lot of lager types. If im not mistaken, they definetly used some type of honey. And judging from the bees on the can I would say it is a sure bet.

This is like water, lighter then water. Strange how it has such a good head but it almost feels like there is no carbonation to it. Nothing too exciting here.

Drinkability is good. I think this is probably the Miller/Bud for Englanders. Although this definetly has more character then those two. It goes down super easy. Not much to contemplate as you drink. Something to slam as you watch futbol.

3.26/5  rDev +2.5%

A- pours a clear straw color with a huge frothy white head.

S- a mild tea like bitterness with a mild buttery malt.

T- The flavor leans towards the hop side. An earthy tea like bitterness. A slightly buttery malt lingers in the background. Overall a watered down flavor profile.

M- Light bodied but smooth and somewhat creamy.

D- Ok, this stuff is like English Pale Ale Light. It does go down very easy though.

3.51/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured from a nitro-can into a pint.

A: Golden. Medium carbonation pours into a cascading foamy body eventually topping off with a 1 finger, white foamy head. Head persists. Thick foamy lacing remains, but eventually recedes into the body of the brew.

S: A little malt and hops, but more of a sweet yeasty nose. A hint of citrus as well.

T: Lightly malted, lightly hopped, a little yeast.

M: Light and creamy body, carbonation is prominent. Aftertaste has a bit of a metallic feel.

D: Good drinkability. Light body, nice flavor.

Pretty decent atmosphere. Appearance typical with a nitro-can, and a pleasant, albeit subdued, nose. Decent flavor and light body. Pretty decent quaff.

2.76/5  rDev -13.2%

Poured a 440-ml can into a pint glass.

Appearance - golden ale with a creamy white, sustaining head.

Smell - the thick head seems to cut down on the aromas. From what is there I get some faint hops and grains.

Taste - pretty sweet flavour, and obviously little carbonation. More sweet than I would prefer. The aftertaste is better, when the sweetness acts to balance the rather flat maltiness.

Mouthfeel - there's just not quite enough fizz in this format to deliver the total satisfaction I'd look for from the flavour profile of this product.

Drinkability - not poor, but I'd spend my time and money on something else on most occasions.

2.96/5  rDev -6.9%

Smells faintly sweet and fruity. Not much going on. Taste is the same. Tastes are very faint but some very light sweet malt and a hint of fruitiness comes through. The taste reminds me of a very flat lager.

Tastes like a Guinness, though I think this is a notch above that. I'm not a huge fan of these pub ales.

3.63/5  rDev +14.2%

This is a very one dimensional beer, but it is one I can drink 6 pack of no problem. Boddingtons pours super smooth and creamy with 2 fingers of head. No complexity, but oh so smooth. A great beer if you're looking for a thirst quencher that's incredibly smooth, consistent in flavor and easy to drink, then Boddingtons is for you.

3.4/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this on-tap at Flip and Bailey's in Rosemont, PA where it came in a pint glass.
Appearance: The body is a clear golden color with a fizzy white, large head. There was good retention as well as a bit of pretty lacing on the sides of the glass.
Smell: The aroma is mostly sweet with bitter hops in as well.
Taste: The overwhelmingly dominate flavor is malted cigarettes. This wasn't as bad as it sounds, but it is what I tasted.
Mouthfeel: This is a very thick and smooth mouthfeel.
Drinkability: I thought this is a very quaff-able ale.
Don't drink and review.

2.77/5  rDev -12.9%

From a nitro-can, pour was very nice. Murky, hazy golden yellow body with a fantastic creamy white head. Excellent retention.

Aroma is... lacking, to say the least. A whiff of hops and grains, but mostly a weird metallic scent. None too appealing.

The taste is of grains, some hops, and a hint of light fruits (pears, maybe). The bad thing is, all of these traits are dominated by an "old" metallic taste mixed with wet bread. The first time I had this brew I thought it was just a bad can, but this aspect of the brew never fails to appear everytime I have it.

The mouthfeel is pretty good, despite everything. It's the epitome of creaminess, one of the more creamy brews I've had recently. Almost too creamy, though. Well carbonated, but very thin and watery. Decent.

The drinkability is middle of the road. It's good because of the creaminess and simplicity of the brew, but the weird metallic notes in the taste deter it from being a good session-er.

3.59/5  rDev +12.9%

Listen, I love Imperial Stouts and Dubbel Abbey ales as much as the average beer guy, but sometimes I want something light and simple.

This beer IS light and simple; full stop! It can be pounded for hours with little fuss, something that it seems to be designed for. This beer is THE SINGLE smoothest beer ever made. Eat your heart out, American macrolagers!

Something unique about this beer, something that I think many people would notice after I mention it, is that it somehow manages to be light yet heavy at the same time. The flavor is a light and overly sweet carmel, but the medium body seems to be MUCH heavier than what the flavor suggests, confusing my brain.

Presentation- Lovely bright yellow nitropint can.

Appearance- AMAZING and beautiful. When you pour it into a tall glass the beer cascades into tigerstripes leaving a TON of head comprised of miniscule bubbles. One of the most beautiful-looking beer experiences around. The beer color is a deep yellow.

Smell- When I open up the can I am slammed with "stale macrolager" stench, but then a straightforward carmel and oily hop smell plus a tiny amount of aluminum. Nothing special.

Taste- Similar to Red Stripe without the crispness. It's "carmel-y" then "mild bitter." Afterwards, there is a wee bit of metal that lingers around. Listen, you're not going to find anything special here.

Mouthfeel- heavyish for such a mild flavor.

Drinkability- Can pound them for hours.

In closing, this beer is not incredible, and It wasn't brewed to be. I still buy it often.

2.96/5  rDev -6.9%

well..after seeing this beer on the shelf alot and being turned off by the fact that it comes in the same can as guiness (i dont like guiness too much) i never bought it. after being told numerous times by a co worker that it is awesome...i decided to give it a try.

poured it into a pint glass but could have used a bigger one.

appearance was the best part of this beer. the nice effect from the nitro cap made it fun to watch while i poured. the head magically settled on top of the slightly cloudy bronze ale. it did ti pretty quickly too. the head was thick and cramy with generous tracing.

smell was of...well...musty, yeasty, bread. didnt notice any malt or hop aroma. might have been too cold.

taste was pretty much the same as the smell. very bready. i might be crazy but it reminded me of cream of mushroom soup a little. not very conventional i know. but...it did. haha. might have been the head and lack of carbonation.

mouth feel was creamy at first from the head and then watery beneath it. very little carbonation like a guiness. kind of weak tasting for an ale.

well...being that to me it tastes like flat beer with some froth on top...i didnt find it very drinkable. its just me. i like carbonation in my beer. at least more than whats in this one.

over all...worth the try but not my cup o tea.

3.83/5  rDev +20.4%

Boddingtons you get in America is different than the Boddingtons in the UK. The American version (this one) was the first one I tried, before moving to the UK last September. Ironically, the UK version is a "draught bitter," and yet is smoother, creamier and less bitter than the "pub ale" version.

Truth be told, I like both. Boddingtons was a sort of crossover beer for me and it has a special place in my heart, haha. But I do enjoy and would definitely get it again.

2.93/5  rDev -7.9%

P- Gilligans in Harrisburg.
from notes:

A- A hell of a frothy foamy head. Stays the whole time i drink the beer. Love the head! A dark yellow with pale gold color. nothing to fancy.

S- nothing to much of a smell. Some faint hints of fruity esters but mainly a metal or steel type of smell.

T- a vinegar malt type of taste with combinations of bitter hops and fruit.

M- watery and somewhat stainless steel. Somewhat smooth but not as crisp and fresh as one would like.

D- a nice beer to have as a change up but nothing purchase worthy.

3.39/5  rDev +6.6%

Sight: Immediately the cascade from the nitro pour is a joy to watch. It solidifies into a creamy white picturesque head. Underneath is a dark golden yellow beer with slight orange highlights.

Smell: Fruity esters are forward on the nose with a slight toasted malt background underneath. I smell a slight hint of pear or grape with a slight pleasant wood smell in the background. Also a touch of rising bread is hiding far behind other smells.

Taste: The fruity esters present in the smell come through in the flavor. I taste a slight banana and pear flavor with an extremely meek malt backbone. The beer finishes clean with only the minor bitterness of noble hops on your tongue.

Feel: This beer has an amazingly creamy feel presents from the nitro pour. Once this subsides it ends with a light body and thin finish.

Drinkability: Overall, I could see myself a pub sipping back quite a few of these. Especially if I had a plate of heavy or savory food in front of me. It's extremely thirst quenching but not the beer I would look for if you want bold flavors. It's definitely a light pub ale.

Overall Impression: I would buy this beer again at a pub or to have around on a hot summer day. It's a good quaff-er if you're not looking for something that will blow your pallet or be hard on your taste buds. It's not a complex beer, but satisfying and does the job a light pub ale should

Poured a golden yellow with a cascading carbonation that seems to fall down to the bottom of the glass, similar to Guiness. Creamy, frothy white head leaves a slight lacing around the glass. Nose is almost non-existent. Taste is corn and a slight malt presence. No hops detected.

1.68/5  rDev -47.2%

A - poured from the token black and yellow can a perfect head, as per usual, and has a lighter amber colour. not relevant to the style, however.

S - aromas...hmm. Well, I might say that I could blame smelling nothing on my sinuses, but I remedied that problem. I guess then I would say it has, if much of anything, a slight metallic ambiance from the can.

T - very smooth, the head is thick, and I have to agitate the beer in my mouth to effect a stronger bitterness from the hops.

MF - the lack of taste and carbonation leave me wanting to chug the whole glass, as I am thirsty. However, the wateriness is off putting to me, and should not be a characteristic of a beer of this sort, though, their tm 'smooth and creamy' does ring loud, but not to any good effect.

D - very drinkable as mentioned above, but again, too drinkable. It is very much chug-able like a similar nitro-can stout I know and disdain.

Boddingtons Pub Ale from Boddingtons