Boddingtons Pub Ale - Boddingtons

awful

Boddingtons visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-20-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Boddingtons Pub Ale Alström Bros
skillerified

1.98/5  rDev -37.9%

Brought to the table looking a little paler than most English Pales I've sampled, but not a bad color. A little orange and tan. Decent one finger head with equally decent retention.

Scent was weak. A slight favoring of malt, but little else.

Taste was also weak. Again, a slight malt flavor, but little else. Thoroughly lacking that mineral quality that I've come to expect of these hard water British beers. No complexity, no depth. Just a slight sweet malt.

Mouthfeel was particularly bad in my opinion. The body has only a slightly higher consistancy than water. Just not appealing at all.

Goes down easy doesn't necessarily taste bad, but there's nothing to make me want another either.

05-29-2006 20:21:29 | More by skillerified
Sosh

Indiana

2.48/5  rDev -22.3%

I really did not like this. It just seemed extremely watery. I dont' think this had any carbonation whatsoever. Maybe it was flat, who knows? But even if I got a bad brew I don't see how this would possibly be something I'd get time and time again. I could taste the hops towards the middle, but the beer got pretty nasty towards the bottom. I would never drink this again, unless it was free. I'm kind of upset I bought this.

05-09-2006 22:32:17 | More by Sosh
dbalsock

Vermont

3.18/5  rDev -0.3%

appearance: light amber with a sizeable white creamy head.

smell: i got a sense of fruit and flowers along with a slight malty aroma. Nothing spectacular.

taste: a little malty, a little lagery too it seemed, and a little fruity/hoppy... ok, and kinda nice, but nothing i'd go out of the way for.

mouthfeel: bitter and light bodied, this didn't do much for me.

drinkability: a little to bitter without the sweetness or taste to balance it out.

05-07-2006 08:02:48 | More by dbalsock
BigRedN

Nebraska

3.08/5  rDev -3.4%

Appearance: Poured from the 1 pint can into a standard pint glass. The beer is clear and golden in color. A thick white head, about 3/4 inch, forms on top of the beer. This head has staying power. Good lacing as the beer is consumed. A nice enough looking beer.

Smell: Hmmm, well, it doesn't really smell like anything. A "clean" smell if you will. I stick my nose so close to the beer i get foam up it, still I only get maybe a hint of malt (grainy, yeasty scent) and a hint of citrousy aroma. I'm a bit disappointed.

Taste: Not a significant improvement over the smell. The best I can say is "inoffensive". Slight malty, bready taste, a hint sweet, but only because there is absolutely no hop bitterness here.

Mouthfeel: As advertised on the can, this does have a smooth, creamy mouthfeel. The beer is somwhat watery though. I kind of expected something really carbonated, but there is minimal carbonation here. I do see some bubbles floating lazily in the beer, and some clinging to the glass.

Drinkability; Drinkable? Yes. Sessionable? Yes. Memorable? No. I purchased one can to try for $2. I'm not disappointed I gave this a shot, but I probably will not go out of my way to try this again.

05-04-2006 03:46:52 | More by BigRedN
dfried

3.13/5  rDev -1.9%

Boddingtons Pub Ale has a time and a place, unfortunatly that place in not at the top of a BAs list. The appearance of this beer is pretty cool, the nice cascading pour and the crisp golden color with a creamy white head. That is when the novelty wears off. Taste is of an ale thats pale, but not the other way around. Slight hoppy aroma and flavor but nothing that jumps out at you, a pale malt flavor that is more grainy and anything. It tastes sort of watered down. They have this at one of my favourite downtown bars on tap, Brits Pub, and I can drink the hell out of it down there when I am out for a night, but for someone trying to enjoy a beer at home, well, NEXT!

04-28-2006 19:45:53 | More by dfried
DogFood11

1.08/5  rDev -66.1%

Yikes...what is invading my favorite beer glass...ohh its a watered down boring english pale...ughhh..

Not sure why this style exists to be perfectly honest, The only thing that I enjoyed about the brew was the pour. Nitro widget makes this brew have a cascading effect and a super creamy tight head with tons of lacing. I've had bad success with this style, mainly because its rather tatsteless and what does come through is a faint leafy hop profile, and a semi skunked malt backer. Very bland, mouthfeel is medium bodied and creamy.

Notes: I'll pass on this one and I'll pass on "almost" every english pale.

04-25-2006 00:16:18 | More by DogFood11
nlmartin

2.25/5  rDev -29.5%

I purchased this beer at Jungle Jims. I got it out of there reduce bin for 1.75.The beer was served from the can into pub glass.

Appearance: The beer really looked good in the glass. The beer has a nice clear golden coloration. The head was huge and very creamy off white colored. Thick lacing remained behind on the glass.

Smell: The beer smelled a bit malty with a grainy sort of smell. Very subdued hops present in the beer.

Taste: The beer is nearly one dimensional. There is a underwhelming maltyness to the beer. This combines with a minimal hop prescence. Very small bitterness is present in this beer.

Mouthfeel: The beer has a very creamy texture. The taste is just to dam thin. The beer has a medium body.

Drinkability: This was frankly almost unbearable to drink as I had better choices in the fridge. Hopefully you have better choices than this beer. I will not purchase this again.

04-23-2006 12:56:08 | More by nlmartin
allergictomacros

Ontario (Canada)

3.55/5  rDev +11.3%

A - Clear copper with a smallish, but tight and creamy head (yes i poured very slowly).Takes a good time for the head to settle. Good staying power and lacing.

S - Citrusy hops and sweet malt. Slight toasted aromas.

T - Slight tartness up front with lemony notes. Lightly bitter finish and aftertaste.

M - Soft and creamy with a mild carbonation.

D - Easy to drink for sure, maybe a bit low in the flavour profile.

04-19-2006 00:44:49 | More by allergictomacros
jwc215

Wisconsin

3.58/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured golden cream-colored with a substantial head that lasted the entire drink. Like the other nitro-can ales, the beauty of the drink was in its appearance above all. It has a beautiful cascading effect.
There was not much of an aroma. Nothing bad, just hardly present. Maybe some very subtle malty hints.
The taste was not great, but not bad. Felt very smooth going down. Overall, the taste and mouthfeel were like a slightly fruity creaminess.
Despite its lack of substantial taste, it is really quite drinkable. Nothing offensive in either, just a creamy taste and feeling.

04-18-2006 20:15:08 | More by jwc215
jameaterblues

3.55/5  rDev +11.3%

I poured this from a nitro can....its not my typical choice, but I had one left and I thought I would review it.
A=Beautiful golden color, with a rich 1/2 cream colored head that leaves a nice thick lacing.
S= The smell is creamy, with hints of fruit/sweetness, and I think this might be a good beer to describe as biscuity(I guess that is like buttery and creamy)....I have never used that term before but I think it fits.
T=The taste is very creamy with a sweetness in the body and just the slightest hop bitterness towards the end. This beer really coats your tongue, but has a fairly clean finish...the taste lingers, but very clean.
M=this is a thick beer especially for its appearance. It does not appear to be heavy, but it is....I actually am enjoying this one much more than I have before.
D=this beer is really smooth, with low carbonation, I guess that is due to the nitro can/its style. I could not drink alot of it, but I know many people who can.

04-18-2006 18:40:30 | More by jameaterblues
SindriMar

Norway

4.03/5  rDev +26.3%

I thought this was a very nice ale. One of the best 'smooth' pale ales I've ever had. I ordered a pint at the pub and I was really glad to see the thick head that would last 'till the very last sip. It has a very smooth mouthfeel and it's really easy to drink. There wasn't much hop presence or bitterness at all, although I could sense a slight bitterness after a few sec. The sweet malt was very inviting, but probably not strong enough for experienced drinkers. A very good pub ale, though.

04-17-2006 22:47:14 | More by SindriMar
JayTheFinn

3.48/5  rDev +9.1%

This is a good, drinkable ale. It's so creamy and smooth (and perhaps watery) you almost don't notice it going down. Great foamy head. Good golden look. Smell and taste, well, not very strong. It's a great beer to start or finish with, cuz it'll either get you into the flow of things or cleanse your palate. It's kind of like a mouthwash if you will, which probably isn't the kindest description, but apt none the less.

04-17-2006 00:10:46 | More by JayTheFinn
jettjon

3.53/5  rDev +10.7%

Highs: Head
Lows: Nothing else stands out

Pours with a rock solid nitrogen fueled 2-fnger head of thick, creamy bone white foam that sticks around until long after the beer is done. Nice. Body is brownish-gold with no bubbles. Sweet malty nose with a hint of hops. Taste is of subdued malt, slightly bitter, and with a bit of coppery/metallic taste. Mouth is creamy and smooth and surprisingly watery given the fluffy head. Finishes with malt and a tad of bitter. Drinkability is good; it’s water and refreshing. A good session beer.

Overall: An average ale saved by mediocrity by virtue of its nitro head.

04-14-2006 02:17:34 | More by jettjon
monkeybutler

Vermont

3.8/5  rDev +19.1%

Appearance is golden with a massive nitro-head, excellent lacing and very little carbonation.

The smell is just slightly of hops and malt. Almost unnoticable.

The taste is slightly bitter with a bit of weak malt backbone.

Mouthfeel is characteristic of the creamy, smooth texture imparted by the nitrogen. Very quenching and satisfying.

Drinkability is all there. I could session this until Manchester went dry.

Definitely a good session beer. It's not very exciting, but it has a good flavor and there's nothing offensive about it.

04-06-2006 07:01:14 | More by monkeybutler
AltBock

1.73/5  rDev -45.8%

1 pint nitro can. The can itself is a bright yellow color with a black bottom. The word Boddingtons is in a horseshoe aorund their symbol, a barrel with gold rims and around those rims are honey bees. I guess their queen or honey is in that barrel, I don't know. The back of the can had some info about the brewery, info about the beer, info about their DraughtFlow system, correct serving temperature, and correct pouring procedure.

When I first popped the tab, it sounded like a snake hissing. HISSSS!! After I gained control of the flow, I poured it into my Brooklyn Brewery pint glass. The beer was this clear amber color with a massive head of white and creamy head of foam. The head of foam still remained during the duration of the beer. Every time it receded, it left plenty of lace in its tracks. Very Nice!

The aroma only had the slightest faint smell of bitter spicy hops and some fruit in the background. Not much going on in the aroma department!

The taste was EXTREMELY watery! That was the initial taste and after that there was only a slightest bit of flavor of just very little malt and very little hops. Sometimes it felt that I was drinking hops flavored water. It wasn't too awful, except for the fact there was nothing going on in the taste.

The mouthfeel is just what I guessed after the taste, very light and very watery. Granted there was a slight bitter aftertaste in there, but only very slight. It's not that noticeable.

Drinkability: Since there was little flavor in this, You can probably chug a couple down if you wanted to. Everything except for the appearance, was just bad. I won't spend another $2 for this beer again.

04-05-2006 19:12:03 | More by AltBock
sinstaineddemon

Connecticut

2.38/5  rDev -25.4%

A - weird, this poured with nearly 100% head, must've popped it a little too chilly, it formed two heads. One was on top and bright, creamy white, the other a darker tan color and the two rushed towards each other as the beer condensed

S - has a grassy aroma, kind of a musty aroma like a bottle of cold pure sprinf water

T - thinner than i expected, very flavorful and tasty with a light pleasant with a hoppy slightly bitter aftertaste

M - a bit watery, but smooth, not dry at all

D - easily downed, and very light

04-01-2006 05:00:53 | More by sinstaineddemon
yelterdow

3.58/5  rDev +12.2%

Served at just over fridge temperature in an English pint glass.

Appearance- Crystal clear medium gold. The trademark cascade holds me captive for a full minute, while the head settles to a firm half-inch cap. No action inside the glass, just lots of tiny bubbles clinging to the sides.

Smell- A buttery, bready base aroma is complemented by a soft, sweet hop character. Balanced with a subtle malt hint.

Taste- A mellow integration of bready, malty attributes with a quick finishing bitterness that keeps it simple. The middle is long and satisfying, with a slowly evolving display of flavor that seems to last and improve during the tasting. Even better as the beer comes to temperature.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Watery and slippery in the mouth, with no substantial weight at all. It's there, then it's gone... thankfully, the taste pardons the mouthfeel here. It's a great session beer, that can't be disputed... maybe I'll give this a try at the next poker game.

Now if someone would please show me how to play poker.

03-28-2006 22:45:47 | More by yelterdow
danielharper

2.83/5  rDev -11.3%

Purchased from Great Spirits, Huntsville, AL.

Pours a nice dark amber color with a very thick nitrous head into my pint glass. Leaves significant lacing. Looks like an amber Guinness -- nice form for presentation.

Aromatics are very, very faint -- almost not present at all. Upon several sips on the glass and whiffing generously with my nostrils mere millimeters from the top of the head, I can get very slight fruity tones that would be at home in an amber. Aroma is so faint here that it's practically undetectable.

Flavor is slightly bitter, slightly fruity. Hops not overwhelming, sweetness not cloying. Taste of citrus (mangoes?) and apples going down. Basically inoffensive.

Thin mouthfeel, easy to drink.

Overall this is pretty drinkable. It's not the best beer ever, but it seems to be a good sessioner and would probably make for an inoffensive beer to serve to someone only used to Bud and Miller. The nitro might be taking a lot of the flavor from the beer -- I'd be interested in trying it on-tap at some point.

03-28-2006 00:02:00 | More by danielharper
EStreet20

2.98/5  rDev -6.6%

Nitro tap pour into a shaker pint glass at the Banshee in Scranton, PA.

A - A very nice golden color with a good sized nitro induced white head that lasts through the whole drink and leaves a lot of lacing.

S - Not much here. Very faint sweet malt aromas with a tiny touch of floral hops.

T - A medium bodied beer with maild toasted malt flavors and a very tiny touch of floral hop characters. Still no big flavors jump out at all.

M - A Creamy feel in the mouth common with nitro pours. Goes down easy.

D - Not much to make me want more of this but for a person who wants to sit for a long session and not wear out their palate this c ould be ok.

03-26-2006 23:03:09 | More by EStreet20
deuschbag

3.53/5  rDev +10.7%

16 oz. can pored into a pint pint glass. this poures a deep golden color with a beautiful creamy white head and a good amount of lacing. the cascading affect is just wonderfull to watch.

nothing really much in the smell department. malty and a little herbal spice tone.

taste is kinda blah. lightly roasted malts and some earthly features and just a pinch of some floral hops. a little too watered down though.

the mouthfeel is really watery. very light bodied.

overall this is a nice kick back beer to have on a hot day. would be nice to have while doing yard work.

03-26-2006 04:04:49 | More by deuschbag
TurdFurgison

4.1/5  rDev +28.5%

Poured from a can with a widget into a pint glass. I've had this many times before, and it's always consistent. Creamy foam on top of pale golden liquid, it looks really tasty. It is too, very creamy and addictive.

Best widget beer I've tried. Recommended.

03-25-2006 13:31:08 | More by TurdFurgison
mclanem

4.13/5  rDev +29.5%

Appearance: looks good with a nice orange color, The carbonation goes down when you pour. just looks great.

Smell: A nice clean smell no to strong litely roasted malt

Taste: Light roasted malt, clean hop finish not to bitter, not that strong but very clean.

Mouthfeel: Not as thick as I expected it to be. good carbonation.

Drinkability: I like this beer it is very clean tating especially from a can I would love to try this on nitro tap.

03-19-2006 03:19:22 | More by mclanem
HoboAGoGo

Indiana

3.65/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured from the nitro can with a thin body and very thick, creamy head. The head was white and creamy as hell and the body was a shade lighter than the average pale ale, but still ambery and stuff. Smells like alkaline water, grain and light floral hops with an equal mix of bittering hops. The mouth is smooth, very light hops, light malt, just an all around good drinking beer. Very easy to drink, but not one I'm going to be looking out for in the future.

03-18-2006 05:23:48 | More by HoboAGoGo
arizcards

Arizona

3.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Picked up a can from Trader Joe's in late November for $1.63.

Nitro can poured a beautiful white head that is sustaining very well. Nose is of very faint graininess and not much else. Taste is of British water, grains, and finishes with a decent bittering hop. Mouthfeel is extremely creamy, top-notch, but a bit thin for the style. Drinkability is pretty good, definitely a session beer that is creamy smooth. Worth a try but not one i would go out of my way for.

03-12-2006 23:43:35 | More by arizcards
AlexJ

3.3/5  rDev +3.4%

Initially creamy, frothed vanilla blonde pour with a cascading cream colored head that settles as a dense hood, lacing extensively.

Aroma is mild and sweet. Golden malts, treacle, corn flakes, and light floral hops.

Flavor is creamy honeyish malts, buttery biscuits, light minerality, and earthy and floral hops in the finish. Not bad, but very simple.

Body is below medium, with a very creamy mouthfeel from the nitro pour, and a somewhat thin texture with medium drinkability.

03-10-2006 04:27:20 | More by AlexJ