Boddingtons Pub Ale - Boddingtons

awful

Boddingtons visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-20-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Boddingtons Pub Ale Alström Bros
Bael

Louisiana

3.95/5  rDev +23.8%

I tried this out of the can. Light colored. Very thick head but it disapates well. Nice creamy, malty, roasted flavor. Like the aftertaste. Maybe even a dry flavor. Very smooth on the carbonation. Not my favorite, but a good casual beer that would go well with food or without.

01-01-2006 07:37:44 | More by Bael
CAMRAhardliner

3.93/5  rDev +23.2%

Pours a clear gold color with some amber darkness. The head is an ivory pancake like most nitro beers. Lacing consists of dense ridges. The aroma has lots of aromatic Goldings hops as well as a sufficient bready malt. The taste is dominated by a dry yeast flavor, somewhat buttery, maybe more butterscotch. Malt is bready and the hops are well represented and very herbal whith some tea-like qualities. Theres a sweetness in the middle and the finish is quite dry. The mouthfeel is full of nitrogen creamyness which is OK but kind of artificial to me.

This is one of my old favorites. Apparently its a very weak version if the original but its still tastey, among the best of nitro can beers.

12-30-2005 19:40:28 | More by CAMRAhardliner
aforbes10

Iowa

3.63/5  rDev +13.8%

Fantastically smooth, creamy pub ale. Pours thick with a nice big head that lasts and lasts. This a lick-foam-off-your-lip-and-grin type of beer. Smell has a hint of honey and steel. mouthfeel is incredibly smooth like melted ice cream. Tastes fine, with hints of malt, milk, nuts. The hops in here are evident and maybe a bit overdone. i want my pub ales to be creamy and smooth, not really hoppy at all. i can take this or leave it from the can, but i hear its better on draft.

12-21-2005 21:31:20 | More by aforbes10
Viggo

3.23/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours a clear yellow, thick big creamy white head forms, laces well and sticks around. Smell is honey, vanilla, citrus and dirty socks. Taste is honey and vanilla, little bit of citrus and floral. Mouthfeel is light bodied, with low carbonation. Not too bad, better fresh.

12-15-2005 18:09:31 | More by Viggo
BassBone

3.05/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured on-tap at Brit's pub in Pasadena, CA, a pub owned by a Liverpudlian ex-pat. This beer poured beautifully with a nice thick head and decent lacing. The color was mainly yellow and there was mild carbonation. The smell was much like an american macro-lager with a bit more malt: somewhat of chemicals. The taste was not as good as some other bitters I've had, but it wasn't awful either. Not too complex. It had a very clean and refreshing mouthfeel but the aftertaste ruined it for me. I used to enjoy this beer greatly, now I find it a nice beer once in a while when I am in the mood for it, but not something I would drink regularly.

12-09-2005 08:36:55 | More by BassBone
jasonpeckins32

3.18/5  rDev -0.3%

I'm not much of a fan of nitro-beer. I think this may be the first one I've ever reviewed. It pours a golden color with a bodacious foamy head. The white foam across the top almost has the consistency of pudding. The smell is pretty faint and boring. The taste is decent, sweet malts, and a fruity hop taste here and there. I just dislike the mouthfeel on these nitros. Too thin and watery. Always seems to remind me of an old beer that was opened, put back in the fridge, and then resorted to several days later. Not a bad beer otherwise, I'd like to try it on-tap, or atleast in a different serving type.

12-01-2005 04:14:36 | More by jasonpeckins32
Finite

Australia

2.9/5  rDev -9.1%

Unfortunately for this brew it was the predecessor of my first Duvel. However it didn’t let me down. All of the English pale ales I have tried have been on the fruity side of the spectrum and after reading what range is capable for this brew I hopped this one would change my expectations. I wasn’t let down. I can’t bring myself to give this beer anything less that a great score for appearance. The head was simply the smoothest milkiest, whitest head I have ever seen. If the lacing was better I would be perfect. The head is like nothing I have seen the special draughtflow can must do the trick because the head on this is so thick and smooth.

The taste is not much to write home about however. The taste was ok and very buttery with smooth malts and hints of sweetness, but nothing really notable. It was quite a bland mix, but something you must buy if only to admire the beauty of these nitro heads.

11-29-2005 10:58:56 | More by Finite
redteg02

2.63/5  rDev -17.6%

let me start by saying, i am not a pale ale fan to start with.

Appearance: very slightly reddish yellow. pours with a heavy thick head, which i should add now to watch out when opening the can, head subsides to a nice covering and continues to cling to the glass all the way down.

Smell: very bland and lifeless, it barly even smells like beer.

Taste: again very simple and lackng in my opinion. dont get it wrong it is a smooth creamy beer, but that is it.

not something that i would drink on a regular basis, or ever again. just not my glass of beer i guess.

11-29-2005 01:34:01 | More by redteg02
eze153

I have known Bodingtons for over a year but this is the first time I am reviewing it. I love the initial pour of the beer as it settles, the color and the sight of the beer setteling is a sight to behold, as well as the creamy head it leaves behind. I really enjoy the fact that the head stays throughout the entire beer, even at the very end there is still a head in which to enjoy the beer. Although, the smell is a bit wheaty, and I find, that there is not too much to the smell. The taste is very good, coupled with the incredibly smooth mouthfeel, this is pure pleasure to the tastebuds. I do enjoy this beer, but I usually like to eat something along with it, (eg: a meal, Chips or Penuts) otherwise towards the end of the beer a bad aftertaste develops and needs to be neutralized with a different taste. Overall this is a really good beer and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking to try something new.

11-24-2005 17:10:23 | More by eze153
HugoGrim

3.25/5  rDev +1.9%

A great look to this brew. Poured from a nitro can into a pint glass, it had snow all the way to the bottom of the glass. When settled it left a beautiful two finger head which dissipated only slightly and remained until the very end. The body is a nice golden yellow/orange.

Not a lot to speak of in the scent department, a bit hoppy and slightly sweet smelling.

The flavor was, as the can proclaims "smooth and creamy". It could have been fuller, however it was quite complex. Started bitter, became a bit sweet, and then finished bitter.

11-10-2005 01:47:36 | More by HugoGrim
goochpunch

2.7/5  rDev -15.4%

Poured from a nitro can, so of course this thing is a beauty. Pale orange w/ a resilient head. Not much in the nose, really. Some faint pale malts and not much else. I had the same problem w/ the taste. Creamy, smooth mouthfeel, although quite a bit watery for my taste. Yeah, I guess I could go for another if it was handed to me.

Luckily I got a single of this at a dollar rack somewhere. Very glad I never shelled out the $8-$9 for a 4 pack of pints.

11-04-2005 04:51:39 | More by goochpunch
Zoh

New Hampshire

3.68/5  rDev +15.4%

One of the prettiest beers I have ever poured. Has a cascade like Guinness, a thick head that never leaves and coats the glass as you down it. Color changes from a deep yellow to a lighter gold as the cascade settles itself into the head.
The smell is not quite as impressive, mostly hops with a little citrus and grain aroma.
Taste is great, rich, slightly bitter, a little sweet honey, and a hint of fruit. Very well balanced hops. Aftertaste is not great but I can deal with it for a beer this good.
Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth, I think the nitro can gives it the creamy feel but it is worth it. A little on the low side of carbonation and gets flat toward the end of the glass.
This is one that I have been drinking for years and continually pick up when I find a place that sells the four pack of pint cans. Even better when you can find it on tap.

11-02-2005 16:00:56 | More by Zoh
grindcore666

4.15/5  rDev +30.1%

Fortunately this one is available all over the place on tap. The appearance of this one is so unique and awesome. It fizzes off 3 shaded with dark yellow, pale yellow, and the most enduring white head you've ever seen. Can't be beat. Banana in the nose and the flavor with English bitterness. I get a glass of this one 90% of the time I find it.

10-30-2005 22:41:21 | More by grindcore666
HardTarget

3.85/5  rDev +20.7%

Bottle Inspection: Nitro Can, silhouette of a mug suggests serving glass, but no abv, date, etc.

Aroma: Mild yeast and metallic hop notes mixed with some malt. Not bad, but not inspiring.

Appearance: Great looking beer! Pour was all white foam, but it lifted like a morning mist to reveal a brass amber glass topped with a crème Brule compact, almost Styrofoam looking head that is rather impressive. It doesn’t look like it will ever die and coats my mug with thick foam with ridged tidemarks. It even holds my lip print from my first taste. Has to be the most impressive head I’ve ever seen.

Flavor: It just says “England”. I guess it’s the English hops, but it is really distinctive. Balance definitely goes to the hops, but it seems to be all taste, little bitter present. There is just the slightest fruit note at the finish, almost a banana taste.

Mouthfeel: Massively creamy texture. Ok, it’s a nitro can effect, but man it works. Low carbonation, but it’s very appropriate. It’s like “budder”. Does get a bit flat toward the end of the glass.

Overall Impression: A very enjoyable beer. It just screams session. I’m going to have to pick some up just for football games. Flavor is unique and mild, looks just outstanding, about the only dings are aroma and the mouthfeel gets a bit flat toward end, but I wouldn’t change a thing. Obvious why it’s lasted since 1778, they’ll be drinking this in 2078 and beyond. Classic beer!

10-21-2005 01:29:42 | More by HardTarget
xduderx

Tennessee

2.93/5  rDev -8.2%

I had high hopes for this beer and maybe after a few more I'll like it, but my first experience left me wondering why so many people like this stuff.

the appearance is a caramel/honey color with a nice white head. the smell is very slight with an almost sweet odor. the taste is a mixture of sweet and bitter with a nasty almost chemical-like aftertaste. the mouthfeel is medium-bodied with a slightly creamy texture. this beer is not all that great of a drinker IMO.

10-12-2005 17:09:37 | More by xduderx
maccroz

Cambodia

3.93/5  rDev +23.2%

Oh what an intoxicating ale Boddingtons is, and by so much more than the alcohol that it delivers.

I consider drinking a pint of Boddingtons to be a noteworthy experience satisfying all of the senses. It's the only beer I've found that is more entertaining to watch settle than Guinness. It has the same nitrogen bubble rush, but rather than be a black-hole devoid of any light as Guinness is, while settling you can watch a boddington's ale change not only color, but pattern & texture as well.

After settling, its like a light golden version of Guinness. The same thick white creamy head. It looks as if someone took the head off of a Guinness and placed it on top of a JW Dundee Honey Brown.

As far as smell goes, it's nothing hugely exciting with a clean grainy aroma.

The taste is very smooth and drinkable leaving a sweet caramel/pecan taste on your tongue.

The mouthfeel is what gets me. Like a good friend of mine says "It's like drinkin' butta!" The nitrogen bubbles make this light ale feel like sucking down whipped cream or butter. It's truly a sensory experience.

This is quite possibly the only beer that I'll give rave reviews about because of mouthfeel and apperance instead of taste & smell. Everyone should try Boddingtons at least a few times in their life, it's a treat.

10-11-2005 03:50:00 | More by maccroz
jayc333

3.85/5  rDev +20.7%

Pours a nice orangy-yellow with a finger of white head. The head stays there the whole time. No signs of carbonation present.

Sweet malts balance with somewhat citrusy hops for the smell

Wow, nice flavour. Sweet honey becomes present, and is beautifully balanced with the malt and hops.

Incredibly smooth mouthfeel. How could something that feels as thick as this on the palate be this smooth? Hardly any carbonation present.

I was pleasantly surprised with this beer. For some reason I was expecting something less. I think I'll go grab another...

10-01-2005 02:49:52 | More by jayc333
Naerhu

Japan

4.4/5  rDev +37.9%

A - Pure white head on a clear orange body (no visible carbonation)
S - Nice apple and malt aroma.
T - Light long lasting maltyness. Nice light bitterness, esp. on the finish. Ever so slightly sweet and fruity, still find apples.
M - Extremely light carbonation. I generally do not like nitro in my beer, but when done this light, I kinda liked it.
D - This is my kind of light beer!!!!

09-28-2005 00:40:50 | More by Naerhu
Bonhoeffer

Alabama

3.83/5  rDev +20.1%

I believe this is more properly classified as an English Bitter, but the two styles are so similar i doubt most of us could distinguish classic examples of each in a blind tasting.

The overall score of this one on BA seems a bit low. This is no outstanding beer, but it should definitely be recommended as an example of a classic English session beer. I'd have no problem drinking several pints of this in some small English pub whilst discussing the meaning of life with some mates.

I think this serves as an excellent example of a pretty subtle ale that is easily distinguished from a subtle lager by the fruity esters. You can really taste the "fruits" of the ale yeast and the warmer fermentation, highlighted by classic English hops. The epitome of a creamy head.

This one deserves respect.

09-26-2005 14:54:12 | More by Bonhoeffer
bubrewer

3.78/5  rDev +18.5%

Nitro cans are quite an adventure - make sure you have your glass ready when cracking one open. The widget - a cylinder glued to the inside bottom of the can in this case - really does its job as long as you start pouring right away.

The cascade of foam is impressive and leaves a silky white head when it is done with its game. Lace is left thickly down the inside of the glass from the top to the bottom. The beer itself is quite flat when the cascade is over. I realize an English pub ale is not supposed to be as sparkly as an industrial lager, but I do like slightly more condition remaining than I found in this glass. Color is light copper and brilliantly clear.

Aroma is fruit and caramel, but muted by, I think, the nitrogen. Caramel sweetness is backed up by a firm bitterness. Not crisp like a pilsner, but certainly more than a bitter.

The caramel sweetness and bitterness balance nicely and invite another pint.

09-22-2005 01:37:15 | More by bubrewer
kbub6f

3.58/5  rDev +12.2%

Short, dense, creamy, white nitro head. Milky gold/orange cascade settles to a clear, clear orange-gold beer. Nose is fairly faint, with fruity bananas shouldered out some by that creamy nitro ink. More nitro ink in front, some cream and fruit. Creamy thick through the middle, with pronounced apples. Finish is somewhat bitter with sourish apples. The nitro obscures what are probably some nice, fruity, malty tastes. Still, enjoyable and chock full of nice memories for me.

09-09-2005 20:48:48 | More by kbub6f
DaveFL1976

3.6/5  rDev +12.9%

Boddington’s Pub Ale
Duke of Kent Hotel – Latrobe St, Melbourne – September 07 2005
Boddington’s pours like a classic English ale with a beautiful cascade that ends in a thick white head. The beer itself ultimately settles down into a light amber colour with few bubbles. The taste starts with a bit of sweetness and then the trademark British bitterness comes across the back of the tongue. Mouthfeel is silky, and one sip begs another. Definitely a good beer, and when it’s on its best character on tap, it’s an absolute winner. I have tried the nitro can, however, and was much less than impressed.
Appearance: 4.5
Smell: 3.0
Taste: 3.5
Mouthfeel: 4.0
Drinkability: 4.0

09-07-2005 22:04:26 | More by DaveFL1976
funkengruven

4.13/5  rDev +29.5%

This is a very nice and smooth pub ale that goes down wonderfuly after a long day at work. It Pours into a glass somewhat resembling a pint of Caffereys or Kilkenny but slightly lighter in color, certainly nice to look at. Smell is nothing special, but it does taste quite good, slightly bitter with a delicate caramel-esque aftertaste. Mouthfeel is interesting, the foam is very thick and creamy and that makes for an interesting feeling in the mouth. This beer is very very drinkable, nothing offensive in this beer at all and i would definitely reccomend this one.

09-04-2005 08:04:21 | More by funkengruven
Troyone

3.65/5  rDev +14.4%

Has an apple juice (beer piss) color, appears to not have any carb action, and the "draughtflow system" employs a recylable device that gives the beer a huge white instant creamy head that lingers through out the session with some moderate lacing. The beer is difficult to open without foaming over and the device can be identified after the can is emptied and shook.

Has a moderate caramel malt smell with some pine or citrus hops.

Lightly sweet, acidic, and bitter caramel malt taste and the creamy head almost gives it a hint of soap. Slightly lemon, lime, and spruce hoppy flavor.

Light bodied, dry and creamy texture, flat carbonation, and a smooth slightly soapy finish.

If I'm at bar with only macro stuff or lame micro options sometimes I'll get this on nitro (tap) which is better than the can. This is one of the few beers I do not mind drinking, on nitro (tap), cold.

09-03-2005 09:13:18 | More by Troyone
scruffwhor

2.28/5  rDev -28.5%

I've always wanted to try this beer since i see it at my local meijer grocery store as well as the high class liqour store i got to. The head was awesome, to put it in very un-eloquent terms, but the flavor did not back up the apperance of the beer. The smell reminded me of cream soda. But the flavor of the beer didn't back up the smell. The beer tasted as if it were flat but the head proved otherwise. My rocomendation, do not try this beer unless you like flat tasting beer.

08-28-2005 00:45:59 | More by scruffwhor