Boddingtons Pub Ale - Boddingtons

Boddingtons visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-20-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Boddingtons Pub Ale Alström Bros
4.45/5  rDev +39.9%

This beer is one that everyone should have. You can quaff this one all night as its flavor is not going to be overpowering nor will the alcohol content kick you in the ass. This is one for drinking with a ton of friends at the local dive bar when all you want to do is have hearty fun and conversation. Better on tap, so if you can find a place that serves it, go there, and knock on the gates to Heaven.

3.56/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours a dark yellow with a very creamy head. Looks like a yellow Guinness. Good amount of lacing on the glass. Smell is a little grainy, a bit non-descript. Taste is incredibly smooth and dry, which makes for a very pleasant mouthfeel. Easy to see why this would be a great session beer as it is incredibyl easy to drink.

2.67/5  rDev -16%

A 16oz can from Bradley's Fine Spirits in Tustin, on to the beer:

You can expect to get a thick, creamy head, the cascading effect, and darker yellowish body. Smell is a little weird; metallic, grainy, and a light esters. To my surprise, this was not very tasty. It fact, it reminded me of a creamy, nitro-infused Budweiser. I think the creamy head had more taste than the beer itself. The very smooth mouthfeel is forgiving and keeps my interest. Although the beer is a bit boring, I could actually see myself having one of these from time to time; it's quite sessionable.

3.3/5  rDev +3.8%

I'll admit that I really wanted to get this beer to check out the nitro-can. It poured a light brown with golden highlights and a nice creamy foamy two finger head. The smell is nice and malty with with a little bit of floral hoppiness. The taste is a little more watery than I expected, with a nice little bit of sweetness with a little bit of maltiness and a slight touch of hops bitterness. The mouthfeel was really nice and creamy while the head was in full effect and a little bit thin after the head dissipates. I'd consider this beer extremely drinkable and I could imagine sitting a pub and knocking back quite a few of these, but I probably won't get it again just for the taste.

3.53/5  rDev +11%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice ale that can best be discribed as a blone looking Guiness.(although it doesn't taste like one)...
taste and smell-barley malt with a light hops
mouthfeel...with head creamy...once head starts to dissapate...thinner..
drinkablility...not bad..nice food beer...
overall a good ale....not very heavy, but with a enjoyable flavor.
since nitrotap...not a whole lot of acidic taste...

4.2/5  rDev +32.1%

Beer bottle (50 cl), tasted in 2000.
Appearance: beer honey colored gold.
Smell: Aromas of grapefruit
Taste and mouthfeel: soft at first, which gradually leads bitterness. Everything happens in the backyard taste: floral
Drinkability: good English ale style pale ale

Review added 10-28-2007, translated from french 1-26-2008.

4.18/5  rDev +31.4%

I found this to be a very nice beer. It was purchased in a can and it contained one of those nitrogen balls that when busted is supposed to release nitrogen into the drink and cause a nice head to form. I found it to work rather nicely and the head was beautiful. Overall, the appearance, smell, taste, mouthfeel, and drinkability was exceptional. This is something I could drink regularly.

3.32/5  rDev +4.4%

I had this for the first time on tap, but since then I've only been able to find it in the Nitro-can. Here's the nitro-can review.

Appearance: Poored into my new English Pub glass. Outstanding 3/4 inch head that seems to linger till the end. Nice golden color.

Smell: Light hoppy smell. I do get a small hint of an unappealing sulfurous aroma.

Taste: Mildy bitter w/ a light malt taste. Not a big hoppy brew, but there is some hoppy presence. Not terribly exciting overall, but to me that isn't the goal of this brew.

Mouthfeel: Very enjoyable. Creamy, slightly chewy and overall light. Has some similarity to a dry stout.

Drinkability: Not the most exciting beer I've had, but I really enjoy this one as a session beer. It is quite easy to drink several of these and w/ a low ABV overall, it doesn't hurt too much in the morning.

4.1/5  rDev +28.9%

I've had Boddingtons both out of a nitro-can and nitro-keg, and I've enjoyed it both times. The beer pours with a beautiful swirling cascade that slowly builds to a solid, pale-gold brew on the bottom of the glass and a thick, creamy head on the top.

The aroma has some hop florals to it and a bit of malt as well. It's rather light all-around. The taste has an immediate medium hop and malt flavor that has the characteristic nitrogen sheet to it. It's not too weak, but not too strong either in any of its taste departments. The mouthfeel is a light nitrogenation with a medium/thick creamy taste that is very smooth and enjoyable.

This beer is an all around great draught that can be quaffed by the pint in a good pub or at home. In many other beers I would consider the nitro aspect to be a negative factor, but the easy drinkability of Boddingtons captures the essence of a lighter pub draught in my mind. If I want a good bitter or pale ale, I'll get one. If I want an easy drink that quenches the thirst and palate, I'll order a Boddingtons.

3.87/5  rDev +21.7%

This beer had a nice look to it, a nice dark golden hue that allowed the light to shine through it. Very nice scent, very unique. I could not place many of the scents, and each time I took a sniff there was a nice swirl of new scents. Very unique taste, too. A nice balance, seemed slightly more malty to me than bitter. Again, like the smell, each taste had subtle changes from the previous one. Goes down very smooth. This is going to be a nice addition to my list of "usuals" to have on hand.

2.91/5  rDev -8.5%

Had this on tap. Nice-looking golden color with a very creamy and sticky head.

Very light smell. Not repulsive, but hardly anything worth noting.

Smooth and malty, with very mild hops. Salty aftertaste is a bit of a turnoff and makes me reluctant to take another sip.

This was one of my "transition" beers that opened me up to the non-mainstream world. For that I am grateful to it. However, because it opened me up to this world, I now know that there are far superior beers to be had.

2.79/5  rDev -12.3%

This beer I have had at least 40 times before. This is one of the original beers in the 80's that took me "out" of drinking MGD.

Pours a perfect golden color. The head is one inch and so so creamy white! Looks good.

Smells grainy, spicy and sweet.

Taste of honey and grain.

Mouthfull is thick and chewey to me and creamy at the same time. . Very little carbonation. Kind of a stale bitter aftertaste.

This beer is a step up from drinking Miller, Bud, ect. Not a great beer. But the can always looks cool. An old classic of mine for many many years.

2.59/5  rDev -18.6%

1 pt can from Albertsons. Poured copper-gold color with a foamy-creamy head. There was virtually no aroma, just an odd sort of metallic scent. Flavor was mild with malts, nuts, pears, and hops. Mouthfeel was light but creamy. (Clearly the palate is this beers appeal.) The finish was short, clean and just a bit biter. Overall this is a quite session-able biter, but it lacks pizazz.

2.23/5  rDev -29.9%

Pours a golden yellow with a cascading carbonation/nitrogenation that seems to fall down to the bottom of the glass, similar to Guiness. Creamy, frothy white head leaves a slight lacing around the glass. Aroma is almost non-existent. Taste is corn and a slight malt presence. No hops detected. Mouthfeel is thick and creamy, similar to Guiness, but unlike Guiness the taste is rather lacking. Overall, this is simply an average beer. I will not be wasting my money on this beer again.

2.91/5  rDev -8.5%

16 ounce can bought from Vons in Pacific Beach, part of a 4 pack shared with friends

Always a great choice for St. Patrick's Day or at a visit to an Irish Pub eben though it is from

Poured into a pint glass with a light brownish color and a 1/2 inch super silky vanilla head, looks a lot like Guinness, but tastes much better

Smell was a little weak, a tiny bit of chocolate and coffee evident

Taste was dry and smooth with a tiny bit of sweetness

Definitely not a pale ale like this says, much darker

Super heavy beer, a meal in a can, but the ABV is not that high

2.81/5  rDev -11.6%

Pours 90% frothy creamy head, appears in three layers briefly, then settles into a clear, transluscent auburn ale with a two finger creamy-white head. No observable carbonation which makes me wonder what's holding up that generous head that hangs on with foamy lacing. No discernable smell. Creamy appearance continues. There is a nectar-like silky smooth mouthfeel with a feint sweet taste, a hint of hops but not a lot by any stretch. There is just enough bitter to carry it and you're left with a mild, non-offensive aftertaste. This is a good one to spring on your macro-beer friends but doesn't offer much for anyone who really likes English Ales.

2.88/5  rDev -9.4%

Poured a clear copper color with a frothy, well-retained, off-white head. Nose was hops and fruit with some caramel. Flavor was light on malt with a bit of lingering caramel sweetness. Had a touch of acidity and hop flavor up-front. Not bad, but not particularly good, either. Seemed to be lacking the traditional British character you'd expect in a pub ale--too clean. Mouthfeel was nice and creamy, and the drinkability is okay. Not something I'd want to drink a lot of, but I suppose you could.

Overall, I'd say it's an average beer. With all the outstanding British ales available, there's not much to particularly recommend this one.

2.04/5  rDev -35.8%

I poured a pint from a nitro-can into a challis.

A: This is a very, very light straw yellow with a pure white head. The head lingered deep into the experience and reminded me of whipped cream.

S: Hardly any aroma was discernable. There was a whiff of alcohol and otherwise the only order was of yeast.

T: Bland. Nothing spectacular or even notable. There is a hint of malt and a bitter aftertaste that fades quickly after each swallow.

M: Silky smooth with a bit of bitter edge that leaves a sour residual in my mouth.

D: I had a difficult time finishing even half a pint. I could drink this beer all night long…but why do it.

Comment: Another unremarkable product from our friends across the pond. Despite my love of ales I guess when consuming products from the empire the sun never set on I will stick with fish and chips.

2.79/5  rDev -12.3%

This beer pours a clear spun gold color. The head is small, but creamy and lasts until the beer is gone. The aroma is of citrus, but is covered up by so much by the nitro that it is almost none decectable. The taste is only slightly more pronounced than the aroma. It is of citrus with a hint of pine, and a mild finishing bitterness. The mouthfeel is light bodied even though the nitro tries to cover it up. Overall, this is a disappointment. I will not drink this again.

3.76/5  rDev +18.2%

This brew is golden orange and has a nice creamy white head. I couldn't smell much of anything, but it has a nice taste to it, malty with a hint of banana. The mouthfeel is a bit creamy, but also a bit watery, I need something more. It goes down very smooth...it would be very easy to have more than one.

3.85/5  rDev +21.1%

Went to the "local" "convenience" store and saddle shop and was pleased to see an old friend there, Boddingtons Pub Ale. It's been a while.

Creamy white head stays proudly atop a very still light orange beer.

Nose is a simple doughy creamy note with a distant floral hop whisper.

Taste is a (banana cream pie?) light malt swetness that flows into soft tea like hop notes and finally a dry slightly salty lightly bitter finish.

Still, a very nice, light bodied, refreshing, simple beer. It really takes talent to make something like this, but it could be better. I still like it.

3.22/5  rDev +1.3%

Golden orange with a dense creamy head from the nitro pour. Love watching it settle.

Very faint smell with some mild fruity ale esters.

Up front it is fruity, predominatley apple skin and a bit of banana which transitions into a floral hop finish without much bitterness. Slightly metallic in the finish as well.

Smooth a creamy from the nitrogen pour.

Simple beer that goes down easy. Could have a couple of these on a hot day.

Appearance: Pours clear yellow, with a gorgeous 1 1/2 - 2 finger head. Copious lacing throughout.This is what I think of when I think of the the perfect looking beer.

Smell: Unfortunately there is barely any aroma, except maybe some light fruit/honey. This is my main beef with this beer.

Taste: This is easily one of the best tasting beer I've ever had, my favorite for sure. A slight banana/fruity flavor, with honey and slight hop bitterness. Glorious.

Mouthfeel: More watery then I would like, but still not too thin.

Drinkability: This is the easiest drinking brew I've ever had the pleasure of tasting. A great session beer no doubt. Do not hesitate to try this beer.

3.18/5  rDev 0%

Pours dark yellow from the can into a glass. A nice head which leaves some lacing on the glass. Pleasant aroma, some hop scents and a bit of grainy malt, but nothing to write home about. Some sweet malt in the flavor with some very mild fruitiness and a bit of hop bitterness in the finish. Again, nothing to write home about. Creamy mouthfeel thanks to the nitro cartridge in the can. Nothing really objectionable about this beer, just nothing too exciting either. This could make a decent session beer, but there are lots of ales out there with more interesting flavors.

3.84/5  rDev +20.8%

As i pour this nitro can i know what i will get...a great creamy head. About 5/8 iches thick that lasts the whole pint. It gives a light golden amber color. In the mouth it leaves a beautifull smooth malt that lingers ever so slowly into a residual hoppy dryness(but not too dry) ,which is fantastic for an english beer. Some northern english beers are kind of watered down,but not this one. I enjoy this brew on warm summer days and cool fall nights.

check out debautchery at my space music in central IL

Sorry for the shameless plug

Boddingtons Pub Ale from Boddingtons