Boddingtons Pub Ale - Boddingtons

awful

Boddingtons visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-20-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Boddingtons Pub Ale Alström Bros
3.4/5  rDev +6.9%

Picked up a nicely chilled 4 pack. Popped the top and got a great surge that I poured into a goblet. What a cool 2 stage head! Creamy white top, off white center and cloudy golden ale on the bottom. Very creamy head. Ale smells hoppy. The head sticks strongly to the side of the goblet. Taste is smooth and creamy, great carbonation. The sweet flavor shoots right down the center of the mouth and the finish is strong but reserved. This is a very creamy and tasty ale. I have tanked down quite a few of these ales in the past but now I am finally reviewing. I recommend. Need to try it topping a nice thick stout.

3.43/5  rDev +7.9%

appearance: nice pale golden hue. pours like a guiness in terms of head cascade.

smell: booze and sweets. not giving away the obvious ingredients of hops and malts.

taste: malts and hops become a bit more apparent. nice sweet clean finish.

mouthfeel: medium/light in body. light in carbonation. dry and refreshing.

drinkability: well i must say i have found a new session beer. this could be drank by the case.

3.15/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours out a foamed up nitro concotion that loses its carbonated look quickly. Turns to a gold\amber clear brew with a 1 finger head. Has a yeast type smell to it not much else.Very neutral tasting,slightly sweet,kinda watery but in reality not too bad,,a summery beer. Mouthfeel ,,there is none drinkability is pretty good i could have a few of these.

3.8/5  rDev +19.5%

1 pint nitro can “widget” with code 06:03 L5 256MK into a nonic pint glass

A---pours honey colored with thick bubbles that cascade up from the bottom to form a ¾ inch extremely creamy white head. Not much for lacing, but at least ¼ inch of the head was left by the time I finished the beer.

S—mild alcohol scent…smells like bourbon and brown sugar

T—slight malt and hops flavors, finishes dry, alcohol is well hidden.

M—creamy head gives way to a medium bodied ale; very little carbonation (thank you, widget perhaps?) and almost a little flat

D—a nice light ale that I could drink several of. Very smooth, creamy and light.

3.58/5  rDev +12.6%

20 oz. nitro can served rather cold.

The nitro can becomes evident immediately after opening since it is hard not to have this spill on the table. The nitro also creates a think, creamy white head. Very nice lacing. Pours a clear golden/honey color.

The smell is quite light with some detectable malt and that may be all.

The taste has light malt with some hints of tart apples in the back.

It has a nice, light mouthfeel. Very low carbonation with a light body. Quite creamy. Overall, this beer is very drinkable. The low carbonation makes it go down smooth. While it is not a particularly interesting or complex beer, it is a good beer if stuck in a bar with a limited selection and hanging around with friends [that's how I ended up with it].

3.03/5  rDev -4.7%

Boddingtons Pub Ale always leaves me confused when I drink it. One day I can love it and the next hate it. My first thought is that Boddingtons should put these in 18-20 oz cans instead of the 16 they give you. You are almost guaranteed to lose 2-4 oz as soon as you open these nitro cans! :)

It does pour nice into a pint glass and settles also very nicely. Taste seems to be greatly affected by temp. more so than other beers and ales. If this is chilled just to much, it seems to lose all its flavor. When at the correct serving temp, it does have a nice taste to it. This is my "Oh why did I drink so much of (INSERT BEER NAME HERE) last night" beer. It is a very silky drink and much easier going down if you had a few to many of a mass produced beer the night before. Nothing amazing here but nothing offending either. At $7.99us for a 4-pack, you can probably do a LOT better...

3.68/5  rDev +15.7%

Pours a medium golden yellow, with the classic nitro precipitation that settles into a tight, uniform white head that doesn't dissipate the whole way down and leaves substantial lacing. Smell is a little on the light side, the downside of the nitro injection: Looks fabulous, but tends to impact the smell and taste. Anyway, what there is smells of roasted malts and grains. Taste is along the same lines, malty with a burnt overtone. Mouthfeel is creamy and very smooth, but kind of thin, but the drinkability is very good. This is a nice looking english pale, although a little light and not at all hoppy. Sort of an americanized english beer with a great deal of the traditional British character taken out in favour of North American aesthetics.

3.18/5  rDev 0%

In the can with the widget ...
where do they brew this these days?

Some State side Brits I know used to swear by this brew.
Not sure it has survived changes in its life well.

A nice medium honey color with a thin but silky head. It coats the sides of my dimpled glass thoroughly.

Aroma is of slightly malty sweetness and not much else.

Taste is pleasant, slightly fruit- apple/pear. notes.

Finish is clean though somewhat flat.

That is what makes it a good session beer. Low carbonation and the fact that the body will not fill you up nor will the hops overwhelm (EPA).

Good, not stellar.

3.48/5  rDev +9.4%

Boddingtons Pub Ale
16 oz nitro can
Served in a 20 oz tulip pint glass

Pours a golden bronze yellow with a massive head from the nitro can pour. Fluffy patches of lacing appear on the side of the glass.

The nose is rather faint and boring. Whiffs of dairy and light foral hops.

Taste is super creamy and smooth, as one would expect from a nitro can. The mouthfeel is so drinkable and light that there is a good drinkability level. Decent hop profile on the finish as well.

It's a slightly above average brew and certainly better on draught. I wish there were some more complexity for this style. Mainstream in it's own way, but also an enjoyable beer in the big picture of beers available.

3.38/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured into pint glass.
Golden hue with a nice thick white head. Smells of citrus, hops and perhaps a bit of malt.

Tastes creamy, citrus, some spice. A bit too creamy for my taste, however, Felt like it coated my tongue, throat and stomach. If the taste had less citrus I would drink more.
worth a try.

3.48/5  rDev +9.4%

This Pale Ale pours a thick yellow, sort of semi-clear with thick big creamy white head of nitro-foam. Has all the characteristic lacing of a nitro-beer. Smell is citrus and is it my imagination stoked by the bees on the can or is it honey? Nope the taste is honey with citrus flowers and a hint of butter. It's smooth, very smooth with a quick bite at the end. Mouthfeel is light bodied but full with the nitro. A lot of folk don't like the use of nitrogen in beer and it does even the flavor out a bit but I do like the creaminess it imparts to the brew.

3.95/5  rDev +24.2%

I tried this out of the can. Light colored. Very thick head but it disapates well. Nice creamy, malty, roasted flavor. Like the aftertaste. Maybe even a dry flavor. Very smooth on the carbonation. Not my favorite, but a good casual beer that would go well with food or without.

3.93/5  rDev +23.6%

Pours a clear gold color with some amber darkness. The head is an ivory pancake like most nitro beers. Lacing consists of dense ridges. The aroma has lots of aromatic Goldings hops as well as a sufficient bready malt. The taste is dominated by a dry yeast flavor, somewhat buttery, maybe more butterscotch. Malt is bready and the hops are well represented and very herbal whith some tea-like qualities. Theres a sweetness in the middle and the finish is quite dry. The mouthfeel is full of nitrogen creamyness which is OK but kind of artificial to me.

This is one of my old favorites. Apparently its a very weak version if the original but its still tastey, among the best of nitro can beers.

3.63/5  rDev +14.2%

Fantastically smooth, creamy pub ale. Pours thick with a nice big head that lasts and lasts. This a lick-foam-off-your-lip-and-grin type of beer. Smell has a hint of honey and steel. mouthfeel is incredibly smooth like melted ice cream. Tastes fine, with hints of malt, milk, nuts. The hops in here are evident and maybe a bit overdone. i want my pub ales to be creamy and smooth, not really hoppy at all. i can take this or leave it from the can, but i hear its better on draft.

3.23/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours a clear yellow, thick big creamy white head forms, laces well and sticks around. Smell is honey, vanilla, citrus and dirty socks. Taste is honey and vanilla, little bit of citrus and floral. Mouthfeel is light bodied, with low carbonation. Not too bad, better fresh.

3.05/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured on-tap at Brit's pub in Pasadena, CA, a pub owned by a Liverpudlian ex-pat. This beer poured beautifully with a nice thick head and decent lacing. The color was mainly yellow and there was mild carbonation. The smell was much like an american macro-lager with a bit more malt: somewhat of chemicals. The taste was not as good as some other bitters I've had, but it wasn't awful either. Not too complex. It had a very clean and refreshing mouthfeel but the aftertaste ruined it for me. I used to enjoy this beer greatly, now I find it a nice beer once in a while when I am in the mood for it, but not something I would drink regularly.

3.18/5  rDev 0%

I'm not much of a fan of nitro-beer. I think this may be the first one I've ever reviewed. It pours a golden color with a bodacious foamy head. The white foam across the top almost has the consistency of pudding. The smell is pretty faint and boring. The taste is decent, sweet malts, and a fruity hop taste here and there. I just dislike the mouthfeel on these nitros. Too thin and watery. Always seems to remind me of an old beer that was opened, put back in the fridge, and then resorted to several days later. Not a bad beer otherwise, I'd like to try it on-tap, or atleast in a different serving type.

2.9/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Unfortunately for this brew it was the predecessor of my first Duvel. However it didn’t let me down. All of the English pale ales I have tried have been on the fruity side of the spectrum and after reading what range is capable for this brew I hopped this one would change my expectations. I wasn’t let down. I can’t bring myself to give this beer anything less that a great score for appearance. The head was simply the smoothest milkiest, whitest head I have ever seen. If the lacing was better I would be perfect. The head is like nothing I have seen the special draughtflow can must do the trick because the head on this is so thick and smooth.

The taste is not much to write home about however. The taste was ok and very buttery with smooth malts and hints of sweetness, but nothing really notable. It was quite a bland mix, but something you must buy if only to admire the beauty of these nitro heads.

2.63/5  rDev -17.3%

let me start by saying, i am not a pale ale fan to start with.

Appearance: very slightly reddish yellow. pours with a heavy thick head, which i should add now to watch out when opening the can, head subsides to a nice covering and continues to cling to the glass all the way down.

Smell: very bland and lifeless, it barly even smells like beer.

Taste: again very simple and lackng in my opinion. dont get it wrong it is a smooth creamy beer, but that is it.

not something that i would drink on a regular basis, or ever again. just not my glass of beer i guess.

I have known Bodingtons for over a year but this is the first time I am reviewing it. I love the initial pour of the beer as it settles, the color and the sight of the beer setteling is a sight to behold, as well as the creamy head it leaves behind. I really enjoy the fact that the head stays throughout the entire beer, even at the very end there is still a head in which to enjoy the beer. Although, the smell is a bit wheaty, and I find, that there is not too much to the smell. The taste is very good, coupled with the incredibly smooth mouthfeel, this is pure pleasure to the tastebuds. I do enjoy this beer, but I usually like to eat something along with it, (eg: a meal, Chips or Penuts) otherwise towards the end of the beer a bad aftertaste develops and needs to be neutralized with a different taste. Overall this is a really good beer and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking to try something new.

3.25/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A great look to this brew. Poured from a nitro can into a pint glass, it had snow all the way to the bottom of the glass. When settled it left a beautiful two finger head which dissipated only slightly and remained until the very end. The body is a nice golden yellow/orange.

Not a lot to speak of in the scent department, a bit hoppy and slightly sweet smelling.

The flavor was, as the can proclaims "smooth and creamy". It could have been fuller, however it was quite complex. Started bitter, became a bit sweet, and then finished bitter.

2.7/5  rDev -15.1%

Poured from a nitro can, so of course this thing is a beauty. Pale orange w/ a resilient head. Not much in the nose, really. Some faint pale malts and not much else. I had the same problem w/ the taste. Creamy, smooth mouthfeel, although quite a bit watery for my taste. Yeah, I guess I could go for another if it was handed to me.

Luckily I got a single of this at a dollar rack somewhere. Very glad I never shelled out the $8-$9 for a 4 pack of pints.

3.68/5  rDev +15.7%

One of the prettiest beers I have ever poured. Has a cascade like Guinness, a thick head that never leaves and coats the glass as you down it. Color changes from a deep yellow to a lighter gold as the cascade settles itself into the head.
The smell is not quite as impressive, mostly hops with a little citrus and grain aroma.
Taste is great, rich, slightly bitter, a little sweet honey, and a hint of fruit. Very well balanced hops. Aftertaste is not great but I can deal with it for a beer this good.
Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth, I think the nitro can gives it the creamy feel but it is worth it. A little on the low side of carbonation and gets flat toward the end of the glass.
This is one that I have been drinking for years and continually pick up when I find a place that sells the four pack of pint cans. Even better when you can find it on tap.

4.15/5  rDev +30.5%

Fortunately this one is available all over the place on tap. The appearance of this one is so unique and awesome. It fizzes off 3 shaded with dark yellow, pale yellow, and the most enduring white head you've ever seen. Can't be beat. Banana in the nose and the flavor with English bitterness. I get a glass of this one 90% of the time I find it.

3.85/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottle Inspection: Nitro Can, silhouette of a mug suggests serving glass, but no abv, date, etc.

Aroma: Mild yeast and metallic hop notes mixed with some malt. Not bad, but not inspiring.

Appearance: Great looking beer! Pour was all white foam, but it lifted like a morning mist to reveal a brass amber glass topped with a crème Brule compact, almost Styrofoam looking head that is rather impressive. It doesn’t look like it will ever die and coats my mug with thick foam with ridged tidemarks. It even holds my lip print from my first taste. Has to be the most impressive head I’ve ever seen.

Flavor: It just says “England”. I guess it’s the English hops, but it is really distinctive. Balance definitely goes to the hops, but it seems to be all taste, little bitter present. There is just the slightest fruit note at the finish, almost a banana taste.

Mouthfeel: Massively creamy texture. Ok, it’s a nitro can effect, but man it works. Low carbonation, but it’s very appropriate. It’s like “budder”. Does get a bit flat toward the end of the glass.

Overall Impression: A very enjoyable beer. It just screams session. I’m going to have to pick some up just for football games. Flavor is unique and mild, looks just outstanding, about the only dings are aroma and the mouthfeel gets a bit flat toward end, but I wouldn’t change a thing. Obvious why it’s lasted since 1778, they’ll be drinking this in 2078 and beyond. Classic beer!

Boddingtons Pub Ale from Boddingtons