Boddingtons Pub Ale - Boddingtons

awful

Boddingtons visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-20-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Boddingtons Pub Ale Alström Bros
2.95/5  rDev -7.2%

Pours a nice golder color with a thick creamy white head. Not carbonated at all, except for the initial cascade. It has a nice malt/hops balance with a bit more malt than hops. Definately not for a hophead. The drinkibility is so high because I could easily see myself in a pub in Manchester ordering pint after pint of these draughts and never really tiring of the taste. there isnt anything special at first sip, but it is just a good overall beer with mass comsumption in mind.

koolkat, May 23, 2003
3.9/5  rDev +22.6%

The Draughtflow system...'releases millions of tiny bubbles'. Well maybe that was the original plan, but this, my final can of the four-pack, has been in my fridge for about a year. The temp is a frosty 35 or so, but I still wondered if this would be drinkable. It was. However, upon opening, I didn't get millions of bubbles, maybe just a few hundred thousand. A very small head, showing its age I reckon.

Smells a little grainy, fruitcake like, at least the candied fruit part. Pale copper color, attractive.

Smooth and creamy, but not heavy or oily. The nitro bubbles have enough effect to make the mouthfeel soft. Light grain taste with a lightly bitter finish. No overpowering flavor components, but I like it just the same. This is the first and only beer I've ever had with the widget setup.

Very drinkable, even after all this time. I'll buy this one again.

brewdlyhooked13, May 22, 2003
3.93/5  rDev +23.6%

Served a hazy bright amber in appearance with a creamy off-white head similar to Guinness. Aroma seemed pretty light. Smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Finish has a citrus-like quality to it with a mild bitterness. Nothing mind-blowing, but just a good, drinkable English pub ale.

Winter, May 06, 2003
3.58/5  rDev +12.6%

This beer poured a golden color. The head was creamy with a white top. The lacing was just so-so on the sides of my mug. It had a fruity aroma to it. It had a bitter taste and it also had a lingering aftertaste. There was nothing outstanding about this particular beer.

hotstuff, May 05, 2003
3.88/5  rDev +22%

Creamy thick white head and golden orange in color. Smooth, creamy mouthfeel. Fruit (grapefruit) and a slight biscuit aroma come across in the nose. Moderate bitterness on the side of the tongue with a grapefruit character. Smooth with pretty subdued flavors overall. The more I drank the more I percieved a biscuity, bready flavor. Quite easily downable as a session beer.

jreitman, Apr 17, 2003
2.63/5  rDev -17.3%

This nitro-can tends to shoot to life once the tab is pulled. Meaning three of the four pack if not in or near a sink, tended to make a mess before the pour. Once you do pour, let the brew settle for a good 60 seconds-plus as the nitro cascades and a creamy white head is made to feel pillow soft on the lip. The beers gold color stands alone, I mean it just stands with little to no carbon activity. The beer looks like its flat. The taste or smell offer little malt or hop. The taste is grainy, grassy or strawlike. Mouthfeel is left dry. The body was abit watery as well. This brew is a sipping beer rather than one to grab for thirst. Just open it by a sink!

chilidog, Apr 13, 2003
3.4/5  rDev +6.9%

A nice looking beer. This guy was very smooth, creamy, and really easy to drink. My school's pub serves this on tap, and I really wish I'd gotten around to tasting it earlier. Easily a session beer. It would be nice if it had a bit more malt flavor, and some kind (ANY) kind of smell.

Marty, Apr 04, 2003
3.48/5  rDev +9.4%

An interesting beer to say the least. I commented to my friends that while Boddington's is not the most complex beer I've ever tasted it just may be the creamiest and for this I give it some respect. I got an awful pour by the bartender at my school bar, but my friends was done correctly and the results were a glorious, fluffy, light head that settled out of the nitro. Good for sessions and as a creamy treat.

EmoBeerGuy, Apr 03, 2003
3.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Well it looked real good in the glass with the creamy white head sitting on the enticing amber brew. But other than that this beer is nothing special. There is no great smell to grab your attention, maybe just a hint of malt and floral hops. The taste is creamy and smooth with just a hint of hops, but I wouldn't say it's very bitter at all. Overall this is a very smooth and creamy beer that has no spectacular taste. At the same time it's enjoyable enough and it's easy to put back a few. Not usually my first choice at my local pub, but I also would never complain is someone bought me one.

BittRnessabounds, Apr 02, 2003

This is the first beer that I’ve tried out of a nitro can and I’ll have to say that I’m impressed. Initial pour is a hazy orange/golden color with a thick creamy white froth. Once the foam settles from the pour, the color is a clear gold topped off with a rich 1-inch head that retains itself through the entire duration. Aromas are malty and sweet. The taste is so mild that I had to ask myself, “This is a Bitter?” It was so smooth and easy to drink. I could definitely see myself drinking several of these in one setting.

Scooter77, Mar 31, 2003
3.98/5  rDev +25.2%

I've sampled both draught and nitro cans and quite frankly, not a great deal different. Initially, pale gold in color transforming to dull amber with a billowing, multi-layered head, which begins 3/4 of the way from the bottom of the glass and rapidly rises to create a creamy, frothy white head. Tea and light hop aroma gives way to a mild herbal malt then disappears. If looks are deceiving, the malt body is thinner than it looks. The Light to medium tea with a twist of lemon peel hops remains constant throughout the glass. A smooth and frothy, lick your lips sort of ale. You can’t help gulping.

BeerResearcher, Mar 30, 2003
3.48/5  rDev +9.4%

This is a pretty standard pub brew ale, goes good with all sorts of grub. Went great with my philly cheese steak.
The color is a golden yellow with a slightly amber-brown glow, glass had a small white head about a finger high.
Smells faintly of sweet hop and grains.
Tastes of bread-like malt and balanced in with a bitter dry hop.
Feel is clean, crisp, light, a bit watery, and has a bitter dry finish.
Drinkably good, but was a little flat, I was suprised that out of the tap it wasn't much better than out the can.

tavernjef, Mar 30, 2003
4.15/5  rDev +30.5%

A very good pub ale, this is one of my favorites. While out of the nitro can Boddington's is not bad, but the tap is so much better. This is one brew that is appealing in color, aroma, and flavor and, if you can find it at your local haunt, goes with any type of pub grub, from hot to sweet, to whatever.

Truly a classic.

Prost!

goindownsouth, Mar 30, 2003
3.9/5  rDev +22.6%

I love this stuff right here. It pours a creamy brown color with an excellent head. Once the foam settle it is a nice evenly brown color. It smells delicious and tastes even better. The malts are rich and smooth and the hops are just the right amount of pale flavor. It is very smooth and drinks easy. Like I said, I love this stuff. I can't get enough.

tang214, Mar 24, 2003
3.15/5  rDev -0.9%

Decent enough pub ale that mimics the Guinness nitro approach. Nicely decorated can contains the zealous mix that will cause the cascading head even before the pour. Cloudy amber coloration and a voluminous head of white cream is the appearance. Ample lacing. Smooth light taste with significant bitterness and a slight metallic edge. A bit too light on body and watery sense though there is a light cream sense. Starts stronger than it finishes.

AtLagerHeads, Mar 22, 2003
3.95/5  rDev +24.2%

16 oz. Nitro Can

Appearance: A crystal clear, golden amber beer. The widget produced a super dense and creamy head. The beautiful cascading action settled down into a two-finger head that just sat there. It showed no signs of dissipating at all before I took a drink. Even as I polished off the last drop of liquid, a good finger of head was still present. It left solid sheets of foam stuck to the sides of the glass in its wake.

Smell: The aroma was clean and extremely mild. Too mild, really. There was just a hint of malt and the slightest perception of hops. Occasionally, if I really sniffed, I could detect a mild fruitiness.

Mouthfeel: This beer was creamy smooth and medium-bodied.

Taste. The flavor was almost as mild as the aroma. There was a light malt taste with a bit of citrus bite on the sides of the tongue. A hops bitterness was just barely detectable late in the finish, along with a light sweetness.

Not a powerhouse by any means, but still a pleasant and highly drinkable brew. I sucked this pint down in no time. My rating is based totally on this beers own merits. If I were to look at it compared to other pales/bitters, it would not hold up at all.

Quaffer, Mar 19, 2003
2.73/5  rDev -14.2%

Hazy amber with a nice white head. Creamy smooth. A bit of a malty sweet with a lack luster bitter. The ending/aftertaste is slightly unpleasant. Better than American macros, but not a super beer by any means. Without the nitro I'm sure this would be just another crappy beer.

scottum, Mar 16, 2003
2.83/5  rDev -11%

This rating is certainly higher than I would afford this beer because of the awesome cascade that accompanies it. It reminded me of some sort of science experiment when I poured it. The beer was a pretty basic light copper ale color, but the cascade was this interesting yellow cloud that sank and then rose in my glass. The smell was overly metallic without much in the way of flavors. Taste was like guiness light, if it existed. Probably the major problem with nitro cans. It had a creamy mouthfeel which masked my preoccupation with the lack of taste. Ohk brew.

GreatPondBrewer, Mar 15, 2003
2.88/5  rDev -9.4%

Not one of my fav's, but not my least fav. It was a very light pale yellow color, with a short lived foamy white head. I thought it was quite carbonated, maybe just me though. Quite a bitter taste in the beginning, that lead to a bitter aftertaste. I'm usually not a big fan of bitters though. Probably not going to venture into it anymore though.

JISurfer, Mar 14, 2003
3.1/5  rDev -2.5%

Average on the taste and average on the entire beer. This is one of the most over-rated ales in the world. It is bland either in a can or on tap, I'm glad there are so many other choices at the bar. It is fizzy, light, a session beer for the English with low ABV. I am not an English beer lover but this one is not worth seeking.

bierman2000, Mar 13, 2003
4.05/5  rDev +27.4%

I haven't had this beer in awhile. I don't often enjoy beer from cans, but this was a good experience. I love the pour of this beer. Ultra-creamy with a massive and dense white head which lasted throughout the pint. The color was a pleasing and clear pale gold. There was a nice hop bite that was more noticable than the body of this beer. Despite that, a decent session beer for me with a unique appearance.

10.26.09

Another 4 pack that I couldn't resist. I just crave these nitros once in a blue moon. The can system works for me and i've upgraded a few things on these samples - taste and smell. Tha Appearance is always perfect. Love the slight sour-lemony finish and the light buttery body.

Always a special treat!

pezoids, Mar 13, 2003
2.78/5  rDev -12.6%

This beer wasn't brewed; it was churned -- like butter.

A creamy bit of head puffs out on every can of this I've ever had. Since it invariably ends up splashing on my hands a bit, I can say that it's even got a creamy, textured feel to the touch. The pour offers the cascading effect that you'd expect from a nitro-can beer, and the head floats like a little piece of dense foam. And the beer is a nice golden, almost orange-ish color. Kind of a sunshine tone. Looks beautiful.

Smells mildly of floral hop aromas. Very, very mild taste. Certainly nothing spectacular, but it's so mild that, in some senses, it's appealing at first as an easy beer to drink just for the hell of it.

But oddly enough, it's *so* creamy, that you don't want more than one. On tap or out of the can, as was the most recent serving, I've never been able to finish a second pint. It always begins to turn my stomach -- almost as though I was drinking cream straight from the container. Worth having on occassion, and I can see how folks might absolutely love this beer. But it's not my cup of tea...er, cream...er, beer.

marburg, Mar 06, 2003
3.03/5  rDev -4.7%

Wow, I've never seen that cascading effect in a light colored beer, pretty neat. This brew was sort of a dark golden color with a thick creamy pure white head. Thats probably the best part about this beer. The aroma is sort of lacking, the little smell that is there is sort of grassy, not much else coming through. The taste is very bland imo. If anything maybe a little bit of a hoppy finish, with a slight tinge of bitterness, but it is a struggle to pick it out. This brew has the creamy draught system mouthfeel, but not near the same quality as say Beamish or Guinness. I would not purchase this beer again.

Bruiser81, Mar 02, 2003
3.38/5  rDev +6.3%

Interesting brew. Orange in color, which suprised me. Lots of malt taste, and you had to really think of hops to taste them. Nice head, lasted til gone, went well with the steak dinner I ordered it with. I recommend it, but nothing really exceptional about it.

Fabric8r, Feb 19, 2003
3.25/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured an orange with a big cascading fluffy head. Clean smelling with some flowery and estery scents, but not too much more. Very smooth tasting. Some toasted malt and very mild hops. There is a tea-like aftertaste that I really was not keen on at all. Maybe this is the grain tannins the bros. write of. I'd say this is a good session beer, although I don't know that I'd buy it again. I'm positive there are better pub ales out there like Abbot, etc.

Admiraldinty, Feb 13, 2003