Boddingtons Pub Ale - Boddingtons

Boddingtons visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-20-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Boddingtons Pub Ale Alström Bros
2.63/5  rDev -17.3%

let me start by saying, i am not a pale ale fan to start with.

Appearance: very slightly reddish yellow. pours with a heavy thick head, which i should add now to watch out when opening the can, head subsides to a nice covering and continues to cling to the glass all the way down.

Smell: very bland and lifeless, it barly even smells like beer.

Taste: again very simple and lackng in my opinion. dont get it wrong it is a smooth creamy beer, but that is it.

not something that i would drink on a regular basis, or ever again. just not my glass of beer i guess.

I have known Bodingtons for over a year but this is the first time I am reviewing it. I love the initial pour of the beer as it settles, the color and the sight of the beer setteling is a sight to behold, as well as the creamy head it leaves behind. I really enjoy the fact that the head stays throughout the entire beer, even at the very end there is still a head in which to enjoy the beer. Although, the smell is a bit wheaty, and I find, that there is not too much to the smell. The taste is very good, coupled with the incredibly smooth mouthfeel, this is pure pleasure to the tastebuds. I do enjoy this beer, but I usually like to eat something along with it, (eg: a meal, Chips or Penuts) otherwise towards the end of the beer a bad aftertaste develops and needs to be neutralized with a different taste. Overall this is a really good beer and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking to try something new.

3.25/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A great look to this brew. Poured from a nitro can into a pint glass, it had snow all the way to the bottom of the glass. When settled it left a beautiful two finger head which dissipated only slightly and remained until the very end. The body is a nice golden yellow/orange.

Not a lot to speak of in the scent department, a bit hoppy and slightly sweet smelling.

The flavor was, as the can proclaims "smooth and creamy". It could have been fuller, however it was quite complex. Started bitter, became a bit sweet, and then finished bitter.

2.7/5  rDev -15.1%

Poured from a nitro can, so of course this thing is a beauty. Pale orange w/ a resilient head. Not much in the nose, really. Some faint pale malts and not much else. I had the same problem w/ the taste. Creamy, smooth mouthfeel, although quite a bit watery for my taste. Yeah, I guess I could go for another if it was handed to me.

Luckily I got a single of this at a dollar rack somewhere. Very glad I never shelled out the $8-$9 for a 4 pack of pints.

3.68/5  rDev +15.7%

One of the prettiest beers I have ever poured. Has a cascade like Guinness, a thick head that never leaves and coats the glass as you down it. Color changes from a deep yellow to a lighter gold as the cascade settles itself into the head.
The smell is not quite as impressive, mostly hops with a little citrus and grain aroma.
Taste is great, rich, slightly bitter, a little sweet honey, and a hint of fruit. Very well balanced hops. Aftertaste is not great but I can deal with it for a beer this good.
Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth, I think the nitro can gives it the creamy feel but it is worth it. A little on the low side of carbonation and gets flat toward the end of the glass.
This is one that I have been drinking for years and continually pick up when I find a place that sells the four pack of pint cans. Even better when you can find it on tap.

4.15/5  rDev +30.5%

Fortunately this one is available all over the place on tap. The appearance of this one is so unique and awesome. It fizzes off 3 shaded with dark yellow, pale yellow, and the most enduring white head you've ever seen. Can't be beat. Banana in the nose and the flavor with English bitterness. I get a glass of this one 90% of the time I find it.

3.85/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottle Inspection: Nitro Can, silhouette of a mug suggests serving glass, but no abv, date, etc.

Aroma: Mild yeast and metallic hop notes mixed with some malt. Not bad, but not inspiring.

Appearance: Great looking beer! Pour was all white foam, but it lifted like a morning mist to reveal a brass amber glass topped with a crème Brule compact, almost Styrofoam looking head that is rather impressive. It doesn’t look like it will ever die and coats my mug with thick foam with ridged tidemarks. It even holds my lip print from my first taste. Has to be the most impressive head I’ve ever seen.

Flavor: It just says “England”. I guess it’s the English hops, but it is really distinctive. Balance definitely goes to the hops, but it seems to be all taste, little bitter present. There is just the slightest fruit note at the finish, almost a banana taste.

Mouthfeel: Massively creamy texture. Ok, it’s a nitro can effect, but man it works. Low carbonation, but it’s very appropriate. It’s like “budder”. Does get a bit flat toward the end of the glass.

Overall Impression: A very enjoyable beer. It just screams session. I’m going to have to pick some up just for football games. Flavor is unique and mild, looks just outstanding, about the only dings are aroma and the mouthfeel gets a bit flat toward end, but I wouldn’t change a thing. Obvious why it’s lasted since 1778, they’ll be drinking this in 2078 and beyond. Classic beer!

2.93/5  rDev -7.9%

I had high hopes for this beer and maybe after a few more I'll like it, but my first experience left me wondering why so many people like this stuff.

the appearance is a caramel/honey color with a nice white head. the smell is very slight with an almost sweet odor. the taste is a mixture of sweet and bitter with a nasty almost chemical-like aftertaste. the mouthfeel is medium-bodied with a slightly creamy texture. this beer is not all that great of a drinker IMO.

3.93/5  rDev +23.6%

Oh what an intoxicating ale Boddingtons is, and by so much more than the alcohol that it delivers.

I consider drinking a pint of Boddingtons to be a noteworthy experience satisfying all of the senses. It's the only beer I've found that is more entertaining to watch settle than Guinness. It has the same nitrogen bubble rush, but rather than be a black-hole devoid of any light as Guinness is, while settling you can watch a boddington's ale change not only color, but pattern & texture as well.

After settling, its like a light golden version of Guinness. The same thick white creamy head. It looks as if someone took the head off of a Guinness and placed it on top of a JW Dundee Honey Brown.

As far as smell goes, it's nothing hugely exciting with a clean grainy aroma.

The taste is very smooth and drinkable leaving a sweet caramel/pecan taste on your tongue.

The mouthfeel is what gets me. Like a good friend of mine says "It's like drinkin' butta!" The nitrogen bubbles make this light ale feel like sucking down whipped cream or butter. It's truly a sensory experience.

This is quite possibly the only beer that I'll give rave reviews about because of mouthfeel and apperance instead of taste & smell. Everyone should try Boddingtons at least a few times in their life, it's a treat.

3.85/5  rDev +21.1%

Pours a nice orangy-yellow with a finger of white head. The head stays there the whole time. No signs of carbonation present.

Sweet malts balance with somewhat citrusy hops for the smell

Wow, nice flavour. Sweet honey becomes present, and is beautifully balanced with the malt and hops.

Incredibly smooth mouthfeel. How could something that feels as thick as this on the palate be this smooth? Hardly any carbonation present.

I was pleasantly surprised with this beer. For some reason I was expecting something less. I think I'll go grab another...

4.4/5  rDev +38.4%

A - Pure white head on a clear orange body (no visible carbonation)
S - Nice apple and malt aroma.
T - Light long lasting maltyness. Nice light bitterness, esp. on the finish. Ever so slightly sweet and fruity, still find apples.
M - Extremely light carbonation. I generally do not like nitro in my beer, but when done this light, I kinda liked it.
D - This is my kind of light beer!!!!

3.83/5  rDev +20.4%

I believe this is more properly classified as an English Bitter, but the two styles are so similar i doubt most of us could distinguish classic examples of each in a blind tasting.

The overall score of this one on BA seems a bit low. This is no outstanding beer, but it should definitely be recommended as an example of a classic English session beer. I'd have no problem drinking several pints of this in some small English pub whilst discussing the meaning of life with some mates.

I think this serves as an excellent example of a pretty subtle ale that is easily distinguished from a subtle lager by the fruity esters. You can really taste the "fruits" of the ale yeast and the warmer fermentation, highlighted by classic English hops. The epitome of a creamy head.

This one deserves respect.

3.78/5  rDev +18.9%

Nitro cans are quite an adventure - make sure you have your glass ready when cracking one open. The widget - a cylinder glued to the inside bottom of the can in this case - really does its job as long as you start pouring right away.

The cascade of foam is impressive and leaves a silky white head when it is done with its game. Lace is left thickly down the inside of the glass from the top to the bottom. The beer itself is quite flat when the cascade is over. I realize an English pub ale is not supposed to be as sparkly as an industrial lager, but I do like slightly more condition remaining than I found in this glass. Color is light copper and brilliantly clear.

Aroma is fruit and caramel, but muted by, I think, the nitrogen. Caramel sweetness is backed up by a firm bitterness. Not crisp like a pilsner, but certainly more than a bitter.

The caramel sweetness and bitterness balance nicely and invite another pint.

3.58/5  rDev +12.6%

Short, dense, creamy, white nitro head. Milky gold/orange cascade settles to a clear, clear orange-gold beer. Nose is fairly faint, with fruity bananas shouldered out some by that creamy nitro ink. More nitro ink in front, some cream and fruit. Creamy thick through the middle, with pronounced apples. Finish is somewhat bitter with sourish apples. The nitro obscures what are probably some nice, fruity, malty tastes. Still, enjoyable and chock full of nice memories for me.

3.6/5  rDev +13.2%

Boddington’s Pub Ale
Duke of Kent Hotel – Latrobe St, Melbourne – September 07 2005
Boddington’s pours like a classic English ale with a beautiful cascade that ends in a thick white head. The beer itself ultimately settles down into a light amber colour with few bubbles. The taste starts with a bit of sweetness and then the trademark British bitterness comes across the back of the tongue. Mouthfeel is silky, and one sip begs another. Definitely a good beer, and when it’s on its best character on tap, it’s an absolute winner. I have tried the nitro can, however, and was much less than impressed.
Appearance: 4.5
Smell: 3.0
Taste: 3.5
Mouthfeel: 4.0
Drinkability: 4.0

4.13/5  rDev +29.9%

This is a very nice and smooth pub ale that goes down wonderfuly after a long day at work. It Pours into a glass somewhat resembling a pint of Caffereys or Kilkenny but slightly lighter in color, certainly nice to look at. Smell is nothing special, but it does taste quite good, slightly bitter with a delicate caramel-esque aftertaste. Mouthfeel is interesting, the foam is very thick and creamy and that makes for an interesting feeling in the mouth. This beer is very very drinkable, nothing offensive in this beer at all and i would definitely reccomend this one.

3.65/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Has an apple juice (beer piss) color, appears to not have any carb action, and the "draughtflow system" employs a recylable device that gives the beer a huge white instant creamy head that lingers through out the session with some moderate lacing. The beer is difficult to open without foaming over and the device can be identified after the can is emptied and shook.

Has a moderate caramel malt smell with some pine or citrus hops.

Lightly sweet, acidic, and bitter caramel malt taste and the creamy head almost gives it a hint of soap. Slightly lemon, lime, and spruce hoppy flavor.

Light bodied, dry and creamy texture, flat carbonation, and a smooth slightly soapy finish.

If I'm at bar with only macro stuff or lame micro options sometimes I'll get this on nitro (tap) which is better than the can. This is one of the few beers I do not mind drinking, on nitro (tap), cold.

2.28/5  rDev -28.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

I've always wanted to try this beer since i see it at my local meijer grocery store as well as the high class liqour store i got to. The head was awesome, to put it in very un-eloquent terms, but the flavor did not back up the apperance of the beer. The smell reminded me of cream soda. But the flavor of the beer didn't back up the smell. The beer tasted as if it were flat but the head proved otherwise. My rocomendation, do not try this beer unless you like flat tasting beer.

2.68/5  rDev -15.7%

What a bizarre beer! Pours a ridiculously thick head which, when viewed from directly above, looks like milk. A thick, orange beer with loads of carbonation evident. It's pretty frightening to look at, to tell the truth. Smell isn't half bad--just relatively simple. There is a perfume-y apple juice smell, laden with pungent notes of other fruits (banana and pear, I think). The taste is bland and safe, but not bad--the same fruity smells surface on the palate. But there is an awful pang of plastic midway through that is really pretty disgusting. (Fortunately, the plastic pang is short-lived.) Tis very thick to drink, and the carbonation that I was expecting (given the head and bubbles) somehow hardly exists at all. While this is no favorite of mine, I can see myself pulling one out of the fridge once in a blue moon just for the camp-factor.

3.28/5  rDev +3.1%

Popped the top on the 16 oz. (yay) nitro can that hadn't been shaken, was sitting in an ice cold fridge and then warmed a bit in room temperature. Received a nitrogen-powered beer explosion, as I lost a good deal of beer onto the carpet. Oh well, at least I don't mind that my room smells like beer. Once I got it in the british pint glass, there was a little of the reverse bubblage of Guinness (the only other nitro can I know). At first the glass was 10% beer 90% head, but quickly settled to 85-15 with an impossibly smooth two finger head that lasted the whole pint. Golden honey brown in color with little bubbling. I am a sucker for the nitro head. I'm tempted to fault the beer for the spill but it's not Boddington's fault. I have never seen a better head on a beer.

Minor smell, I have to strain to get something even with the nice head. Some hops, some bitter malts, nothing too special. A little bit of corn that reminds me of macro American lagers.

Taste is typical for a mainstream British ale, a mild bitterness that is not dominating. The flavors work well together, a little bit of dairy. Nuttiness detected as the pint progressed.

Oh yeahhh baby nitro can mouthfeel. If only more bottlers used this. I understand it's not for all beers but whew. Airy, fluffy mouthfeel, like pillows for your mouth. Almost like drinking a glass of milk. Finishes like it's flat and totally uncarbonated, but along the way you notice the bubbles .. they are just so delicate they are almost imperceptible.

Compared to normal bottled pale ales, this is very drinkable. There's not a lot of new flavors to consider, but it's a pleasure to pour, admire, and consume. This couldn't be the focus of a beer drinking session, but as something to drink casually while chatting with friends in the pub, it's ideal.

2.9/5  rDev -8.8%

This is the initial fruit of my labor in attempting to improve the beer selection available at the U.S. Embassy commissary in Moscow. Still looking for a U.S. craft brew. This is the best we can do so far. Comes in a tall yellow half-liter can with black print surrounding a keg with what looks like frontal and top depictions of a bee. While most of the writing on the can is in English, the ingredients list is in four languages I don't speak. Just four elements listed though, so I suspect it is purity law compliant. Best before February 2006, I opened it on 8/13/05.

One can criticism the nitro system, but it sure produces a good looking beer: clear copper under a one finger white head of very thick cream that lasts forever. Oddly, the lacing is a bit thin. There is remarkably little nose - basically none. The mouth is heavy and sticky, with mild carbonation. The taste is neither grainy nor sweet, with tinny hops emerging quite early, accompanied by a touch of grassiness. The finish is more metallic than bitter, whith shisps of sweetness (grape?) mixed in. Nice lip-smacking aftertaste invites another swig. It will do.

3.83/5  rDev +20.4%

Light/medium bodied, pale gold, nice creamy head that starts when you pop the tab, so be ready.

Mild, smooth malt flavor, a trace of fruit or honey, slight metallic overtone, mild but crisp hops finish.

Very drinkable, smooth, refreshing. Should go well with just about any kind of food or just by itself.

2.58/5  rDev -18.9%

Boddington's Pub Ale from their nitro-can pours with a gushing head into a pint glass. The head takes only a minute to settle and produces an amber ale with a thick, small bubble head. The smell presented very little to the nose; a slight hop aroma but dominated by the malts. The downside of can transportation and storage is that the metallic odor of the can becomes imparted tot he beer's aroma.
The taste is very mild and well balanced. Nothing jumps out from this beer as a dominating flavor; a standard amber ale. The creamy head and malty body give this beer a good mouth feel for those who enjoy a beer with body. The thickness of the beer does limit its drinkability to one or two in a night.

3.23/5  rDev +1.6%

Boddingtons Pub Ale attempts to capture the English draught favorite in a can. I guess it does that more than some others do. I have heard people call Boddingtons a “yellow Guinness” which I find funny. Although both come in draught cans, and pour up in a similar fashion, the two brews are extremely different beasts.
Boddingtons shows up a light amber, pale gold in color, with a beautiful inch of thick cream, the bubbles being almost indiscernible. The cascading action that takes place as the beer settles and the head rises is fascinating to watch. Some of this head stays with the beer, and a thin layer of lace coats the glass all the way down. Aromas of buttery malt and gentle, floral hops are present. The taste is not too complex, very creamy, malt segues into hops on the sides of the tongue and throat; caramel like taste. These are not very strong flavors. The beer feels somewhat full in the mouth, but is extremely smooth and has no carbonation. Although I expected more tastes and stronger flavors, Boddingtons is not a bad beer. A great place to start for a classic English ale; draught, but in a can!
Cheers…

3.9/5  rDev +22.6%

Appearance is a cloudy golden color, with great foam and lacing. Aroma is crisp with sweet flowers and banana. Initial taste is a smoot experience that is like a good latte. Medium body and a sweet roasted coffee malt flavor predominates and overcome the flowery yet bitter hops. Adry finish that ends in astringent tannins and barley. So so.

Boddingtons Pub Ale from Boddingtons