Boddingtons Pub Ale - Boddingtons

Boddingtons visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-20-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Boddingtons Pub Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,075 | Hads: 2,554
4.4/5  rDev +37.1%

Boddingtons is a classic!

I would say this "cream ale" defines the style with a wonderful mouth-feel well-complimented by the use of nitrogenation of the beer.

Boddingtons is a terrifically easy and refreshing beer to drink for almost any occasion(though it is particularly well-suited for colder weather) (307 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +37.1%

Boddingtons caught me by surprise. I was'nt sure whether I'd like it so I never had it until a relative of mine came in, and I had to get some of my own after that.

It pours a deep yellow orange. There is a nice creamy one inch head on top and the texture comes across similar to Guiness. Nose is mainly sweet pale biscuity malts.

Taste is only mildly fruity. This resembles more of a lager character than an ale. It has that slightly sulfuric character in it. Nice mild hop bouqet in the finish balances things out.

This beer is definetly a nice summer sessioner. Very thirst quenching and mighty tasty too! (613 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +36.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cheers! What a great over all drinking beer. The nitrogen makes it taste like a milk shake. Honey flavor was detected as well as coffee. I could just see going to a pub in England and sharing this brew in a tall mug with my good buddys. The big, yellow can stands out in the crowd of boring, drab colored beers. Pour a cold one and watch the giant head vanish before your eyes. (377 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +36.4%

A - Pure white head on a clear orange body (no visible carbonation)
S - Nice apple and malt aroma.
T - Light long lasting maltyness. Nice light bitterness, esp. on the finish. Ever so slightly sweet and fruity, still find apples.
M - Extremely light carbonation. I generally do not like nitro in my beer, but when done this light, I kinda liked it.
D - This is my kind of light beer!!!! (390 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +35.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Boddingtons has been enjoyed by beer drinkers in England for more than 200 years, and is well known for its creamy head and smooth body.

Boddingtons is a refreshing, smooth beer renowned for its golden colour, full-bodied flavour and malty, moreish taste with smooth, tight creamy head. (287 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +35.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance: Beautiful honey-gold color with a dense, creamy white head.

Smell: Hints of clover with a tough of alcohol.

Taste: A sweet nectar beginning with a sweet malty fullness that finishes with a kiss of hops.

Mouthfeel: The creamy smooth quality of this beer is mesmerizing. Leaves a bit of a waxy feel behind.

Drinkability: A treat to drink. This beer makes a nice addition to a drinking session featuring beers that are more aggressive. It soothes the senses and prepares them for the next round. (508 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +35.2%

I know, I know. Bought out by the big guys, no longer brewed in Manchester and watery. But humor me if you will:

The ale pours in a lovely golden nitro-fied cascade like so many other nitro-cans with a mouthfeel people seem to like or hate.

The smell is of light malty banana bread with wisps of nutmeg (no one else I know smells nutmeg, though). The taste is oh so very mild and un-challenging that some may find it boring. I find it comforting and lovely, like a slightly slow old friend who lacks depth, yet is agreeable with good aesthetics. The drinkability is off the charts...certainly no challenge whatsoever. I love this beer. (639 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +34.9%

Over all I would say it is smooth. A little light on taste for a dark beer but very drinkable. Leaves you wanting a little more bite. Pours easy with a classic head that remains there until the last sip. My friend from the CZ really liked that (something the Europeans like i guess.) Without going into a lot of colorful words, it is the kind of beer you sit around at a Pub with friends and drink all night. Goes good with pizza, fish & chips and nachos. Enjoy! (462 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +34.6%

bought this beer about a week ago. pours nicely from the can into the pint glass and produces a great head that last the entire time in the glass. goes down really well and i can taste a little honey/butterscotch in the aftertaste. all in all, i think its a good brew. (268 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +34.3%

Despite other reviews, I found this beer to be an exceptional antithesis of the flavor-exploding beers in large production these days. I've had Boddingtons a number of times over the past two months, in cans and from tap at the Flying Saucer in Austin Texas, and I'm always excited to rely on it as an incredibly drinkable, low-gravity beer with delicate hints of sweet corn, and even, light banana on the after taste. Its nose isn't incredibly pronounced, but is reflective of the subtle flavors within. The carbonation is nice and frothy and melts away quickly like the much wider known Guinness brews, leaving a creamy smoothness on the palate after a sip. For those who want a great beer to drink during events that you wouldn't normally want high-gravity (movies, football games, socials with important guests that you cant turn into a drunken ass in front of) then Boddington's Pub Ale is for you. Cheers! (911 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +34.3%

I am not a fan of dark beer. I typically drink IPA, or witbier and lager. This however, provides a good full beer style with a satisfying taste. It is sweet but not at all overpowering. It mixes the strength with the smoothness very well. I would say the balance alone is what keeps me ordering it at pubs and bars. Introduced to it in college I still drink it today, typically with pub-type food. For those looking to venture into something more cultural than the typical Budweiser without going full blown Hobgoblin, go for this great tasting refreshing beer. (561 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +34.3%

I usually avoid cans, but after several positive reviews from some respected beer tasting locals, I decided to give this one a go. Pleasantly surprised. A quick pour from the can will give an effect similar to Guinness Draft. The big difference was the light amber color. The thick head could easily float a penny and left a thick lacing as I enjoyed every taste. The first impression is very creamy with a hint of freshly mowed grass. The finish is clean and light. This beer is very drinkable. (495 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +34%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Had this at the local pub. Pours a yellow color with a surprisingly thick white head that sticks around. Loved the head on this one. The aroma is a little bread-like, but there's really not much aroma here. The flavor is very smooth and a little malty. There is a little sweetness and a little hops to keep things fun, but the drinkability of this beer is amazing. It is a little bitter, but just a little. Great beer. (418 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +33.6%

This is a great beer. It's perfect for cold weather. The head is what makes this beer perfect. Nose is excellent. I'd recommend this beer to a person looking to spend some time with some imports.

Also, It's fairly cheap for an import. I It's just as good as most other British beers. (284 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +33.3%

I had the beer on tap about a month ago and really liked it. I picked up a case of the nitro cans. When I opened the first can, it shot out and overflowed some. The second can didnt have this problem as much. I poured it into a Guinness glass to drink. Very smooth and creamy and has a good taste. Slightly bitter at the end, but in a good way. It is a great looking beer. I will be enjoying this case. (402 characters)

4.28/5  rDev +33.3%

Bought a four pack to watch some soccer....errr...football with (EPL of course).

a - pours quickly into a creamy, smooth, golden lather that soon seperates into a lush, translucent body with a marvelous golden head

s - pungent hops and a nutty essence are prevalent

t - wonderful blend of sweet creaminess and just enough of a bite

m - feels just right in the mouth, as silk on skin

d - amazingly easy beer to drink, yum!

This is a very exceptional beer in my opinion. The widget gives one perhaps a BETTER than tap experience. I highly recommend....especially while watching soccer...err...football. (606 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +32.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Boddingtons Pub Ale...

Appearance-pale golden color, large flowery head that stays thick.

Smell-malt and hop both appear, flowery, alcohol as well but subdued, very aromatic.

Taste/Mouthfeel-Light flavor, pungent balanced taste, refreshing off the top, grainy with a light fruitness, very smooth and tasty on the way down.

Drinkability-as advertised, a fantastic pub ale.

Overall-really enjoyed this on tap, flavorful compared to most English Pales but very drinkable. (473 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +32.7%

after reading reviews on this beer i decided to get one. i thought
the can was very plain to start. but never judge a bbic.

i poured it into my guinness glass andit was appropriate because the beer turned out to be a lighter colored version of it.

this beer is delicious and i regret i only bought one. Its so smooth and easy going down. creamy on the toungue.I just wish the abv was 1% higher and it would be perfect.

i highly recommend. (442 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +32.4%

Ah yes Boddingtons. I can honestly say this is my favorite beer to get that is readily available basically EVERYWHERE that I would go to buy beer.

A - It always pours to a perfect thick creamy head that typically lasts deep into the drinking experience. You can indeed float light objects on top of the head. I would have to say the color is closer to a lighter brown.

S - It smells really good. Its a pub ale but it smells like a lighter version of a brown ale. It's not the strongest version of this style to be certain, but for something that is as available as say Heineken or Wells, it really is a good beer.

T - I really like it. I could drink 2-3 pints of this in a single night because it's not horribly flavored more towards one style. With certain kinds of beer, it can get old after awhile, but this has just the right taste to keep me coming back for more without wearing out my taste buds for one particular taste.

M - It's incredibly smooth. Like I said, it doesn't assault one particular region of your mouth and tongue. Rather it washes over all of it, which makes it a real easy beer to enjoy.

D - Very drinkable. I can drink this much easier than I can bud lite, which apparently has superior drinkability, if you believe everything that you are told. (1,276 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +32.4%

I really like this, great flavor, very well rounded. It's not your everyday beer, and you need to pour it and let it settle, or you aren't giving it a fair shake, but I highly recommend it! (197 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +32.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very good ale. Would choose this over most pilsners at a bar. Semi brownish color with hints of nuts & cream. Very smooth finish on draft. Easy drinkin beer. (157 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +32.1%

Beautiful cascading looks with a tightly packed head, golden color. Slight sweetness in the smell. Smooth creamy texture, with hints of sweetness at the front of the mouth that blend nicely with a mild hops in the aftertaste. One of my favorite beers, I could drink this one all night. (285 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +31.8%

Tried this beer in a restaurant that had it on tap. It has a nice appearance, creamy white head and amber body. Aroma-wise it is is quite subtle, perhaps floral, as someone has commented before.

It has a bitter taste to it but not overly so such as with Guinness. (I do like my Guinness as well) I didn't really experience the metallic aftertaste but then again, I had it on tap rather than from the can. Very smooth and creamy going down.

For myself, this is a good session beer at 4.7% and very thirst quenching on a hot summer's day. (539 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +31.2%

This is one of my favorites from the nitro-can, so I jumped on the opportunity to try it on draft at cobblestones in York, PA. Set in front of me with all but an inch being creamy, upside down waterfall head. Beautiful. The smell is slightly bitter, nothing extraordinary. When the head finally settled to an inch or two, the first sip is deep and refreshing, with a slightly more berrylike finish than the canned version. I love the mustache people get when drinking this beer. As drinkable as water, you can really throw these down if you want to. You don't much feel the alchohol until the second or third boddingtons, as it comes on rather smooth. If you like the can, you'll love the draft. (695 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +31.2%

I agree with the below comment. Boddingtons is totally underrated.

This was the beer that got me into English ales, being generally available, even at our local convenience stores and supermarkets here in Hong Kong. Definitely better than Tetley's Smooth Flow, Boddingtons is beautiful to behold, wonderful mouth feel and decent though not spectacular pale ale flavor.

Four times out of five, this is my beer of choice when there aren't any specialty beers available. (469 characters)

Boddingtons Pub Ale from Boddingtons