Boddingtons Pub Ale - Boddingtons

Boddingtons visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-20-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Boddingtons Pub Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,541 | Reviews: 1,128
4.25/5  rDev +33.6%

Ah yes Boddingtons. I can honestly say this is my favorite beer to get that is readily available basically EVERYWHERE that I would go to buy beer.

A - It always pours to a perfect thick creamy head that typically lasts deep into the drinking experience. You can indeed float light objects on top of the head. I would have to say the color is closer to a lighter brown.

S - It smells really good. Its a pub ale but it smells like a lighter version of a brown ale. It's not the strongest version of this style to be certain, but for something that is as available as say Heineken or Wells, it really is a good beer.

T - I really like it. I could drink 2-3 pints of this in a single night because it's not horribly flavored more towards one style. With certain kinds of beer, it can get old after awhile, but this has just the right taste to keep me coming back for more without wearing out my taste buds for one particular taste.

M - It's incredibly smooth. Like I said, it doesn't assault one particular region of your mouth and tongue. Rather it washes over all of it, which makes it a real easy beer to enjoy.

D - Very drinkable. I can drink this much easier than I can bud lite, which apparently has superior drinkability, if you believe everything that you are told.

4.25/5  rDev +33.6%

Enjoyable for buying in a can. (I prefer draft.) Relatively smooth and creamy pour.

4.25/5  rDev +33.6%

I really like this, great flavor, very well rounded. It's not your everyday beer, and you need to pour it and let it settle, or you aren't giving it a fair shake, but I highly recommend it!

4.24/5  rDev +33.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very good ale. Would choose this over most pilsners at a bar. Semi brownish color with hints of nuts & cream. Very smooth finish on draft. Easy drinkin beer.

4.24/5  rDev +33.3%

Beautiful cascading looks with a tightly packed head, golden color. Slight sweetness in the smell. Smooth creamy texture, with hints of sweetness at the front of the mouth that blend nicely with a mild hops in the aftertaste. One of my favorite beers, I could drink this one all night.

4.23/5  rDev +33%

Tried this beer in a restaurant that had it on tap. It has a nice appearance, creamy white head and amber body. Aroma-wise it is is quite subtle, perhaps floral, as someone has commented before.

It has a bitter taste to it but not overly so such as with Guinness. (I do like my Guinness as well) I didn't really experience the metallic aftertaste but then again, I had it on tap rather than from the can. Very smooth and creamy going down.

For myself, this is a good session beer at 4.7% and very thirst quenching on a hot summer's day.

4.21/5  rDev +32.4%

This is one of my favorites from the nitro-can, so I jumped on the opportunity to try it on draft at cobblestones in York, PA. Set in front of me with all but an inch being creamy, upside down waterfall head. Beautiful. The smell is slightly bitter, nothing extraordinary. When the head finally settled to an inch or two, the first sip is deep and refreshing, with a slightly more berrylike finish than the canned version. I love the mustache people get when drinking this beer. As drinkable as water, you can really throw these down if you want to. You don't much feel the alchohol until the second or third boddingtons, as it comes on rather smooth. If you like the can, you'll love the draft.

4.21/5  rDev +32.4%

I agree with the below comment. Boddingtons is totally underrated.

This was the beer that got me into English ales, being generally available, even at our local convenience stores and supermarkets here in Hong Kong. Definitely better than Tetley's Smooth Flow, Boddingtons is beautiful to behold, wonderful mouth feel and decent though not spectacular pale ale flavor.

Four times out of five, this is my beer of choice when there aren't any specialty beers available.

4.2/5  rDev +32.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A very nice, smooth and creamy feel with a slightly sweet taste. A good social/afternoon drink.

4.2/5  rDev +32.1%

From the can this beer poured a golden honey color. It produced a about a finger thick lasting head. There was no other evidence of carbonation. The smell was good and malty. The taste had a honey character. It was slightly bitter from the hops, but not too strong. This ale was nice and smooth and light in the mouth, maybe a bit too light...A good ale, not the best I've had, but I sure wouldn't mind downing a few of these!

4.2/5  rDev +32.1%

Beer bottle (50 cl), tasted in 2000.
Appearance: beer honey colored gold.
Smell: Aromas of grapefruit
Taste and mouthfeel: soft at first, which gradually leads bitterness. Everything happens in the backyard taste: floral
Drinkability: good English ale style pale ale

Review added 10-28-2007, translated from french 1-26-2008.

4.19/5  rDev +31.8%

Boddintons: English pub ale. Very creamy beer. Thick amber color, thick dense head. Incredibly smooth and sweet. Very easy to drink, highly recommended.

4.18/5  rDev +31.4%

This can contains a "widget" that adds carbonation after it is opened. When poured the head is tremendous. It foams away for a good three minutes and ends up with a small creamy head. Good amount of lacings. In spite of all the active head this is a relativly flat beer carbonation wise. You must like the English beers to enjoy this brew. Nicely bitter, fair amount of hops, very drinkable, a good session ale.
Well worth the experience, a nice beer with a few suprising attributes. Recommended.
Update: 12-12-08
This beer has become one of my favorite go-to beers. I especially like the 4.7% abv which really helps the sessionability of this tasty English beer. IMO this beer is closer to an English Bitter than a pale ale. Whatever, it is a delicious pour.

4.18/5  rDev +31.4%

I found this to be a very nice beer. It was purchased in a can and it contained one of those nitrogen balls that when busted is supposed to release nitrogen into the drink and cause a nice head to form. I found it to work rather nicely and the head was beautiful. Overall, the appearance, smell, taste, mouthfeel, and drinkability was exceptional. This is something I could drink regularly.

4.18/5  rDev +31.4%

Its possible this beer was meant to compliment the nitro pour system. Though its a fairly standard British Pale, it has a wonderful mouth-feel and drinkability due to its rich creamy body and clean taste. The attractive pour in an imperial pint, it sets a nice mood. Though the aroma is quite weak, possibly due to the thick foam, its still nice for the style. The taste is fairly standard, a creamy and malty taste with little hop presence. It certainly compliments fish & chips well, and it is entirely too drinkable.

4.17/5  rDev +31.1%

I found Boddingtons to be a classy style meaning it is not in your face when drunk.

When poured, it created a cream coloured moussy head. Mouthfeel was full and round, quite plesant. In the glass the beer was dark amber colour with a lot of effervecense. The nose was soft and sweet with hints of toast. A very good malt flavour finished with a slight hint of bitters.

4.16/5  rDev +30.8%

This is my bmc killer; when I want a smooth, cold, somewhat watery beer that I can chug mercilessly, this is it right here. I know that doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement, but to me there are different beers that serve different roles, and this beer fills its role with aplomb. And there's nothing wrong with that.

4.16/5  rDev +30.8%

Fortunately this one is available all over the place on tap. The appearance of this one is so unique and awesome. It fizzes off 3 shaded with dark yellow, pale yellow, and the most enduring white head you've ever seen. Can't be beat. Banana in the nose and the flavor with English bitterness. I get a glass of this one 90% of the time I find it.

4.15/5  rDev +30.5%

A very good pub ale, this is one of my favorites. While out of the nitro can Boddington's is not bad, but the tap is so much better. This is one brew that is appealing in color, aroma, and flavor and, if you can find it at your local haunt, goes with any type of pub grub, from hot to sweet, to whatever.

Truly a classic.

Prost!

4.14/5  rDev +30.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

20 pints of Boddingtons every Friday night...

I've been helplessly in love with this brew since working in Warrington for a summer back in the early 90s. Always my first choice if an establishment carries it. The golden color is amazing and the low carbonation sweet taste is just wonderful to me. Man I wish I had a pint or 10 right now!

4.14/5  rDev +30.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I love this beer as a light drinking with friends beer. Not too sophisticated, just pleasant drinking. It has a creamy feel, with a great flavour. One cannot expect a stout or a Belgian style flavour from this ale, rather expect simple and clean beer taste.

4.13/5  rDev +29.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Easy to knock back. Smooth and refreshing.

4.13/5  rDev +29.9%

Dense golden/copper color body with a rich and creamy looking head. Light malt aroma with bready notes. A very mellow tasting brew with a sweet malty taste throughout and just enough bitterness in the end. Bready/biscuity aftertaste. Though this beer is light tasting, the mouthfeel is creamy and thick and has a low carbonation. This pairing of a light taste with a heavy mouthfeel adds to the beers complexity and makes it very enjoyable. Also surprisingly refreshing despite the thick and creamy mouthfeel. You can really pound these either on a hot summer day or during a cold night at the pub. A great session beer anytime.

4.13/5  rDev +29.9%

Nice deep darker yellow with thick creamy off-white head. Mildly sweet-malty aroma curbed by some neutral hops. Malty and creamy and rounded with some noble hops. Starts with medium body and finishes a bit fuller. I enjoy these as an easy drinking beer, primarily when there is nothing else "hoppy" available.

4.13/5  rDev +29.9%

Appearance: looks good with a nice orange color, The carbonation goes down when you pour. just looks great.

Smell: A nice clean smell no to strong litely roasted malt

Taste: Light roasted malt, clean hop finish not to bitter, not that strong but very clean.

Mouthfeel: Not as thick as I expected it to be. good carbonation.

Drinkability: I like this beer it is very clean tating especially from a can I would love to try this on nitro tap.

Boddingtons Pub Ale from Boddingtons