Boddingtons Pub Ale - Boddingtons

Boddingtons visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-20-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Boddingtons Pub Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,087 | Hads: 2,616
2.43/5  rDev -23.8%

This pours a golden amber color and has an average beige head. Not really much smell or taste. There are some really mild malts and faint hops. The body is nice initially, but turns too watery as the beers warms. Nothing bad here, just a light mild ale that drinks easy.

2.43/5  rDev -23.8%

I really did not like this. It just seemed extremely watery. I dont' think this had any carbonation whatsoever. Maybe it was flat, who knows? But even if I got a bad brew I don't see how this would possibly be something I'd get time and time again. I could taste the hops towards the middle, but the beer got pretty nasty towards the bottom. I would never drink this again, unless it was free. I'm kind of upset I bought this.

Pint-sized Draughtflow can.

A: Pours with the expected frothy, creamy, white head with loads of cascading bubbles. The head is retained indefinitely and coats the sides of the glass. The color is a clear copper with lots of carbonation.

S: Mostly grain, with a small hint of floral character there. Not much going on here.

T: Pretty much all grain/bread. Finishes with a metallic flavor, with the slightest hints of nut and caramel.

M: At first the frothy foam gives this beer a smooth, creamy texture. However, this quickly turns into a thin, watery feel going down.

D: It goes down fairly easy, but there's not much to really like about this one.

2.42/5  rDev -24.1%

Huge, cascading, milky white, foaming nitro-can head. Clear amber color.

Smells like malt extract and standing water.

Tastes like really smooth...nothing. No really, this beer doesn't tastes like anything. I was thinking honey for a second but I think that's just because the can has a couple bees on it. It's tasteless, but damn it's a creamy tastelessness!

2.42/5  rDev -24.1%

I had a random can of this in my fridge for months, and figured I'd drink it tonight to make some room for other beers. When I popped the top, it exploded all over my table. Not a good start.

Appearance: Starts off with a nice head, with bubbles streaming up the glass. Settles down to a single-finger of flat, white foam. Translucent, bronze color.

Aroma: Not picking up much on the nose. Hints of citric hops.

Taste: Mildly bitter up front, and then...nothing. A bit like weak lemon water.

Mouthfeel: It's extremely smooth, but doesn't make up for the non-existent flavor.

Overall: I'd take this over a Bud, Miller, or Coors, but that's about it. It's not bad, it just isn't good. At all.

2.42/5  rDev -24.1%

Well, another nitro-can that contains a mediocre swill.

Appearance - a nice dark gold, with a creamy head that's to be expected from the widget action.

Aroma - almost none, just an average malty sweetness.

Taste - ugh...watery. The malt would have been nice if there were a bit more of it. The hop bitterness overpowers the weakness of the malt to make for a less-than-satisfying drinking experience.

Mouthfeel - pretty uncarbonated, I guess I just don't like flat beer. :

Drinkability - I guess it's OK, if you're willing to put up with blandness all night.

2.41/5  rDev -24.5%

Bought this can for a buck. Not bad a deal for a not bad a brew. Poured a frothy head upon an amber pond. Surely the nitro widget now banging around in the empty can effected the appearance immensely. Too bad it doesn't improve taste and smell. This was a very metallic brew. Is their no protective lining in the can? Or is this intentional? Some floral hops and odd smelling malt comes through the steel factory aroma. Taste. Hmm, not bad. If I was the tinman. Again, very metallic taste. But it's cold. After a while to warm, some bitterness comes through, so as not too disappoint. Creamy mouthfeel. Almost like an Irish creme. Though the taste is bad, the mouthfeel is good, allowing for a drinkable brew.

2.4/5  rDev -24.8%

Pours a clean orange-ish to yellow color with a white head. In the aroma, gingerbread like malt. In the taste, watery and a hint of gingerbread like malt. A smooth and medium to lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a semi dry, small malt in the aftertaste. Watery and not much flavor. Maybe a in between beer, but nothing exciting here.

look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Yikes... Is this really considered good beer in England? If so than I am REALLY proud to be an American! Smells like astringent mixed with rubbing alcohol... The taste is awful... Not sure what piss tastes like but I imagine this is pretty close... If I was in a desert and this was the only liquid I had to drink I would rather die of dehydration... Awful... Just plain awful...

2.4/5  rDev -24.8%

The best thing about this beer is the look. It has a cool falling head. It is also very creamy. Unfortunately the taste gets old by the end of the pint

2.39/5  rDev -25.1%

The colour is amber (18 EBC), the liquid is clear. The finger thick head is very smooth and compact. It sinks slowly leaving some lacing.

The mild smell is semi-sweet with somewhat stale malty notes. Light bitter metallic notes. Hints of biscuits.

The taste is light with some passing malt sweetness. Lightly roasted caramel flavours, some minerals and wet cardboard. Light bitter flavours with hints of flowers. Medium body. The aftertaste got growing notes of paper pulp and wet cardboard. Some anonymous bitter hints. The finish got more pulp and an unpleasant touch of butyric acid.

The carbonation is mild, the bubbles very mild/smooth. The liquid is somewhat smooth.

Too light, almost watery with some off-flavours. Naah.

2.39/5  rDev -25.1%

A - weird, this poured with nearly 100% head, must've popped it a little too chilly, it formed two heads. One was on top and bright, creamy white, the other a darker tan color and the two rushed towards each other as the beer condensed

S - has a grassy aroma, kind of a musty aroma like a bottle of cold pure sprinf water

T - thinner than i expected, very flavorful and tasty with a light pleasant with a hoppy slightly bitter aftertaste

M - a bit watery, but smooth, not dry at all

D - easily downed, and very light

2.38/5  rDev -25.4%

appearance: pours a clear, light golden yellow with rapid effervescence that dissipates quickly; finger-thick foamy head.

smell: scent of caramel with malty undertone yielding a faintly sweet smell with a faint trace of hops.

taste: beginning provides no discernable taste, progressing into a caramel bittersweet sensation, finishing with a very slightly hoppy, but more bitter finish.

drinkability: not unpleasant, but nothing to keep you coming back for more, may be bitter enough to deter some expecting a more hearty or hoppy ale.

2.37/5  rDev -25.7%

Poured from a nitro-can into a mug. Gorgeous creamy head ended up being about 1 finger thick and never went away. Body is a very clear golden/amber color.

Smell is pretty neutral, slightly flowery.

Taste is very one-noted. Sadly, almost reminded of seltzer water. If I try very hard I get a little bit of malt and hops (more hops than malt), maybe even a hint of banana?

Mouthfeel is quite flat. Seltzer water comes to mind again, but it's not even that carbonated.

The fact that I compared this to seltzer water pretty much sums it up...

2.37/5  rDev -25.7%

This is inferior to the draught. I bought this can because of my draught experience. Looks somewhat similar to its brethern, but head is thinner and smaller. Taste is more metallic, and the sweet biscut flavor is lighter. It is also more bitter.

Boddingtons Pub Ale
Head : Verry nice texture and color ,no taste.
Body : Smooth silky brownish almost tann color, thick and rich.
Taste : Very faint malt flavor with a hints of leather .

Not my can of tea it looks a lot better taste!

2.37/5  rDev -25.7%

From a nitro-can this English Pale Ale pours a thick creamy nearly all head that settles quickly to a 3/4 inch that holds very well. Orange gold with amber highlights visible.

The aroma is not well pronounced. A bit of wheat and faint malt, little else. Even though I wasn't sure what to expect from this selection, I was disappointed.

Flavor wise, it is initially bland. A little wheat and a curious hint of unripe banana in the finish. Faint hints of citrus and cream.

The mouthfeel is this beer's only saving grace (if I had to come up with one). Very creamy and smooth with mild carbonation. Certainly does not merit another can in the near future.

2.36/5  rDev -26%

Appearance: Has a golden color that is crystal clear. Had a fair head to it.

Smell: Kind of bland. Nothing too impressive. There was a little bit of malt aroma, but not much.

Taste: Has a bit of malt, but had no bitter kick. It almost seemed a bit watered down. Not much flavor.

Mouthfeel: Very thin and watery.

Drinkability: It's not horrible. But this is not something I think I would get again.

2.34/5  rDev -26.6%

Appearance: Poured into a regular pint glass from a 1 pint nitro-can, this beer was quite impressive from the start, with nice cascading effect as the beer readies itself, stabilizing with i nice thumb think frothy, foamy head. The beer itself is about the color of iced tea or bourban whiskey, and has no haze.

Smell : What smell? As much as I tried not much aroma came from this baby. There was a slight malt smell but even that was very faint. IMHO it smelled a bit like natural light...

Taste: Nothing to write home about here. No hops, no crispness, not much of anything. That is, unless you count the aftertaste...
Mouthfeel: Well, this beer feels like water. The can says "Smooth and creamy," I say "Not so much."

Drinkabillity: I'm not sure if I'll finish this 4pack, what does that tell you.

2.33/5  rDev -27%

I was told this was one of the better selling beers in England, curious on how it was I bought two 500ml nitro cans with an abv of 4.7%. It says 'Do not shake' on the can, and you better don't.

Unlike what all others have said the beer didn't cascade out of the can for me, however the head is growing insanely quick when you pour it up. The color of the head is light brown and it's very fluffy, it takes a little time for it to sink so you can pour more up. What I first noticed when I tasted this was how little carbonated it was, not my thing at all. The taste isn't that great either, it's whimpy, a bit malty with a roasted touch.

This is not a bitter I can recommend at all, neither of my friends liked it either but my mom said she did, that's always something. ;)

2.33/5  rDev -27%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.5

The initial pour is excellent, probably due to the widget inside; after about 10 seconds, the cascade of bubbles ceases (not a negative quality in and of itself, simply a noticeable lack of sustainable bubble fall).

The color is "at or slightly below par" when compared to the ideal Pale-Golden Ale.

The smell is pleasant. Creamy, soft, and sweet in aroma, but somehow missing that special something.

The taste is somewhat disappointing after the pleasant aroma. Not a "bad" taste per-say, but it is definitely water-esque. (To elaborate again, watery is not necessarily a bad quality. If "easy going down" is what you're looking for, this may be the beer for you! Just not my cup of alcoholic tea.)

Feel: For me, the feel is one the most important qualities of a brew, and this just didn't do it for me. Boddingtons was uncannily smooth. To put it in a different way: it felt so much like water, my first sip was unpleasant.

I don't want to discourage anyone from trying this beer, because I think that this beer *could* be a good match for someone whom is looking for something extremely smooth, soft, and easy.

(Every beer is worth a try. Like I always recommend, try it one time! If you don't like it, so what? You will have experienced something new! :D )

Cheers Mate!

2.32/5  rDev -27.3%

I drank "Boddies" in England by the Gallon - back when it was Independent, and I was young. Since being in the US, I have drunk this three times from the tap (at Heroes in Claremont) for comparitive purposes - hoping it would get better. How can I say this - It didn't !!
Nice head, looks good and its "smooth"...... and thats about it really. Disappointing mouthfeel, lowish carbonation - this beer is both filtered and pasteurised and suffers as a consequence - as well as just being simply too bland for me. Low on malt and bitterness, some fruitiness, but I had to concentrate hard to get this.
As an Englishmen, for me this is a very sad pathetic pale imitation and a shadow of its former exceptionalism in its "independent" glory days. Another great beer ruined by the Macros. That said, as a stand-alone beer, it just barely passes the threshold of acceptability with me.
I prefer to drink American Psuedo-Craft Beers (e.g. Sam Adams) long before this - anyday, and I'm English.

2.32/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

I've always wanted to try this beer since i see it at my local meijer grocery store as well as the high class liqour store i got to. The head was awesome, to put it in very un-eloquent terms, but the flavor did not back up the apperance of the beer. The smell reminded me of cream soda. But the flavor of the beer didn't back up the smell. The beer tasted as if it were flat but the head proved otherwise. My rocomendation, do not try this beer unless you like flat tasting beer.

2.31/5  rDev -27.6%

Pours a clear amber orange with a thick, tight head. Lots of lacing left on the glass.

Smells a little malty and a little floral.

Taste is weak. A small amount of toasty malt and some floral hops, but the entire brew is watery.

The mouthfeel is okay, the nitro-can adds that carbonation that gives it a creamy feel.

This is drinkable because of the non-offensive tastes, but I'm not going to buy this brew in the future.

2.31/5  rDev -27.6%

Pours a hazy and cloudy yellow - living up to the bees on front. Creamy white head pleasant enough.

Smell is slightly grassy with faint honey notes and a slightly unpleasant sour undercurrent.

Taste is much the same - drinkable but slightly unpleasant. In all the beer went down ok with creamy mouthfeel and served at refreshing temperature but wont go there again.

Boddingtons Pub Ale from Boddingtons