Boddingtons Pub Ale - Boddingtons

Boddingtons visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-20-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Boddingtons Pub Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,075 | Hads: 2,556
3.75/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Boddingtons is a beer I wanted to love, mainly since I am an incredibly big Anglophile. However,I liked it. I liked it quite a bit. But like ain't love.

The Boddingtons I had arrived with little to no head. I didn't see it poured so I can't really fault the beer for that. It could have been a bad bartender, which is absolutely possible. The beer looked nice, with a clear golden color.

The aroma is very slight with malt finding its way to the top of the glass. The taste is very clean and creamy with a faint hoppy, bready taste. I've had better bitters and I think the Boddingtons suffers from a lack of hop bitterness. The style doesn't suggest a great amount but a small increase in hops would do wonders.

All in all, this is a good, refreshing beer. I would have no problem drinking it at a pub, especially if it is on tap. (834 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -8.4%

The widget makes the presentation very nice. I love to watch a beer with nitro settle out, and this one leaves a very nice, thick head on top that stays there, and the beer is crystal clear. Its downhill from there though. I smelled it...kinda fruity, a little sweet. I battled through the head to take the first drink, and there's frankly not much to taste. Its quite bland. Mouthfeel is nice..feels thick, but yet there is no malty thickness in the taste. Some bittering is present, so I know its not completely hop-free, but its pretty close. Its not a bad beer at all...its just boring. (590 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -9.7%

Had to try this is a little pub in Pennsylvania. Nitrous head, thick and creamy - that was nice. Smelled floral and wheaty too, and had a nice color. Tasted like water. I kid you not. Just nothing there. No aftertaste either. Was really a suprise, most of these nitrous bitters are kinda strong ... oh well. I wouldn't order it again. (334 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -4.7%

I decided to try Boddingtons based sheerly on the amount we generally sell in a week at work. Nitro can fizzes and the ale pours a frothy honey/gold color. Looks pretty nice, with a guinness-sized head that's just as thick looking. Smells of little malt, mostly a generic beer smell with some hops. Taste is unremarkable, creamy, but little flavor. Hardly any maltiness, but there is a decent hop finish. Very little to recommend in this beer, but it is quite drinkable. Probably won't buy again, due to the fact that there are many more tasty brews out there. (560 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +2.8%

I had this in a London Pub. The beer pours a just barely hazy golden color. As you would expect with a nitro beer, it has a thick, dense head of small bubbles. The head does linger awhile. The aroma is a little light, with some hops and malts coming through. Very smooth taste. It is somewhat sweet, with a lightly bitter finish. (329 characters)

3.46/5  rDev +7.8%

Thanks to my mate Ian, formerly of Her Majesty's Band of the Royal Scots Guards, and native of Manchester, who introduced me to his hometown brew.

I'm still a sucker for the head produced by a nitro can, and Boddies (as Ian calls this beer) have a nice one, a medium amber body, topped with a creamy white nitro head. Great staying power!

Not a complex aroma, just some malty sweetness. Taste is malty as well, with some mild hops as well. It also has some notes of leather and cardboard. I don't know if the mouthfeel can be both thin and creamy at the same time, but that's how I see it. A small finish of mild hops rounds it out.

Not an earthshattering brew, but a solid session beer. This might end up being my lawnmower beer this summer.

Cheers! Go United! (774 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a nice golder color with a thick creamy white head. Not carbonated at all, except for the initial cascade. It has a nice malt/hops balance with a bit more malt than hops. Definately not for a hophead. The drinkibility is so high because I could easily see myself in a pub in Manchester ordering pint after pint of these draughts and never really tiring of the taste. there isnt anything special at first sip, but it is just a good overall beer with mass comsumption in mind. (480 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The Draughtflow system...'releases millions of tiny bubbles'. Well maybe that was the original plan, but this, my final can of the four-pack, has been in my fridge for about a year. The temp is a frosty 35 or so, but I still wondered if this would be drinkable. It was. However, upon opening, I didn't get millions of bubbles, maybe just a few hundred thousand. A very small head, showing its age I reckon.

Smells a little grainy, fruitcake like, at least the candied fruit part. Pale copper color, attractive.

Smooth and creamy, but not heavy or oily. The nitro bubbles have enough effect to make the mouthfeel soft. Light grain taste with a lightly bitter finish. No overpowering flavor components, but I like it just the same. This is the first and only beer I've ever had with the widget setup.

Very drinkable, even after all this time. I'll buy this one again. (874 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +21.2%

Served a hazy bright amber in appearance with a creamy off-white head similar to Guinness. Aroma seemed pretty light. Smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Finish has a citrus-like quality to it with a mild bitterness. Nothing mind-blowing, but just a good, drinkable English pub ale. (275 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +12.1%

This beer poured a golden color. The head was creamy with a white top. The lacing was just so-so on the sides of my mug. It had a fruity aroma to it. It had a bitter taste and it also had a lingering aftertaste. There was nothing outstanding about this particular beer. (269 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +21.5%

Creamy thick white head and golden orange in color. Smooth, creamy mouthfeel. Fruit (grapefruit) and a slight biscuit aroma come across in the nose. Moderate bitterness on the side of the tongue with a grapefruit character. Smooth with pretty subdued flavors overall. The more I drank the more I percieved a biscuity, bready flavor. Quite easily downable as a session beer. (373 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -18.1%

This nitro-can tends to shoot to life once the tab is pulled. Meaning three of the four pack if not in or near a sink, tended to make a mess before the pour. Once you do pour, let the brew settle for a good 60 seconds-plus as the nitro cascades and a creamy white head is made to feel pillow soft on the lip. The beers gold color stands alone, I mean it just stands with little to no carbon activity. The beer looks like its flat. The taste or smell offer little malt or hop. The taste is grainy, grassy or strawlike. Mouthfeel is left dry. The body was abit watery as well. This brew is a sipping beer rather than one to grab for thirst. Just open it by a sink! (662 characters)

3.36/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A nice looking beer. This guy was very smooth, creamy, and really easy to drink. My school's pub serves this on tap, and I really wish I'd gotten around to tasting it earlier. Easily a session beer. It would be nice if it had a bit more malt flavor, and some kind (ANY) kind of smell. (284 characters)

3.46/5  rDev +7.8%

An interesting beer to say the least. I commented to my friends that while Boddington's is not the most complex beer I've ever tasted it just may be the creamiest and for this I give it some respect. I got an awful pour by the bartender at my school bar, but my friends was done correctly and the results were a glorious, fluffy, light head that settled out of the nitro. Good for sessions and as a creamy treat. (412 characters)

3.26/5  rDev +1.6%

Well it looked real good in the glass with the creamy white head sitting on the enticing amber brew. But other than that this beer is nothing special. There is no great smell to grab your attention, maybe just a hint of malt and floral hops. The taste is creamy and smooth with just a hint of hops, but I wouldn't say it's very bitter at all. Overall this is a very smooth and creamy beer that has no spectacular taste. At the same time it's enjoyable enough and it's easy to put back a few. Not usually my first choice at my local pub, but I also would never complain is someone bought me one. (594 characters)

This is the first beer that I’ve tried out of a nitro can and I’ll have to say that I’m impressed. Initial pour is a hazy orange/golden color with a thick creamy white froth. Once the foam settles from the pour, the color is a clear gold topped off with a rich 1-inch head that retains itself through the entire duration. Aromas are malty and sweet. The taste is so mild that I had to ask myself, “This is a Bitter?” It was so smooth and easy to drink. I could definitely see myself drinking several of these in one setting. (529 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +23.4%

I've sampled both draught and nitro cans and quite frankly, not a great deal different. Initially, pale gold in color transforming to dull amber with a billowing, multi-layered head, which begins 3/4 of the way from the bottom of the glass and rapidly rises to create a creamy, frothy white head. Tea and light hop aroma gives way to a mild herbal malt then disappears. If looks are deceiving, the malt body is thinner than it looks. The Light to medium tea with a twist of lemon peel hops remains constant throughout the glass. A smooth and frothy, lick your lips sort of ale. You can’t help gulping. (602 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +8.4%

This is a pretty standard pub brew ale, goes good with all sorts of grub. Went great with my philly cheese steak.
The color is a golden yellow with a slightly amber-brown glow, glass had a small white head about a finger high.
Smells faintly of sweet hop and grains.
Tastes of bread-like malt and balanced in with a bitter dry hop.
Feel is clean, crisp, light, a bit watery, and has a bitter dry finish.
Drinkably good, but was a little flat, I was suprised that out of the tap it wasn't much better than out the can. (522 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +29.3%

A very good pub ale, this is one of my favorites. While out of the nitro can Boddington's is not bad, but the tap is so much better. This is one brew that is appealing in color, aroma, and flavor and, if you can find it at your local haunt, goes with any type of pub grub, from hot to sweet, to whatever.

Truly a classic.

Prost! (334 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +20.9%

I love this stuff right here. It pours a creamy brown color with an excellent head. Once the foam settle it is a nice evenly brown color. It smells delicious and tastes even better. The malts are rich and smooth and the hops are just the right amount of pale flavor. It is very smooth and drinks easy. Like I said, I love this stuff. I can't get enough. (353 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -3.1%

Decent enough pub ale that mimics the Guinness nitro approach. Nicely decorated can contains the zealous mix that will cause the cascading head even before the pour. Cloudy amber coloration and a voluminous head of white cream is the appearance. Ample lacing. Smooth light taste with significant bitterness and a slight metallic edge. A bit too light on body and watery sense though there is a light cream sense. Starts stronger than it finishes. (446 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +22.1%

16 oz. Nitro Can

Appearance: A crystal clear, golden amber beer. The widget produced a super dense and creamy head. The beautiful cascading action settled down into a two-finger head that just sat there. It showed no signs of dissipating at all before I took a drink. Even as I polished off the last drop of liquid, a good finger of head was still present. It left solid sheets of foam stuck to the sides of the glass in its wake.

Smell: The aroma was clean and extremely mild. Too mild, really. There was just a hint of malt and the slightest perception of hops. Occasionally, if I really sniffed, I could detect a mild fruitiness.

Mouthfeel: This beer was creamy smooth and medium-bodied.

Taste. The flavor was almost as mild as the aroma. There was a light malt taste with a bit of citrus bite on the sides of the tongue. A hops bitterness was just barely detectable late in the finish, along with a light sweetness.

Not a powerhouse by any means, but still a pleasant and highly drinkable brew. I sucked this pint down in no time. My rating is based totally on this beers own merits. If I were to look at it compared to other pales/bitters, it would not hold up at all. (1,188 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -15.3%

Hazy amber with a nice white head. Creamy smooth. A bit of a malty sweet with a lack luster bitter. The ending/aftertaste is slightly unpleasant. Better than American macros, but not a super beer by any means. Without the nitro I'm sure this would be just another crappy beer. (276 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -10.9%

This rating is certainly higher than I would afford this beer because of the awesome cascade that accompanies it. It reminded me of some sort of science experiment when I poured it. The beer was a pretty basic light copper ale color, but the cascade was this interesting yellow cloud that sank and then rose in my glass. The smell was overly metallic without much in the way of flavors. Taste was like guiness light, if it existed. Probably the major problem with nitro cans. It had a creamy mouthfeel which masked my preoccupation with the lack of taste. Ohk brew. (565 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -10.9%

Not one of my fav's, but not my least fav. It was a very light pale yellow color, with a short lived foamy white head. I thought it was quite carbonated, maybe just me though. Quite a bitter taste in the beginning, that lead to a bitter aftertaste. I'm usually not a big fan of bitters though. Probably not going to venture into it anymore though. (347 characters)

Boddingtons Pub Ale from Boddingtons