Boddingtons Pub Ale - Boddingtons

Boddingtons visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-20-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Boddingtons Pub Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,075 | Hads: 2,556
3.9/5  rDev +21.5%

Creamy thick white head and golden orange in color. Smooth, creamy mouthfeel. Fruit (grapefruit) and a slight biscuit aroma come across in the nose. Moderate bitterness on the side of the tongue with a grapefruit character. Smooth with pretty subdued flavors overall. The more I drank the more I percieved a biscuity, bready flavor. Quite easily downable as a session beer. (373 characters)

2.63/5  rDev -18.1%

This nitro-can tends to shoot to life once the tab is pulled. Meaning three of the four pack if not in or near a sink, tended to make a mess before the pour. Once you do pour, let the brew settle for a good 60 seconds-plus as the nitro cascades and a creamy white head is made to feel pillow soft on the lip. The beers gold color stands alone, I mean it just stands with little to no carbon activity. The beer looks like its flat. The taste or smell offer little malt or hop. The taste is grainy, grassy or strawlike. Mouthfeel is left dry. The body was abit watery as well. This brew is a sipping beer rather than one to grab for thirst. Just open it by a sink! (662 characters)

3.36/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A nice looking beer. This guy was very smooth, creamy, and really easy to drink. My school's pub serves this on tap, and I really wish I'd gotten around to tasting it earlier. Easily a session beer. It would be nice if it had a bit more malt flavor, and some kind (ANY) kind of smell. (284 characters)

3.46/5  rDev +7.8%

An interesting beer to say the least. I commented to my friends that while Boddington's is not the most complex beer I've ever tasted it just may be the creamiest and for this I give it some respect. I got an awful pour by the bartender at my school bar, but my friends was done correctly and the results were a glorious, fluffy, light head that settled out of the nitro. Good for sessions and as a creamy treat. (412 characters)

3.26/5  rDev +1.6%

Well it looked real good in the glass with the creamy white head sitting on the enticing amber brew. But other than that this beer is nothing special. There is no great smell to grab your attention, maybe just a hint of malt and floral hops. The taste is creamy and smooth with just a hint of hops, but I wouldn't say it's very bitter at all. Overall this is a very smooth and creamy beer that has no spectacular taste. At the same time it's enjoyable enough and it's easy to put back a few. Not usually my first choice at my local pub, but I also would never complain is someone bought me one. (594 characters)

This is the first beer that I’ve tried out of a nitro can and I’ll have to say that I’m impressed. Initial pour is a hazy orange/golden color with a thick creamy white froth. Once the foam settles from the pour, the color is a clear gold topped off with a rich 1-inch head that retains itself through the entire duration. Aromas are malty and sweet. The taste is so mild that I had to ask myself, “This is a Bitter?” It was so smooth and easy to drink. I could definitely see myself drinking several of these in one setting. (529 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +23.4%

I've sampled both draught and nitro cans and quite frankly, not a great deal different. Initially, pale gold in color transforming to dull amber with a billowing, multi-layered head, which begins 3/4 of the way from the bottom of the glass and rapidly rises to create a creamy, frothy white head. Tea and light hop aroma gives way to a mild herbal malt then disappears. If looks are deceiving, the malt body is thinner than it looks. The Light to medium tea with a twist of lemon peel hops remains constant throughout the glass. A smooth and frothy, lick your lips sort of ale. You can’t help gulping. (602 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +8.4%

This is a pretty standard pub brew ale, goes good with all sorts of grub. Went great with my philly cheese steak.
The color is a golden yellow with a slightly amber-brown glow, glass had a small white head about a finger high.
Smells faintly of sweet hop and grains.
Tastes of bread-like malt and balanced in with a bitter dry hop.
Feel is clean, crisp, light, a bit watery, and has a bitter dry finish.
Drinkably good, but was a little flat, I was suprised that out of the tap it wasn't much better than out the can. (522 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +29.3%

A very good pub ale, this is one of my favorites. While out of the nitro can Boddington's is not bad, but the tap is so much better. This is one brew that is appealing in color, aroma, and flavor and, if you can find it at your local haunt, goes with any type of pub grub, from hot to sweet, to whatever.

Truly a classic.

Prost! (334 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +20.9%

I love this stuff right here. It pours a creamy brown color with an excellent head. Once the foam settle it is a nice evenly brown color. It smells delicious and tastes even better. The malts are rich and smooth and the hops are just the right amount of pale flavor. It is very smooth and drinks easy. Like I said, I love this stuff. I can't get enough. (353 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -3.1%

Decent enough pub ale that mimics the Guinness nitro approach. Nicely decorated can contains the zealous mix that will cause the cascading head even before the pour. Cloudy amber coloration and a voluminous head of white cream is the appearance. Ample lacing. Smooth light taste with significant bitterness and a slight metallic edge. A bit too light on body and watery sense though there is a light cream sense. Starts stronger than it finishes. (446 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +22.1%

16 oz. Nitro Can

Appearance: A crystal clear, golden amber beer. The widget produced a super dense and creamy head. The beautiful cascading action settled down into a two-finger head that just sat there. It showed no signs of dissipating at all before I took a drink. Even as I polished off the last drop of liquid, a good finger of head was still present. It left solid sheets of foam stuck to the sides of the glass in its wake.

Smell: The aroma was clean and extremely mild. Too mild, really. There was just a hint of malt and the slightest perception of hops. Occasionally, if I really sniffed, I could detect a mild fruitiness.

Mouthfeel: This beer was creamy smooth and medium-bodied.

Taste. The flavor was almost as mild as the aroma. There was a light malt taste with a bit of citrus bite on the sides of the tongue. A hops bitterness was just barely detectable late in the finish, along with a light sweetness.

Not a powerhouse by any means, but still a pleasant and highly drinkable brew. I sucked this pint down in no time. My rating is based totally on this beers own merits. If I were to look at it compared to other pales/bitters, it would not hold up at all. (1,188 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -15.3%

Hazy amber with a nice white head. Creamy smooth. A bit of a malty sweet with a lack luster bitter. The ending/aftertaste is slightly unpleasant. Better than American macros, but not a super beer by any means. Without the nitro I'm sure this would be just another crappy beer. (276 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -10.9%

This rating is certainly higher than I would afford this beer because of the awesome cascade that accompanies it. It reminded me of some sort of science experiment when I poured it. The beer was a pretty basic light copper ale color, but the cascade was this interesting yellow cloud that sank and then rose in my glass. The smell was overly metallic without much in the way of flavors. Taste was like guiness light, if it existed. Probably the major problem with nitro cans. It had a creamy mouthfeel which masked my preoccupation with the lack of taste. Ohk brew. (565 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -10.9%

Not one of my fav's, but not my least fav. It was a very light pale yellow color, with a short lived foamy white head. I thought it was quite carbonated, maybe just me though. Quite a bitter taste in the beginning, that lead to a bitter aftertaste. I'm usually not a big fan of bitters though. Probably not going to venture into it anymore though. (347 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -3.1%

Average on the taste and average on the entire beer. This is one of the most over-rated ales in the world. It is bland either in a can or on tap, I'm glad there are so many other choices at the bar. It is fizzy, light, a session beer for the English with low ABV. I am not an English beer lover but this one is not worth seeking. (329 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +25.9%

I haven't had this beer in awhile. I don't often enjoy beer from cans, but this was a good experience. I love the pour of this beer. Ultra-creamy with a massive and dense white head which lasted throughout the pint. The color was a pleasing and clear pale gold. There was a nice hop bite that was more noticable than the body of this beer. Despite that, a decent session beer for me with a unique appearance.

10.26.09

Another 4 pack that I couldn't resist. I just crave these nitros once in a blue moon. The can system works for me and i've upgraded a few things on these samples - taste and smell. Tha Appearance is always perfect. Love the slight sour-lemony finish and the light buttery body.

Always a special treat! (722 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -13.4%

This beer wasn't brewed; it was churned -- like butter.

A creamy bit of head puffs out on every can of this I've ever had. Since it invariably ends up splashing on my hands a bit, I can say that it's even got a creamy, textured feel to the touch. The pour offers the cascading effect that you'd expect from a nitro-can beer, and the head floats like a little piece of dense foam. And the beer is a nice golden, almost orange-ish color. Kind of a sunshine tone. Looks beautiful.

Smells mildly of floral hop aromas. Very, very mild taste. Certainly nothing spectacular, but it's so mild that, in some senses, it's appealing at first as an easy beer to drink just for the hell of it.

But oddly enough, it's *so* creamy, that you don't want more than one. On tap or out of the can, as was the most recent serving, I've never been able to finish a second pint. It always begins to turn my stomach -- almost as though I was drinking cream straight from the container. Worth having on occassion, and I can see how folks might absolutely love this beer. But it's not my cup of tea...er, cream...er, beer. (1,105 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -5.3%

Wow, I've never seen that cascading effect in a light colored beer, pretty neat. This brew was sort of a dark golden color with a thick creamy pure white head. Thats probably the best part about this beer. The aroma is sort of lacking, the little smell that is there is sort of grassy, not much else coming through. The taste is very bland imo. If anything maybe a little bit of a hoppy finish, with a slight tinge of bitterness, but it is a struggle to pick it out. This brew has the creamy draught system mouthfeel, but not near the same quality as say Beamish or Guinness. I would not purchase this beer again. (613 characters)

3.36/5  rDev +4.7%

Interesting brew. Orange in color, which suprised me. Lots of malt taste, and you had to really think of hops to taste them. Nice head, lasted til gone, went well with the steak dinner I ordered it with. I recommend it, but nothing really exceptional about it. (260 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured an orange with a big cascading fluffy head. Clean smelling with some flowery and estery scents, but not too much more. Very smooth tasting. Some toasted malt and very mild hops. There is a tea-like aftertaste that I really was not keen on at all. Maybe this is the grain tannins the bros. write of. I'd say this is a good session beer, although I don't know that I'd buy it again. I'm positive there are better pub ales out there like Abbot, etc. (453 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear amber-orange in color with a dense whipped cream like, pure white head. It does that whole "reverse cascade" thing too. Impressive pour.

Aroma is malty and slightly musty. I smell a metallic odor as well.

Taste is malty and dry. The nitro induced head just barely moving out of the way to let a sip through. Overall pretty bland tasting. Finishes dry and bitter.

I know this is supposed to mimic a hand pulled ale in carbonation, but I would have liked some carbonation. Just way too flat for my taste.

I didn't care for it and don't consider this beer very drinkable. Damn impressive pour though. (624 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -6.9%

The pour itself is entertaining, but after the cascade (less pronounced than with a Guinness), you're left with something less than remarkable. A clear, golden ale topped with a tight, impressive cake of foam that looks like freshly whipped cream and ain't going anywhere. Light, crisp grains dominate the weak smell of this beer. Exceedingly smooth and malty taste creates a nicely drinkable beer with a fine mouthfeel. That being said, nothing stands out about the taste, which starts out somewhat bitter and gets sweeter. But this one's a one-trick pony. The smell and taste seem dominated by the foaminess that is concentrated in the persistent head. The beer below brings little to the table. (697 characters)

3.38/5  rDev +5.3%

At first I thought this was going to be a very thick bitter, and it didn't look to tempting. But after it settled and I got my first taste I was not disappointed. The color was a nice golden/orangish type of color. The Froth was creamy and thick. The only bad thing I did notice was when you open the can you get an explosion of beer. This was a bitter sweet brew, with a good smooth taste. A descent beer, that some can enjoy. (427 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +24%

After trying some light beers ( for a diet) luckilly i found out from Bewer Advocate that Bitters such as this have just as little carbs and calories as the Light beers.
Well this is a beautiful beer to behold when poured from the nitro-can..large luscious thick head nice bright copper colour.
Nice scent balanced.
this is a very easy to drink mild bitter..very creamy and smooth..a little kick on the back of the tongue.
good in the mouth
Excellent drinkability..goodbye Lights hello bitters !! (502 characters)

Boddingtons Pub Ale from Boddingtons