Boddingtons Pub Ale - Boddingtons

awful

Boddingtons visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-20-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Boddingtons Pub Ale Alström Bros
2.65/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

No aroma, yellow appearance with such foam, not much taste, just a slight bitterness. Some creaminess, probably owing to gas tap. Passable drink at seasonal party. Bit of sweetness and grassiness. Moderately dry aftertaste. Medium but still watery mouthfeel.

4.08/5  rDev +28.3%

I guess I liked this beer more than most of the reviewers here. But I had the unusual opportunity, out of pure chance, to try this beer twice in two days - once on tap, once in the nitro can. I liked the beer much, much better on tap. The nitro can is good, but I feel these nitro cans are more of a gimmick than a way to provide a better beer experience. The beer from the nitro can is pretty to watch, as the head goes through it's progression. The beer from the tap isn't as pretty, but for me tasted much better. How a beer looks is far, far less important to me than how it tastes.

I like hoppy beers, and while the tap version of the Boddingtons wasn't quite as bitter and hoppy as my favorites, it had enough of a bite to make it interesting. It went well with the food I had, also. The nitro can version seemed far less tasty. Very drinkable, but not as much flavor and hop bite as the tap version.

Bottom line - don't give up on this beer if you only try it in the nitro cans. The tap version is like a whole different beer, and you are likely to enjoy it much more, if you like this style of beer.

3.9/5  rDev +22.6%

Beerookie below does amuch better job of describing the appearnce of a Boddington's Pub Ale poured out of a Nitro can, especially the effects of the widget for the twofold foaming. Good carbonation and lacing as well. No bitterness at all, almost too creamy and mild. This makes it an exceptionally easy pint to drink. Wouldn't mind a bit more hoppiness but no problems overall here.

4.2/5  rDev +32.1%

From the can this beer poured a golden honey color. It produced a about a finger thick lasting head. There was no other evidence of carbonation. The smell was good and malty. The taste had a honey character. It was slightly bitter from the hops, but not too strong. This ale was nice and smooth and light in the mouth, maybe a bit too light...A good ale, not the best I've had, but I sure wouldn't mind downing a few of these!

3.03/5  rDev -4.7%

Bought a widget can, upon opening the can overflowed so it was quickly poured into my awaiting glass. This beer has a very nice amber color to it. The head of the beer completely covers the beer and is very nice looking, it also holds onto the walls of the glass very, very well.

The aroma of the beer is not very strong, but a nice floral smell backed by yeast. The taste is good, very mild though. A very light malt flavor, with a weak hop dominating the flavor. There is a lingering flavor of hops too. As my can blew its top upon opening, the beer is very flat in this sample, so the mouthfeel is rather poor and thin.

Not a bad beer, but not ourstanding either, guess I should resample to get the true measure of it.

Beautiful appearance, pale hazy gold color with a thick creamy head that left my glass sheathed in a thick coating of creamy lace. Head lasted till the last sip. The smell was very faint floral hops but mostly a doughy yeasty smell, not bad at all. Very mild taste, no high or low points, just no real substance in any category. It was good to try again, will keep some around next summer as a good quencher.

4.6/5  rDev +44.7%

A champion beer in every sense of the word. I am surprised at the low ratings for this. It has a wonderful appearance (and I am not a big amber guy) and a perfect head. The taste is toasty and comforting. Probably the best of the more "popular" beers.

2.48/5  rDev -22%

poured a orange copper color with a nice size white head that left some lacing. aroma, malts, caramel, some fruits. flavor not much of anything did get hints of toffee and some bitterness. a little to light on the mouth feel for me.I am just glad I didn't buy this somebody gave a can of this to try.

2.68/5  rDev -15.7%

Appearance: Gorgeous out of the nitro-can. Apart from the initial explosion upon cracking the beer open, (which always happens regardless of how long you let it sit still) the beer pours entirely of head...a thick, creamy head with the consistency of melted ice cream. Starting slowly, the head dissapates in stunning fashion..as the carbonation creates a virtual explosion in the glass itself..and creates quite the visual effect.

Smell: eh, smell is weak and I can't pick up much. Obvious malt smell but nothing that'll blow you away.

Taste: I'll be honest, the first time I tried this beer, I really didn't like the taste. Maybe it was the can, maybe I just hadn't acquired the taste...I don't know. I thought it tasted metallic and cheap. But after trying it again, I appreciate it a lot more and it tastes better than I remember. Still kind of a weak, flat taste to it..

Mouthfeel: Very creamy and smooth finish, but the mouthfeel is rather light. The carbonation is non-existant after the inital pour and it tastes flat after that.

Drinkability: This is a hard beer to categorize here. People have mixed reviews on this..some love it, some hate it...and some are like me. I think it's an interesting and unique beer, but I really can't see myself drinking this very often. Maybe above average drinkability due to the creamy, smooth mouthfeel and light body. I recommend people to at least try it, and I'd love to try it on-tap if I ever got the opportunity.

3.18/5  rDev 0%

Consumed in October 2004 at The Prince of Wales Pub in San Mateo, CA. Spilled about an ounce of it all over the counter after I "thought" I opened it slow enough. Pour was beautiful as most nitro cans do. A huge creamy head the slowly faded but still had a bit left at the end of the glass. Didn't smell much. Maybe a bit like Guinness. Some roasted malts. Not a real strong scent. A bit more carbonation than expected. Tastes of malt, maybe a hop or two and maybe a very very slight fruit taste (lemon?). Still went down very nicely. Kind of an odd taste. A hard to describe taste. Not bad, but just strange. Decent enough brew though.

3.3/5  rDev +3.8%

Chilled can with widget

The widget did its job, the beer pouring a crystal clear pale gold with a super creamy head with bubbles cascading downward, always an interesting sight. The head more than laces the glass, it coats it.

A slight floral aroma along with a just detectable level of maltiness.

This beer is best characterized as smoooth. Not a real exciting beer...medium bitterness. The nitro seems to cover some of the underlying character.

A very easy drinking beer.

3.43/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours out golden colored with a nice, creamy head. Great lacing on the glass as it goes down. Not a huge aroma here at all. Could barely detect anything. Very creamy mouthfeel that coats the palate nicely. A drinkable beer, but not many exciting or interesting characteristics about it.

3.35/5  rDev +5.3%

This is as bad as beer should ever be. That was a compliment.

Though there's something quite cheap in the taste -- something like a sweeter PBR -- there's also a richness in both malt and hops that is distinctly British. Though a little disjointed, Boddington's is precisely pale -- with a taste of fresh malted grain and appropriate bitterness at the beginning and end. The midpalate is bare, however, and unsure of itself. I'm surprised there's such a nice herbal lemon cream presence at the start, such a perfect drying bitterness on the finish, and yet this beer manages to lack any substantial flavor.

In the end, this is truth in advertising -- a pub ale -- and I would be delighted to have it served (hold the nitrogen, please) by any barman. It is among the simplest pleasures I would expect at a British pub. Authenticity is not the question. Boddington's, unlike American macroproduced beer, is not an abomination of beer nor some cheap, just-passing beer style. It is an English pale ale.

Relax, relax.
ng

3.08/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours hazy amber with nice frothy head. Smells skunky with alcohol and malt. Tastes rather bitter with a lot of alcohol. Mouthfeel was smooth, surprisingly compared to the taste. Although I didn't enjoy this beer much at all, I do suppose it was a decent example of the type.

3.58/5  rDev +12.6%

Served on-tap an Conor O'neils in Ann Arbor.

Copper in color, this beer has a fine textured head that lasts all beer long. Lacing is rampant.

Smells faintly of malt.

Tastes a little sweet and then turns a little bitter. Next taste: sweet...bitter. Next: sweet...bitter. It's like a beer teeter-totter.

Mouthfeel is very smooth and creamy. It's like a Guiness but light.

This seems to be a very unique beer. I liked it but I wouldn't search it out.

3.48/5  rDev +9.4%

this beer has a kick. Nice flavor and for what it is it is smooth. the plastic thingy inside is interesting, similar to the guiness tap in bottle. i dont know if it reallt enhances the flavor a lot or if it has a psycological affect more than a real effect. but in any event, it doesent taste bad at all.

3.05/5  rDev -4.1%

Sometimes it seems like all the nitro can products have a similar taste.

These cans blow up every time, so I try to open them over a sink or out of doors with a glass in my other hand.

I don't know if it's the nitrogen or the amount of time it takes Boddingtons to make it across the pond, but the consistency in the product is lacking from 4 pack to 4 pack.

This is a pretty beer to look at, golden yellow with a whacky nitro head.

Smells of apples, malt, with a bit floral.

Taste depends on luck, I've had some that was very smooth and malty, some that tasted rusty- oxidized, metallic. The good batches make me forget about the times I've been burned.

2-12-05

The last 4 times I've had Boddington's it was terrible. I've lowered my scores accordingly. It will be a while before I try again.

2.48/5  rDev -22%

Pours pale gold with a large cascading head, really a wonderful sight to see and more commonly seen on dark stouts. When the cascading settles, you end up with 2 fingers of the creamiest, white head of foam you'd ever hope to see! The head lasts through the entire beer, too.

Unfortunately, this is a case of a truly marvelous head capping a truly mediocre beer!

Smell is weakly malty. Taste, slightly sweet, mildly malty flavor with just a little hint of some hop bitterness. Has a little frutiness to the flavor. Also has a plastic-metallic off flavor that is not pleasant. What mouthfeel there is is provided by the rich foam... the beer itself is flat (virtually no carbonation at all) and watery.

An interesting experience, but when I finished, I did not want another! Try it once for the show!

2.25/5  rDev -29.2%

Unlike other nitro cans, the head on this one began forming as soon as I popped the tab. Good thing I was paying attention because the foam shot out the top and very nearly made a mess of my desktop. Standard nitro pub ale appearance with a cascading 'inverse head'. The beer is bright gold with a healthy dose of orange and the head is a densely creamy disk of dark cream.

The nose is shy to the point of anthropophobia. It's a little pale malty with grainy undertones, but I don't have much to go on. The beer has a strange, almost chemical-like flavor. It starts off grainy with a modest amount of hop bitterness, but then quickly morphs into an unpleasantness that resembles dandelions sprayed with weed killer (although I've never tasted either, alone or in combination).

Really though, it isn't quite as bad as all that. I am able to drink it without wincing, spitting or regurgitating. The mouthfeel is watery in the extreme. The nitro attempts to salvage some degree of smooth creaminess--and does to a certain extent--but the thin, watery makeup is just too much to overcome.

I've had good nitro pub ales and I've had bad nitro pub ales. Count Boddingtons Pub Ale as one of the latter. Thumbs down.

2.9/5  rDev -8.8%

Air poured so very nice rolling affect and great head on this deep brown ale.
Smelled small amounts of coffee and burnt wheat. Rather average and bland.
The taste was mild coffee, small hints of baking chocolate and oatmeal. This is a rather below average attempt at a Beamish.
Smooth mouthfeel, average drinkabilty, I could have it again but I'd rather a Beamish please!

3.55/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

It poured with lots of bubbles forming a light gold cascade the finished in a fairly clear light gold with a decent white head. The smell was pretty well straight up malt. The taste was a nice combination of sweet and bitter. It started out with a blast of sweet creamy beer and finished with a bit of a hoppy edge. It was medium and creamy a real pleasure in the mouth. Definately a possible decision, but not a primary.

1.78/5  rDev -44%

This beer has a cascading settle to it very similar to that of Guinness or Caffreys but the color here is very very gold-yellow. Crayola used to have a crayon color called maize which might describe the color better. There was a time when I used to like a Boddingtons-Guinness black and tan and I am sure glad those days are over.
I tried this beer yesterday (8/21/04) in some taste tournaments of the various beers that were available on tap at a downtown Boston pub. The others we compared and tested (there were 3 of us) were Pilsner Urquel, Harpoon IPA, Smithwicks, Sam Adams blue label, Sam Adams Summer Ale, and Bass. I really thought this was the worst beer of all. Each other beer had something going for it except this one. My friends felt the same way. Bitter and a woody finish but woody in a dirty piece of wood way. Nothing to like about the mouthfeel or drinkability either.

2.5/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Presentation: 1 pint nitro can poured into an English pint glass.

Appearance: Pours with a beautiful cascading effect which initially produces a creamy, pale yellow turbulance within the glass, which after a mimute or two settles to a clean, clear, golden color. The head is decent and lasting.

Aroma: Very clean, with some faint malts and a slight esthery aroma. Not much to speak of at all.

Taste: Just after the initial pour, the beer is smooth and exceptionally creamy. But as the beer sits for a while, it loses this characteristic and becomes flat and watery tasting. To begin with, the carbonation in this beer is minimal to the point of not even being detected. The beer features a crisp hop bitterness that combines with some grainy, malty characteristics. A metallic taste becomes almost cloying in the finish.

Overall: A very subpar English pale ale. Little body and flavor make for a flat, boring, uninspiring beer. Skip this one at all costs.

4.03/5  rDev +26.7%

Dusty golden in color; awesome tight bubbled head (two fingers thick) leaving very fine lace.

Mostly malty, frothy aroma. I detect almost a "freezer" smell. The flavor starts with hop, contrary to the aroma. Although this is a subtler hop bite than some English bitters, it is still there as a soft spoken statement. The malt richness comes forth while hold the liquid in my mouth. After swallowing, the hop bitterness returns but softly. The mouthfeel is similar to whole milk; the carbonation is low, but appropriate.

A nice mild bitter, or is this a hoppy mild? Either way it is a very pleasant beer to have.

4.1/5  rDev +28.9%

Sampled this common brew on tap (nitro). As expected it arrived with a huge super creamy head which dissolved into a smaller creamy head. This brew is all about the mouthfeel. velvet in a glass. Malty nose, sweet malt center. Notes of honey, vanilla, flowers. tasty stuff. Mildly hoppped. Super pleasant summer quaffer.

Boddingtons Pub Ale from Boddingtons