Boddingtons Pub Ale - Boddingtons

Boddingtons visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-20-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Boddingtons Pub Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,075 | Hads: 2,556
4.64/5  rDev +44.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer, is a really creamy beer. The appearance is perfect, I ve never see a beer from can appear like just poured from a pub tap. Taste is a bit weak for the tipe of beer, but terrific if consedered that is in can. Really good, I will fdefinetly buy again! (260 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A - arrived with a thin, creamy head that persisted leaving not so much lacing as much as a sheet of off white foam on the glass. The beer is a clear light golden color. Not bad looking, but the creamy head looks a little odd on a golden colored beer.

S - Not much to speak of.

T - Not much to speak of here either, but it's not bad. Slightly bitter, but no real flavor to go with the bitterness.

M - Creamy. Some say it feels watery, but I didn't get that impression.

O - If you're looking for a sessionable ale with decent presentation and a non-offensive taste you could do a lot worse than this. (603 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -34%

A-pours a clear golden straw color with a creamy white head that persists
S-Very faint hop aroma with some sweet malt presence. Overall pretty low hop aroma
T-very muddled, consisting of hop bitterness that lacks distinct flavors with some malt sweetness, metallic cloying after taste
M-pretty thin and watery, which is surprising since its a nitro can
O-I haven't had a ton of english pale ales but I can tell this falls a bit short. (434 characters)

1.41/5  rDev -56.1%

All this gets in my book is points for appearance. You should probably open this over a sink. Good clear honey brown with a permanent dense foamy head.
From there it becomes an extremely one dimensional beer. Not much aroma. Pale malts and a little honey sweetness. The taste is virtually nonexistent and leaves a metallic aftertaste. Other than the thick creamy head this feels flat and watery. Wouldn't get again (414 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -0.9%

A- pale (pale ale duh!) love the way this beer looks 16oz can with the nitro widget. 2 finger head that clings to one side when drinking.

A- pale malts, butter, mineral water.

T- a smooth flat taste, metal bitter pale malt flavor, with a biscuit butter dash in the end.

M- smooth creamy flavor. best part of the beer is the nirto can that give it great mouthfeel.

O- this beer would problay fall flat if not for the nirto can. its pretty basic with a strange metal malt flavor most of ur bmc,ers would problay get turned off by. but i see what flavor this is here and for the style is pretty good. (601 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +22.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

I like Boddingtons... I really do, but I will say that it is MUCH better on tap than out of those cans. My review is for the draft Boddingtons.

I had Boddingtons the other day at my local English Pub. It pours golden with a large foamy head that sticks around.. the smell is not so great, but it looks impressive. The taste, like the smell is not overwhelmingly impressive due to its simplicity, but is still quite good. But the mouthfeel of this beer makes it one of my favorites... It slides down your throat thickly, like a milkshake, but doesn't leave any lingering bitterness or nasty mouthfeel.

All in all I enjoy Boddingtons, as it is one of the few decent English beers I can get on tap in Southern California. (720 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -19%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

This is my first one

Be careful with this one. The draughtflow system will overfow the can if you do not pour it immediately after cracking the top. There is a small plastic thing in the can to allow a nice head.

This is a very smooth ale. I like it.

The head was creamy and long lasting. It has a near white sheen. Like it

The smell is light and hoppy. I am a porter, english brown ale and stout lover.

The mouthfeel is watery and light with little bite. It has a mild after tast with no clear cut off.

The appearance is light brown or tan.

This is a very creamy and smooth ale that will stay on my list of great beers. (629 characters)

4.21/5  rDev +31.2%

I agree with the below comment. Boddingtons is totally underrated.

This was the beer that got me into English ales, being generally available, even at our local convenience stores and supermarkets here in Hong Kong. Definitely better than Tetley's Smooth Flow, Boddingtons is beautiful to behold, wonderful mouth feel and decent though not spectacular pale ale flavor.

Four times out of five, this is my beer of choice when there aren't any specialty beers available. (469 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +37.4%

This beer is totally underrated and true classic. Maybe it doesn't have the overwhelming taste that a lot of beers have today, which I love by the way, but it's about as good as you're going to get in an English Pub Ale. It's good drinking!

While we're on the subject, they need to bring Caffreys back to the US. (314 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +37.1%

Boddingtons is a classic!

I would say this "cream ale" defines the style with a wonderful mouth-feel well-complimented by the use of nitrogenation of the beer.

Boddingtons is a terrifically easy and refreshing beer to drink for almost any occasion(though it is particularly well-suited for colder weather) (307 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Food Pairing - (1) Grilled cheese with sharp cheddar. Not so great, but the nose of the two combined produced a surprisingly clean, almost appley sensation. (2) Sliced pepperjack cheese was pretty good with this, the spice of the cheese worked better with the beer than I expected. Aftertaste seemed confused though.

A - Desaturated orange. Lovely head as a result of the nitro, ~1 cm. of which remained throughout.
S - Some banana with modeling glue, leather and motor oil. Like a work shop or sporting goods store- environment of the workin' man! Strange for a beer though.
T - Smoooth. Creamy head leads into a light, even, buttery malt flavor. Certainly doesn't overwhelm the senses in any respect which is good, then again, hard to discern any particular flavors since it's all pretty uniform.
M - Bit of a rough, unpleasant metallic tinge remaining in the back of the mouth. Oily throughout. Not refreshing, but it doesn't overwhelm you.
O - Goes down extremely easy. Though it could serve as one, I don't see it as a session beer for me, not quite enough to hold my interest. Probably best paired with a meal rather than drank on its own. (1,147 characters)

3.48/5  rDev +8.4%

My review scores are based on a pull from Champions Pub in Sarasota, FL.

Nice two finger head and deep golden appearance. Good clean taste and creamy mouthfeel with nIce lacing on the glass. Very enjoyable pub beer.

However, I did NOT have the same impression when I have had Boddies from the nitro can. I thought it hat a somewhat bitter and chemical after taste. Not pleasant at all. (387 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -14%

The cascading is just like that of Guinness. This beer has a lot going for it in looks!

This beer I poured from a 40-ish degree can into an imperial pint. You gotta pour it quick as it will overflow. It poured a golden straw color that is very clear below the cascading bubbles and worked its way up as the cascading tapers off and the head decreases. The head was a huge super creamy 3 finger head. Boddingtons says that this effect from the nitro can is supposed to mimic the natural aeration of the classic English pub hand pump. The head dies down to a 1 finger creamy head for the rest of the drink.

The first aroma that I got was banana. Presumable from the hops, but half way through the beer that died away. Now just the underlying aroma of light malt and some grassy or piney hops remain very light. Not overly aromatic. Almost like a lager.

The taste. Hmmmm. Retracing my steps, I get the banana somewhere at the end and before that some metallic or plain old dirt flavors of hops and mild malts. Some people were describing it as metallic, but to me it tastes more like sliding into 3rd base on a dry hot day. It's apparent, but not overly so. If you can look past that its a good beer for having with Indian food. Strong strong indian food.

The mouthfeel is light and watery and not overly pleasant. There is carbonation that you can see visually, but it's not noticeable on the tongue at all. The finish is dry from the hops, but not floral or citrus like in any way, just dry with some peppery notes. Very Flat Mouthfeel.

In fact, I think the flavor and the mouthfeel are both flat. There really aren't many redeeming qualities that I like about this beer. I can session it and it's not horrible. But I most likely given a choice would drink something else. If someone gave them to me for free, I'd do a handstand and sing Gilligan's Island like I would for any free beer! (1,891 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +12.8%

A: I haven't found a better looking beer. It had the signature nitro cascade after pouring, into a nice amber color with a very thick white dense head. The head never goes away.

S: Not much to report on. Slightly bready, maybe some slight citrus hops.

T: Very mild yet expertly balanced. Lots of bready english malts backed up by mostly flavorless bitter hops. Almost tastes slightly watered down, which is a shame.

M: Creamy smooth and perfectly carbonated. Pretty thin despite it's creaminess, very sessionable.

O: If the taste wasn't watered down and subdued, this would be fantastic. As it stands it's a good session ale that has a great mouthfeel and looks nearly perfect. Sometimes that's all I need. (710 characters)

3.21/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Served from nitro can into a pint mug.
A - Nice amber copper color
S - Very faint smell slightly fruity, dominated by piny hops aroma.
T - dry, with a moderately strong hop finish. Not surprisingly the word bitter comes to mind.
M - light mouthfeel. Light carbonation.
O - The taste is lighter than the color. Its OK but not a standout. I'm trying different styles to decide what to brew for the summer and this is the first bitter I've tasted. Easy to drink, but not my favorite style. (486 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a clear amber with a fluffy white smooth nitro head. The smell is slightly sweet with some fruit and very mild toffee. The flavor is malty and quite fruity. Just a touch of bitterness, especially in the finish. The bosy could be a bit thocker. Nothing super special. (272 characters)

3.38/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Nitro can picked up tonight at the COOP... poured into a big ole English Pint glass.. beautiful long lasting off white head atop a polished golden brew.

Aromas are mild English pale malts and some lesser earthy hops.. a little yeasty fruitiness.

Very balanced flavor... low bitterness/definitely balanced toward the pale malts and some background caramel.... middle of the road yeasty fruitiness but more than the nose.. grassy hoppiness is there, but just enough to balance.

Body is light with the expected creaminess ... I don't like nitro beers too much, and I don't personally believe the nitrogen does anything to help the flavor or aromas.

3.75/3.25/3.5/3.25/3.25 (674 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +17.1%

On-tap, Jake's Cigars and Spirits, Lincoln, NE:

Appearance: Milky pour, very thick head of foam. Solid golden, classic appearance. Big fan of the appearance. 5/5

Smell is light, hoppy, sweet. What Budweiser should be. 4/5

Taste: Slightly bitter and hoppy. A little watery at first for my tastes. Lacks complexity. But not bad. 3/5

Sits well in mouth. 4/5 (358 characters)

2.47/5  rDev -23.1%

A- Poured out of the can after a massive hiss into a pint glass. Dark-golden, clear body with a massive cascade of silky nitrogen bubbles which ends up being a head of about one finger with great retention. Nice thick lace spots here and there.

S- Not a ton going on. Light malts, honey sugars, light fruits remind me of white grape/apple and some floral hints. A tiny bit buttery. Strength dies with each minute.

T- Pretty much just like the nose but not as hard to pick up. A good deal of light cracker malts, honey sweetness, caramel, buttery popcorn kernel hints, light fruits like apple/white grape. There is a bit of a floral and herbal thing going on, I guess they added some hops.

MF- Pretty much just feels watery to me. There is a light bit of bubbles but overall it reminds me of almost flat soda. Slight bitterness in the finish.

I don't think the nitro aspect of this beer enhances it in any way. It just feels watery to me and that doesn't help the buttery, popcorn kernel flavor going on. Potential is there but it just doesn't work out for me. (1,063 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -11.2%

Nitro-cans have a flair for the dramatic and even this otherwise conventional looking beer has a terribly grandiose unfolding. After that, however, the clear, toasty golden liquid reveals a pedestrian appearance, despite that its head is big and flamboyant enough for old ladies in Atlanta to wear to church.

The aroma features soft, honeyed malts and a light floral tint, but smells unmistakably like spilled, stale beer. Its only saving grace are the minor traces of sweetness and earthy, English hops. I prefer the smell to the taste but have not made a habit of keeping my nose in the glass.

Only in a world where tastebuds are dead could this be considered worth drinking. The ale becomes borderline off-putting as that impression of stale beer washes over the palate. It tastes somewhat grainy and has a strong note of corn bread. It wouldn't be fair to call it 'foul' but the urge is there.

The texture is starchy in the mouth but turns remarkably watery on the finish. In hindsight it resembles a cloying, light swill lager (and even has the lingering shot of corn syrup to boot). In fact, I think the widget helps hide the fact that this is ostensibly just that: a pedestrian beer made from poor quality ingredients.

Boddingtons is part of my effort to review the least interesting beer ever, and I may have succeeded. It's something that even a turn of the century librarian would find too bland. I can't imagine a situation in which I'd willingly want to drink this beer; unless you're the type to be distracted by cat toys, you'll likely feel the same. (1,572 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -13.7%

I was on a build your own six pack kick, and grabbed a can of this just because of the unique quality I thought it may bring to the table. English beers are generally a little too subdued for me; I love English styles, but I like the American twists to them. However, I always give our bad-teethed, funny talking forebears a chance. They did invent the style, mind you. So I wanted to try this brew.

Appearance - This is not a joke. One of the most impressive presentations I have ever seen out of any beer. Their little carbonator inside the can really works well! Side poured with standard vigor into a pint glass, the head rose to a towering four fingers, then slowly disintegrated to three and then two fingers, about where it stayed for a while. Lacing is like glue, head never went under one finger. So awesome. The definition of what a beer should look like.

Smell - Tiny amounts of hops, a little grain, maybe a honey sweetness note in there. Like English brews typically are, it is very subdued. Nothing is overwhelming

Taste - Awful. It tastes kind of like skunked out American Adjunct Lager. Slick, buttery taste blends with the mild sweetness and some sort of bittering agent to produce an abomination of a taste. Not good at all.

Mouthfeel - Finishes with that bitter kick, and I don't mean a good bitter like hops, IPA's, etc. Just a gross bitter, and butter. Metallic.

Overall - Unfortunately, this beers high point was the pour. For such an impressive looking beverage, it came up short in a big way, like the 2012 USC Trojans. Good looking, no substance. Absolutely awful beer, not recommended for anyone. I ended up having to drain pour it, and that doesn't happen often. (1,694 characters)

2.48/5  rDev -22.7%

Poured from a nitro-can into a pint glass. Reviewed live.

A- Cascading head that dissolved into a finger and a half thick white head. Thick and creamy looking. Clear amber body, and fading carbonation. Soapy lacing.

S- Slight smells. Noble hops, golden malts. Nothing leaps out. Not impressive smelling beer.

T- Creamy, easy drinking but nothing stands out. Just...nothing here really.

M- Creamy and smooth. Just what was intended.

O- Not special. I like nitro-cans though. (482 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +22.4%

Love the mouthfeel and the head. Flavor is smooth and easy to drink. Like to drink it when I want something a bit lighter. Even my best friend likes it and she does not typically like beer. She said it is a better alternative to Bud/Bud Light. Basically it's my go-to for something smooth and easy to drink. (307 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +18.7%

A - love the way the nitro can pours. Using a tall glass, it is great to watch the foam climb up from the bottom toward the creamy white head. Lovely golden color.

S - light floral hop notes, slight malty sweetness.

T - Wonderful balance of mild hops with honey-like sweet malt.

M - Very smooth and creamy with extremely low carbonation.

O - This is a different take on the English ordinary bitter and one that I really like. The hop notes are pleasant, but offset wonderfully by the cream sweet maltiness. I'm sure my rating is going to be significantly higher than the average, but I really believe this is an under-appreciated beer. (641 characters)

3.43/5  rDev +6.9%

i like boddingtons, and i dont care what anyone says about it. pours a nice nitro powered cream color from the can, but it does its thing much faster than a guinness, with the whole cascade process lasting just a few seconds. it settles into a nice honey colored liquid with an inch or so of foamy white head. the nose is pretty basic, and frankly quite bland. some english pale malts and thats about it. flavor is light and balanced, low alcohol, and perfect for sessioning. kind of tastes like a pancake. love the mouthfeel on this the most, it foesnt have much carbonation, almost like a cask pour, except that its cold. its real smooth and milky in texture. i could drink these all day. i know its nothing too exciting in terms of flavor, but its a classic beer in my world. (778 characters)

Boddingtons Pub Ale from Boddingtons