Boddingtons Pub Ale - Boddingtons

Boddingtons visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-20-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Boddingtons Pub Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,075 | Hads: 2,557
4.08/5  rDev +27.1%

Sampled this common brew on tap (nitro). As expected it arrived with a huge super creamy head which dissolved into a smaller creamy head. This brew is all about the mouthfeel. velvet in a glass. Malty nose, sweet malt center. Notes of honey, vanilla, flowers. tasty stuff. Mildly hoppped. Super pleasant summer quaffer. (319 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +27.1%

This is one of my fall back beers. I cannot believe I have not reviewed this yet; I guess it got lost. Having this beer on tap, it's almost like a light Guiness. I do love the Nitro, even though it does not add anything to the actual taste of the beer, it does make it creamy, and it does look terrific. It is so smooth with some buttery/ nut flavor that invites you to drink more of it. This is a great beer to drink at all times, all year round. It is also a good beer to give to someone who is just beginning their venture into the world of real beer. (560 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +27.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Nitro can poured into glass. Thick, cascading carbonation. Settled to an almost 2 finger head. Smelled dry and malty. Malty, dry, not much hop if any noticeable. Creamy, but medium feel not heavy but not watery, no carbonation. I really liked this beer. (253 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +27.7%

Poured from a can with a widget into a pint glass. I've had this many times before, and it's always consistent. Creamy foam on top of pale golden liquid, it looks really tasty. It is too, very creamy and addictive.

Best widget beer I've tried. Recommended. (259 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +27.7%

I've had Boddingtons both out of a nitro-can and nitro-keg, and I've enjoyed it both times. The beer pours with a beautiful swirling cascade that slowly builds to a solid, pale-gold brew on the bottom of the glass and a thick, creamy head on the top.

The aroma has some hop florals to it and a bit of malt as well. It's rather light all-around. The taste has an immediate medium hop and malt flavor that has the characteristic nitrogen sheet to it. It's not too weak, but not too strong either in any of its taste departments. The mouthfeel is a light nitrogenation with a medium/thick creamy taste that is very smooth and enjoyable.

This beer is an all around great draught that can be quaffed by the pint in a good pub or at home. In many other beers I would consider the nitro aspect to be a negative factor, but the easy drinkability of Boddingtons captures the essence of a lighter pub draught in my mind. If I want a good bitter or pale ale, I'll get one. If I want an easy drink that quenches the thirst and palate, I'll order a Boddingtons. (1,050 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +28%

Now that I've had this ale a few times, from the can, not much of a rating difference. I've had a chance to whiff the aroma, and upped the rating a half point, but everything else is still the same. Compared to the on-tap review I did. This ale is very good. Beyond drinkable in my opinion at this time. (303 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +28%

I just love boddingtons on nitro tap. Clear straw with a creamy white head and mild carbonation. Very easy to drink with a soft silken mouthfeel. Soft hay notes, apricots, mild bitterness and low ABV, I could drink this all night. It's not a flavor bomb nor is it supposed to be. It's a very sessionable English pale, and in that, it succeeds in droves. (353 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +28.3%

After watching the ferocious air bubbles from the nitro can subside, I observed a rich golden color that is not quite copper, but looked similar to some lagers I have seen. The head is creamy and tan. The smell is a hardly noticible sweet English-type scent. Though the flavor is quite watered down, I really liked it and it tastes like pure malt. Very mild, sweet, and flat. This beer is very easy to drink and I could probably chug these all night. It would be best to balance this one out with something more bitter because it really does drink like water. (559 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +28.7%

Dense golden/copper color body with a rich and creamy looking head. Light malt aroma with bready notes. A very mellow tasting brew with a sweet malty taste throughout and just enough bitterness in the end. Bready/biscuity aftertaste. Though this beer is light tasting, the mouthfeel is creamy and thick and has a low carbonation. This pairing of a light taste with a heavy mouthfeel adds to the beers complexity and makes it very enjoyable. Also surprisingly refreshing despite the thick and creamy mouthfeel. You can really pound these either on a hot summer day or during a cold night at the pub. A great session beer anytime. (628 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +28.7%

Nice deep darker yellow with thick creamy off-white head. Mildly sweet-malty aroma curbed by some neutral hops. Malty and creamy and rounded with some noble hops. Starts with medium body and finishes a bit fuller. I enjoy these as an easy drinking beer, primarily when there is nothing else "hoppy" available. (309 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +28.7%

Appearance: looks good with a nice orange color, The carbonation goes down when you pour. just looks great.

Smell: A nice clean smell no to strong litely roasted malt

Taste: Light roasted malt, clean hop finish not to bitter, not that strong but very clean.

Mouthfeel: Not as thick as I expected it to be. good carbonation.

Drinkability: I like this beer it is very clean tating especially from a can I would love to try this on nitro tap. (451 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +28.7%

Tried this in a nitro-can. I still don't have the Guinness "perfect pour" down, but these Boddingtons cans makes it a cinch. Pours completely head, settles over the course of 2-3 minutes to a 1/4 inch, very creamy, very sturdy head. Almost pure white in color. The beer itself is a golden, coppery color. Mostly clear, just the slightest hint of opacity. Smell is malty, hoppy, smells very much like an ale. Taste is very similar to the scent, though the unbelievably creamy mouthfeel tricks the mind into sensing more maltiness than is probably there. The mouthfeel is amazing, rich like cream, and amazingly thick for an ale. The drinkability is good. I'm personally not a huge fan of ales in general, so it's not quite my favorite, but the mouthfeel really brings it together quite a bit. I'm sure for an ale lover this would be a must-have. (844 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +28.7%

This bitter came in a nitro can of 440ml and ABV 3.8%. I was really amazed with this beer. Pours a beautiful pale orangy colour topped by a thick creamy white head that did not settle until the last sip. The first thing i noticed with the beer is that it goes down like water... and i mean WATER. Perhaps not the best choice for heavy drinkers but in my humble opinion it goes great with food. Great bitter from UK (414 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +29%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

20 pints of Boddingtons every Friday night...

I've been helplessly in love with this brew since working in Warrington for a summer back in the early 90s. Always my first choice if an establishment carries it. The golden color is amazing and the low carbonation sweet taste is just wonderful to me. Man I wish I had a pint or 10 right now! (340 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +29%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I love this beer as a light drinking with friends beer. Not too sophisticated, just pleasant drinking. It has a creamy feel, with a great flavour. One cannot expect a stout or a Belgian style flavour from this ale, rather expect simple and clean beer taste. (257 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +29.3%

A very good pub ale, this is one of my favorites. While out of the nitro can Boddington's is not bad, but the tap is so much better. This is one brew that is appealing in color, aroma, and flavor and, if you can find it at your local haunt, goes with any type of pub grub, from hot to sweet, to whatever.

Truly a classic.

Prost! (334 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +29.6%

This is my bmc killer; when I want a smooth, cold, somewhat watery beer that I can chug mercilessly, this is it right here. I know that doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement, but to me there are different beers that serve different roles, and this beer fills its role with aplomb. And there's nothing wrong with that. (320 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +29.6%

Fortunately this one is available all over the place on tap. The appearance of this one is so unique and awesome. It fizzes off 3 shaded with dark yellow, pale yellow, and the most enduring white head you've ever seen. Can't be beat. Banana in the nose and the flavor with English bitterness. I get a glass of this one 90% of the time I find it. (345 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +29.9%

I found Boddingtons to be a classy style meaning it is not in your face when drunk.

When poured, it created a cream coloured moussy head. Mouthfeel was full and round, quite plesant. In the glass the beer was dark amber colour with a lot of effervecense. The nose was soft and sweet with hints of toast. A very good malt flavour finished with a slight hint of bitters. (370 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +30.2%

This can contains a "widget" that adds carbonation after it is opened. When poured the head is tremendous. It foams away for a good three minutes and ends up with a small creamy head. Good amount of lacings. In spite of all the active head this is a relativly flat beer carbonation wise. You must like the English beers to enjoy this brew. Nicely bitter, fair amount of hops, very drinkable, a good session ale.
Well worth the experience, a nice beer with a few suprising attributes. Recommended.
Update: 12-12-08
This beer has become one of my favorite go-to beers. I especially like the 4.7% abv which really helps the sessionability of this tasty English beer. IMO this beer is closer to an English Bitter than a pale ale. Whatever, it is a delicious pour. (760 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +30.2%

I found this to be a very nice beer. It was purchased in a can and it contained one of those nitrogen balls that when busted is supposed to release nitrogen into the drink and cause a nice head to form. I found it to work rather nicely and the head was beautiful. Overall, the appearance, smell, taste, mouthfeel, and drinkability was exceptional. This is something I could drink regularly. (390 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +30.2%

Its possible this beer was meant to compliment the nitro pour system. Though its a fairly standard British Pale, it has a wonderful mouth-feel and drinkability due to its rich creamy body and clean taste. The attractive pour in an imperial pint, it sets a nice mood. Though the aroma is quite weak, possibly due to the thick foam, its still nice for the style. The taste is fairly standard, a creamy and malty taste with little hop presence. It certainly compliments fish & chips well, and it is entirely too drinkable. (519 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +30.5%

Boddintons: English pub ale. Very creamy beer. Thick amber color, thick dense head. Incredibly smooth and sweet. Very easy to drink, highly recommended. (156 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +30.8%

From the can this beer poured a golden honey color. It produced a about a finger thick lasting head. There was no other evidence of carbonation. The smell was good and malty. The taste had a honey character. It was slightly bitter from the hops, but not too strong. This ale was nice and smooth and light in the mouth, maybe a bit too light...A good ale, not the best I've had, but I sure wouldn't mind downing a few of these! (426 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +30.8%

Beer bottle (50 cl), tasted in 2000.
Appearance: beer honey colored gold.
Smell: Aromas of grapefruit
Taste and mouthfeel: soft at first, which gradually leads bitterness. Everything happens in the backyard taste: floral
Drinkability: good English ale style pale ale

Review added 10-28-2007, translated from french 1-26-2008. (327 characters)

Boddingtons Pub Ale from Boddingtons