Boddingtons Pub Ale - Boddingtons

awful

Boddingtons visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-20-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Boddingtons Pub Ale Alström Bros
1.5/5  rDev -52.8%

1.53/5  rDev -51.9%

A- Pours nicely. 3/4 inch of head. Pale yellow in color. Looked appetizing.

S- Nothing distinct came out of smelling the beer for me. Comparable to Bud Light or Coors.

T- Watery, not much flavor at all for me. Not much flavor from hops or malt.

M- Light and smooth.

O- The beer was not hard to drink. That being said I did not find much to praise in it.

1.53/5  rDev -51.9%

A: Dark golden color with a huge creamy white head that has great retention and fantastic lacing.

S: There's almost nothing to smell. Maybe a faint hint of grain and a touch of green apple. Other than that, nothing.

T: Dear God, this was bad. It reminded me of licking a penny when you have a cold. There was this metallic taste that seemed to be the only flavor in the beer and even that tasted watered down like crazy. One of the worst I've ever had.

look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Had on tap at the Cock and Bull in Covington, KY.

Appearance: Deep yellow, big head. So yellow it almost looked artificial. No lacing.

Nose: Metallic. That was the initial aroma. Behind that, lemon. Smelled pretty bad.

Taste: Not much. Metallic, lemony. Maybe a little bit of grassy hops.

Mouth: Fat and wet. Not very carbonated. Like drinking a watered doen milkshake.

Drinkibility: Low. I've had this in cans and now on tap and there are few differences. I won't drink this again.

1.55/5  rDev -51.3%

Pours a hazy amber color, with carbonation that rushes to the top to produce a perfect creamy, white fluffy head.

There is a faint floral scent.

The taste is of light toasty malts, a bit sweet and very metallic tasting.

Medium bodied, very smooth and creamy, almost no carbonation at all.

This was difficult to finish, there was almost no taste. Aside from the appearance this was pretty awful.

look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

What the hell was this?

Pours with an interesting widget-y cascade... no problems so far ... but the taste is almost non existent. This is seriously as close to water as I've seen from a non macrolager in a while. Almost no flavor at all: just carbonated water with a hint of skunk. I'm serious, what is up with this beer?

One of the worst beers I've had in a while.

1.6/5  rDev -49.7%

Extremely disappointing. Typical nitro-widget can creamyness, but whatever flavor the beer had was overwhelmed by the nitrogen infusion. What I did get was a fairly bland, slightly metallic flavor with hints of husky tannins. Warming was of no benefit.

1.6/5  rDev -49.7%

Served on nitro in a imperial pint glass.

Appearance: Burnished golden honey color with a thick and creamy white head. Craploads of lacing, but this is to be expected from nitro.

Smell: There is one? Über faint pale malts and herby hoppiness.
Taste: Again, there is one? Am I drinking water here? If you're patient, you can catch some glimpses of pale malt flavor.

Mouthfeel: Light.. oh so light bodied. This is carbonated water. Excuse me.. nitrogenated water.

Drinkability: Well.. this is one sorry ass replacement for Caffrey's. Curse you to hell, Coors! Still, this swill can be slammed home with ease. Stick with Guinness, you at least give off the appearance of looking manly.

1.61/5  rDev -49.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

This is one of the worst beers i have ever tasted.

Appearence: pale gold with a nice creamy cascading head.

Smell: Old grain and caramel malts with metal

Taste: god awful, the malts flavor but the metal can taste overlaps the beer is what i call a 'peasant beer' a beer that is only for looks and shine to the inbev fans everywhere.

i give this beer a 2.25 for it's originality and if you want a true English style 'pub ale' try out Newcastle founders ale or Fullers London Pride

1.63/5  rDev -48.7%

This can was pretty weird. When I opened it the beer began to gush out uncontrollably. I then poured it into a glass, it was a very light yellow color that had a huge head and a some what musty smell. It was very watery and extremley flat. Not a good brew.

1.63/5  rDev -48.7%

Interbev nitro can

Pours okay--bright gold with a nitro head and reverse bubbles.

Smells like sugar and water. Very faint and not very beery.

Tastes like foam and air and little else. There's a hint of honey upfront followed by intense pasturization and almost no aftertaste.

The body is very creamy, but it feels so synthetic that it's actually kind of uncomfortable.

This is like a can full of nitrogen and chemcials. Barely even resembles a beer. I hear this stuff used to be really good, too. What a shame.

1.65/5  rDev -48.1%

Presentation: 1 pint "Draughtflow System" can. Poured into a proper Imperial pint glass.

Appearance: An amber brew with slight chill haze. An amazing cascading effect produces a 1 finger thick perfect nitro-induced creamy white fluffy head that sticks to the glass and never goes away.

Smell: Clean. Faintly floral with dextrins, faint fruity esters and metallic in the aroma.

Taste: Silky. Silky smooth, soft and creamy. Body is medium. A toasty malt sweetness starts of the experience, it's thin though but gets better as the beer warms. Hops are very gentle, not overly bitter, but rather complementary, floral in taste. Hops are also slightly raw and leafy in the feel. There's some coarseness and bitty-ness that follows, along with a strong metallic flavour on the palate. This carries through into the finish as the beer dries up with a mouthful of strong grain tannins and a grain husk/powdery feel.

Notes: Not a dreadfully bad brew. It's rather mild, making it an okay session bitter for fans. However, the metallic and grain tannin aftertaste is a bit much for my palate and rather annoying. The aftertaste literally murders this beer. I wouldn't purchase this beer for my own consumption.

And, too bad about the nitro. Nitro beers, in general, tend to mask a lot of the beers character ... which is why most nitro beers share common characteristics, regardless of their style.

1.68/5  rDev -47.2%

A - poured from the token black and yellow can a perfect head, as per usual, and has a lighter amber colour. not relevant to the style, however.

S - aromas...hmm. Well, I might say that I could blame smelling nothing on my sinuses, but I remedied that problem. I guess then I would say it has, if much of anything, a slight metallic ambiance from the can.

T - very smooth, the head is thick, and I have to agitate the beer in my mouth to effect a stronger bitterness from the hops.

MF - the lack of taste and carbonation leave me wanting to chug the whole glass, as I am thirsty. However, the wateriness is off putting to me, and should not be a characteristic of a beer of this sort, though, their tm 'smooth and creamy' does ring loud, but not to any good effect.

D - very drinkable as mentioned above, but again, too drinkable. It is very much chug-able like a similar nitro-can stout I know and disdain.

1.68/5  rDev -47.2%

The beer looked great. The formation and retention of the head was nice to look at. Unfortunately the liquid was seriously devoid of any recognizable flavor. No hops, no malt, not even a bad flavor, just very,very bland. I have never been a big fan of nitro cans. These were a freebie from a friend so I am not out anything. I am going to try the other two 16oz cans later, if the taste changes I will revise my review. If not I will just look forward to trying something new!

1.7/5  rDev -46.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A - Poured from a nitro-can into a pint glass creating a dense foam from bottom to top. Once settle, a nice thick head of foam that lingered for a few minutes. Looks really interesting.

S - ??? Can you review something that isn't there? I gave it a 2.0 simply because the beer did cause one to gag.

T - Bland. Flat. I can't even pretend to pick a flavor out.

M - Horrible. I'm not gagging, but my mouth is much closer to a frown than a smile.

O - I suppose this is what you get when you hear a beer name on a rerun of Friends. This beer will not be permitted in my fridge, even for temporary storage. Rarely does a beer get poured out....but this one isn't even worth finishing.

1.73/5  rDev -45.6%

Paid out way too much for this stuff. Bland, almost flat tasting. Came in a four pack, was charged Bud Beer case prices. Would not purchase again, even if on sale.

Pale in appearance.
Not much carbonation too speak of.
Very flat tasting, not pleasant on the palate.

1.73/5  rDev -45.6%

1 pint nitro can. The can itself is a bright yellow color with a black bottom. The word Boddingtons is in a horseshoe aorund their symbol, a barrel with gold rims and around those rims are honey bees. I guess their queen or honey is in that barrel, I don't know. The back of the can had some info about the brewery, info about the beer, info about their DraughtFlow system, correct serving temperature, and correct pouring procedure.

When I first popped the tab, it sounded like a snake hissing. HISSSS!! After I gained control of the flow, I poured it into my Brooklyn Brewery pint glass. The beer was this clear amber color with a massive head of white and creamy head of foam. The head of foam still remained during the duration of the beer. Every time it receded, it left plenty of lace in its tracks. Very Nice!

The aroma only had the slightest faint smell of bitter spicy hops and some fruit in the background. Not much going on in the aroma department!

The taste was EXTREMELY watery! That was the initial taste and after that there was only a slightest bit of flavor of just very little malt and very little hops. Sometimes it felt that I was drinking hops flavored water. It wasn't too awful, except for the fact there was nothing going on in the taste.

The mouthfeel is just what I guessed after the taste, very light and very watery. Granted there was a slight bitter aftertaste in there, but only very slight. It's not that noticeable.

Drinkability: Since there was little flavor in this, You can probably chug a couple down if you wanted to. Everything except for the appearance, was just bad. I won't spend another $2 for this beer again.

Photo of
1.75/5  rDev -45%

You rated this beer. Add a review.

1.75/5  rDev -45%

Boddingtons, when you get down to it, is just downright nasty. It looks good. Pours an awesome crème' head with a sort of horse piss looking body. The smell is interesting, a little buttery, but not much else. Taste is just $#@%#^T awkward! It’s creamy, offensive, and bitter at the same time. I keep giving it chances to win me over, but every time I try before I finish a pint it hits my yacking mechanism. It’s much better to start out drinking this, because if you have any other beer before this, it reminds you of milk. The mouthfeel is typical nitro flat fluff. The drinkability is just gross, I still can't get used to it. Don't know how the Brit's drink it, but I gotta hand it to them blokes for staying with it!

1.75/5  rDev -45%

I first tasted Boddingtons Pub Ale about 5 months ago. I held off reviewing this beer in order to try to gain some perspective. I believe that I have.

My overwhelming impression is that this is one weak-ass beer. Water has considerably more flavor. Wait, there is a taste, but it is like dissolving a gram of sugar into a five gallon jug of water. It pours a cascade of foam out of the nitro can and quickly resolves itself into a clear, dark yellow with a very respectable head. There is no appreciable aroma to the common man. Mouthfeel falls right into line with taste. The highlight of this beer is it's drinkability; I could detect no alcohol and could drink this all day...but why would I want to? Boddingtons Pub Ale is not so much a "drain pour" as a "why bother." It is not, however, the worst beer I have ever tasted.

Boddingtons Pub Ale from Boddingtons