Boddingtons Pub Ale - Boddingtons

Boddingtons visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-20-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Boddingtons Pub Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,075 | Hads: 2,554
4.5/5  rDev +40.2%

Boddingtons is an excellent ale. Mellow hops and a creamy body make it light, yet with plenty of flavor. One can detect a little bit of toffee, a slight sour note, and slightly bitter finish (somewhat like the skunky flavor of Heineken). This flurry of flavor combined with low carbonation makes them go down fast. My only complaint is that they only come in 4 packs!

For more on this beer and others check out http://joyofconsumption.com/ (440 characters)

3.36/5  rDev +4.7%

poured into a pint glass

A: on nitro so the initial pour looks beautiful but when it clears it's pretty straight forward clear straw colored laced the glass nicely as a nitro beer should

S: very mild smells up front crackery and bready

T: this hits your tongue and the taste is very muted then you swallow and you pick up some toasted breads and maybe a touch of Carmel

M: I do not like nitro beers much if gives them a flat feel to me but this was creamy, like most beers of this style tend to be

O: while I wouldn't drive to the bar to get this one, I was surprised by the nice finish on the beer other than that the beer is fairly forgettable. (653 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Amber color with a thick thin head that keeps a constant plate.
Tangy fruity aroma with notes of papaya.
Similarly, sweet fruity flavor with notes of papaya, cinnamon, maybe nuts, some corn and a floral hint.
Rather creamy body with mild carbonation. A bit watery when carbonation runs down.
Not sure I would call it the fair Guinness. It is a bit overly sweet and lacks complexity. (383 characters)

Nitro can. Bread with faint herbal, woody hops and mild fruit with a hint of caramel.
Creamy white 1" foam cap floats atop a brilliant amber column.
Light malt flavors suggest nuttiness, a hint of fruit with a slight tartness and dryness on the finish.
Creamy smooth with a medium light body, medium low carbonation with a slight astringency on the finish.
Not exceptional but pleasant and drinkable without much that stands out. (431 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +27.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Nitro can poured into glass. Thick, cascading carbonation. Settled to an almost 2 finger head. Smelled dry and malty. Malty, dry, not much hop if any noticeable. Creamy, but medium feel not heavy but not watery, no carbonation. I really liked this beer. (253 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +9%

Appropriately poured into a pint glass. Beautiful cascading. Super thick and creamy head. Beer is between golden and amber. Very subtle malt characters and sweet caramel aromas. Very smooth and creamy, not too much taste but I actually really like this. It's extremely drinkable. The start with the creamy head is nicely complimented with a watery/smooth finish. (368 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -14.3%

16oz Nitro can with no date poured into an imperial pint glass

Appearance: Pours a clear honey yellow with 1 finger of nitro head

Smell: Some grainy aroma when first poured but once the nitrogen settles, theres little smell with a slight metallic aroma

Taste: Slight malt sweetness but overall really bland with a macro feel

Mouthfeel: Creaminess from the nitro

Overall: Other than the nitro which is a nice gimmick, this is a very bland ale with not much going on. (471 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -30.5%

English Pale Ale. I wanted to try because I always had the American Pale Ale.

The smell of this is great. It's powerful, not too offensive. A little bit of sweetness.

The carbonation is good. I had about 1 finger of head that stays until you finish the glass. So I find it really nice.
About the taste it's really creamy. But on the finish I was really disappointed. When the texture of the creaminess is gone you have like that bang of corny taste.

Would I recommend it ? No, for my part I won't buy again. It's really special. But if you are in England you can still give it a try and see. (597 characters)

Pours from nitro can a golden brew. Creamy head, lots of lacing. Hints of banana. A very smooth and refreshing beer. I almost always have one in my fridge. I sometimes use it to cleanse the mouth after a more complex beer. (223 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +16.8%

The blonde Guiness. Not big on flavor or aroma, but a highly drinkable, smooth character. Possibly a hint of honey hiding in there. Multiple beers easily shared among friends. (178 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +32.4%

I really like this, great flavor, very well rounded. It's not your everyday beer, and you need to pour it and let it settle, or you aren't giving it a fair shake, but I highly recommend it! (197 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Yikes... Is this really considered good beer in England? If so than I am REALLY proud to be an American! Smells like astringent mixed with rubbing alcohol... The taste is awful... Not sure what piss tastes like but I imagine this is pretty close... If I was in a desert and this was the only liquid I had to drink I would rather die of dehydration... Awful... Just plain awful... (381 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Not horrible, just one-dimensional with a somewhat unpleasant aftertaste. Thin, as if a more flavorful ale was watered-down some. That said, Boddy was one of the beers that helped move me away from American macros many years ago, so some credit for that. Unfortunately, there are so many other more flavorful products on the market today. What was interesting 20+ years ago is unremarkable today. I read the review by kerouac from California and I think he nailed it; an easy beer to session. (492 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +35.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Boddingtons has been enjoyed by beer drinkers in England for more than 200 years, and is well known for its creamy head and smooth body.

Boddingtons is a refreshing, smooth beer renowned for its golden colour, full-bodied flavour and malty, moreish taste with smooth, tight creamy head. (287 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -0.6%

It's a fairly nice, fairly flat, ale that is perfect on a warm/hot day (when served cold).

The flavor is mild, the taste is also mild, but, maybe it's just me, it's a great beer for a "session."

This is one beer that, while not up to certain people's hoppy standards, I keep coming back to again and again. It's like an affair with that plain looking mistress who satisfies, at a certain price point, like nobody else can. (424 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +29%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

20 pints of Boddingtons every Friday night...

I've been helplessly in love with this brew since working in Warrington for a summer back in the early 90s. Always my first choice if an establishment carries it. The golden color is amazing and the low carbonation sweet taste is just wonderful to me. Man I wish I had a pint or 10 right now! (340 characters)

3.59/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Purchased at the LCBO for approx. $2.85 for a 473ml can. Served at 5deg C in a tulip glass

A- Nitro can so you get that POP and FIZZ upon opening. Pours with the cascading dissolving of foam is interesting to watch.

S- Pretty good. Nothing special but the sweetness comes through

M- Creamy good. As expected with Nitro cans

O- Very good. Enjoy it better on draught but that is true with almost all the English style ales

Food Pairing.

This nice ale goes well with... potato salad with green onions and radishes

Enjoy (526 characters)

3.71/5  rDev +15.6%

I know this beer tends to get really negative reviews, and out of the can I agree it's not great. However, there is something about this beer on tap that I just absolutely love. There is almost a honey like quality to the taste and it is very drinkable. When I go somewhere and they have this on tap, I will almost always have a couple of pints. I just can't help myself. (371 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -13.7%

16 oz. nitro can poured into a coke glass.

A - Caramel with a touch of orange. Thick head that stays. Good lacing.

S - Some grains.

T - Mild malts, grains, and corn. Sweet going down with a bitter aftertaste.

M - Medium with nice creaminess. A bit watery if it sits over 5-7 minutes.

Overall, I liked this brew. Would have scored a little higher if the bitterness was toned down. (384 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +20.9%

Sampled a little while ago on 4/26/14. Comes is a 1 Pint (16 ounce) nitro-can, Had this one in the past but it has been many years. Can chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a English Pint glass.

Pours darker golden-amber in color with a large head that cascades down to a 1-finger white creamy head due from the 'widget' inside the can. Spotty lacing is seen which each sip. The aroma is of grains but not much else really. The taste starts out VERY smooth with the mild creamy head from the 'widget' followed by grains and yeast. Actually goes down easy and smooth with no bitter or harsh aftertaste. Perfect carbonation of this one. Overall, it's a good brew. (688 characters)

3.21/5  rDev 0%

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: A one finger head formed as the beer cascaded up. It is a pale orange color with good clarity and vision of bubbles coming up through the glass. Frothy laving and puffy head all the way to the bottom of the glass.

Smell: Slightly sweet pale malts, toasted, and herbal hops. Slight metallic smell too.

Taste: Same as above. Nothing over the top and pretty simple.

Mouthfeel: Creamy smooth, medium bodied, low carbonation, and slightly chewy.

Overall: Pretty average and simple EPA. Nitro can is cool though. (549 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

This is not the best beer of all time, sure, but it is getting hit hard on this site!

I just drank one and I'm glad I bought a 4-pack.

Since there have been almost 2000 ratings to date, I'm going to review with respect to them.

A: Darker than you'd expect. Honestly, more head than you'd expect.
S: About what you'd predict. Grains, a bit of grass...not much going on.
T: Better than you think. It's a great cream ale, and if you don't want a cream ale, it's a great dog treat.
M: The creamy mouthfeel of this beer is a real treat. I think this is the least honest category on BA; who can tell me that the mouthfeel of a quad is honestly better than this?
O: If it's on draft and it's happy hour, have one! (711 characters)

3.33/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours translucent honey gold with a full one inch cream head that remains as a thick cap on top and leaves curtains of lace.

The smell is somewhat muted and consists of grains (wheat, barley and corn), very faint grassy hops and some sweet cream aroma.

The flavor too, is somewhat bland: bready grain, faint citrus and sweet cream.

The texture is light bodied with low carbonation.

This is certainly not an awful tasting brew. All the components come across so lightly that the end result feels just slightly thicker and more flavorful than water. (555 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -8.4%

This is a "meh" beer. Basically, I don't hate it. I wouldn't buy it again... BUT, if I went to a friend's house and he was like "sorry bruh, all I got is Boddington's." I would drink it still lol. (196 characters)

3.42/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours nice, caramel-colored, nitro-can, so after a while a fluffy dense white head settles at about one finger, great retention.
Smells of sweet malts, banana, grains, pretty toned down.
Taste of bread dough, lots of grain, banana, some faint apple and lemon, and a bit of caramel sweetness. Faint floral notes, grass, but the finish gets really metallic.
Smooth and creamy, low (to none at all) carbonation, light and easy to drink. Some lingering grains in the aftertaste, but again, coins..
A nice cream ale, some off notes in its taste. (540 characters)

Boddingtons Pub Ale from Boddingtons