2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Boddingtons Pub Ale - Boddingtons

Boddingtons Pub AleBoddingtons Pub Ale

awful

Ratings: 1988

Boddingtons visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-20-2001)
View: Beers (2) |  Events
Ratings: 1,988 | Reviews: 1,033 | Show All Ratings:
BeerResearcher

3.98/5  rDev +24.8%

I've sampled both draught and nitro cans and quite frankly, not a great deal different. Initially, pale gold in color transforming to dull amber with a billowing, multi-layered head, which begins 3/4 of the way from the bottom of the glass and rapidly rises to create a creamy, frothy white head. Tea and light hop aroma gives way to a mild herbal malt then disappears. If looks are deceiving, the malt body is thinner than it looks. The Light to medium tea with a twist of lemon peel hops remains constant throughout the glass. A smooth and frothy, lick your lips sort of ale. You can’t help gulping.

03-30-2003 19:01:19 | More by BeerResearcher
goindownsouth

4.15/5  rDev +30.1%

A very good pub ale, this is one of my favorites. While out of the nitro can Boddington's is not bad, but the tap is so much better. This is one brew that is appealing in color, aroma, and flavor and, if you can find it at your local haunt, goes with any type of pub grub, from hot to sweet, to whatever.

Truly a classic.

Prost!

03-30-2003 09:04:58 | More by goindownsouth
AtLagerHeads

3.15/5  rDev -1.3%

Decent enough pub ale that mimics the Guinness nitro approach. Nicely decorated can contains the zealous mix that will cause the cascading head even before the pour. Cloudy amber coloration and a voluminous head of white cream is the appearance. Ample lacing. Smooth light taste with significant bitterness and a slight metallic edge. A bit too light on body and watery sense though there is a light cream sense. Starts stronger than it finishes.

03-22-2003 18:40:11 | More by AtLagerHeads
Quaffer

Nevada

3.95/5  rDev +23.8%

16 oz. Nitro Can

Appearance: A crystal clear, golden amber beer. The widget produced a super dense and creamy head. The beautiful cascading action settled down into a two-finger head that just sat there. It showed no signs of dissipating at all before I took a drink. Even as I polished off the last drop of liquid, a good finger of head was still present. It left solid sheets of foam stuck to the sides of the glass in its wake.

Smell: The aroma was clean and extremely mild. Too mild, really. There was just a hint of malt and the slightest perception of hops. Occasionally, if I really sniffed, I could detect a mild fruitiness.

Mouthfeel: This beer was creamy smooth and medium-bodied.

Taste. The flavor was almost as mild as the aroma. There was a light malt taste with a bit of citrus bite on the sides of the tongue. A hops bitterness was just barely detectable late in the finish, along with a light sweetness.

Not a powerhouse by any means, but still a pleasant and highly drinkable brew. I sucked this pint down in no time. My rating is based totally on this beers own merits. If I were to look at it compared to other pales/bitters, it would not hold up at all.

03-19-2003 18:42:17 | More by Quaffer
scottum

Vermont

2.73/5  rDev -14.4%

Hazy amber with a nice white head. Creamy smooth. A bit of a malty sweet with a lack luster bitter. The ending/aftertaste is slightly unpleasant. Better than American macros, but not a super beer by any means. Without the nitro I'm sure this would be just another crappy beer.

03-16-2003 19:02:32 | More by scottum
GreatPondBrewer

2.83/5  rDev -11.3%

This rating is certainly higher than I would afford this beer because of the awesome cascade that accompanies it. It reminded me of some sort of science experiment when I poured it. The beer was a pretty basic light copper ale color, but the cascade was this interesting yellow cloud that sank and then rose in my glass. The smell was overly metallic without much in the way of flavors. Taste was like guiness light, if it existed. Probably the major problem with nitro cans. It had a creamy mouthfeel which masked my preoccupation with the lack of taste. Ohk brew.

03-15-2003 12:59:22 | More by GreatPondBrewer
bierman2000

3.1/5  rDev -2.8%

Average on the taste and average on the entire beer. This is one of the most over-rated ales in the world. It is bland either in a can or on tap, I'm glad there are so many other choices at the bar. It is fizzy, light, a session beer for the English with low ABV. I am not an English beer lover but this one is not worth seeking.

03-13-2003 10:20:38 | More by bierman2000
pezoids

4.05/5  rDev +27%

I haven't had this beer in awhile. I don't often enjoy beer from cans, but this was a good experience. I love the pour of this beer. Ultra-creamy with a massive and dense white head which lasted throughout the pint. The color was a pleasing and clear pale gold. There was a nice hop bite that was more noticable than the body of this beer. Despite that, a decent session beer for me with a unique appearance.

10.26.09

Another 4 pack that I couldn't resist. I just crave these nitros once in a blue moon. The can system works for me and i've upgraded a few things on these samples - taste and smell. Tha Appearance is always perfect. Love the slight sour-lemony finish and the light buttery body.

Always a special treat!

03-13-2003 09:25:24 | More by pezoids
marburg

2.78/5  rDev -12.9%

This beer wasn't brewed; it was churned -- like butter.

A creamy bit of head puffs out on every can of this I've ever had. Since it invariably ends up splashing on my hands a bit, I can say that it's even got a creamy, textured feel to the touch. The pour offers the cascading effect that you'd expect from a nitro-can beer, and the head floats like a little piece of dense foam. And the beer is a nice golden, almost orange-ish color. Kind of a sunshine tone. Looks beautiful.

Smells mildly of floral hop aromas. Very, very mild taste. Certainly nothing spectacular, but it's so mild that, in some senses, it's appealing at first as an easy beer to drink just for the hell of it.

But oddly enough, it's *so* creamy, that you don't want more than one. On tap or out of the can, as was the most recent serving, I've never been able to finish a second pint. It always begins to turn my stomach -- almost as though I was drinking cream straight from the container. Worth having on occassion, and I can see how folks might absolutely love this beer. But it's not my cup of tea...er, cream...er, beer.

03-06-2003 10:11:19 | More by marburg
Bruiser81

Kansas

3.03/5  rDev -5%

Wow, I've never seen that cascading effect in a light colored beer, pretty neat. This brew was sort of a dark golden color with a thick creamy pure white head. Thats probably the best part about this beer. The aroma is sort of lacking, the little smell that is there is sort of grassy, not much else coming through. The taste is very bland imo. If anything maybe a little bit of a hoppy finish, with a slight tinge of bitterness, but it is a struggle to pick it out. This brew has the creamy draught system mouthfeel, but not near the same quality as say Beamish or Guinness. I would not purchase this beer again.

03-02-2003 13:27:41 | More by Bruiser81
Fabric8r

Montana

3.38/5  rDev +6%

Interesting brew. Orange in color, which suprised me. Lots of malt taste, and you had to really think of hops to taste them. Nice head, lasted til gone, went well with the steak dinner I ordered it with. I recommend it, but nothing really exceptional about it.

02-19-2003 11:18:12 | More by Fabric8r
Admiraldinty

3.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured an orange with a big cascading fluffy head. Clean smelling with some flowery and estery scents, but not too much more. Very smooth tasting. Some toasted malt and very mild hops. There is a tea-like aftertaste that I really was not keen on at all. Maybe this is the grain tannins the bros. write of. I'd say this is a good session beer, although I don't know that I'd buy it again. I'm positive there are better pub ales out there like Abbot, etc.

02-13-2003 19:36:11 | More by Admiraldinty
cretemixer

Indiana

2.63/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear amber-orange in color with a dense whipped cream like, pure white head. It does that whole "reverse cascade" thing too. Impressive pour.

Aroma is malty and slightly musty. I smell a metallic odor as well.

Taste is malty and dry. The nitro induced head just barely moving out of the way to let a sip through. Overall pretty bland tasting. Finishes dry and bitter.

I know this is supposed to mimic a hand pulled ale in carbonation, but I would have liked some carbonation. Just way too flat for my taste.

I didn't care for it and don't consider this beer very drinkable. Damn impressive pour though.

02-11-2003 19:52:26 | More by cretemixer
BitteBier

Indiana

2.98/5  rDev -6.6%

The pour itself is entertaining, but after the cascade (less pronounced than with a Guinness), you're left with something less than remarkable. A clear, golden ale topped with a tight, impressive cake of foam that looks like freshly whipped cream and ain't going anywhere. Light, crisp grains dominate the weak smell of this beer. Exceedingly smooth and malty taste creates a nicely drinkable beer with a fine mouthfeel. That being said, nothing stands out about the taste, which starts out somewhat bitter and gets sweeter. But this one's a one-trick pony. The smell and taste seem dominated by the foaminess that is concentrated in the persistent head. The beer below brings little to the table.

02-08-2003 12:23:31 | More by BitteBier
Running4beer

3.4/5  rDev +6.6%

At first I thought this was going to be a very thick bitter, and it didn't look to tempting. But after it settled and I got my first taste I was not disappointed. The color was a nice golden/orangish type of color. The Froth was creamy and thick. The only bad thing I did notice was when you open the can you get an explosion of beer. This was a bitter sweet brew, with a good smooth taste. A descent beer, that some can enjoy.

02-03-2003 14:50:14 | More by Running4beer
Reidrover

Oregon

3.98/5  rDev +24.8%

After trying some light beers ( for a diet) luckilly i found out from Bewer Advocate that Bitters such as this have just as little carbs and calories as the Light beers.
Well this is a beautiful beer to behold when poured from the nitro-can..large luscious thick head nice bright copper colour.
Nice scent balanced.
this is a very easy to drink mild bitter..very creamy and smooth..a little kick on the back of the tongue.
good in the mouth
Excellent drinkability..goodbye Lights hello bitters !!

02-01-2003 21:37:49 | More by Reidrover
ipogios

Cyprus

4.13/5  rDev +29.5%

This bitter came in a nitro can of 440ml and ABV 3.8%. I was really amazed with this beer. Pours a beautiful pale orangy colour topped by a thick creamy white head that did not settle until the last sip. The first thing i noticed with the beer is that it goes down like water... and i mean WATER. Perhaps not the best choice for heavy drinkers but in my humble opinion it goes great with food. Great bitter from UK

02-01-2003 14:39:25 | More by ipogios
Rocko

Sweden

2.23/5  rDev -30.1%

I was told this was one of the better selling beers in England, curious on how it was I bought two 500ml nitro cans with an abv of 4.7%. It says 'Do not shake' on the can, and you better don't.

Unlike what all others have said the beer didn't cascade out of the can for me, however the head is growing insanely quick when you pour it up. The color of the head is light brown and it's very fluffy, it takes a little time for it to sink so you can pour more up. What I first noticed when I tasted this was how little carbonated it was, not my thing at all. The taste isn't that great either, it's whimpy, a bit malty with a roasted touch.

This is not a bitter I can recommend at all, neither of my friends liked it either but my mom said she did, that's always something. ;)

02-01-2003 03:00:01 | More by Rocko
SaunaKing

Ontario (Canada)

3.13/5  rDev -1.9%

My Boddingtons came out of a 500ml can brewed in England. The colour was amber and the head was very dense & creamy although it died down a little faster than expected. Aroma is ok, smells a little like bread.

The taste is rather bland but not bad. Drinkablity is higher because of this blandness - you could easily drink lots of these.

Serving type: can

01-30-2003 09:20:30 | More by SaunaKing
Morris729

3.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a deep amber color with a creamy white head that stays until the end. Nose is floral hops with some notes of fresh grains. Taste is lightly toasted grains with strong notes of hop resins and grain husks. Fairly heavy in the mouth. Bitter hop resins and tannins are present in the aftertaste. A decent beer, but somewhat overpowering.

01-17-2003 17:39:37 | More by Morris729
Shiloh

Ontario (Canada)

3.45/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This beer was not what I expected.....I liked it.......Nice golden colour with a crowning glory that just does not quit, I found the taste to be very unique, is it me or does this brew taste like grapefruit? I would recomend this brew to anyone.......

01-11-2003 15:20:25 | More by Shiloh
mjohn27603

3.1/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours clear with a darker golden yellow color than most American pilsners. Brilliant white head forms rising out of the rising top of beer with extremely small bubbles of carbonation. You are familiar with this pour if you have ever had any nitro can. I can't pick up much aroma. The taste is very subtle. This beer is mostly a delivery device for the creamy mouthfeel you get. Very low carbonation present in the beer. If this is a bitter you would hardly know it. $1.69 a can. Nothing objectionable, just nothing to bring me back unless I wanted to use this as a session beer in between something stronger.

12-19-2002 18:19:34 | More by mjohn27603
jtw5877

3.8/5  rDev +19.1%

After a small explosion it pours a nice golden color (at least through my beer covered glasses that's what it looks like). After cleaning my glasses off I admired the excellent head on this brew. Nice and solid ale, with a little bit of honey sweetness. As far as I can tell this is a great session beer. no overwhelming bitterness or heaviness. The only fault I can see is that the can almost exploded when I opened it.

11-23-2002 16:51:07 | More by jtw5877
Kwak

2.33/5  rDev -27%

Boddingtons Pub Ale
Head : Verry nice texture and color ,no taste.
Body : Smooth silky brownish almost tann color, thick and rich.
Taste : Very faint malt flavor with a hints of leather .

Not my can of tea it looks a lot better taste!

Serving type: can

11-22-2002 21:44:22 | More by Kwak
TAMU99

Guam

4.05/5  rDev +27%

Wow. Despite the foaming out of the can after you crack it, this is a good beer. The sweet hoppy smell gets to you quickly. It pours a nice amber color with that great thick foam that seems to cascade down the inside of the glass as the head dissipates. However, a moderate head lasted all the way to the end.
Light on the carbonation, tastes sweet with a bitter ale finish. Overall a very smooth mouthfell. The bitterness is the only drawback - decreases it's drinkability.

I truly enjoyed this one. What a surprise, who'd have thought this funky yellow can had such a good ale inside!

High recommendation.