Boddingtons Pub Ale - Boddingtons

Boddingtons visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-20-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Boddingtons Pub Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,075 | Hads: 2,556
3.11/5  rDev -3.1%

Average on the taste and average on the entire beer. This is one of the most over-rated ales in the world. It is bland either in a can or on tap, I'm glad there are so many other choices at the bar. It is fizzy, light, a session beer for the English with low ABV. I am not an English beer lover but this one is not worth seeking. (329 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +25.9%

I haven't had this beer in awhile. I don't often enjoy beer from cans, but this was a good experience. I love the pour of this beer. Ultra-creamy with a massive and dense white head which lasted throughout the pint. The color was a pleasing and clear pale gold. There was a nice hop bite that was more noticable than the body of this beer. Despite that, a decent session beer for me with a unique appearance.

10.26.09

Another 4 pack that I couldn't resist. I just crave these nitros once in a blue moon. The can system works for me and i've upgraded a few things on these samples - taste and smell. Tha Appearance is always perfect. Love the slight sour-lemony finish and the light buttery body.

Always a special treat! (722 characters)

2.78/5  rDev -13.4%

This beer wasn't brewed; it was churned -- like butter.

A creamy bit of head puffs out on every can of this I've ever had. Since it invariably ends up splashing on my hands a bit, I can say that it's even got a creamy, textured feel to the touch. The pour offers the cascading effect that you'd expect from a nitro-can beer, and the head floats like a little piece of dense foam. And the beer is a nice golden, almost orange-ish color. Kind of a sunshine tone. Looks beautiful.

Smells mildly of floral hop aromas. Very, very mild taste. Certainly nothing spectacular, but it's so mild that, in some senses, it's appealing at first as an easy beer to drink just for the hell of it.

But oddly enough, it's *so* creamy, that you don't want more than one. On tap or out of the can, as was the most recent serving, I've never been able to finish a second pint. It always begins to turn my stomach -- almost as though I was drinking cream straight from the container. Worth having on occassion, and I can see how folks might absolutely love this beer. But it's not my cup of tea...er, cream...er, beer. (1,105 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -5.3%

Wow, I've never seen that cascading effect in a light colored beer, pretty neat. This brew was sort of a dark golden color with a thick creamy pure white head. Thats probably the best part about this beer. The aroma is sort of lacking, the little smell that is there is sort of grassy, not much else coming through. The taste is very bland imo. If anything maybe a little bit of a hoppy finish, with a slight tinge of bitterness, but it is a struggle to pick it out. This brew has the creamy draught system mouthfeel, but not near the same quality as say Beamish or Guinness. I would not purchase this beer again. (613 characters)

3.36/5  rDev +4.7%

Interesting brew. Orange in color, which suprised me. Lots of malt taste, and you had to really think of hops to taste them. Nice head, lasted til gone, went well with the steak dinner I ordered it with. I recommend it, but nothing really exceptional about it. (260 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured an orange with a big cascading fluffy head. Clean smelling with some flowery and estery scents, but not too much more. Very smooth tasting. Some toasted malt and very mild hops. There is a tea-like aftertaste that I really was not keen on at all. Maybe this is the grain tannins the bros. write of. I'd say this is a good session beer, although I don't know that I'd buy it again. I'm positive there are better pub ales out there like Abbot, etc. (453 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear amber-orange in color with a dense whipped cream like, pure white head. It does that whole "reverse cascade" thing too. Impressive pour.

Aroma is malty and slightly musty. I smell a metallic odor as well.

Taste is malty and dry. The nitro induced head just barely moving out of the way to let a sip through. Overall pretty bland tasting. Finishes dry and bitter.

I know this is supposed to mimic a hand pulled ale in carbonation, but I would have liked some carbonation. Just way too flat for my taste.

I didn't care for it and don't consider this beer very drinkable. Damn impressive pour though. (624 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -6.9%

The pour itself is entertaining, but after the cascade (less pronounced than with a Guinness), you're left with something less than remarkable. A clear, golden ale topped with a tight, impressive cake of foam that looks like freshly whipped cream and ain't going anywhere. Light, crisp grains dominate the weak smell of this beer. Exceedingly smooth and malty taste creates a nicely drinkable beer with a fine mouthfeel. That being said, nothing stands out about the taste, which starts out somewhat bitter and gets sweeter. But this one's a one-trick pony. The smell and taste seem dominated by the foaminess that is concentrated in the persistent head. The beer below brings little to the table. (697 characters)

3.38/5  rDev +5.3%

At first I thought this was going to be a very thick bitter, and it didn't look to tempting. But after it settled and I got my first taste I was not disappointed. The color was a nice golden/orangish type of color. The Froth was creamy and thick. The only bad thing I did notice was when you open the can you get an explosion of beer. This was a bitter sweet brew, with a good smooth taste. A descent beer, that some can enjoy. (427 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +24%

After trying some light beers ( for a diet) luckilly i found out from Bewer Advocate that Bitters such as this have just as little carbs and calories as the Light beers.
Well this is a beautiful beer to behold when poured from the nitro-can..large luscious thick head nice bright copper colour.
Nice scent balanced.
this is a very easy to drink mild bitter..very creamy and smooth..a little kick on the back of the tongue.
good in the mouth
Excellent drinkability..goodbye Lights hello bitters !! (502 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +28.7%

This bitter came in a nitro can of 440ml and ABV 3.8%. I was really amazed with this beer. Pours a beautiful pale orangy colour topped by a thick creamy white head that did not settle until the last sip. The first thing i noticed with the beer is that it goes down like water... and i mean WATER. Perhaps not the best choice for heavy drinkers but in my humble opinion it goes great with food. Great bitter from UK (414 characters)

2.33/5  rDev -27.4%

I was told this was one of the better selling beers in England, curious on how it was I bought two 500ml nitro cans with an abv of 4.7%. It says 'Do not shake' on the can, and you better don't.

Unlike what all others have said the beer didn't cascade out of the can for me, however the head is growing insanely quick when you pour it up. The color of the head is light brown and it's very fluffy, it takes a little time for it to sink so you can pour more up. What I first noticed when I tasted this was how little carbonated it was, not my thing at all. The taste isn't that great either, it's whimpy, a bit malty with a roasted touch.

This is not a bitter I can recommend at all, neither of my friends liked it either but my mom said she did, that's always something. ;) (779 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -2.5%

My Boddingtons came out of a 500ml can brewed in England. The colour was amber and the head was very dense & creamy although it died down a little faster than expected. Aroma is ok, smells a little like bread.

The taste is rather bland but not bad. Drinkablity is higher because of this blandness - you could easily drink lots of these. (339 characters)

3.26/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours a deep amber color with a creamy white head that stays until the end. Nose is floral hops with some notes of fresh grains. Taste is lightly toasted grains with strong notes of hop resins and grain husks. Fairly heavy in the mouth. Bitter hop resins and tannins are present in the aftertaste. A decent beer, but somewhat overpowering. (339 characters)

3.45/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This beer was not what I expected.....I liked it.......Nice golden colour with a crowning glory that just does not quit, I found the taste to be very unique, is it me or does this brew taste like grapefruit? I would recomend this brew to anyone....... (251 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -4%

Pours clear with a darker golden yellow color than most American pilsners. Brilliant white head forms rising out of the rising top of beer with extremely small bubbles of carbonation. You are familiar with this pour if you have ever had any nitro can. I can't pick up much aroma. The taste is very subtle. This beer is mostly a delivery device for the creamy mouthfeel you get. Very low carbonation present in the beer. If this is a bitter you would hardly know it. $1.69 a can. Nothing objectionable, just nothing to bring me back unless I wanted to use this as a session beer in between something stronger. (608 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +19.3%

After a small explosion it pours a nice golden color (at least through my beer covered glasses that's what it looks like). After cleaning my glasses off I admired the excellent head on this brew. Nice and solid ale, with a little bit of honey sweetness. As far as I can tell this is a great session beer. no overwhelming bitterness or heaviness. The only fault I can see is that the can almost exploded when I opened it. (420 characters)

2.37/5  rDev -26.2%

Boddingtons Pub Ale
Head : Verry nice texture and color ,no taste.
Body : Smooth silky brownish almost tann color, thick and rich.
Taste : Very faint malt flavor with a hints of leather .

Not my can of tea it looks a lot better taste! (241 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +26.8%

Wow. Despite the foaming out of the can after you crack it, this is a good beer. The sweet hoppy smell gets to you quickly. It pours a nice amber color with that great thick foam that seems to cascade down the inside of the glass as the head dissipates. However, a moderate head lasted all the way to the end.
Light on the carbonation, tastes sweet with a bitter ale finish. Overall a very smooth mouthfell. The bitterness is the only drawback - decreases it's drinkability.

I truly enjoyed this one. What a surprise, who'd have thought this funky yellow can had such a good ale inside!

High recommendation. (624 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -27.7%

I drank "Boddies" in England by the Gallon - back when it was Independent, and I was young. Since being in the US, I have drunk this three times from the tap (at Heroes in Claremont) for comparitive purposes - hoping it would get better. How can I say this - It didn't !!
Nice head, looks good and its "smooth"...... and thats about it really. Disappointing mouthfeel, lowish carbonation - this beer is both filtered and pasteurised and suffers as a consequence - as well as just being simply too bland for me. Low on malt and bitterness, some fruitiness, but I had to concentrate hard to get this.
As an Englishmen, for me this is a very sad pathetic pale imitation and a shadow of its former exceptionalism in its "independent" glory days. Another great beer ruined by the Macros. That said, as a stand-alone beer, it just barely passes the threshold of acceptability with me.
I prefer to drink American Psuedo-Craft Beers (e.g. Sam Adams) long before this - anyday, and I'm English. (990 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +13.7%

Bright orangish-yellow with whipped cream on top. There is a more plant-like quality to this beer vis a vis Ruddles County. Orange tree branches, herbal tea (red zinger) etc. The flavors are balanced with sufficient bitterness to sharpen and focus the creamy texture. There is a twang of tart lemon pith too. A refresher and suitable for fish'n chips. (351 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Liking the taste of Boddington on tap, I decided to try the nitro-draught. Upon opening the can, the beer came out right away. As I poured it into a glass, the head became larger then the liquid. I waited for the beer to settle, then I took a sip of the yellowish liquid. This ruined Boddington for me. It had very little taste, almost a completely different beer. I will continue to drink Boddington on tap, but this is not the same beer. (439 characters)

2.77/5  rDev -13.7%

Somewhat of a gusher of a can when first opened, clarity and head is great. Clean floral and mildly estery aroma and flavour. Thin malt with one simple flavour throughout. Flavours are flat and seem not to meld together well in an odd processed way. This is not my can of beer. (277 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Its worth trying this beer to just watch the pour. It has a head that goes on and on and on. But after the pour it goes downhill. Hardly andy aroma to wet your tastebuds and it was a very bland and like a previous post said boring beer......CHEERS (250 characters)

3.28/5  rDev +2.2%

Another good widget beer. I thought this could be Caffrey's twin brother so I am rating it exactly the same. Similar bronze color, creamy, somewhat flavorless Ale. (163 characters)

Boddingtons Pub Ale from Boddingtons