2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Boddingtons Pub Ale - Boddingtons

Boddingtons Pub AleBoddingtons Pub Ale

awful

Ratings: 1988

Boddingtons visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 10-20-2001)
View: Beers (2) |  Events
Ratings: 1,988 | Reviews: 1,033 | Show All Ratings:
EmoBeerGuy

New Hampshire

3.48/5  rDev +9.1%

An interesting beer to say the least. I commented to my friends that while Boddington's is not the most complex beer I've ever tasted it just may be the creamiest and for this I give it some respect. I got an awful pour by the bartender at my school bar, but my friends was done correctly and the results were a glorious, fluffy, light head that settled out of the nitro. Good for sessions and as a creamy treat.

04-03-2003 06:10:52 | More by EmoBeerGuy
BittRnessabounds

Colorado

3.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Well it looked real good in the glass with the creamy white head sitting on the enticing amber brew. But other than that this beer is nothing special. There is no great smell to grab your attention, maybe just a hint of malt and floral hops. The taste is creamy and smooth with just a hint of hops, but I wouldn't say it's very bitter at all. Overall this is a very smooth and creamy beer that has no spectacular taste. At the same time it's enjoyable enough and it's easy to put back a few. Not usually my first choice at my local pub, but I also would never complain is someone bought me one.

04-02-2003 22:12:22 | More by BittRnessabounds
BeerResearcher

3.98/5  rDev +24.8%

I've sampled both draught and nitro cans and quite frankly, not a great deal different. Initially, pale gold in color transforming to dull amber with a billowing, multi-layered head, which begins 3/4 of the way from the bottom of the glass and rapidly rises to create a creamy, frothy white head. Tea and light hop aroma gives way to a mild herbal malt then disappears. If looks are deceiving, the malt body is thinner than it looks. The Light to medium tea with a twist of lemon peel hops remains constant throughout the glass. A smooth and frothy, lick your lips sort of ale. You can’t help gulping.

03-30-2003 19:01:19 | More by BeerResearcher
tavernjef

3.48/5  rDev +9.1%

This is a pretty standard pub brew ale, goes good with all sorts of grub. Went great with my philly cheese steak.
The color is a golden yellow with a slightly amber-brown glow, glass had a small white head about a finger high.
Smells faintly of sweet hop and grains.
Tastes of bread-like malt and balanced in with a bitter dry hop.
Feel is clean, crisp, light, a bit watery, and has a bitter dry finish.
Drinkably good, but was a little flat, I was suprised that out of the tap it wasn't much better than out the can.

03-30-2003 10:05:33 | More by tavernjef
goindownsouth

4.15/5  rDev +30.1%

A very good pub ale, this is one of my favorites. While out of the nitro can Boddington's is not bad, but the tap is so much better. This is one brew that is appealing in color, aroma, and flavor and, if you can find it at your local haunt, goes with any type of pub grub, from hot to sweet, to whatever.

Truly a classic.

Prost!

03-30-2003 09:04:58 | More by goindownsouth
tang214

3.9/5  rDev +22.3%

I love this stuff right here. It pours a creamy brown color with an excellent head. Once the foam settle it is a nice evenly brown color. It smells delicious and tastes even better. The malts are rich and smooth and the hops are just the right amount of pale flavor. It is very smooth and drinks easy. Like I said, I love this stuff. I can't get enough.

03-24-2003 15:02:31 | More by tang214
scottum

Vermont

2.73/5  rDev -14.4%

Hazy amber with a nice white head. Creamy smooth. A bit of a malty sweet with a lack luster bitter. The ending/aftertaste is slightly unpleasant. Better than American macros, but not a super beer by any means. Without the nitro I'm sure this would be just another crappy beer.

03-16-2003 19:02:32 | More by scottum
JISurfer

South Carolina

2.88/5  rDev -9.7%

Not one of my fav's, but not my least fav. It was a very light pale yellow color, with a short lived foamy white head. I thought it was quite carbonated, maybe just me though. Quite a bitter taste in the beginning, that lead to a bitter aftertaste. I'm usually not a big fan of bitters though. Probably not going to venture into it anymore though.

03-14-2003 20:48:50 | More by JISurfer
Bruiser81

Kansas

3.03/5  rDev -5%

Wow, I've never seen that cascading effect in a light colored beer, pretty neat. This brew was sort of a dark golden color with a thick creamy pure white head. Thats probably the best part about this beer. The aroma is sort of lacking, the little smell that is there is sort of grassy, not much else coming through. The taste is very bland imo. If anything maybe a little bit of a hoppy finish, with a slight tinge of bitterness, but it is a struggle to pick it out. This brew has the creamy draught system mouthfeel, but not near the same quality as say Beamish or Guinness. I would not purchase this beer again.

03-02-2003 13:27:41 | More by Bruiser81
Fabric8r

Montana

3.38/5  rDev +6%

Interesting brew. Orange in color, which suprised me. Lots of malt taste, and you had to really think of hops to taste them. Nice head, lasted til gone, went well with the steak dinner I ordered it with. I recommend it, but nothing really exceptional about it.

02-19-2003 11:18:12 | More by Fabric8r
Admiraldinty

3.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured an orange with a big cascading fluffy head. Clean smelling with some flowery and estery scents, but not too much more. Very smooth tasting. Some toasted malt and very mild hops. There is a tea-like aftertaste that I really was not keen on at all. Maybe this is the grain tannins the bros. write of. I'd say this is a good session beer, although I don't know that I'd buy it again. I'm positive there are better pub ales out there like Abbot, etc.

02-13-2003 19:36:11 | More by Admiraldinty
SaunaKing

Ontario (Canada)

3.13/5  rDev -1.9%

My Boddingtons came out of a 500ml can brewed in England. The colour was amber and the head was very dense & creamy although it died down a little faster than expected. Aroma is ok, smells a little like bread.

The taste is rather bland but not bad. Drinkablity is higher because of this blandness - you could easily drink lots of these.

Serving type: can

01-30-2003 09:20:30 | More by SaunaKing
Morris729

3.25/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a deep amber color with a creamy white head that stays until the end. Nose is floral hops with some notes of fresh grains. Taste is lightly toasted grains with strong notes of hop resins and grain husks. Fairly heavy in the mouth. Bitter hop resins and tannins are present in the aftertaste. A decent beer, but somewhat overpowering.

01-17-2003 17:39:37 | More by Morris729
Kwak

2.33/5  rDev -27%

Boddingtons Pub Ale
Head : Verry nice texture and color ,no taste.
Body : Smooth silky brownish almost tann color, thick and rich.
Taste : Very faint malt flavor with a hints of leather .

Not my can of tea it looks a lot better taste!

Serving type: can

11-22-2002 21:44:22 | More by Kwak
TheLongBeachBum

2.3/5  rDev -27.9%

I drank "Boddies" in England by the Gallon - back when it was Independent, and I was young. Since being in the US, I have drunk this three times from the tap (at Heroes in Claremont) for comparitive purposes - hoping it would get better. How can I say this - It didn't !!
Nice head, looks good and its "smooth"...... and thats about it really. Disappointing mouthfeel, lowish carbonation - this beer is both filtered and pasteurised and suffers as a consequence - as well as just being simply too bland for me. Low on malt and bitterness, some fruitiness, but I had to concentrate hard to get this.
As an Englishmen, for me this is a very sad pathetic pale imitation and a shadow of its former exceptionalism in its "independent" glory days. Another great beer ruined by the Macros. That said, as a stand-alone beer, it just barely passes the threshold of acceptability with me.
I prefer to drink American Psuedo-Craft Beers (e.g. Sam Adams) long before this - anyday, and I'm English.

10-11-2002 15:27:20 | More by TheLongBeachBum
frank4sail

2.73/5  rDev -14.4%

Thick white head that has a following and lasting lace as you drink. Not much nose at all .. this was a shock. Slightly sweet taste but no balance at all on the hop side. It bored my tongue. The mouth was nice and smooth.. but there is this flat slightly sweet unbalenced effect overall. It is not bad tasting but is not a ale with any real depth of taste.

07-25-2002 11:22:01 | More by frank4sail
Jordan

3.2/5  rDev +0.3%

This beer makes me laugh. I was a little apprehensive when I could not find any reference to 'style' on the packaging, and after pouring and drinking I feel duped. Nitro has to be a marketing gimic. (ever compare nitro guiness to the bottle?) On the outside Boddington is a decent and drinkable beer, inside however, a fraud.

07-21-2002 21:06:41 | More by Jordan
mickeymac

3.68/5  rDev +15.4%

This is a very nice looking beer that doesn't quite live up to its appearance. It's not bad and definitely better than its canned brother, but it's lacking a bit in flavor.

06-14-2002 22:18:17 | More by mickeymac
AaronRed

4.1/5  rDev +28.5%

This is one of my fall back beers. I cannot believe I have not reviewed this yet; I guess it got lost. Having this beer on tap, it's almost like a light Guiness. I do love the Nitro, even though it does not add anything to the actual taste of the beer, it does make it creamy, and it does look terrific. It is so smooth with some buttery/ nut flavor that invites you to drink more of it. This is a great beer to drink at all times, all year round. It is also a good beer to give to someone who is just beginning their venture into the world of real beer.

06-09-2002 18:05:04 | More by AaronRed
usualpulp

3.88/5  rDev +21.6%

A very creamy brew. Pours an excellent golden color with a large creamy white head on top. Taste is very smooth, with a slight bitterness, but nothing overwhealming. The smell of the beer is about average, nothing really stands out about it in this area. Overall I like this beer, light, smooth and creamy, and easily drinkable.

05-30-2002 08:47:44 | More by usualpulp
jackndan

4.22/5  rDev +32.3%

Boddintons: English pub ale. Very creamy beer. Thick amber color, thick dense head. Incredibly smooth and sweet. Very easy to drink, highly recommended.

05-29-2002 20:13:04 | More by jackndan
bmills1608

3.38/5  rDev +6%

I had this on tap at a restaurant the other night. It could have been my allergies, not sure, but I was surprised at how lacking in taste the beer was. Smooth and slightly creamy, but very unflavorful. I thought I detected a slight pine taste. It might have been too cold. For the sytle, it actually fits the bill pretty will, ordinary bitter.

Finished quite dry.

04-19-2002 07:21:25 | More by bmills1608
aracauna

Georgia

3.03/5  rDev -5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Just average. I went to Fado's in Atlanta and it was the only thing on tap that I hadn't tried before. Pretty much run of the mill.

03-26-2002 11:05:18 | More by aracauna