Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Boddingtons Pub Ale - Boddingtons

Boddingtons Pub AleBoddingtons Pub Ale

awful

Boddingtons visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  4.70% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 10-20-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Boddingtons Pub Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,081 | Hads: 2,581
2.42/5  rDev -24.6%

I had a random can of this in my fridge for months, and figured I'd drink it tonight to make some room for other beers. When I popped the top, it exploded all over my table. Not a good start.

Appearance: Starts off with a nice head, with bubbles streaming up the glass. Settles down to a single-finger of flat, white foam. Translucent, bronze color.

Aroma: Not picking up much on the nose. Hints of citric hops.

Taste: Mildly bitter up front, and then...nothing. A bit like weak lemon water.

Mouthfeel: It's extremely smooth, but doesn't make up for the non-existent flavor.

Overall: I'd take this over a Bud, Miller, or Coors, but that's about it. It's not bad, it just isn't good. At all. (705 characters)

4.26/5  rDev +32.7%

after reading reviews on this beer i decided to get one. i thought
the can was very plain to start. but never judge a bbic.

i poured it into my guinness glass andit was appropriate because the beer turned out to be a lighter colored version of it.

this beer is delicious and i regret i only bought one. Its so smooth and easy going down. creamy on the toungue.I just wish the abv was 1% higher and it would be perfect.

i highly recommend. (442 characters)

3.71/5  rDev +15.6%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Due to the nitro-can it had that long lasting head.

S: The aroma really threw me I wasn't sure what to expect so this is all I will comment about the smell.

T: I actually liked the taste of this it was my first "pub ale" so I do not know what to compare it to.

M: This beer is a very smooth beer some may find it to have similarities to the smoothness of Guinness or Murphy's Irish Stout from a nitro-can

D: It is a very easy drink. (466 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -4.7%

I decided to try Boddingtons based sheerly on the amount we generally sell in a week at work. Nitro can fizzes and the ale pours a frothy honey/gold color. Looks pretty nice, with a guinness-sized head that's just as thick looking. Smells of little malt, mostly a generic beer smell with some hops. Taste is unremarkable, creamy, but little flavor. Hardly any maltiness, but there is a decent hop finish. Very little to recommend in this beer, but it is quite drinkable. Probably won't buy again, due to the fact that there are many more tasty brews out there. (560 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -2.5%

Not a bad looking beer. Pours a golden yellow after the nitro cascade dies down. Thick white head leaving lace down to the bottom of the glass. Aroma is undistinguished, a bit malty, but nothing really noteworthy.
Taste is a letdown after the initial appearance. A bit of hop, a bit of malt, nothing special. Mouthfeel is definitely thin.

Drinkability is very good, but why would you want to? I found no qualities in this beer that aren't better executed elsewhere. (470 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +21.8%

To me, Boddingtons is the "caramel" version of the "chocolate" Guinness if that makes sense. From the cascade to the head consistency, the feel in the mouth to the fairly intense lacing - they're very similar. It's a smooth and very drinkable beer that you can just put down without even realizing. The appearance is simple but pleasant with a light honey color. The head is thick and marshmallow like, and it just won't go away. Not much of a nose, which would probably be its biggest problem. This is a classic though, and because of that, it’s not the most complex. It's a staple, not something that pushes the boundaries, and it should be appreciated as such. It's best on draught and pairs well with many deserts. (719 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +28.3%

After watching the ferocious air bubbles from the nitro can subside, I observed a rich golden color that is not quite copper, but looked similar to some lagers I have seen. The head is creamy and tan. The smell is a hardly noticible sweet English-type scent. Though the flavor is quite watered down, I really liked it and it tastes like pure malt. Very mild, sweet, and flat. This beer is very easy to drink and I could probably chug these all night. It would be best to balance this one out with something more bitter because it really does drink like water. (559 characters)

2.34/5  rDev -27.1%

Appearance: Poured into a regular pint glass from a 1 pint nitro-can, this beer was quite impressive from the start, with nice cascading effect as the beer readies itself, stabilizing with i nice thumb think frothy, foamy head. The beer itself is about the color of iced tea or bourban whiskey, and has no haze.

Smell : What smell? As much as I tried not much aroma came from this baby. There was a slight malt smell but even that was very faint. IMHO it smelled a bit like natural light...

Taste: Nothing to write home about here. No hops, no crispness, not much of anything. That is, unless you count the aftertaste...
'
Mouthfeel: Well, this beer feels like water. The can says "Smooth and creamy," I say "Not so much."

Drinkabillity: I'm not sure if I'll finish this 4pack, what does that tell you. (806 characters)

3.76/5  rDev +17.1%

On-tap, Jake's Cigars and Spirits, Lincoln, NE:

Appearance: Milky pour, very thick head of foam. Solid golden, classic appearance. Big fan of the appearance. 5/5

Smell is light, hoppy, sweet. What Budweiser should be. 4/5

Taste: Slightly bitter and hoppy. A little watery at first for my tastes. Lacks complexity. But not bad. 3/5

Sits well in mouth. 4/5 (358 characters)

3.56/5  rDev +10.9%

It's not a flavorful beer, and it's not supposed to be. Pours a nice deep golden amber, with a thick, creamy head. Smells like grassy malt, not much else. Tastes smooth and creamy with a nice biscuity malt body and a hint of yeasty bitterness. A nice, crisp, smooth, drinkable beer. Very good mouthfeel. (304 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -9.7%

Had to try this is a little pub in Pennsylvania. Nitrous head, thick and creamy - that was nice. Smelled floral and wheaty too, and had a nice color. Tasted like water. I kid you not. Just nothing there. No aftertaste either. Was really a suprise, most of these nitrous bitters are kinda strong ... oh well. I wouldn't order it again. (334 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -4.7%

Ahhhh Boddingtons. I like to call it "Guiness Extremely Light." After exploding the nitro can on opening, the beer pours to a golden color, if not somewhat hazy, with excellent cascading. A thick, creamy head then forms and stays with the beer the rest of the way.

There are some hop and malt aromas here, but they are very light and somewhat metallic. Some citrous and fruity overtones. The beer is easy to drink, very light and creamy mouthfeel, although it can be considered somewhat flat and devoid of any punch.

Still, if you offer me one I will not turn it down. After the initial excitement, it's a mellow ale best suited for a mellow drinking session. (665 characters)

3.64/5  rDev +13.4%

One of the prettiest beers I have ever poured. Has a cascade like Guinness, a thick head that never leaves and coats the glass as you down it. Color changes from a deep yellow to a lighter gold as the cascade settles itself into the head.
The smell is not quite as impressive, mostly hops with a little citrus and grain aroma.
Taste is great, rich, slightly bitter, a little sweet honey, and a hint of fruit. Very well balanced hops. Aftertaste is not great but I can deal with it for a beer this good.
Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth, I think the nitro can gives it the creamy feel but it is worth it. A little on the low side of carbonation and gets flat toward the end of the glass.
This is one that I have been drinking for years and continually pick up when I find a place that sells the four pack of pint cans. Even better when you can find it on tap. (861 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +48.9%

Bought at Uncle Sudsy's, a six pack shop at Indiana University of Pennsylvania. I bought a four pack of pint nitro cans.
Apperance- the apperance is a cool amber
Smell- the smell is very smooth with a creamy aroma
Taste- fabulous taste, very creamy and smooth
Mouthfeel- the beer has a kick to it and makes my mouth tingle
Drinkability- I could drink about eight with out trouble but any more I may fall a few times (421 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +38.6%

This beer is one that everyone should have. You can quaff this one all night as its flavor is not going to be overpowering nor will the alcohol content kick you in the ass. This is one for drinking with a ton of friends at the local dive bar when all you want to do is have hearty fun and conversation. Better on tap, so if you can find a place that serves it, go there, and knock on the gates to Heaven. (404 characters)

3.49/5  rDev +8.7%

A: Being a nitro-can pours a great head, a finger and a half, that lasts the entire time...golden orange color

S: muted cereal grains, unfortuately reminds me of the big two american beers (bud and miller)...the downfall of nitro

T: sweet front end with a lingering bitterness...sometimes a bit of a metallic aftertaste but not always not sure of the reason...not complex but for me enjoyable

M: like most nitro cans you get a bit of head with each drink...for me this is enjoyable

D: good beer to watch with a sports game...don't have to think about what you are tasting...straight-forward everyday beer (608 characters)

3.43/5  rDev +6.9%

A-Pours golden white (Caused by the Nitro) after all the bubbles have finished doing their thing the ale is a golden amber, with a nice white creamy head

S-Smells a little sweet, but not really a whole lot going in there, I kinda get a little bit of hops but a very faint smell

T-I get a little of honey, a little bitter after taste but not overly bitter

M-Smooth, clean, its not very carbonated pretty light for a ale

D-Pretty drinkable, I could probably drink of 2 or 3 of these due to the lack of carbonation, but I think the flavor of this beer would get boring to me after a while (591 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +45.8%

Wow, I cannot believe this beer rated as poorly as it did! I truly find this a very unique brew.

Its the 'other' Guinness draught being lighter in color, and yet not any less interesting. Its flavor is very mellow, yet rich, and its overall creamy texture make the beer allot of fun to drink.

Its bubbles cascade just as Guinness draught's does...

I purchase this beer after the holidays in January, and consume it through early spring. I will report back later with a more detailed, definitive review of this beer. (518 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +37.1%

This is a full-bodied ale, but very smooth and refreshing. The can produces a lot of head, but it's part of the experience. Serve very cold, either alone or with hearty foods, such as steaks or other meats on the grill. This beer has the ultimate draught can ~ it only pales in comparison to the real thing. On tap, this is my absolute favorite beer. It's as smooth and refreshing as a cool glass of water on a hot day, but full and rich as any quality brewed pale ale. This beer is my standard. (495 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -19%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

This is my first one

Be careful with this one. The draughtflow system will overfow the can if you do not pour it immediately after cracking the top. There is a small plastic thing in the can to allow a nice head.

This is a very smooth ale. I like it.

The head was creamy and long lasting. It has a near white sheen. Like it

The smell is light and hoppy. I am a porter, english brown ale and stout lover.

The mouthfeel is watery and light with little bite. It has a mild after tast with no clear cut off.

The appearance is light brown or tan.

This is a very creamy and smooth ale that will stay on my list of great beers. (629 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +32.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Very good ale. Would choose this over most pilsners at a bar. Semi brownish color with hints of nuts & cream. Very smooth finish on draft. Easy drinkin beer. (157 characters)

2.62/5  rDev -18.4%

let me start by saying, i am not a pale ale fan to start with.

Appearance: very slightly reddish yellow. pours with a heavy thick head, which i should add now to watch out when opening the can, head subsides to a nice covering and continues to cling to the glass all the way down.

Smell: very bland and lifeless, it barly even smells like beer.

Taste: again very simple and lackng in my opinion. dont get it wrong it is a smooth creamy beer, but that is it.

not something that i would drink on a regular basis, or ever again. just not my glass of beer i guess. (572 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +26.2%

behold...Boddingtons Ale, the finest drink. our band, The Ill Mayhem, loves this beer for post session sessions. this beer is a great pub ale, you can pour it as fast and hard as you like, and the beer cascades out to a foamy half inch head which maintains for the duration. the frothy head also has a creamy or marshmellowy swseetness, if you decided to down it as well. the ill mayhem loves this beer, we endorse it, and would like to be sponsored by it. Our bass player, Rootin Tootin Rasputin has been quoted as saying " Boddingtons Pub Ale is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" from his treetop perch. The first time i bought Boddingtons, the old man at the liquor store declared "that is the SMOOTHEST beer ive EVER had." cheers bro (753 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +48.3%

A - A very dense amber color.

S- Almost not there, "almost" bready.

T- Excellent, it is exactly what it is supposed to be. Creamy. Perfect Pub Ale

M- Again very creamy, full feeling almost thick.

O- This is definitely one of if not my favorite Ale. Hands down.

Serving Type: Nitro Can (290 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +29%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I love this beer as a light drinking with friends beer. Not too sophisticated, just pleasant drinking. It has a creamy feel, with a great flavour. One cannot expect a stout or a Belgian style flavour from this ale, rather expect simple and clean beer taste. (257 characters)

Boddingtons Pub Ale from Boddingtons