Kennebunkport Pumpkin Ale - Federal Jack's Restaurant & Brew Pub

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Lothore on 09-12-2007

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
2.13/5  rDev -22.8%

Pumpkin ale pours a bright pale yellow color with very small head. There is a very fake pumpkin aroma. The taste has a fake pumpkin flavor, with hints of vanilla. Good body, but over carbonated, and the fake flavor makes it unpleasant. Overall the vanilla flavors are nice, but the fake overpowering flavors are are just not good. (330 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -23.2%

Pours bright gold with only the smallest amount of head. Average all the way.

Cinnamon-dominated nose with substantial clove and trace nutmeg. Yup, all the "pie" scents are there. Diacetyl is along for the ride as well...

Ick! Like slightly sour water buttressed by stale grain. It's truly a train-wreck as almost no semblance of "pumpkin" remains after sifting through the chemical and off-flavors.

Watery with a sticky finish. An absolutely horrible stab at a pumpkin ale. This is the kind of beer that makes me wary of the style. Much like ambers, I wish brewers didn't feel like this were a mandatory beer. Do it well or don't do it. (641 characters)

2.08/5  rDev -24.6%

I cannot for the life of me remember who gave me this beer. Whoever it was, big thanks! Drank from my Big Horn Mai Bock point glass.

Appearance- Pours a light yellow orange with terrific clarity. Forms a nice half finger head that disappears very quickly and leaves no cap and the smallest collar I’ve ever seen.
Smell- Lots of pumpkin and that’s pretty much about it. Not really much spice like I’ve come to expect from pumpkin ales.
Taste- Starts with a bit of pumpkin that isn’t all that “pumpkiny”. Some grainy malt that doesn’t seem to add much. Maybe a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg (maybe) to round out the taste. Finishes fairly cloying with some “pumpkin”.
Mouthfeel- Medium to thin body with fairly aggressive carbonation.
Drinkability- Well I think that if Miller was to make a pumpkin beer, they’d base it off this little guy. It’s got almost nothing in the nose and the taste is almost as bad. Not a great beer. Thanks much to whoever sent this to me, glad to have gotten to try it! (1,004 characters)

2.04/5  rDev -26.1%

The only offensive part of this beer is that it tastes like it was brewed with a handful of artificial-cinnamon-flavored toothpicks. Once you get past that, theres a good malty nose and a nice biscuity malt flavor with an appropriate amount of hops for the light style. There's very little carbonation. The "cinnamon and spice" really ruins everything about it. I had such a bad opinion of it last year that I thought I'd just keep it to myself. Maybe another year of beer drinking might change things, but I guess a turd always smells like a turd no matter how many one has smelled. (583 characters)

1.99/5  rDev -27.9%

This beer was awful enough to inspire me to sign up for an account at BA to write a review. I found the first sip and it's aftertaste to be enjoyable, with pumpkin and spice taste. However the sips beyond the first exposed that the mouthfeel and taste are below par.

Perhaps those with sweeter tastes will enjoy this beer, I thought. So I poured some for a few ladies that enjoy sweet beers. Both did not care for it at all, citing the poor taste and bad aftertaste. (468 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -29%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a standard pint.

Light golden color. Medium heavy carbonation. Smells like a combination of sweet potatoes, boiled eggs, butter, and orange... not really a good combo. The flavor has a synthetic pumpkin flavor, with a nutmeg spice. Light body, and the strange sweetness, lingers (unfortunately). Overall, this is not really very good. Only worth trying to acknowledge what a poor effort it is. This is a tough finish. (450 characters)

1.9/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

I am not sure if this is the same thing as Pumpkinhead from Shipyard, part of the same brewing family as Kennebunkport. Some people and websites claim that it is, and it certainly shares some basic similarities, but to me this was very different in taste and feel, and I like it a lot less. Then again, the only Pumpkinhead I've had recently was a left-over bottle I found from last year. It seemed quite good, so either it is good and better than this stuff, or it simply ages really well. Moreover, this Kennebunkport ale also does not resemble either my independent memory or my notes about Pumpkinhead from last year.

Pale, hazy orange with dust, it has a thin, fizzy off-white head quickly thinning to a ring and wisps, with no lace. This is similar to Pumpkinhead but this is more orange and more hazy and dusty.

The aroma is light grain with cinnamon, a hint of grass, a faint general pumpkin-pie aroma, and a hint of orange juice. This is a little bit like pumpkin head, but with more cinnamon, less pumpkin/pumpkin pie, and with orange.

The taste is quite different. It's light, on the fizzy side, and has pumpkin-pie spices
and some grian in the finish, like Pumpkinhead. However, the grain element is lighter, more cracker-like, less robust in feel. It also is a lot sweeter than Pumpkinhead, which transitions between sweetness and dryness. It also, unlike pumpkinhead, tastes a lot like watered down orange juice mixed with soda water with aa dash of cinnamon, with the only grain element being a light perfume in the finish. I actually found this too sweet and too much like watery orange soda pop to finish. (1,625 characters)

1.82/5  rDev -34.1%

I don't know why I try Trader Joe's own brews. I always walk away disappointed. Picked up a six pack of this yesterday after the clerk said it was "really good" and that people in the area were raving about it. If this beer teaches us anything, it's that people are dumb. I had one sip of this and introduced it to the drain. Starts off with a lot of cinnamon & some pumpkin pie (artificial flavors anyone?). Finishes with a skunk aftertaste that made me yearn for the sweet release of death. Mouthfeel is watery. Kind of like Budweiser if you threw in a cinnamon stick. Why do these ratings only go to 1? Why not 0? As of today, I am making up a new rating: 0.0 - Repulsive. Drinkability: 0.0. Never buy this beer. (715 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -36.6%

This is a crime against beer. To use an analogy, this reminds me of those coffees that are infused with some artificial flavor and aroma to enhance the taste. The pumpkin taste feels like a perfume that was added. If you want a pumpkin ale, do it right. There is no substitute for Dogfish Head's version. (304 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -38.4%

Got a six pack the other day, this was my first offering from the Trader Joe's brand. I was quite dissapointed. Overbaringly sweet fruity smell in the nose, not alot of pumkin if any. some spices. The taste... Well, there's not alot i can taste besides the overly sweet, artificial fruit flavorings. I think i taste the "peach" they mentioned on the box. Somewhat tangy, which doesn't compliment the present tastes at all. This beer was unpleasant, and i had a hard time finishing my first one. if you see this beer and are tempted to grab a case, think twice. (560 characters)

1.65/5  rDev -40.2%

Normally I am a big fan of pumpkin ales. Every year around this time I get excited to have a few to settle my tastebuds over for the year. Unfortunately, this beer has (sorry the pun) left a bad taste in my mouth for pumpkin beers. Pours out a corona yellow with a fluffy head and tons of carbonation swirling in the glass. Not the appearance that I was hoping for with this style. I must admit that I have a bit of a cold/flu, but the aroma on this was like a cheap, watered down, Halloween candle. Nothing about it seemed authentic. The taste is tough to pin down, but regardless, is not good. It seems like a swill macro lager with melted ice and a bag of cinnamon. There is no depth whatsoever and it is a little painful to swallow. The mouthfeel is like chewing on aluminum foil. This one has to go down the drain. (819 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -45.7%

Purchased at Trader Joes. Pours a light straw yellow with a thin white head that quickly fades. Aroma of... nasty sugar and faint pumpkin. Light bodied with a crisp carbonation. Flavors of pumpkin pie spice and a sweetness that is just... off. I'm not really sure how to describe it. This beer is pretty damn horrible. (318 characters)

1.49/5  rDev -46%

Appearance- Crystal clear, light amber with a huge white head that has some staying power. No lacing at all.

Aroma- Somewhat overpowering with the pumpkin and spices. Smells like a liquid pumpkin pie. Lots of pumpkin, nutmeg and all-spice.

Taste- Wow. Very pumpkinny. Unfortunately, that's pretty much all you can taste. I REALLY hate to dump beer, but this one goes down the drain.

Mouthfeel- Fairly light body. Carboantion level is quite good.

Drinkability- Ughghghgh (475 characters)

1.43/5  rDev -48.2%

Saw this at Trader Joes... Whole Foods (or whole paycheck, if you prefer), has a much better selection, but I was in a hurry, and wanted to try a new pumpkin ale. Anyway, on to the beer....

Pours into a pilsner, with an ugly yellow color ( I won't even dignify it with a "Corona yellow"), decent head that quickly dissolves into nothing.

Heavy cinnamon, and a patently artificial pumpkin nose. First sip has a watery mouthfeel, much like Bud or Miller Lite, with an overly sweet taste. Second and third sips rapidly devolve into nothingness. It tastes much like (as mentioned earlier), Budweiser with a cinnamon stick thrown in.

I cannot recommend this beer under any circumstances, barring something involving scorpions and tender regions. (744 characters)

It taste like rubber. The first sip had a crazy cinnamon spice sort of thing but after that I thought I was drinking rubber flavored beer. This is the first beer I ever dumped down the drain. (194 characters)

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last