Kennebunkport Pumpkin Ale - Federal Jack's Restaurant & Brew Pub

Federal Jack's Restaurant & Brew Pub visit their website
Maine, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  4.70% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Lothore on 09-12-2007)
3.08/5  rDev +5.8%

First pumpkin beer of the season this year!

Appearance: Thin head, golden amber in color (rather less orange than I would have expected). Poor retention and no lacing.

Smell: Pumpkin pie spices, especially ginger. Some spicy hops and caramel malt.

Taste: Pumpkin-y, but slightly acid and artificial-tasting. Mineral water finish.

Mouthfeel: Spritzy carbonation, light/med body

Drinkability: Decent pumpkin beer.

hunteraw, Oct 08, 2008
3.4/5  rDev +16.8%

Pours a fizzy [pumpkin] orange with a small white head. Big aromas of cinnamon and molasses, with pumpkin pie coming through loud and clear. For me the nose is the high point. The taste is pleasantly spicy up front but the finish leaves something to be desired. It seems like the brewers took the "pumpkin challenge" very literally and the result is a beer that smells terrific and tastes alright but lacks any sort of malt/hop balance.

droomyster, Sep 30, 2009

bh123, Oct 26, 2012
3.5/5  rDev +20.3%

TheMarkE, Jan 09, 2013

ali1987, Sep 22, 2013
2.78/5  rDev -4.5%

A- Golden orange, completely clear and fizzy. Pours with a 1 finger head that dies down quickly with no lacing.

S- Smell is very faint but I can pick out the pumpkin flavor, an intense sweetness and a big amount of spices.

T- Tastes like pumpkin bread. Mettalic tinge at the end that didnt bug me at first but as I got to the bottom of the beer really started to make me feel like I was drinking something from a BMC.

M- A bit thin and very carbonated.

D- I dig the taste for something this price and I definitely don't regret drinking it but something this sweet is more of a novelty then something you could drink a few of. For the price at trader joes it definitely was at least on par with what I expected.

Lothore, Sep 12, 2007

lilsmizzul1225, Jan 14, 2013
3.63/5  rDev +24.7%

What a different beer. I've had Pumpkin ales before, but this one's a little different. It pours a very yellow/straw color. It reminded me of a pop at first the way the head appears not to leave a lace and quickly dissapears. The smell really turned me off right off the bat, just smelled wrong. BUt then I took a taste and Oh my, it was pretty good! The spices really come through, way more than the smell would indicate. Mouthfeel and drinkability are so,so. I like the taste, but with every taste you do have to bring it past your nose. It has a very similar smell to New Glarus' Belgian Red.

madtowndmb1, Feb 22, 2008

DbbC, Oct 12, 2013

TrojanWheels, Jan 19, 2012
1.45/5  rDev -50.2%

Appearance- Crystal clear, light amber with a huge white head that has some staying power. No lacing at all.

Aroma- Somewhat overpowering with the pumpkin and spices. Smells like a liquid pumpkin pie. Lots of pumpkin, nutmeg and all-spice.

Taste- Wow. Very pumpkinny. Unfortunately, that's pretty much all you can taste. I REALLY hate to dump beer, but this one goes down the drain.

Mouthfeel- Fairly light body. Carboantion level is quite good.

Drinkability- Ughghghgh

theopholis, Oct 08, 2007
2.03/5  rDev -30.2%

Pours bright gold with only the smallest amount of head. Average all the way.

Cinnamon-dominated nose with substantial clove and trace nutmeg. Yup, all the "pie" scents are there. Diacetyl is along for the ride as well...

Ick! Like slightly sour water buttressed by stale grain. It's truly a train-wreck as almost no semblance of "pumpkin" remains after sifting through the chemical and off-flavors.

Watery with a sticky finish. An absolutely horrible stab at a pumpkin ale. This is the kind of beer that makes me wary of the style. Much like ambers, I wish brewers didn't feel like this were a mandatory beer. Do it well or don't do it.

malcontent, Nov 09, 2007
2.13/5  rDev -26.8%

The second of two Kennebunkport brews I bought recently and tried. The first was the blueberry ale.

This pumpkin ale pours a thin-looking, pale gold color with a weak head of foam that settles quickly into a thin crown. Not exactly what I was looking for in a "pumpkin ale." Perhaps I was expecting something a bit more colorful; something more robust in appearance. Oh well. The nose I find to be offensive. Very spicey, with lots of cinammon and pumpkin spice, but it doesn't come across as authentic pumpkin aroma at all. It's a bit over-the-top if you ask me. Not terrible, but it could use some adjustment. However, this beer tastes weaker than it smells. Much weaker, in fact. Thin, again, but peppery. But that's about where it ends. Some pumpkin-y spice residue lingers for a brief moment in the back of the mouth, but it's almost all washed away by the watery quality of the beer. Mouthfeel is thin, watery, and unimpressive to say the least.

This, as much as I hate to say it, is just a bad beer. There are few, if any, redeeming qualities to this thing. Federal Jack's Brewpub should be ashamed of themselves for peddling these wares. Avoid at all costs.

Atlas1, Oct 31, 2007
1.63/5  rDev -44%

Normally I am a big fan of pumpkin ales. Every year around this time I get excited to have a few to settle my tastebuds over for the year. Unfortunately, this beer has (sorry the pun) left a bad taste in my mouth for pumpkin beers. Pours out a corona yellow with a fluffy head and tons of carbonation swirling in the glass. Not the appearance that I was hoping for with this style. I must admit that I have a bit of a cold/flu, but the aroma on this was like a cheap, watered down, Halloween candle. Nothing about it seemed authentic. The taste is tough to pin down, but regardless, is not good. It seems like a swill macro lager with melted ice and a bag of cinnamon. There is no depth whatsoever and it is a little painful to swallow. The mouthfeel is like chewing on aluminum foil. This one has to go down the drain.

ALESwhatCURESya, Oct 09, 2007

dominic4beer, Jun 10, 2012

WhitmansNiece, Nov 12, 2012
3.25/5  rDev +11.7%

A-Pours an orange-ish yellow w/thin white head. Slightly hazy.
S-Cinnamon, nutmeg, gourd, slight walnut.
T-Reminds me of a wheat beer accompanying my old neighbor's pumpkin-nut loaf, and also of a cinnamon-yam dish my wife made a couple Thanksgivings ago. Taste is a bit lighter than what I was expecting, and slightly sweet w/hints of tangelo. I originally marked this pretty low but it gets better after a couple sips, and the balance isn't too bad. Aftertaste gets a little sloppy and confused.
M-Too light for the flavors. It mixes heavy flavors w/very light texture, and although the carbonation gives it a little backbone, it falls short.
D-Actually quite refreshing, plus I got it on markdown.

BoitSansSoif, Mar 19, 2008
3.6/5  rDev +23.7%

Pours with a thin head , no lacing. Clear copper color.

Nutmeg, pumpkin in the nose.

Hints of cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin pie.No hops , somewhat sweet caramel finish.

Mouthfeel is medium, decent carbonation.

Drinkability is fairly decent for this style.

shroompod, Oct 27, 2007

milkbone_underwear, Oct 10, 2012

jmmy3, Sep 25, 2013

Jho3325, Dec 08, 2013
2.2/5  rDev -24.4%

2 singles purchased from Trader Joe's

Bottles reads Kennebunkport Brewing Company, my guess branded this way just for Trader Joe's. The Pugsley Brewing Company in Portland is where this is brewed and bottled. Along with Shipyard and Sea Dog, these are all under the same parent company. I wouldn't be surprised if this beer and Sea Dog's Pumpkin Ale are exactly the same.

It's orange in color (surprise!) with virtually no head. The initial scent is gumball, quite pungently sweet. Notes of cinnamon, nutmeg and pumpkin follow up. But really it's sickly sweet, tasting more like a soft drink than a beer.

Why did I buy 2?

sloejams, Sep 30, 2007
2.23/5  rDev -23.4%

Purchased as a single (good thing) at Trader Joe's in Glendale.

A: Pours a pale orange color with a frothy, two-finger head that quickly fades to a thin rim of lace that fails to stick.

S: Cinnamon with notes of metal and smoke.

T: Thin-bodied and heavily carbonated with no appreciable malt or hop character. Mild pumpkin pie spicing. Bland without any bitterness. Finishes with a vague herbal quality. Basically, like drinking carbonated soda water with a dash of cinnamon. Egad.

M: As thin and over-carbonated as it gets.

D: Avoid. Not worthy of celebrating the harvest.

CaptainIPA, Nov 04, 2008
1.75/5  rDev -39.9%

I don't know why I try Trader Joe's own brews. I always walk away disappointed. Picked up a six pack of this yesterday after the clerk said it was "really good" and that people in the area were raving about it. If this beer teaches us anything, it's that people are dumb. I had one sip of this and introduced it to the drain. Starts off with a lot of cinnamon & some pumpkin pie (artificial flavors anyone?). Finishes with a skunk aftertaste that made me yearn for the sweet release of death. Mouthfeel is watery. Kind of like Budweiser if you threw in a cinnamon stick. Why do these ratings only go to 1? Why not 0? As of today, I am making up a new rating: 0.0 - Repulsive. Drinkability: 0.0. Never buy this beer.

jdubjacket, Oct 27, 2007
2.95/5  rDev +1.4%

a: straw body; clear with vigorous upward movement; light head

s: pumpkins; gingerbread spice; sweet yeast; a real spiciness; pumpkin pie; molasses and honey

t: strong sweet honey; molasses; pumpkin gingerbread; yeastiness

m: very agressive and very watery

d: very disappointing and thin in flavor and body but still drinkable because of the sweet pumpkinness

hoegaardenhero, Dec 26, 2008