Kennebunkport Pumpkin Ale - Federal Jack's Restaurant & Brew Pub

Federal Jack's Restaurant & Brew Pub visit their website
Maine, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  4.70% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Lothore on 09-12-2007)
3.08/5  rDev +4.8%

First pumpkin beer of the season this year!

Appearance: Thin head, golden amber in color (rather less orange than I would have expected). Poor retention and no lacing.

Smell: Pumpkin pie spices, especially ginger. Some spicy hops and caramel malt.

Taste: Pumpkin-y, but slightly acid and artificial-tasting. Mineral water finish.

Mouthfeel: Spritzy carbonation, light/med body

Drinkability: Decent pumpkin beer.

hunteraw, Oct 08, 2008
3.13/5  rDev +6.5%

12oz bottle into nonic.

Clear pale amber hue with a mild orange tint. A very thin and fizzy head quickly settles to a flat rim along the glass.

Grainy malts along with some light spices from pumpkin, and a little bit of raw pumpkin aroma.

Again, grains sit in the background, while the light spices and a little bit of pumpkin pie flavor take the rest of the show. Light bodied with good carbonation. The pumpkin flavor lingers for a while.

An okay pumpkin ale. While this one doesn't have any bad flavors, it's pretty thin, and focuses on the spices more than the pumpkin flavor. Enjoyable, but not the best.

BeerSox, Sep 28, 2008
3.53/5  rDev +20.1%

Appearance - a watery orange-colored pour, meager show of head that barely covers the top. Not enough to create any lace.

Aroma - spicy cinnamon. Faint pumpkin. Almost a hot cinnamon, not bad.

Taste - pure cinnamon. Indistinct grain, just enough to call it a beer. A steady theme...swallow - cinnamon; aftertaste - cinnamon. Hey I like cinnamon but I could use some other flavor in there, like maybe *pumpkin*.

Mouthfeel - slightly thin; peppy carbonation. To its credit, it helps to control the sweetness factor.

Drinkability - tasty for a one-dimensional beer. Worth a few if you're into the spice.

brewdlyhooked13, May 11, 2008
2.23/5  rDev -24.1%

Purchased at a Trader Joe's in Vegas... Think it may be a bad bottle- its pretty funky, and not in a good way.

A- Pale golden-orange. Not very impressive for a pumpkin ale. No head to speak of.

S- Smells sour. A little bit of allspice dangling around in the back

T- Pumpkin? Spices? Where are they? Tastes like a so-so pale ale. ...Oh, wait. A little bit of cinnamon can be detected in the finish. I've been to Federal Jack's and have had this (as Shipyard) on tap & it was pretty tasty, don't know what happened here.

M- Blah. Thin bodied. Ummm, that's about it.

D- Was hoping for a pumpkin ale, got a lightly spiced pale.

Avryle, Apr 27, 2008
2.48/5  rDev -15.6%

Procured by the significant other.

A: One shade darker than urine after a night of drinking. No head to speak of. Zero lacing.

S: Allspice is strong. No cinnamon or clove to speak of.

T: Just bland and stale. Most likely past its prime. Really just bland. More like an ale with a little spice than a pumpkin ale.

M: Well carbonated and it feels full in your mouth.

D: Not for me. Drainpour.

aerozeppl, Apr 27, 2008
2.13/5  rDev -27.6%

You get what you pay for and I didnt pay much for this thank goodness.
Poured dark golden with a small head. Smell is BLAH..little bit of pumpkin and skunk behind it.
Overwhelming carbonation at first, followed by sweet but genuine pumpkin flavor. Not that bodied and lacks overall flavor. Not worth trying.

barleywinefiend, Apr 10, 2008
3.25/5  rDev +10.5%

A-Pours an orange-ish yellow w/thin white head. Slightly hazy.
S-Cinnamon, nutmeg, gourd, slight walnut.
T-Reminds me of a wheat beer accompanying my old neighbor's pumpkin-nut loaf, and also of a cinnamon-yam dish my wife made a couple Thanksgivings ago. Taste is a bit lighter than what I was expecting, and slightly sweet w/hints of tangelo. I originally marked this pretty low but it gets better after a couple sips, and the balance isn't too bad. Aftertaste gets a little sloppy and confused.
M-Too light for the flavors. It mixes heavy flavors w/very light texture, and although the carbonation gives it a little backbone, it falls short.
D-Actually quite refreshing, plus I got it on markdown.

BoitSansSoif, Mar 19, 2008
2.93/5  rDev -0.3%

Kennebunkport Pumpkin-Head Ale Alias for Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale, purchased at Traders Joe's. 12 oz bottle. Orange-golden body. Smells like pumpkin, and pie spices. Nice smell combination. Flavorful, some bitterness, Wish I could try this on tap sometime.

Dubbercody, Mar 02, 2008
3.63/5  rDev +23.5%

What a different beer. I've had Pumpkin ales before, but this one's a little different. It pours a very yellow/straw color. It reminded me of a pop at first the way the head appears not to leave a lace and quickly dissapears. The smell really turned me off right off the bat, just smelled wrong. BUt then I took a taste and Oh my, it was pretty good! The spices really come through, way more than the smell would indicate. Mouthfeel and drinkability are so,so. I like the taste, but with every taste you do have to bring it past your nose. It has a very similar smell to New Glarus' Belgian Red.

madtowndmb1, Feb 22, 2008
3.88/5  rDev +32%

This beer pours a pale, straw yellow color, with a thick, white head. The head fades quickly, leaving no lacing.

This beer has a slightly spicy aroma. I smell some pumpkin, and some nutmeg. It has a slightly grainy aroma as well. I also smell a little cinnimon. All aromas are very subtle.

This beer tastes mostly of cinnimon. I taste some pumpkin spice, and a little nutmeg. That is pretty much it for flavor. As with the aroma, the flavor is very subtle.

This beer is a little over carbonated. It leaves a cinnimon like aftertaste.

I think this beer would make a decent session beer. I may get tired of the cinnimon flavor after a while though. Alcohol is low, so that wouldnt be a problem.

Overall: Although not my favorite beer from the style, I dont have a problem with this beer. I would buy it again.

OStrungT, Feb 14, 2008
2.45/5  rDev -16.7%

12 oz bottle from Trader Joe's. Best by June 08 notched on label

A: Clear golden, slight amber color with a thick off white head, decent retention, not much lacing.
S: Grain, smells like a typical light beer but then in the background pumpkin pie.
T: Tastes like liquid pumpkin pie, but not overly strong. This isn't great, but is certainly drinkable, compared to some of the other beers in this line from TJ. Grainy, slightly sweet aftertaste. A little pepper spicing it up.
M: Body similar to a wheat beer. Thicker than the appearance would suggest. Not overly carbonated.
D: Not great, not terrible. My favorite of the kennebunkport beers TJ is selling. Still not anywhere near my favorite pumpkin beer, but for the price and availability I'd be tempted to pick up a few next year, especially for friends.

yourefragile, Feb 07, 2008
2.25/5  rDev -23.5%

A decent looking brew. Frothy white head sits proudly on top of a pale wheat colored vibrant body. Champagne like carbonation. Sliding lace.

Hmmmm odd. Not terrible, not good, just odd. Like an american wheat beer meets a sweet fruit beer. Except the wheat tends to jumble this up and make it too spent grainlike tasting. Sweet potatoes and cinnamon are among the slight pumpkin taste. A bit of pepper tries to sharpen things up. Lingering layer of sweetness remains on the palate.

Notes: I wasn't much for this debacle. It was drinkable but not worth the coin. Thin and lacks any complexity.

DogFood11, Jan 15, 2008
2.08/5  rDev -29.3%

I cannot for the life of me remember who gave me this beer. Whoever it was, big thanks! Drank from my Big Horn Mai Bock point glass.

Appearance- Pours a light yellow orange with terrific clarity. Forms a nice half finger head that disappears very quickly and leaves no cap and the smallest collar I’ve ever seen.
Smell- Lots of pumpkin and that’s pretty much about it. Not really much spice like I’ve come to expect from pumpkin ales.
Taste- Starts with a bit of pumpkin that isn’t all that “pumpkiny”. Some grainy malt that doesn’t seem to add much. Maybe a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg (maybe) to round out the taste. Finishes fairly cloying with some “pumpkin”.
Mouthfeel- Medium to thin body with fairly aggressive carbonation.
Drinkability- Well I think that if Miller was to make a pumpkin beer, they’d base it off this little guy. It’s got almost nothing in the nose and the taste is almost as bad. Not a great beer. Thanks much to whoever sent this to me, glad to have gotten to try it!

younger35, Dec 20, 2007
2.03/5  rDev -31%

Pours bright gold with only the smallest amount of head. Average all the way.

Cinnamon-dominated nose with substantial clove and trace nutmeg. Yup, all the "pie" scents are there. Diacetyl is along for the ride as well...

Ick! Like slightly sour water buttressed by stale grain. It's truly a train-wreck as almost no semblance of "pumpkin" remains after sifting through the chemical and off-flavors.

Watery with a sticky finish. An absolutely horrible stab at a pumpkin ale. This is the kind of beer that makes me wary of the style. Much like ambers, I wish brewers didn't feel like this were a mandatory beer. Do it well or don't do it.

malcontent, Nov 09, 2007
1.48/5  rDev -49.7%

Saw this at Trader Joes... Whole Foods (or whole paycheck, if you prefer), has a much better selection, but I was in a hurry, and wanted to try a new pumpkin ale. Anyway, on to the beer....

Pours into a pilsner, with an ugly yellow color ( I won't even dignify it with a "Corona yellow"), decent head that quickly dissolves into nothing.

Heavy cinnamon, and a patently artificial pumpkin nose. First sip has a watery mouthfeel, much like Bud or Miller Lite, with an overly sweet taste. Second and third sips rapidly devolve into nothingness. It tastes much like (as mentioned earlier), Budweiser with a cinnamon stick thrown in.

I cannot recommend this beer under any circumstances, barring something involving scorpions and tender regions.

kb199, Nov 06, 2007
1.68/5  rDev -42.9%

Got a six pack the other day, this was my first offering from the Trader Joe's brand. I was quite dissapointed. Overbaringly sweet fruity smell in the nose, not alot of pumkin if any. some spices. The taste... Well, there's not alot i can taste besides the overly sweet, artificial fruit flavorings. I think i taste the "peach" they mentioned on the box. Somewhat tangy, which doesn't compliment the present tastes at all. This beer was unpleasant, and i had a hard time finishing my first one. if you see this beer and are tempted to grab a case, think twice.

Vmaster, Nov 03, 2007
1.85/5  rDev -37.1%

This beer was awful enough to inspire me to sign up for an account at BA to write a review. I found the first sip and it's aftertaste to be enjoyable, with pumpkin and spice taste. However the sips beyond the first exposed that the mouthfeel and taste are below par.

Perhaps those with sweeter tastes will enjoy this beer, I thought. So I poured some for a few ladies that enjoy sweet beers. Both did not care for it at all, citing the poor taste and bad aftertaste.

BeerSurfer, Nov 01, 2007
2.13/5  rDev -27.6%

The second of two Kennebunkport brews I bought recently and tried. The first was the blueberry ale.

This pumpkin ale pours a thin-looking, pale gold color with a weak head of foam that settles quickly into a thin crown. Not exactly what I was looking for in a "pumpkin ale." Perhaps I was expecting something a bit more colorful; something more robust in appearance. Oh well. The nose I find to be offensive. Very spicey, with lots of cinammon and pumpkin spice, but it doesn't come across as authentic pumpkin aroma at all. It's a bit over-the-top if you ask me. Not terrible, but it could use some adjustment. However, this beer tastes weaker than it smells. Much weaker, in fact. Thin, again, but peppery. But that's about where it ends. Some pumpkin-y spice residue lingers for a brief moment in the back of the mouth, but it's almost all washed away by the watery quality of the beer. Mouthfeel is thin, watery, and unimpressive to say the least.

This, as much as I hate to say it, is just a bad beer. There are few, if any, redeeming qualities to this thing. Federal Jack's Brewpub should be ashamed of themselves for peddling these wares. Avoid at all costs.

Atlas1, Oct 31, 2007
1.75/5  rDev -40.5%

I don't know why I try Trader Joe's own brews. I always walk away disappointed. Picked up a six pack of this yesterday after the clerk said it was "really good" and that people in the area were raving about it. If this beer teaches us anything, it's that people are dumb. I had one sip of this and introduced it to the drain. Starts off with a lot of cinnamon & some pumpkin pie (artificial flavors anyone?). Finishes with a skunk aftertaste that made me yearn for the sweet release of death. Mouthfeel is watery. Kind of like Budweiser if you threw in a cinnamon stick. Why do these ratings only go to 1? Why not 0? As of today, I am making up a new rating: 0.0 - Repulsive. Drinkability: 0.0. Never buy this beer.

jdubjacket, Oct 27, 2007
3.6/5  rDev +22.4%

Pours with a thin head , no lacing. Clear copper color.

Nutmeg, pumpkin in the nose.

Hints of cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin pie.No hops , somewhat sweet caramel finish.

Mouthfeel is medium, decent carbonation.

Drinkability is fairly decent for this style.

shroompod, Oct 27, 2007
3.53/5  rDev +20.1%

Decent head in the beginning, but this dies out completely to absolutely no bubbles and no head. Very pale color (light gold) and crystal clear.

Strong nutmeg aroma, slightly sweet.

Sweet flavor, think fermented pumpkin pie. Strong aftertaste. Thick mouthfeel and low carbonation. Slightly sour.

A traditional pumpkin ale with lots of pie spice--without flaws and frankly without excitement.

smcolw, Oct 21, 2007
2.48/5  rDev -15.6%

Kennebunkport Pumpkin Ale
12 oz brown bottle
Best before May 08
Served in a 16 oz Harpoon IPA glass (which underutilize)

Pours a light orange with little fizzy bubbles. Decent head, but minimal head retention.

The nose is weak. Whiffs of cinnamon sticks.

Eh. The mouthfeel is a big problem. Watery with a seltzer paper annoyance.

Fall flavors like candy corn, cinnamon, all spice and nutmeg blend together. The unfortunate piece is this beer is lacking quality. I taste an artificial twang or splenda sweetness. I'll finish this beer, but probably not purchase again.

Hibernator, Oct 12, 2007
2.53/5  rDev -13.9%

Pours into a Pilsner with a white, quickly fading head and crystal-clear pale orange body. Smells and tastes like soda more than beer - sweet, carbonated, and light. It's definitely pumpkin, through and through. It goes down smoothly and tastes a little like beer as it disappears. It reminds me a bit of Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, with a different fruit. A nice drink, but lacking as a real beer.

Still, it's very autumnal and at least tonight, with dry leaves and cool air, it's good enough for seconds. I'll buy another 6er next fall, but that's probably it's place in the beer world.

ptm121, Oct 11, 2007
1.63/5  rDev -44.6%

Normally I am a big fan of pumpkin ales. Every year around this time I get excited to have a few to settle my tastebuds over for the year. Unfortunately, this beer has (sorry the pun) left a bad taste in my mouth for pumpkin beers. Pours out a corona yellow with a fluffy head and tons of carbonation swirling in the glass. Not the appearance that I was hoping for with this style. I must admit that I have a bit of a cold/flu, but the aroma on this was like a cheap, watered down, Halloween candle. Nothing about it seemed authentic. The taste is tough to pin down, but regardless, is not good. It seems like a swill macro lager with melted ice and a bag of cinnamon. There is no depth whatsoever and it is a little painful to swallow. The mouthfeel is like chewing on aluminum foil. This one has to go down the drain.

ALESwhatCURESya, Oct 10, 2007
1.45/5  rDev -50.7%

Appearance- Crystal clear, light amber with a huge white head that has some staying power. No lacing at all.

Aroma- Somewhat overpowering with the pumpkin and spices. Smells like a liquid pumpkin pie. Lots of pumpkin, nutmeg and all-spice.

Taste- Wow. Very pumpkinny. Unfortunately, that's pretty much all you can taste. I REALLY hate to dump beer, but this one goes down the drain.

Mouthfeel- Fairly light body. Carboantion level is quite good.

Drinkability- Ughghghgh