Kennebunkport Pumpkin Ale - Federal Jack's Restaurant & Brew Pub

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Lothore on 09-12-2007

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last
2.46/5  rDev -15.2%

Procured by the significant other.

A: One shade darker than urine after a night of drinking. No head to speak of. Zero lacing.

S: Allspice is strong. No cinnamon or clove to speak of.

T: Just bland and stale. Most likely past its prime. Really just bland. More like an ale with a little spice than a pumpkin ale.

M: Well carbonated and it feels full in your mouth.

D: Not for me. Drainpour.

2.15/5  rDev -25.9%

You get what you pay for and I didnt pay much for this thank goodness.
Poured dark golden with a small head. Smell is BLAH..little bit of pumpkin and skunk behind it.
Overwhelming carbonation at first, followed by sweet but genuine pumpkin flavor. Not that bodied and lacks overall flavor. Not worth trying.

3.27/5  rDev +12.8%

A-Pours an orange-ish yellow w/thin white head. Slightly hazy.
S-Cinnamon, nutmeg, gourd, slight walnut.
T-Reminds me of a wheat beer accompanying my old neighbor's pumpkin-nut loaf, and also of a cinnamon-yam dish my wife made a couple Thanksgivings ago. Taste is a bit lighter than what I was expecting, and slightly sweet w/hints of tangelo. I originally marked this pretty low but it gets better after a couple sips, and the balance isn't too bad. Aftertaste gets a little sloppy and confused.
M-Too light for the flavors. It mixes heavy flavors w/very light texture, and although the carbonation gives it a little backbone, it falls short.
D-Actually quite refreshing, plus I got it on markdown.

2.98/5  rDev +2.8%

Kennebunkport Pumpkin-Head Ale Alias for Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale, purchased at Traders Joe's. 12 oz bottle. Orange-golden body. Smells like pumpkin, and pie spices. Nice smell combination. Flavorful, some bitterness, Wish I could try this on tap sometime.

3.56/5  rDev +22.8%

What a different beer. I've had Pumpkin ales before, but this one's a little different. It pours a very yellow/straw color. It reminded me of a pop at first the way the head appears not to leave a lace and quickly dissapears. The smell really turned me off right off the bat, just smelled wrong. BUt then I took a taste and Oh my, it was pretty good! The spices really come through, way more than the smell would indicate. Mouthfeel and drinkability are so,so. I like the taste, but with every taste you do have to bring it past your nose. It has a very similar smell to New Glarus' Belgian Red.

3.87/5  rDev +33.4%

This beer pours a pale, straw yellow color, with a thick, white head. The head fades quickly, leaving no lacing.

This beer has a slightly spicy aroma. I smell some pumpkin, and some nutmeg. It has a slightly grainy aroma as well. I also smell a little cinnimon. All aromas are very subtle.

This beer tastes mostly of cinnimon. I taste some pumpkin spice, and a little nutmeg. That is pretty much it for flavor. As with the aroma, the flavor is very subtle.

This beer is a little over carbonated. It leaves a cinnimon like aftertaste.

I think this beer would make a decent session beer. I may get tired of the cinnimon flavor after a while though. Alcohol is low, so that wouldnt be a problem.

Overall: Although not my favorite beer from the style, I dont have a problem with this beer. I would buy it again.

2.43/5  rDev -16.2%

12 oz bottle from Trader Joe's. Best by June 08 notched on label

A: Clear golden, slight amber color with a thick off white head, decent retention, not much lacing.
S: Grain, smells like a typical light beer but then in the background pumpkin pie.
T: Tastes like liquid pumpkin pie, but not overly strong. This isn't great, but is certainly drinkable, compared to some of the other beers in this line from TJ. Grainy, slightly sweet aftertaste. A little pepper spicing it up.
M: Body similar to a wheat beer. Thicker than the appearance would suggest. Not overly carbonated.
D: Not great, not terrible. My favorite of the kennebunkport beers TJ is selling. Still not anywhere near my favorite pumpkin beer, but for the price and availability I'd be tempted to pick up a few next year, especially for friends.

2.26/5  rDev -22.1%

A decent looking brew. Frothy white head sits proudly on top of a pale wheat colored vibrant body. Champagne like carbonation. Sliding lace.

Hmmmm odd. Not terrible, not good, just odd. Like an american wheat beer meets a sweet fruit beer. Except the wheat tends to jumble this up and make it too spent grainlike tasting. Sweet potatoes and cinnamon are among the slight pumpkin taste. A bit of pepper tries to sharpen things up. Lingering layer of sweetness remains on the palate.

Notes: I wasn't much for this debacle. It was drinkable but not worth the coin. Thin and lacks any complexity.

2.08/5  rDev -28.3%

I cannot for the life of me remember who gave me this beer. Whoever it was, big thanks! Drank from my Big Horn Mai Bock point glass.

Appearance- Pours a light yellow orange with terrific clarity. Forms a nice half finger head that disappears very quickly and leaves no cap and the smallest collar I’ve ever seen.
Smell- Lots of pumpkin and that’s pretty much about it. Not really much spice like I’ve come to expect from pumpkin ales.
Taste- Starts with a bit of pumpkin that isn’t all that “pumpkiny”. Some grainy malt that doesn’t seem to add much. Maybe a bit of cinnamon and nutmeg (maybe) to round out the taste. Finishes fairly cloying with some “pumpkin”.
Mouthfeel- Medium to thin body with fairly aggressive carbonation.
Drinkability- Well I think that if Miller was to make a pumpkin beer, they’d base it off this little guy. It’s got almost nothing in the nose and the taste is almost as bad. Not a great beer. Thanks much to whoever sent this to me, glad to have gotten to try it!

2.12/5  rDev -26.9%

Pours bright gold with only the smallest amount of head. Average all the way.

Cinnamon-dominated nose with substantial clove and trace nutmeg. Yup, all the "pie" scents are there. Diacetyl is along for the ride as well...

Ick! Like slightly sour water buttressed by stale grain. It's truly a train-wreck as almost no semblance of "pumpkin" remains after sifting through the chemical and off-flavors.

Watery with a sticky finish. An absolutely horrible stab at a pumpkin ale. This is the kind of beer that makes me wary of the style. Much like ambers, I wish brewers didn't feel like this were a mandatory beer. Do it well or don't do it.

1.43/5  rDev -50.7%

Saw this at Trader Joes... Whole Foods (or whole paycheck, if you prefer), has a much better selection, but I was in a hurry, and wanted to try a new pumpkin ale. Anyway, on to the beer....

Pours into a pilsner, with an ugly yellow color ( I won't even dignify it with a "Corona yellow"), decent head that quickly dissolves into nothing.

Heavy cinnamon, and a patently artificial pumpkin nose. First sip has a watery mouthfeel, much like Bud or Miller Lite, with an overly sweet taste. Second and third sips rapidly devolve into nothingness. It tastes much like (as mentioned earlier), Budweiser with a cinnamon stick thrown in.

I cannot recommend this beer under any circumstances, barring something involving scorpions and tender regions.

1.7/5  rDev -41.4%

Got a six pack the other day, this was my first offering from the Trader Joe's brand. I was quite dissapointed. Overbaringly sweet fruity smell in the nose, not alot of pumkin if any. some spices. The taste... Well, there's not alot i can taste besides the overly sweet, artificial fruit flavorings. I think i taste the "peach" they mentioned on the box. Somewhat tangy, which doesn't compliment the present tastes at all. This beer was unpleasant, and i had a hard time finishing my first one. if you see this beer and are tempted to grab a case, think twice.

1.99/5  rDev -31.4%

This beer was awful enough to inspire me to sign up for an account at BA to write a review. I found the first sip and it's aftertaste to be enjoyable, with pumpkin and spice taste. However the sips beyond the first exposed that the mouthfeel and taste are below par.

Perhaps those with sweeter tastes will enjoy this beer, I thought. So I poured some for a few ladies that enjoy sweet beers. Both did not care for it at all, citing the poor taste and bad aftertaste.

2.17/5  rDev -25.2%

The second of two Kennebunkport brews I bought recently and tried. The first was the blueberry ale.

This pumpkin ale pours a thin-looking, pale gold color with a weak head of foam that settles quickly into a thin crown. Not exactly what I was looking for in a "pumpkin ale." Perhaps I was expecting something a bit more colorful; something more robust in appearance. Oh well. The nose I find to be offensive. Very spicey, with lots of cinammon and pumpkin spice, but it doesn't come across as authentic pumpkin aroma at all. It's a bit over-the-top if you ask me. Not terrible, but it could use some adjustment. However, this beer tastes weaker than it smells. Much weaker, in fact. Thin, again, but peppery. But that's about where it ends. Some pumpkin-y spice residue lingers for a brief moment in the back of the mouth, but it's almost all washed away by the watery quality of the beer. Mouthfeel is thin, watery, and unimpressive to say the least.

This, as much as I hate to say it, is just a bad beer. There are few, if any, redeeming qualities to this thing. Federal Jack's Brewpub should be ashamed of themselves for peddling these wares. Avoid at all costs.

1.82/5  rDev -37.2%

I don't know why I try Trader Joe's own brews. I always walk away disappointed. Picked up a six pack of this yesterday after the clerk said it was "really good" and that people in the area were raving about it. If this beer teaches us anything, it's that people are dumb. I had one sip of this and introduced it to the drain. Starts off with a lot of cinnamon & some pumpkin pie (artificial flavors anyone?). Finishes with a skunk aftertaste that made me yearn for the sweet release of death. Mouthfeel is watery. Kind of like Budweiser if you threw in a cinnamon stick. Why do these ratings only go to 1? Why not 0? As of today, I am making up a new rating: 0.0 - Repulsive. Drinkability: 0.0. Never buy this beer.

3.61/5  rDev +24.5%

Pours with a thin head , no lacing. Clear copper color.

Nutmeg, pumpkin in the nose.

Hints of cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin pie.No hops , somewhat sweet caramel finish.

Mouthfeel is medium, decent carbonation.

Drinkability is fairly decent for this style.

3.52/5  rDev +21.4%

Decent head in the beginning, but this dies out completely to absolutely no bubbles and no head. Very pale color (light gold) and crystal clear.

Strong nutmeg aroma, slightly sweet.

Sweet flavor, think fermented pumpkin pie. Strong aftertaste. Thick mouthfeel and low carbonation. Slightly sour.

A traditional pumpkin ale with lots of pie spice--without flaws and frankly without excitement.

2.48/5  rDev -14.5%

Kennebunkport Pumpkin Ale
12 oz brown bottle
Best before May 08
Served in a 16 oz Harpoon IPA glass (which underutilize)

Pours a light orange with little fizzy bubbles. Decent head, but minimal head retention.

The nose is weak. Whiffs of cinnamon sticks.

Eh. The mouthfeel is a big problem. Watery with a seltzer paper annoyance.

Fall flavors like candy corn, cinnamon, all spice and nutmeg blend together. The unfortunate piece is this beer is lacking quality. I taste an artificial twang or splenda sweetness. I'll finish this beer, but probably not purchase again.

2.55/5  rDev -12.1%

Pours into a Pilsner with a white, quickly fading head and crystal-clear pale orange body. Smells and tastes like soda more than beer - sweet, carbonated, and light. It's definitely pumpkin, through and through. It goes down smoothly and tastes a little like beer as it disappears. It reminds me a bit of Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, with a different fruit. A nice drink, but lacking as a real beer.

Still, it's very autumnal and at least tonight, with dry leaves and cool air, it's good enough for seconds. I'll buy another 6er next fall, but that's probably it's place in the beer world.

1.65/5  rDev -43.1%

Normally I am a big fan of pumpkin ales. Every year around this time I get excited to have a few to settle my tastebuds over for the year. Unfortunately, this beer has (sorry the pun) left a bad taste in my mouth for pumpkin beers. Pours out a corona yellow with a fluffy head and tons of carbonation swirling in the glass. Not the appearance that I was hoping for with this style. I must admit that I have a bit of a cold/flu, but the aroma on this was like a cheap, watered down, Halloween candle. Nothing about it seemed authentic. The taste is tough to pin down, but regardless, is not good. It seems like a swill macro lager with melted ice and a bag of cinnamon. There is no depth whatsoever and it is a little painful to swallow. The mouthfeel is like chewing on aluminum foil. This one has to go down the drain.

1.49/5  rDev -48.6%

Appearance- Crystal clear, light amber with a huge white head that has some staying power. No lacing at all.

Aroma- Somewhat overpowering with the pumpkin and spices. Smells like a liquid pumpkin pie. Lots of pumpkin, nutmeg and all-spice.

Taste- Wow. Very pumpkinny. Unfortunately, that's pretty much all you can taste. I REALLY hate to dump beer, but this one goes down the drain.

Mouthfeel- Fairly light body. Carboantion level is quite good.

Drinkability- Ughghghgh

3.17/5  rDev +9.3%

I should have known better than to get my hopes up when I saw this sitting on the shelves at Trader Joe's in Cary. Most of their contract brewed stuff is ordinary at best. This pumpkin pours dark golden and all semblence of head dies within seconds. Smell is uninspiring; minute pumpkin and spice and some artificial smelling adjuncts.

Overwhelming carbonation at first, followed by sweet but genuine pumpkin flavor. Not much for body and the aftertaste is dull and flat but I have had worse pumpkins, although not many. Certainly not worth seeking out although I get a feeling you'd only find it at TJ's anyway.

2.23/5  rDev -23.1%

2 singles purchased from Trader Joe's

Bottles reads Kennebunkport Brewing Company, my guess branded this way just for Trader Joe's. The Pugsley Brewing Company in Portland is where this is brewed and bottled. Along with Shipyard and Sea Dog, these are all under the same parent company. I wouldn't be surprised if this beer and Sea Dog's Pumpkin Ale are exactly the same.

It's orange in color (surprise!) with virtually no head. The initial scent is gumball, quite pungently sweet. Notes of cinnamon, nutmeg and pumpkin follow up. But really it's sickly sweet, tasting more like a soft drink than a beer.

Why did I buy 2?

2.57/5  rDev -11.4%

"natural flavor added"

a: Already disappointed by the color of this one, pale golden with a hint of amber. Fizzy white head recedes to a respectable ring.

smell and taste: Smells like macro lager and pumpkin spice, and tastes the same. On the nose I get dry pale grains and a lightly sweet, fruity spice. Cant' tell if I'm picking up on some squashy aromas, but it's possible. Black licorice and leaves if I try. Dominant spice aroma smells of cinnamon and maybe some nutmeg. The tongue follows suit, with weak pale grains and a fake, almost Red Hot candy type cinnamon. Watery. Pale lager grain aftertaste, lightly hopped all around. Nothing offensive anywhere I guess, but very "safe". Aroma comes close to enjoyable.

m: Carbonation bordering on high, with a light body. Dry.

d: Easy I suppose, but not a very rewarding experience. My least favorite pumpkin of all. The macro lager of pumpkin ales.

single bottle from Trader Joe's Cary, best by June 2008

2.75/5  rDev -5.2%

A- Golden orange, completely clear and fizzy. Pours with a 1 finger head that dies down quickly with no lacing.

S- Smell is very faint but I can pick out the pumpkin flavor, an intense sweetness and a big amount of spices.

T- Tastes like pumpkin bread. Mettalic tinge at the end that didnt bug me at first but as I got to the bottom of the beer really started to make me feel like I was drinking something from a BMC.

M- A bit thin and very carbonated.

D- I dig the taste for something this price and I definitely don't regret drinking it but something this sweet is more of a novelty then something you could drink a few of. For the price at trader joes it definitely was at least on par with what I expected.

firstprev| 26-50 | 51-75 | 76-100  | next → last