1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Kennebunkport Pumpkin Ale - Federal Jack's Restaurant & Brew Pub

Kennebunkport Pumpkin AleKennebunkport Pumpkin Ale

poor

Federal Jack's Restaurant & Brew Pub visit their website
Maine, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  4.70% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Lothore on 09-12-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 149 | Reviews: 84 | Show All Ratings:
Vmaster

Arizona

1.68/5  rDev -41.9%

Got a six pack the other day, this was my first offering from the Trader Joe's brand. I was quite dissapointed. Overbaringly sweet fruity smell in the nose, not alot of pumkin if any. some spices. The taste... Well, there's not alot i can taste besides the overly sweet, artificial fruit flavorings. I think i taste the "peach" they mentioned on the box. Somewhat tangy, which doesn't compliment the present tastes at all. This beer was unpleasant, and i had a hard time finishing my first one. if you see this beer and are tempted to grab a case, think twice.

11-03-2007 04:10:33 | More by Vmaster
BeerSurfer

1.85/5  rDev -36%

This beer was awful enough to inspire me to sign up for an account at BA to write a review. I found the first sip and it's aftertaste to be enjoyable, with pumpkin and spice taste. However the sips beyond the first exposed that the mouthfeel and taste are below par.

Perhaps those with sweeter tastes will enjoy this beer, I thought. So I poured some for a few ladies that enjoy sweet beers. Both did not care for it at all, citing the poor taste and bad aftertaste.

11-01-2007 16:18:02 | More by BeerSurfer
Atlas1

2.13/5  rDev -26.3%

The second of two Kennebunkport brews I bought recently and tried. The first was the blueberry ale.

This pumpkin ale pours a thin-looking, pale gold color with a weak head of foam that settles quickly into a thin crown. Not exactly what I was looking for in a "pumpkin ale." Perhaps I was expecting something a bit more colorful; something more robust in appearance. Oh well. The nose I find to be offensive. Very spicey, with lots of cinammon and pumpkin spice, but it doesn't come across as authentic pumpkin aroma at all. It's a bit over-the-top if you ask me. Not terrible, but it could use some adjustment. However, this beer tastes weaker than it smells. Much weaker, in fact. Thin, again, but peppery. But that's about where it ends. Some pumpkin-y spice residue lingers for a brief moment in the back of the mouth, but it's almost all washed away by the watery quality of the beer. Mouthfeel is thin, watery, and unimpressive to say the least.

This, as much as I hate to say it, is just a bad beer. There are few, if any, redeeming qualities to this thing. Federal Jack's Brewpub should be ashamed of themselves for peddling these wares. Avoid at all costs.

10-31-2007 02:17:16 | More by Atlas1
jdubjacket

Georgia

1.75/5  rDev -39.4%

I don't know why I try Trader Joe's own brews. I always walk away disappointed. Picked up a six pack of this yesterday after the clerk said it was "really good" and that people in the area were raving about it. If this beer teaches us anything, it's that people are dumb. I had one sip of this and introduced it to the drain. Starts off with a lot of cinnamon & some pumpkin pie (artificial flavors anyone?). Finishes with a skunk aftertaste that made me yearn for the sweet release of death. Mouthfeel is watery. Kind of like Budweiser if you threw in a cinnamon stick. Why do these ratings only go to 1? Why not 0? As of today, I am making up a new rating: 0.0 - Repulsive. Drinkability: 0.0. Never buy this beer.

10-27-2007 18:10:16 | More by jdubjacket
shroompod

3.6/5  rDev +24.6%

Pours with a thin head , no lacing. Clear copper color.

Nutmeg, pumpkin in the nose.

Hints of cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin pie.No hops , somewhat sweet caramel finish.

Mouthfeel is medium, decent carbonation.

Drinkability is fairly decent for this style.

10-27-2007 00:10:11 | More by shroompod
smcolw

3.53/5  rDev +22.1%

Decent head in the beginning, but this dies out completely to absolutely no bubbles and no head. Very pale color (light gold) and crystal clear.

Strong nutmeg aroma, slightly sweet.

Sweet flavor, think fermented pumpkin pie. Strong aftertaste. Thick mouthfeel and low carbonation. Slightly sour.

A traditional pumpkin ale with lots of pie spice--without flaws and frankly without excitement.

10-21-2007 00:19:17 | More by smcolw
Hibernator

2.48/5  rDev -14.2%

Kennebunkport Pumpkin Ale
12 oz brown bottle
Best before May 08
Served in a 16 oz Harpoon IPA glass (which underutilize)

Pours a light orange with little fizzy bubbles. Decent head, but minimal head retention.

The nose is weak. Whiffs of cinnamon sticks.

Eh. The mouthfeel is a big problem. Watery with a seltzer paper annoyance.

Fall flavors like candy corn, cinnamon, all spice and nutmeg blend together. The unfortunate piece is this beer is lacking quality. I taste an artificial twang or splenda sweetness. I'll finish this beer, but probably not purchase again.

10-11-2007 23:01:50 | More by Hibernator
ptm121

2.53/5  rDev -12.5%

Pours into a Pilsner with a white, quickly fading head and crystal-clear pale orange body. Smells and tastes like soda more than beer - sweet, carbonated, and light. It's definitely pumpkin, through and through. It goes down smoothly and tastes a little like beer as it disappears. It reminds me a bit of Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, with a different fruit. A nice drink, but lacking as a real beer.

Still, it's very autumnal and at least tonight, with dry leaves and cool air, it's good enough for seconds. I'll buy another 6er next fall, but that's probably it's place in the beer world.

10-11-2007 00:00:17 | More by ptm121
ALESwhatCURESya

Wisconsin

1.63/5  rDev -43.6%

Normally I am a big fan of pumpkin ales. Every year around this time I get excited to have a few to settle my tastebuds over for the year. Unfortunately, this beer has (sorry the pun) left a bad taste in my mouth for pumpkin beers. Pours out a corona yellow with a fluffy head and tons of carbonation swirling in the glass. Not the appearance that I was hoping for with this style. I must admit that I have a bit of a cold/flu, but the aroma on this was like a cheap, watered down, Halloween candle. Nothing about it seemed authentic. The taste is tough to pin down, but regardless, is not good. It seems like a swill macro lager with melted ice and a bag of cinnamon. There is no depth whatsoever and it is a little painful to swallow. The mouthfeel is like chewing on aluminum foil. This one has to go down the drain.

10-09-2007 23:09:58 | More by ALESwhatCURESya
theopholis

1.45/5  rDev -49.8%

Appearance- Crystal clear, light amber with a huge white head that has some staying power. No lacing at all.

Aroma- Somewhat overpowering with the pumpkin and spices. Smells like a liquid pumpkin pie. Lots of pumpkin, nutmeg and all-spice.

Taste- Wow. Very pumpkinny. Unfortunately, that's pretty much all you can taste. I REALLY hate to dump beer, but this one goes down the drain.

Mouthfeel- Fairly light body. Carboantion level is quite good.

Drinkability- Ughghghgh

10-08-2007 01:47:07 | More by theopholis
daliandragon

3.2/5  rDev +10.7%

I should have known better than to get my hopes up when I saw this sitting on the shelves at Trader Joe's in Cary. Most of their contract brewed stuff is ordinary at best. This pumpkin pours dark golden and all semblence of head dies within seconds. Smell is uninspiring; minute pumpkin and spice and some artificial smelling adjuncts.

Overwhelming carbonation at first, followed by sweet but genuine pumpkin flavor. Not much for body and the aftertaste is dull and flat but I have had worse pumpkins, although not many. Certainly not worth seeking out although I get a feeling you'd only find it at TJ's anyway.

10-02-2007 02:31:43 | More by daliandragon
sloejams

2.2/5  rDev -23.9%

2 singles purchased from Trader Joe's

Bottles reads Kennebunkport Brewing Company, my guess branded this way just for Trader Joe's. The Pugsley Brewing Company in Portland is where this is brewed and bottled. Along with Shipyard and Sea Dog, these are all under the same parent company. I wouldn't be surprised if this beer and Sea Dog's Pumpkin Ale are exactly the same.

It's orange in color (surprise!) with virtually no head. The initial scent is gumball, quite pungently sweet. Notes of cinnamon, nutmeg and pumpkin follow up. But really it's sickly sweet, tasting more like a soft drink than a beer.

Why did I buy 2?

09-30-2007 00:43:59 | More by sloejams
blackie

2.53/5  rDev -12.5%

"natural flavor added"

a: Already disappointed by the color of this one, pale golden with a hint of amber. Fizzy white head recedes to a respectable ring.

smell and taste: Smells like macro lager and pumpkin spice, and tastes the same. On the nose I get dry pale grains and a lightly sweet, fruity spice. Cant' tell if I'm picking up on some squashy aromas, but it's possible. Black licorice and leaves if I try. Dominant spice aroma smells of cinnamon and maybe some nutmeg. The tongue follows suit, with weak pale grains and a fake, almost Red Hot candy type cinnamon. Watery. Pale lager grain aftertaste, lightly hopped all around. Nothing offensive anywhere I guess, but very "safe". Aroma comes close to enjoyable.

m: Carbonation bordering on high, with a light body. Dry.

d: Easy I suppose, but not a very rewarding experience. My least favorite pumpkin of all. The macro lager of pumpkin ales.

single bottle from Trader Joe's Cary, best by June 2008

09-26-2007 04:41:51 | More by blackie
Lothore

2.78/5  rDev -3.8%

A- Golden orange, completely clear and fizzy. Pours with a 1 finger head that dies down quickly with no lacing.

S- Smell is very faint but I can pick out the pumpkin flavor, an intense sweetness and a big amount of spices.

T- Tastes like pumpkin bread. Mettalic tinge at the end that didnt bug me at first but as I got to the bottom of the beer really started to make me feel like I was drinking something from a BMC.

M- A bit thin and very carbonated.

D- I dig the taste for something this price and I definitely don't regret drinking it but something this sweet is more of a novelty then something you could drink a few of. For the price at trader joes it definitely was at least on par with what I expected.

09-12-2007 01:36:32 | More by Lothore