Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Kennebunkport Pumpkin Ale - Federal Jack's Restaurant & Brew Pub

Kennebunkport Pumpkin AleKennebunkport Pumpkin Ale

Federal Jack's Restaurant & Brew Pub visit their website
Maine, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  4.70% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Lothore on 09-12-2007

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a shaker pint glass, yielded a slight half inch head that quickly faded to a thin film, leaving no lacing down the glass. Aroma was pretty scarce with a muted bit of spice, and something a bit sour I couldn't quite grasp. The taste was about the same, with the spice, especially nutmeg and a bit of cinnamon and clove. I also got just a hint of pumpkin, and a slight bit of hop bitterness and the same sour taste as what I smelled. Mouthfeel was pretty thin, but fairly well carbonated, probably the biggest redeeming value of the beer. Overall, this is not the greatest representation of the style, told my wife not to buy this from Trader Joe's in the future.

3.47/5  rDev +20.9%

What an impulse buy this was at TJs.

A- Nice finger of head formation, miniature distinguishable bubbles of wedding lace white, medium to low retention, creamy at first glance but instantly cracked like an amateur emulsion. Low lacing, but when its there its there to stick. Respectable in that area.

S- BLAM! Smack! Fantastic cinnamon. You'd not expect a decent aroma from this beer, but it actually presents well. Very distinguished pumpkin squash aroma, pumpkin pie moreso than anything else. Not the earthen gourd aroma you get from most, but nice to have an aroma all of its own. This is definitely going to be the high point from this beer. Everlasting cinnamon, like entire sticks of big red unwrapped a seat away from you soaked in pumpkin pie extract.

T- And... we start the slow decent into regret. Opens up pumpkin, earthy, grainy, squash flavors. Not much in terms of sweetness but definitely has its namesake identifiable in the first few seconds. Immediately following and overwhelming it is a rough and gritty cinnamon. Not the iconic flavors of cinnamon, but a muddied and dull spice flavor that tried to be baked into bread but never made it out. Your left thinking that this bready, adjunct-like malt fest started so great and quickly finished out blah. Oh, speaking of the finish, we have the pumpkin coming forth again, a cardboard layer around it, but mostly its a loaf of dollar store bread.

M- Crisp, very crisp right off the bat. Not burning out completely and lingering around even into most of the finish. The carbonation seems to cling to your mouth possibly ruining the flavors of the spices that could be there. Mild body, at times off-creamed but mostly thin. Long lasting and sticky for malt characteristics.

For what you paid for this, not bad at all. Bit over five bucks to have six of these beers that are drinkable but not amazing? I can dig it. It really had some great high points making me think I got more than my money's worth, but the lows... the lows definitely make you wish you hadn't I think I'll have good memories rather than bad, though.

3.46/5  rDev +20.6%

Pours a fizzy [pumpkin] orange with a small white head. Big aromas of cinnamon and molasses, with pumpkin pie coming through loud and clear. For me the nose is the high point. The taste is pleasantly spicy up front but the finish leaves something to be desired. It seems like the brewers took the "pumpkin challenge" very literally and the result is a beer that smells terrific and tastes alright but lacks any sort of malt/hop balance.

2.75/5  rDev -4.2%

A- Golden orange, completely clear and fizzy. Pours with a 1 finger head that dies down quickly with no lacing.

S- Smell is very faint but I can pick out the pumpkin flavor, an intense sweetness and a big amount of spices.

T- Tastes like pumpkin bread. Mettalic tinge at the end that didnt bug me at first but as I got to the bottom of the beer really started to make me feel like I was drinking something from a BMC.

M- A bit thin and very carbonated.

D- I dig the taste for something this price and I definitely don't regret drinking it but something this sweet is more of a novelty then something you could drink a few of. For the price at trader joes it definitely was at least on par with what I expected.

2.17/5  rDev -24.4%

The second of two Kennebunkport brews I bought recently and tried. The first was the blueberry ale.

This pumpkin ale pours a thin-looking, pale gold color with a weak head of foam that settles quickly into a thin crown. Not exactly what I was looking for in a "pumpkin ale." Perhaps I was expecting something a bit more colorful; something more robust in appearance. Oh well. The nose I find to be offensive. Very spicey, with lots of cinammon and pumpkin spice, but it doesn't come across as authentic pumpkin aroma at all. It's a bit over-the-top if you ask me. Not terrible, but it could use some adjustment. However, this beer tastes weaker than it smells. Much weaker, in fact. Thin, again, but peppery. But that's about where it ends. Some pumpkin-y spice residue lingers for a brief moment in the back of the mouth, but it's almost all washed away by the watery quality of the beer. Mouthfeel is thin, watery, and unimpressive to say the least.

This, as much as I hate to say it, is just a bad beer. There are few, if any, redeeming qualities to this thing. Federal Jack's Brewpub should be ashamed of themselves for peddling these wares. Avoid at all costs.

1.49/5  rDev -48.1%

Appearance- Crystal clear, light amber with a huge white head that has some staying power. No lacing at all.

Aroma- Somewhat overpowering with the pumpkin and spices. Smells like a liquid pumpkin pie. Lots of pumpkin, nutmeg and all-spice.

Taste- Wow. Very pumpkinny. Unfortunately, that's pretty much all you can taste. I REALLY hate to dump beer, but this one goes down the drain.

Mouthfeel- Fairly light body. Carboantion level is quite good.

Drinkability- Ughghghgh

2.12/5  rDev -26.1%

Pours bright gold with only the smallest amount of head. Average all the way.

Cinnamon-dominated nose with substantial clove and trace nutmeg. Yup, all the "pie" scents are there. Diacetyl is along for the ride as well...

Ick! Like slightly sour water buttressed by stale grain. It's truly a train-wreck as almost no semblance of "pumpkin" remains after sifting through the chemical and off-flavors.

Watery with a sticky finish. An absolutely horrible stab at a pumpkin ale. This is the kind of beer that makes me wary of the style. Much like ambers, I wish brewers didn't feel like this were a mandatory beer. Do it well or don't do it.

1.65/5  rDev -42.5%

Normally I am a big fan of pumpkin ales. Every year around this time I get excited to have a few to settle my tastebuds over for the year. Unfortunately, this beer has (sorry the pun) left a bad taste in my mouth for pumpkin beers. Pours out a corona yellow with a fluffy head and tons of carbonation swirling in the glass. Not the appearance that I was hoping for with this style. I must admit that I have a bit of a cold/flu, but the aroma on this was like a cheap, watered down, Halloween candle. Nothing about it seemed authentic. The taste is tough to pin down, but regardless, is not good. It seems like a swill macro lager with melted ice and a bag of cinnamon. There is no depth whatsoever and it is a little painful to swallow. The mouthfeel is like chewing on aluminum foil. This one has to go down the drain.

3.03/5  rDev +5.6%

Not my cup of tea. It was ok,but it tasted too artificial for me. There wasn't much body that shold be expected with this stle and really just tasted like a Bud Light with nutmeg sprinkled on top.

3.27/5  rDev +13.9%

A-Pours an orange-ish yellow w/thin white head. Slightly hazy.
S-Cinnamon, nutmeg, gourd, slight walnut.
T-Reminds me of a wheat beer accompanying my old neighbor's pumpkin-nut loaf, and also of a cinnamon-yam dish my wife made a couple Thanksgivings ago. Taste is a bit lighter than what I was expecting, and slightly sweet w/hints of tangelo. I originally marked this pretty low but it gets better after a couple sips, and the balance isn't too bad. Aftertaste gets a little sloppy and confused.
M-Too light for the flavors. It mixes heavy flavors w/very light texture, and although the carbonation gives it a little backbone, it falls short.
D-Actually quite refreshing, plus I got it on markdown.

3.61/5  rDev +25.8%

Pours with a thin head , no lacing. Clear copper color.

Nutmeg, pumpkin in the nose.

Hints of cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin pie.No hops , somewhat sweet caramel finish.

Mouthfeel is medium, decent carbonation.

Drinkability is fairly decent for this style.

2 singles purchased from Trader Joe's

Bottles reads Kennebunkport Brewing Company, my guess branded this way just for Trader Joe's. The Pugsley Brewing Company in Portland is where this is brewed and bottled. Along with Shipyard and Sea Dog, these are all under the same parent company. I wouldn't be surprised if this beer and Sea Dog's Pumpkin Ale are exactly the same.

It's orange in color (surprise!) with virtually no head. The initial scent is gumball, quite pungently sweet. Notes of cinnamon, nutmeg and pumpkin follow up. But really it's sickly sweet, tasting more like a soft drink than a beer.

Why did I buy 2?

2.23/5  rDev -22.3%

Purchased as a single (good thing) at Trader Joe's in Glendale.

A: Pours a pale orange color with a frothy, two-finger head that quickly fades to a thin rim of lace that fails to stick.

S: Cinnamon with notes of metal and smoke.

T: Thin-bodied and heavily carbonated with no appreciable malt or hop character. Mild pumpkin pie spicing. Bland without any bitterness. Finishes with a vague herbal quality. Basically, like drinking carbonated soda water with a dash of cinnamon. Egad.

M: As thin and over-carbonated as it gets.

D: Avoid. Not worthy of celebrating the harvest.

1.82/5  rDev -36.6%

I don't know why I try Trader Joe's own brews. I always walk away disappointed. Picked up a six pack of this yesterday after the clerk said it was "really good" and that people in the area were raving about it. If this beer teaches us anything, it's that people are dumb. I had one sip of this and introduced it to the drain. Starts off with a lot of cinnamon & some pumpkin pie (artificial flavors anyone?). Finishes with a skunk aftertaste that made me yearn for the sweet release of death. Mouthfeel is watery. Kind of like Budweiser if you threw in a cinnamon stick. Why do these ratings only go to 1? Why not 0? As of today, I am making up a new rating: 0.0 - Repulsive. Drinkability: 0.0. Never buy this beer.

2.97/5  rDev +3.5%

a: straw body; clear with vigorous upward movement; light head

s: pumpkins; gingerbread spice; sweet yeast; a real spiciness; pumpkin pie; molasses and honey

t: strong sweet honey; molasses; pumpkin gingerbread; yeastiness

m: very agressive and very watery

d: very disappointing and thin in flavor and body but still drinkable because of the sweet pumpkinness

3.68/5  rDev +28.2%

Appearance- pours a slightly watery, pale gold, almost straw color with a bubbly off-white head and little lace. Oddly light for a pumpkin ale.

Smell- Heavy on the spice- cinammon and nutmeg are almost powerful enough to hide the faint malt, and nearly undetectable hops.

Taste- Again, lots of pumpkin pie spices, but also some sweet honey and caramel malt to balance. Decent crispness and a little dryness on the finish. Actually leaves me wanting more. 4

Mouthfeel- As expected, a little on the light side, but not bad, given the crisp flavor.

Drinkability- When compared with some of the other, (usually overspiced) pumpkin ales, this one turns out to be a pretty refreshing drinker. I'd like to get my hands on a six pack if i could.

3.77/5  rDev +31.4%

A standard pour of Kennebunkport's Pumpkin Ale yields a light amber body and a fizzy head that falls quickly. Carbonation is minimal.

The nose comprises spices, mostly. All-spice, clove, a bit of ginger, and a dash of cinnamon. I don't pick up as much cinnamon as other reviewers.

I've tried a couple dozen or so Pumpkin Ales. Some pride themselves on not emulating that famous Thanksgiving dessert. Some attempt to recreate its appealing mix of aromatics, richness, and vegetal earthiness. This beer falls squarely into the latter category. This brew tastes exactly like pumpkin pie. Sweet malts; pumpkin pie spices.

Though balanced in terms of sweetness, this beer's mouthfeel could be improved by increasing the pumpkin and malts. This beer tastes like pumpkin pie. A denser, richer mouthfeel, and a creamier, more viscous foam, would make it feel like one too.

I can't recall the last time I drank one of these "re-create-the-pumpkin-pie-in-a-bottle" beers and thought, "Ah, yes! Pumpkin pie!" Usually, they just taste like amber ales with some cinnamon tossed in for kicks. This one wipes the floor with most "re-creators" pumpkin ales.

If you're looking to drink your Thanksgiving desert this season, pick up some KBC Pumpkin Ale. Thanks to this brew, I'll be able to have my pie and drink it too.

3.14/5  rDev +9.4%

I enjoyed this beer from the comfort of my own living room. From the 12oz bottle to a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a golden yellowish/orange color with a thin white head that disappears quickly. Not a very inviting look.

Smell: Pumpkin spice, nutmeg and cinnamon. A huge improvement over the appearance.

Taste: Spicy pumpkin nutmeg. Not much aftertaste. This is surprising, considering the amount of spice that hits up front.

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated and thin-bodied.

Drinkability: Not nearly as bad as the previous reviews led me to believe. At the same time, this isn't my favorite pumpkin ale and could definitely improve in the look and taste department. Wouldn't seek out again, but wouldn't kick it out of bed either.

2.92/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: I was able to get a little over a finger of cream-colored head with an aggressive pour, and it had decent retention. The color was between amber and straw, with just a hint of haze.

S: Very subtle, not strong pumpkin, but some cinnamon. If the label didn't say otherwise, I'd swear I was smelling an American wheat beer rather than an ale.

T: OK, now I sense the pumpkin and spice, with a sweet and bready malt. Faint hops make an appearance as it finishes going down. It's not at all bad, but it isn't very good either. It actually gets better with subsequent swigs, as the pumpkin and spice flavors work their way deeper into the taste-buds.

M: Not much carbonation, and just enough dryness to make you want to keep drinking.

O: Not a very intense pumpkin ale - just OK in that category. I'd classify it as a lighter, fruity ale for a mid-afternoon quaff to quench your thirst.

2.98/5  rDev +3.8%

Kennebunkport Pumpkin-Head Ale Alias for Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale, purchased at Traders Joe's. 12 oz bottle. Orange-golden body. Smells like pumpkin, and pie spices. Nice smell combination. Flavorful, some bitterness, Wish I could try this on tap sometime.

3.11/5  rDev +8.4%

Poured to a golden yellow with no head. Looked just like Budweiser.

Smelled of pumpkin. Couldn't smell any spices or other aromas.

Tasted like artificial pumpkin. It's sweet too, maybe a little too sweet. But it's not terrible. Having one, so it's okay with me. I don think I'd drink more though.

The beer is too watery and has very little body. Aside from that, it's fine.

I'm not impressed. This may be one of he poorer pumpkins I've tried this season. Still, it's not absolutely terrible and could do in a pinch.

The 2014 selection has a nicer taste than I remember, and I am increasing the score for both the taste and overall from a 3.0 and 2.5 to a 3.25 and 3.0 respectively.

1.5/5  rDev -47.7%

Purchased at Trader Joes. Pours a light straw yellow with a thin white head that quickly fades. Aroma of... nasty sugar and faint pumpkin. Light bodied with a crisp carbonation. Flavors of pumpkin pie spice and a sweetness that is just... off. I'm not really sure how to describe it. This beer is pretty damn horrible.

2.23/5  rDev -22.3%

Purchased at a Trader Joe's in Vegas... Think it may be a bad bottle- its pretty funky, and not in a good way.

A- Pale golden-orange. Not very impressive for a pumpkin ale. No head to speak of.

S- Smells sour. A little bit of allspice dangling around in the back

T- Pumpkin? Spices? Where are they? Tastes like a so-so pale ale. ...Oh, wait. A little bit of cinnamon can be detected in the finish. I've been to Federal Jack's and have had this (as Shipyard) on tap & it was pretty tasty, don't know what happened here.

M- Blah. Thin bodied. Ummm, that's about it.

D- Was hoping for a pumpkin ale, got a lightly spiced pale.

3.92/5  rDev +36.6%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

A- Clear yellow/orange in color with a bright white head.

S- Sweet pumpkin spice, not much else

T- Much like the smell but more complex. Sweet malts, perhaps caramel which gives way into pumpkin spice with a mild bitterness at the end

M- Mostly light in body with some mild carbonation

O- I think its a good pumpkin ale. Perhaps kinda simple, but certainly enjoyable.

2.33/5  rDev -18.8%

bottle BB april 09. damn pumpkin beers get the better of me... bastards!

pours a bit emaciated... clear orange with a small white head which doesn't want to stick around.

lots of spice in the nose though little to no actual pumpkin to speak of... sweet (maybe grains but not really. just sweet.), nutmeg, fake plastic-y floral smell and a lager yeast aroma akin to the cheap stuff.

the palate is quite dry given the sugary aroma. again, it's really spicy with mild/sparse pumpkin/earthiness, faint caramel-y malt and that same plastic-y taste on the finish. light bodied with prickly carbonation which makes it acidic and a bit harsh.

i tried to like this, i really did.

Kennebunkport Pumpkin Ale from Federal Jack's Restaurant & Brew Pub