Kennebunkport Pumpkin Ale - Federal Jack's Restaurant & Brew Pub

Federal Jack's Restaurant & Brew Pub visit their website
Maine, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  4.70% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Lothore on 09-12-2007)
2.75/5  rDev -5.5%

psmith161, Oct 24, 2013

mwar, Dec 02, 2012

AJ01923, Mar 13, 2013
3.08/5  rDev +5.8%

A-Pours clear dark golden color with a thin, fizzy off white head. No lacing.

S-Kind of weird. Smells like the water after you boil root vegetables, nutmeg, the inside of a dentist's office. Something artificial in here.

T/M-An average kolsch (or some kind of lighter german ale) with a burst of cinnamon and nutmeg mid-palate. There's a hint of earthiness, suggesting there may be some actual pumpkin in this. However, it's not enough to make the beer interesting. Light bodied and crisp, with a cinnamon/nutmeg finish.

O-An average, inoffensive pumpkin ale. I'll take it over Buffalo Bill's.

DaveHS, Nov 01, 2011
3.43/5  rDev +17.9%

What an impulse buy this was at TJs.

A- Nice finger of head formation, miniature distinguishable bubbles of wedding lace white, medium to low retention, creamy at first glance but instantly cracked like an amateur emulsion. Low lacing, but when its there its there to stick. Respectable in that area.

S- BLAM! Smack! Fantastic cinnamon. You'd not expect a decent aroma from this beer, but it actually presents well. Very distinguished pumpkin squash aroma, pumpkin pie moreso than anything else. Not the earthen gourd aroma you get from most, but nice to have an aroma all of its own. This is definitely going to be the high point from this beer. Everlasting cinnamon, like entire sticks of big red unwrapped a seat away from you soaked in pumpkin pie extract.

T- And... we start the slow decent into regret. Opens up pumpkin, earthy, grainy, squash flavors. Not much in terms of sweetness but definitely has its namesake identifiable in the first few seconds. Immediately following and overwhelming it is a rough and gritty cinnamon. Not the iconic flavors of cinnamon, but a muddied and dull spice flavor that tried to be baked into bread but never made it out. Your left thinking that this bready, adjunct-like malt fest started so great and quickly finished out blah. Oh, speaking of the finish, we have the pumpkin coming forth again, a cardboard layer around it, but mostly its a loaf of dollar store bread.

M- Crisp, very crisp right off the bat. Not burning out completely and lingering around even into most of the finish. The carbonation seems to cling to your mouth possibly ruining the flavors of the spices that could be there. Mild body, at times off-creamed but mostly thin. Long lasting and sticky for malt characteristics.

For what you paid for this, not bad at all. Bit over five bucks to have six of these beers that are drinkable but not amazing? I can dig it. It really had some great high points making me think I got more than my money's worth, but the lows... the lows definitely make you wish you hadn't I think I'll have good memories rather than bad, though.

Khazadum, Oct 25, 2011
3.08/5  rDev +5.8%

First pumpkin beer of the season this year!

Appearance: Thin head, golden amber in color (rather less orange than I would have expected). Poor retention and no lacing.

Smell: Pumpkin pie spices, especially ginger. Some spicy hops and caramel malt.

Taste: Pumpkin-y, but slightly acid and artificial-tasting. Mineral water finish.

Mouthfeel: Spritzy carbonation, light/med body

Drinkability: Decent pumpkin beer.

hunteraw, Oct 08, 2008
3.4/5  rDev +16.8%

Pours a fizzy [pumpkin] orange with a small white head. Big aromas of cinnamon and molasses, with pumpkin pie coming through loud and clear. For me the nose is the high point. The taste is pleasantly spicy up front but the finish leaves something to be desired. It seems like the brewers took the "pumpkin challenge" very literally and the result is a beer that smells terrific and tastes alright but lacks any sort of malt/hop balance.

droomyster, Sep 30, 2009

bh123, Oct 26, 2012
3.5/5  rDev +20.3%

TheMarkE, Jan 09, 2013

ali1987, Sep 22, 2013
2.78/5  rDev -4.5%

A- Golden orange, completely clear and fizzy. Pours with a 1 finger head that dies down quickly with no lacing.

S- Smell is very faint but I can pick out the pumpkin flavor, an intense sweetness and a big amount of spices.

T- Tastes like pumpkin bread. Mettalic tinge at the end that didnt bug me at first but as I got to the bottom of the beer really started to make me feel like I was drinking something from a BMC.

M- A bit thin and very carbonated.

D- I dig the taste for something this price and I definitely don't regret drinking it but something this sweet is more of a novelty then something you could drink a few of. For the price at trader joes it definitely was at least on par with what I expected.

Lothore, Sep 12, 2007

lilsmizzul1225, Jan 14, 2013
3.63/5  rDev +24.7%

What a different beer. I've had Pumpkin ales before, but this one's a little different. It pours a very yellow/straw color. It reminded me of a pop at first the way the head appears not to leave a lace and quickly dissapears. The smell really turned me off right off the bat, just smelled wrong. BUt then I took a taste and Oh my, it was pretty good! The spices really come through, way more than the smell would indicate. Mouthfeel and drinkability are so,so. I like the taste, but with every taste you do have to bring it past your nose. It has a very similar smell to New Glarus' Belgian Red.

madtowndmb1, Feb 22, 2008

DbbC, Oct 12, 2013

TrojanWheels, Jan 19, 2012
1.45/5  rDev -50.2%

Appearance- Crystal clear, light amber with a huge white head that has some staying power. No lacing at all.

Aroma- Somewhat overpowering with the pumpkin and spices. Smells like a liquid pumpkin pie. Lots of pumpkin, nutmeg and all-spice.

Taste- Wow. Very pumpkinny. Unfortunately, that's pretty much all you can taste. I REALLY hate to dump beer, but this one goes down the drain.

Mouthfeel- Fairly light body. Carboantion level is quite good.

Drinkability- Ughghghgh

theopholis, Oct 08, 2007
2.03/5  rDev -30.2%

Pours bright gold with only the smallest amount of head. Average all the way.

Cinnamon-dominated nose with substantial clove and trace nutmeg. Yup, all the "pie" scents are there. Diacetyl is along for the ride as well...

Ick! Like slightly sour water buttressed by stale grain. It's truly a train-wreck as almost no semblance of "pumpkin" remains after sifting through the chemical and off-flavors.

Watery with a sticky finish. An absolutely horrible stab at a pumpkin ale. This is the kind of beer that makes me wary of the style. Much like ambers, I wish brewers didn't feel like this were a mandatory beer. Do it well or don't do it.

malcontent, Nov 09, 2007
2.13/5  rDev -26.8%

The second of two Kennebunkport brews I bought recently and tried. The first was the blueberry ale.

This pumpkin ale pours a thin-looking, pale gold color with a weak head of foam that settles quickly into a thin crown. Not exactly what I was looking for in a "pumpkin ale." Perhaps I was expecting something a bit more colorful; something more robust in appearance. Oh well. The nose I find to be offensive. Very spicey, with lots of cinammon and pumpkin spice, but it doesn't come across as authentic pumpkin aroma at all. It's a bit over-the-top if you ask me. Not terrible, but it could use some adjustment. However, this beer tastes weaker than it smells. Much weaker, in fact. Thin, again, but peppery. But that's about where it ends. Some pumpkin-y spice residue lingers for a brief moment in the back of the mouth, but it's almost all washed away by the watery quality of the beer. Mouthfeel is thin, watery, and unimpressive to say the least.

This, as much as I hate to say it, is just a bad beer. There are few, if any, redeeming qualities to this thing. Federal Jack's Brewpub should be ashamed of themselves for peddling these wares. Avoid at all costs.

Atlas1, Oct 31, 2007
1.63/5  rDev -44%

Normally I am a big fan of pumpkin ales. Every year around this time I get excited to have a few to settle my tastebuds over for the year. Unfortunately, this beer has (sorry the pun) left a bad taste in my mouth for pumpkin beers. Pours out a corona yellow with a fluffy head and tons of carbonation swirling in the glass. Not the appearance that I was hoping for with this style. I must admit that I have a bit of a cold/flu, but the aroma on this was like a cheap, watered down, Halloween candle. Nothing about it seemed authentic. The taste is tough to pin down, but regardless, is not good. It seems like a swill macro lager with melted ice and a bag of cinnamon. There is no depth whatsoever and it is a little painful to swallow. The mouthfeel is like chewing on aluminum foil. This one has to go down the drain.

ALESwhatCURESya, Oct 09, 2007

dominic4beer, Jun 10, 2012

WhitmansNiece, Nov 12, 2012
3.25/5  rDev +11.7%

A-Pours an orange-ish yellow w/thin white head. Slightly hazy.
S-Cinnamon, nutmeg, gourd, slight walnut.
T-Reminds me of a wheat beer accompanying my old neighbor's pumpkin-nut loaf, and also of a cinnamon-yam dish my wife made a couple Thanksgivings ago. Taste is a bit lighter than what I was expecting, and slightly sweet w/hints of tangelo. I originally marked this pretty low but it gets better after a couple sips, and the balance isn't too bad. Aftertaste gets a little sloppy and confused.
M-Too light for the flavors. It mixes heavy flavors w/very light texture, and although the carbonation gives it a little backbone, it falls short.
D-Actually quite refreshing, plus I got it on markdown.

BoitSansSoif, Mar 19, 2008
3.6/5  rDev +23.7%

Pours with a thin head , no lacing. Clear copper color.

Nutmeg, pumpkin in the nose.

Hints of cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin pie.No hops , somewhat sweet caramel finish.

Mouthfeel is medium, decent carbonation.

Drinkability is fairly decent for this style.

shroompod, Oct 27, 2007