Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Kennebunkport IPA - Federal Jack's Restaurant & Brew Pub

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: Monkeyknife on 12-01-2007

1.19/5  rDev -57.8%

....a Trader Joe's budget buy

Pours a reddish gold with a creamy tall quivering head; smells of stale beer and wet grains; taste is extremely malty and sickeningly sweet with a metallic aftertaste--not sure where the hops are; not much like an IPA at all (255 characters)

1.22/5  rDev -56.7%

This was probably the most unbalanced and oddest/ grossest tasting beers I've ever had. It tasted nothing like the style. It was almost sweet and spiced like their winter ale. The hops tasted like they were synthetic and seldomely added to the wort. (249 characters)

1.23/5  rDev -56.4%

Chunky homebrew looking light brown and burnt auburn looking beer. No head or lace, prolly because the carbonation is on par with that of a cask ale. Aroma was alcohol, tea and earthy soil.

Taste, solventy alcohol, no hops, dirt grittiness. Medicinal almost, like when you chew up your Vicodin to get a better rush (not that I would know). Mouthfeel of that stuff, sure. But that stuff isn't good.

This is the worst ipa I've ever had. Keeping with the prescription medication references, another BA (corpulent) who has drank this beer w/ me before (it took like 2 years to get rid of a 6 pack of this crap) once told me a story about trying darvocet for the first time. To illustrate how sucky it was he said "Darvocet = the kennebunkport ipa of narcotics." Great line.

For my two cents, I think it really tastes like they brought some butthole soup to the bottling line. (876 characters)

1.25/5  rDev -55.7%

12oz bottle
Served in a nonic pint glass

A - It poured an amber colored body with three fingers of beige head.

S - The aroma is fruity with toasted malt.

T - The taste is just awful. There is absolutely no resemblance to an ipa. A lot of caramel malt with a metallic bitterness.

M - The taste is so bad that I can't even concentrate on the mouthfeel.

D - I never drain pour beer. But this is as close as it gets. I recommend avoiding this beer. Worst IPA ever! (465 characters)

1.26/5  rDev -55.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

I bought this upon recommendation of Trader Joe's employees. They ranted and raved about how good this was. Mind you, it's not listed on here under KBC, so I didn't search for it successfully in the store like I usually do most beers.

Anyways... I got it home, tried it, and it SUCKS. I can't taste ANY hops in here. Even at a buck a bottle, I wouldn't buy this again, unless I were using it for beer pong. (407 characters)

1.27/5  rDev -55%

Got this beer as a "gift" I would not consider this an IPA at all. There is no hop aroma, no hop flavor. A very poor pale ale at best. Would not recommend especially if you enjoy a good quality IPA. The only thing this beer has in its favor is that it pours a nice color and had a decent head. (293 characters)

1.28/5  rDev -54.6%

I picked this up at Trader Joe's for $5.99 a six. I have never heard of or seen this beer before. This is the worst beer I have ever had. Taste is very very sweet with a strong soap flavor that lingers. This does not have that bitter hop taste of a I.P.A. This was husky soap sweet. Not true to style. I could not finish one 12 oz bottle. I asked the check out girl if she had tried it she said no but I could return it for a refund if didn't like it. I found my receipt in the trash and will get my money back tomorrow. What kills me is I have five beers that I cant drink and it's too late to go out. Should have picked up the stone I.P.A.. Hind sight is 20/20 and this beer is garbage. AVOID! (695 characters)

1.32/5  rDev -53.2%

Poured into a snifter on 6/25/10

Best before Feb 2011

Burnt amber color; clear with a slight haze. Visible carbonation bubbles for a few moments. In short order one finger of head is reduced to a skim & bubbles, though swirling revives a brief layer - such is retention. Minimal, spotty lace.

Where are the hops? This doesn't at all smell like an IPA of any type. No pine, no citrus. The best I can say is it has some kind of "floral" thing going on. The aroma is almost entirely comprised of effervescent, medicinal plum, maybe some other nondescript darker fruits. A touch of yeast way in the back. No caramel, biscuit or any other malt presence I associate with the style.

Ugh, it tastes just as inappropriate as it smells. If I didn't know better, I would assume this is some kind of off-brand attempt at plum-infused tea; the kind you find at Odd Lots. Very medicinal, it has a weird, metallic bitter twine toward the finish. Is this meant to pass for hops? Surely not. Some grassiness shows up, too. As with the nose, no proper maltiness for the style. What gives?

Medium bodied with rather low carbonation. Honestly, I doubt it much matters what level of carbonation Kennebunkport could have used; there's simply no saving this beer. It's gritty throughout but finishes especially so with the feeling of dirt lingering.

Kennebunkport IPA is drinkable in that it hardly tastes like a beer (certainly not an IPA). At best you could call this a bad take on a Scottish Ale; that would be a gift. I suppose it's befitting that the core of their name is "bunk;" this beer is a mockery at best. Again, it isn't an IPA; thus, it is a failure. (1,650 characters)

1.38/5  rDev -51.1%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

When into trader joe's to get a six. it was sandwiched in between a bunch of good beers I knew well, but were about 8/9 dollars a six Went for the bargain at 5.99. It tasted like nothing, except a little hoppy at the end. It reminded me of Bud Red Dog (from back in Highschool) with a hoppy (but not so happy) ending. I wish I went for the 9 dollar six. KBC IPA is the kind of beer one buys once. I will drink it if it was free, but certainly would not buy it again. Life is too short. (485 characters)

1.4/5  rDev -50.4%

Poured from bottle to pint glass. I want to preface the review by saying my buddy picked this up for me at Trader Joes because it was relatively cheap and knew I liked IPAs... I wasn't expecting much when I heard the price.

A- This actually pours pretty darn decent. This is a very deep orange color that is approaching amber. Nice 2 finger head that is a pale tan color. There is a ton of visible carbonation, which could be a result from the etched glass. I will say, the stability on this head is very impressive also.

S- Annnnd it goes down hill. Way too much caramel for an IPA. There is even a bit of DMS aroma that follows and there is virtually no hop aroma other maybe just a bit of a floral hint if my imagination gets creative.

T/M- Terrible. Horrid. This is all a really shitty malt forward beer. I get a ton of DMS and strong plastic/medicinal flavor. No hops at all. If any hops are there, its all covered up by the taste of a used 12 year old plasstic sex doll (not that I know from experience or anything)

O- I would take BMC over this, at least it would quench my thirst on a hot day. Drainpoured 4 of these, I just couldn't take it. And, I did take at least one drink from every single beer I poured out just to make sure it wasn't one bad bottle... they were all hell in a bottle
*this is officially my first fail- didn't think it would come so soon (1,372 characters)

1.44/5  rDev -48.9%

A: Pours a coppery color with a cream colored head and good retention. So far so good.

S: I can't believe they can label this an IPA when it smells like this. I've smelled lagers with more hops than this. Cereal malts, boiled corn and grain.

T: Gross, gross, gross, gross, gross. Possibly the worst beer I've ever had. I didn't think anything could be worse than Kennebunkport's Wheat Beer but this blows that one away. It has a weird lager flavor upfront followed by this really off, acidic metallic flavor that goes through the finish. It's a little bitter, but not in a hoppy way at all. This beer tastes like licking rust. Absolutely awful. Avoid at all costs! (667 characters)

1.53/5  rDev -45.7%

a: Nice head quality to this, disappeared a little quick but a light head still remains throughout. A lighter copper color with a rosé hue to it.

s: This is an ineresting aroma. I am getting fruitiness. Apples and apricot and some light banana. Some light spice to it as well, cinnamon.

t: The bitterness is paired with a caramel malt while squeezuing in fruitness...I do not enjoy much as they are not complimentary of one another. I also get a strong sour taste which leaves me not wanting more.

m: A light mouthfeel quickly clears the mouth which is nice because I am sruggling here.

o: I have enjoied most beers I have tasted from Maine - was very excited to try this beer however I feel as though they were truly trying to put to much into the bottle and the end result is an over-flavored, awkward beer. (814 characters)

1.62/5  rDev -42.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured a nice clear amber with a light tan head. Looks nice, unfortunately its all down hill from here.

Smells just of pure stale malt, where are the hops? Even for English IPA its hopless or is hopeless, about the same thing in this case.

Taste stale and flat even though the dating on the label would suggest that it is fresh, no hops at all, in fact barely even bitter.
Just tastes cheap and bad.

The mouthfeel is watery.

This beer stinks, easily one of the worsts IPA's I have ever had, not even hoppy enough to be a good amber. (536 characters)

1.64/5  rDev -41.8%

Appearance: Pours an amber bronze color. Decent head and lacing.

Smell: Malts and alcohol. No hops present whatsoever.

Taste: Chalky, metallic, flat and a sweet malty mess.

Mouthfeel: Decent carbonation but very thin and watery.

Overall: not a good IPA at all, actually not a good beer in general. I picked up a 6 pack for $5 on a gamble. Let this review save you $5. (373 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -39.7%

I have tried a number of beers from Trader Joes. For the most part, they are not the best of breed, but they are good. This one was very disappointing.

This beer is not an IPA. I expect a nice bite, a large taste of hops and a lingering aftertaste to enjoy.

I tasted little hops and an off flavor that made me think of grape kool-aid. Another reviewer said something about plums. OK, I'll buy that.

I poured the bottle into a Sam Adams perfect Pint glass. I didn't get around to noticing the head or anything. I was too shocked at the first taste. It was unpleasant. I didn't finish the glass. After about five or six tries, I poured it out!

I will give it a second try, just in case I got a messed up bottle or something fell into it. I'll drink one of these first in an evening so my palette will be fresh. Also, the beer had only been in the fridge for about 2 hours. I would have thought that was a good serving temp, cool but not cold.

If I change my mind, I will update my review. (992 characters)

1.71/5  rDev -39.4%

Poured this from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. The beer poured a burnt orange color semi cloudy. It produced a white head but retention was poor. After 1 min there was 0 head left. The aroma of the beer is not what I would expect for an IPA. I smell very slight amount of hops but mostly a floral and medicinal aroma. It gets worse with the taste- No hops to speak of- A very bad medicinal taste and hints of caramel. Not sure how this can be an IPA. Overall very bad beer. If I did drain pours, this would be one. IM going to suck it up and take one for the team. (568 characters)

1.72/5  rDev -39%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a mug.

Appearance: Pours a somewhat dark amber color. Clear, with visible carbonation. Fairly thick yet small off-white head with decent retention.

Smell: Mostly corn and grass malts, with just a hint of hoppy spice.

Taste: Lots of cereal malts (corn in particular) with a bit of bitter and mildly spicy hops thrown in. Aftertaste has a few occasional "spikes" of bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Light- to medium-bodied with lots of carbonation. Relatively smooth.

Overall: Drinkable, yet... ugh...

Shame on Trader Joe's for selling this swill, and marketing it as an IPA! Of course, they sell some cheapo/not-so-good beer, but they don't pretend it is something else. The fake craft IPAs from major grocery chains like Safeway are light-years ahead of this stuff. Pretty awful. (801 characters)

1.79/5  rDev -36.5%

A: single finger head with amber copper color

S: terrible smell, similar to a wet dog covered in flower smelling soap... Not much else

T: very malty carmel taste with a slight bitterness to it

M: full, carbonated body, but not a good carbonated body... its too fizzy, like an alka-seltzer

O: unbalanced, not at all what an IPA should resemble. Just a terrible beer. (369 characters)

1.92/5  rDev -31.9%

Picked this up at trader joes. Poured a dark amber color with an average amount of head. Not the typical hoppy nose. Smells a little off. Not a good flavor either. Doesn't seem like an IPA at all. Need to pound this one and move on Not a big fan of this beer. Live and learn. (275 characters)

2.01/5  rDev -28.7%

From 12oz bottle to Bruges hybrid glass on 5/17/11
*From notes

Best by date: November 2011

A: Redish burgundy in color. A hard pour yields a 2.25 finger head and dissapointing lacing.

S: Not really getting a whole lot of anything. It's slightly grainy, with a bit of boiled corn mash. Hops? Forgetaboutit!

T: Tame. Too tame in fact. Lame cereal grains up front, mild malt on the mid, with a slight dose of hops on the finish. It's like the brewmaster forgot to add the hops, and settled for tossing a few pellets in at the last second.

M: Thin and watery. This drinks more like a flabby APA.

O: Trader Joe's sells some really nice, good quality budget brews. This sadly, ain't one of them. Pick up a sixer of their Mission St. IPA instead and call it a day, as Kennebunkport's IPA is just that: bunk. (806 characters)

2.02/5  rDev -28.4%

Poured into a pint glass.

First off, this beer looks REALLY nice. Nice color, solid head, and good retention. However, things go downhill really quickly. I took a sniff of this and said "This is not an IPA." There is no really hop presence on the nose - very much an amber or red. The taste follows with no assertiveness. Lots of sweetness, but very little bitterness. In fact, as it warms, it gets even sweeter - weird. Not sure what was going on with this beer - maybe it's mislabeled? Not recommended. (505 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -27%

Picked it up at Trader Joes, which seems to be where most of the people who reviewed this beer got it. Luckily I only got one in a mix-a-six. I've never seen this beer or heard of the brewer elsewhere before.

It's a really weird beer. I'm drinking it right now, and it's just not an IPA, or even an east-coast IPA, as one would expect. Very little hop bitterness. No bitter backbone. Sweet, but with a weird sort of off-flavor that shows up occasionally, especially in the aroma. Simply not to style as an american pale ale. More like a british ale, but not a good one either. There's probably a reason these are only found in Trader Joes. Don't let the cheapness sucker you in. (679 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -27%

Medium copper color, crystal clear. Thin head but some lacing.

Wet two-row and just a little C-hop aroma. Not up to IPA standards.

Overwhelmingly metallic and astringent.

Very drying, nice carbonation.

It is going to be hard to finish this bottle. Since I couldn't make my own sixer at trader Joe's, I've got 5 left to give to 'friends". (342 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -25.5%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with generally appealing label art and a branded screw-top pressure cap purchased at the Trader Joe's in Austin. Served cold into a pilsner glass. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated. 5.70% ABV.

Expectations are low given the brewery and this beer's current 66 rating. Best before: June 2015. Reviewed live as an IPA per the label.

No bubble show forms as it's poured.

HEAD: One finger wide. Off-white colour. Nice creaminess, thickness, and fullness, with a soft even consistency and a generally good complexion. Leaves no lacing as it recedes. Retention is above average - about 4 minutes.

BODY: Clear copper of average vibrance. Clean; no yeast particulate or hop sediment is visible. Translucent.

Appears well-carbonated. Overall, it's a nice looking IPA but isn't unique or special.

AROMA: English malt. Caramalt. Sweet caramel. Cream. Faint marshmallow. Faint biscuit. It's quite the malt-bomb for an IPA, with no noticeable hop profile aside from some spruce and floral notes. English yeast with odd attenuation.

A pleasant aroma of average strength. Completely wrong for the intended style, but not off-putting.

No alcohol or off-notes are detectable.

TASTE/TEXTURE: Copper malts, English malt, caramalt, caramel sweetness, a touch of marshmallow, a kiss of spruce, faint generic floral hop character...this just plain isn't an IPA. The hop profile is weak and pathetic and the malts dominate but aren't pleasant. Too sweet and syrupy.

Smooth, wet, medium-bodied, overcarbonated, and unrefreshing. Far too thick and heavy on the palate for a beer with such low depth of flavour.

It's horribly imbalanced, and lacks any subtlety whatsoever. A very plain brew with no intricacy or nuance.

Average duration and intensity of flavour.

Unfortunately, the alcohol is actually noticeable - which is inexcusable at a meagre 5.7%.

This texture is a poor companion to the beer.

OVERALL: A poor brew that I'll be avoiding in the future. Not worth its admittedly low price. Fundamentally fails at satisfying the style's requisite hop notes. Not worth trying, and not recommended.

(2,157 characters)

2.11/5  rDev -25.2%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Medium copper-color with mild head retention and moderate carbonation to the top of the glass.

Smell: Mostly sweetness with little representation of hops, whether its earthiness, citrus, or anything. Never would've guessed this was an IPA.

Taste: Way too sweet for an IPA, with not enough hops or anything biting whether it's herbal or citrus or anything else.

Mouthfeel: A bit too cloying and sweet with not enough carbonation.

Drinkability: One of the weakest IPAs I've ever tasted, but again, it's nothing I can't drink. That said, it's not something you want to seek out. If you're at TJs, grab a bottle at your own risk and try it if you want, but there are better beers. (729 characters)

Kennebunkport IPA from Federal Jack's Restaurant & Brew Pub