Kennebunkport IPA - Federal Jack's Restaurant & Brew Pub

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: Monkeyknife on 12-01-2007

2.79/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

A: Pours a medium amber color. The head is small and the retention is almost
non existent. lacing is also terrible.

S: Sweet and malty. Fruits. Toffee or coffee?

T/M: Clean and watery. Light hop presence. Sweet malts. Light carbonation.
Has a small hop bitterness, but it quickly fades away.

O: Is this an IPA? Pass.

2.77/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

My husband bought from Trader Joes. Said " they won a medal." I said, what were you thinking? Maine beer in Chicago Trader Joes? Off load for a cheap price. I was right. Not gonna bother with a review other than to say: a sloppy beer, not sure it was an IPA, and never going to get again.

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Hoppy but not as citrusy as I'd like. Certainly far from the best IPA I've ever had, but at barely a buck a bottle from Trader Joe's it's very drinkable on a warm summer day. The fact that it's more reminiscent of an English than an American IPA doesn't justify some of the low ratings here. As I read some of the ratings I question whether we're drinking the same beer or if the recipe changed.

3.69/5  rDev +29.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

$1.17 @ Trader Joe's #766, Tampa, FL

Basic amber colored ale with a limited head of off-white foam. Moderate aroma of a lightly caramelish malt base and spicy & floral/citrusy hops. The flavor follows suit, and it's quite "middle-of-the-road", which is neither good nor bad, but certainly not exciting. I can't figure out if it's more English or American in nature, but I guess I've got to go with English as the hops aren't really there, and it's not even that strong. Medium-light in body and gently crisp. Overall I wouldn't seek it out, but neither would I turn it down.

1.26/5  rDev -55.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

I bought this upon recommendation of Trader Joe's employees. They ranted and raved about how good this was. Mind you, it's not listed on here under KBC, so I didn't search for it successfully in the store like I usually do most beers.

Anyways... I got it home, tried it, and it SUCKS. I can't taste ANY hops in here. Even at a buck a bottle, I wouldn't buy this again, unless I were using it for beer pong.

This was just one month old but the hops were not suitably strong enough to warrant calling this an IPA. I get a mixture of lemon and a light herbal note that compliments a sweet caramel body. Some rose petal and a ribbon of floral perfume coasts through. This is weak and cheap, but at $1 a bottle that's to be expected. I found this off style but with enough flavor to warrant a try.

2.49/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

This cheap IPA gets a almost 3 overall rating only because it connects to a Pabst skunkiness that I have a weak spot for. nostalgia aside, the carmel color and drinkability of this decently heavy IPA is a good cheap option.

2.92/5  rDev +2.5%

The FDA should have a rule that a label cannot say IPA unless hops have actually touched liquid. Glad I bought one bottle instead of a whole 6-pack at Trader Joes. Possibly the recipe changed? ABV is 5.7% and color is closer to brown than to "bronze" or "copper" in previous reviews. No trace of Federal Jack on the label, and it says brewed in Portland ME not Kennebunkport. Definitely not worth $6 a six-pack when Mission Street IPA is the same price.

With my limited experience judging beer, I have a hard time understanding some of the reviews here. Folks go into a lot of detail about things that I don't make out – like caramel and malty taste factors, and grassy hop smell. I can tell that there are hops in this brew and that it has a crisp refreshing taste; and someone said that the finish is dry – I agree. The head is light, and lacing is minimal, but when all is said and done there's still a wee bit left. Torpedo blows this brew out of the water, but it's a good beer, and as of this review will be my standard of comparison for a good average brew (3 points across the board). I'm reporting on a 12 oz. bottle from Trader Jose's with a freshness date of June 2015.

2.1/5  rDev -26.3%

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with generally appealing label art and a branded screw-top pressure cap purchased at the Trader Joe's in Austin. Served cold into a pilsner glass. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated. 5.70% ABV.

Expectations are low given the brewery and this beer's current 66 rating. Best before: June 2015. Reviewed live as an IPA per the label.

No bubble show forms as it's poured.

HEAD: One finger wide. Off-white colour. Nice creaminess, thickness, and fullness, with a soft even consistency and a generally good complexion. Leaves no lacing as it recedes. Retention is above average - about 4 minutes.

BODY: Clear copper of average vibrance. Clean; no yeast particulate or hop sediment is visible. Translucent.

Appears well-carbonated. Overall, it's a nice looking IPA but isn't unique or special.

AROMA: English malt. Caramalt. Sweet caramel. Cream. Faint marshmallow. Faint biscuit. It's quite the malt-bomb for an IPA, with no noticeable hop profile aside from some spruce and floral notes. English yeast with odd attenuation.

A pleasant aroma of average strength. Completely wrong for the intended style, but not off-putting.

No alcohol or off-notes are detectable.

TASTE/TEXTURE: Copper malts, English malt, caramalt, caramel sweetness, a touch of marshmallow, a kiss of spruce, faint generic floral hop character...this just plain isn't an IPA. The hop profile is weak and pathetic and the malts dominate but aren't pleasant. Too sweet and syrupy.

Smooth, wet, medium-bodied, overcarbonated, and unrefreshing. Far too thick and heavy on the palate for a beer with such low depth of flavour.

It's horribly imbalanced, and lacks any subtlety whatsoever. A very plain brew with no intricacy or nuance.

Average duration and intensity of flavour.

Unfortunately, the alcohol is actually noticeable - which is inexcusable at a meagre 5.7%.

This texture is a poor companion to the beer.

OVERALL: A poor brew that I'll be avoiding in the future. Not worth its admittedly low price. Fundamentally fails at satisfying the style's requisite hop notes. Not worth trying, and not recommended.

2.94/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

A: crystal clear; bronze colored; 2 finger off white head that receded slowly to a thin cap; very nice lacing;

S: earthy, herbal, a little caramel;

T: a little sour; finish has a little bitterness, but the sourness is still there; date on bottle is 4/15, so it's not old;

M: medium bodied; moderate carbonation;

O: can't get past the sourness;

3.22/5  rDev +13%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I was surprised to see this beer rate so poorly. I flew in from CA and was treated by one of these beers which was purchased at Trader Joe's (I am always hesitant to buy or drink beer from a discount beer place. Especially a place that doesn't store beer the correct way.). The beer was nothing outstanding but I did not detect any crazy off flavors or anything unpleasant. The one thing I didn't like is that this beer comes off more like a Pale Ale than an IPA. Low hop aroma and flavor, not a very bitter beer and not the most ABV ( this beer doesn't even top 5.7). The one thing I liked about this beer is the easy drinking qualities this beer had. I had several and was not sluring my words and the beer tasted just fine. If someone passed me this beer in a glass and told me nothing about it, I would not even have a single complaint.

2.82/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I found this single 12oz bottle at the Trader Joe's in Glen Ellyn, IL for the extremely low price of just $1 a bottle. Actually it is not all that uncommon to find prices like that at Trader Joe's. No freshness date.

The beer poured a clear amber/orange color but made just a thin rim for a head and left very little lacing.

The beer had a spicy hop smell to it along with a buttery/butterscotch aroma.

Grassy hop flavor along with a touch of citrus. The malt is more bready than caramely, and the bitterness is kind of low for an IPA. Can't say that the flavor wowed me over.

Light to medium body with medium carbonation.

It's drinkable, but kind of blah, and not very IPA-like.

3.4/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

I am somewhat questioning what category this beer really is. Put anything into the IPA category that's not grossly over-hopped and it will get poor ratings. Although it's got notable bitterness, this really doesn't come across like an IPA, not even an English one. It lacks distinct hoppiness, but might have a touch of diacetyl, as it reminds me of Samuel Smith's organic pale ale.

All that being said, it's not a bad beer at all. Tho not outstanding, it's plenty drinkable.

1.38/5  rDev -51.6%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

When into trader joe's to get a six. it was sandwiched in between a bunch of good beers I knew well, but were about 8/9 dollars a six Went for the bargain at 5.99. It tasted like nothing, except a little hoppy at the end. It reminded me of Bud Red Dog (from back in Highschool) with a hoppy (but not so happy) ending. I wish I went for the 9 dollar six. KBC IPA is the kind of beer one buys once. I will drink it if it was free, but certainly would not buy it again. Life is too short.

3.41/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Bright orange color, some carbonation and not much of a head or lacing
Smell is not distinct of anything, neither sweet or citrus
Some citrus at the beginning. Not clear or distinct. Hops at the end are ok and linger.
Good mouthfeel. Not watery.
An ok IPA, chilled for a warm day. The price is the best thing about it.

3.45/5  rDev +21.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle with an expiration date of Dec '14. Sampled on March 9, 2014.

It has an attractive pour with its medium amber color and great clarity. Modest off-white head,

Let's look at this aroma. It is hopped which should be expected from an IPA. But generally it is more of a caramel malt sweetness with a hop balance than anything else. Balance OK.

Medium body.

The taste tends to lean more on the sweet side than the hoppy side,. This is OK but for an IPA I was expecting more of a bite. Still, there is a decent caramel maltiness followed by the bitterness. Nothing extra-ordinary but fairly drinkable

2.89/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Deep copper color with brilliant clarity. Minimal head covers most of the top of this beer. Aroma of pine like hops but they don't seem very prominent. The mouth is a bit warm and salty. The flavor is a bit like that of an IPA strained through a dirty sock. The aroma seems to promise more but that taste is rather odd.

3.75/5  rDev +31.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I'm hoping this is the same beer that is also referred to as KBC IPA? The label looks different from what's pictured here but it does say Kennebunkport Brewing. I actually like this a lot, even though it has a taste that's somewhat thinner and maybe slightly more bitter than my favorite IPAs. I find it crisp and refreshing, and besides that it's a good choice for the value - only $6 for 6 at Trader Joe's!

2.68/5  rDev -6%

Served on tap in a pint glass.

Appearance: Amber color with a thin white head.

Smell: Mild smell of pine and hops.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth medium bodied. Taste is a strong bitter pine and hops taste. very mild citrus in the background.

Overall: I am a huge IPA guy and I did not really care for this brew. They could have done better.

3.1/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured into my Sam Adams perfect pint glass, best by 4/14. Pours a bright orange, with a one inch white head, that leaves some lace. Smell is hard candy, tangerine, apple cider, grapefruit, and caramel. Taste is all about hard candy, caramel, and grapefruit. Body is medium, plenty of carbonation, a little dry, and goes down easy enough. Not my thing, but I am not a huge fan of English IPAS.

3.16/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a bottle into an american pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a thick, deep orange with syrupy haze with a two finger head that stuck around for a bit and left good amounts of lacing.

Smell: Smells very fruity and malty with lots of zesty citrus notes. It's extremely hard to get hops from on the nose, but they are there lurking in the background.

Taste: First comes a wave of caramel malts flavor with vague, indistinguishable fruit notes. This is them followed up with quite a stale happiness that doesn't provide a lot of flavor, but rather overpowers the initial maltiness by being too aggressive in it's bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Slick, syrupy mouthfeel with just the right amount of carbonation. Surprisingly the best part of the beer.

Overall: I want to like this beer, I really do...but unfortunately I would not recommend it. It smells too sweet, isn't very well balanced in flavors and is just missing something special to make it stand out. It isn't the worst I've had, but it certainly isn't the best. It's just a boring, average IPA with nothing special to offer.

3.4/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

KBC's IPA's beautiful, syrupy amber body is let down by a weak, fizzy head with very little staying power. IPAs' heads should be sticky, thick, and inviting. This one isn't.

The nose is malt-forward, which is acceptable in an English-style IPA. American renditions of this style have pushed hoppiness to the extreme, and drinkers with hop-filled expectations are bound to be disappointed by this brew.

This beer tastes hoppier than it smells. As the nose suggested, aroma hops are understated. But bittering hops are assertive, and nicely balance the very rich, sweet malts. As the beer warms, and as I swirl it around in my glass, hop aromas become more assertive. When they do, the floral hoppy flavors round out the very sweet malt nicely. I recommend letting this beer warm for 5-10 minutes before enjoying.

This is a drinkable, affordable (read: inexpensive) English IPA. I'm surprised to read so many negative reviews. Perhaps my colleagues on BA were expecting the kind of in-your-face hop-wallop that American IPAs offer. This beer doesn't offer anything like that. It's very sweet, heavily malted, fairly bitter, and throws in lots of citral and a few herbal notes for good measure. I'm okay with that.

3.04/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

12oz bottle poured into a tulip. Best by April 2014 notched on the label.

A: Pours a clear amber with a frorthy white head. Spots of lacing on the sides of the glass as the head dissipates. Some visible carbonation.

S: Not a very strong aroma, hops are a bit difficult to pull out. Fermented fruit.

T: A decent amount of hop bitterness in this one. Tempted to say there is more bitterness than flavor from the hops. Not sure how good that is. Malts add some carmel sweetness to it but are again overpowered by bitterness.

M: Medium body with somewhat low carbonation. A tad sticky from the combination of hops and malt sweetness. Dry finish.

Overall to the point IPA at a reasonable price. Won't blow you away with flavor but still has more than your standard beer.

3.74/5  rDev +31.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I found this to be a very enjoyable brew with nice bitterness, but not overly alcoholic. It had adequate carbonation, a solid mouth-feel, and a good finish. I like an IPA that is strong on bitterness, but less than 7.0% alcohol, so I can enjoy more than one.

Kennebunkport IPA from Federal Jack's Restaurant & Brew Pub