Kennebunkport IPA - Federal Jack's Restaurant & Brew Pub

poor

Federal Jack's Restaurant & Brew Pub visit their website
Maine, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Monkeyknife on 12-01-2007)
2.63/5  rDev -5.4%

What can I write in this review that will differentiate it from the others? Decent appearance with a fair head retention, a slightly floral scent and a non-obtrusive taste that leaves a lot to be desired. A slight bitterness comes in during the aftertaste, with carbonation being very present. I echo hmk22's comment that this could be considered a "gateway beer" but it's largely forgettable. Not bad for a dollar.

TheStig, Dec 25, 2010
3.38/5  rDev +21.6%

I'm not as negative as some reviewers about this beer...it's not going to make the IPA Hall of Fame, but it's a decent IPA style for the price. I find that context is important with a lot of these Trader Joe's and Whole Foods "house brand" beers -- they are from no-name or "dba" breweries and are probably developed for palates that are (or aspire to be) above the BMC fray but aren't ready to (say) sign up for a BA account. So beer aficionados will always be a little disappointed (as the reviews illustrate), but TJs and WF are legendary for reading their customer base and giving them what they want, so these offerings fill a niche, and not so badly IMO. Who knows, maybe they can be "gateway" beers to the major stuff.

hmk22, Dec 16, 2010
2.4/5  rDev -13.7%

I purchased this IPA from Trader Joe's.

Appearance: Amber/Copper color. It maintained a head for a short while.

Smell: A mild hops aroma.

Taste: A mild hops flavor with a metallic after taste, which I did not like.

This is the mildest IPA I have had so far. I prefer a bolder presence of hops from an IPA. This seemed to lean more towards red ale than an IPA.

I don't think I would choose this beer again if I had another beer to choose from...depending on the choice of course!

allrizz, Dec 15, 2010
3.03/5  rDev +9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz from Trader Joe's into nonic

A: pretty dark, almost copper in color. offwith head with a nice pillowy presence, leaving only a lil' lacing

S: a little sour, a bit of a bready malt, not much hops either in the citrus or the pine variety in the nose

T: some corn and medicinal flavors, it ends a bit nutty and bready, only at the very end do i get any bitterness from hops. this is more amber ale than IPA

M: very nice crispness, smooth body, lots of malt apparent

D: It's OK, but it is not really much of an AIPA. I think the marks would be better if they labeled it an amber or copper ale. The price is nice, however.

waldoiverson, Dec 08, 2010
3.1/5  rDev +11.5%

Finally a less than good beer from Trader Joe's. Everything I had previously from Trader Joe's has been shockingly good. This is a very mediocre IPA.

Looks good...Pours a clear amber color into a pint glass. Nice size white head, good retention and good lacing. Smell was very mild and malty...hardly good for an AIPA. Taste is malty with the finishing bitterness coming with a metallic taste.

Mouthfeel was a bit weak and thin. The metallic finish don't help the mouthfeel either.

Drinkability is average. This one is not worthy of mass consumption

JayQue, Dec 07, 2010
1.2/5  rDev -56.8%

Chunky homebrew looking light brown and burnt auburn looking beer. No head or lace, prolly because the carbonation is on par with that of a cask ale. Aroma was alcohol, tea and earthy soil.

Taste, solventy alcohol, no hops, dirt grittiness. Medicinal almost, like when you chew up your Vicodin to get a better rush (not that I would know). Mouthfeel of that stuff, sure. But that stuff isn't good.

This is the worst ipa I've ever had. Keeping with the prescription medication references, another BA (corpulent) who has drank this beer w/ me before (it took like 2 years to get rid of a 6 pack of this crap) once told me a story about trying darvocet for the first time. To illustrate how sucky it was he said "Darvocet = the kennebunkport ipa of narcotics." Great line.

For my two cents, I think it really tastes like they brought some butthole soup to the bottling line.

Beerandraiderfan, Oct 06, 2010
2.6/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Amber in color with a thin at best head.

S - Very sweet and malty. Maybe a bit nutty. Not at all what I'd expect in an IPA

T - Again - Sweet, caramel malts and a touch of hops mixed in. Not a very well balanced taste at all

M - Medium carbonation and dry.

D - Not the most horrid thing on earth, but it wasn't a strong and bitter IPA by any measure. Seemed a little synthetic to me.

gopens44, Oct 06, 2010
1.6/5  rDev -42.4%

I have tried a number of beers from Trader Joes. For the most part, they are not the best of breed, but they are good. This one was very disappointing.

This beer is not an IPA. I expect a nice bite, a large taste of hops and a lingering aftertaste to enjoy.

I tasted little hops and an off flavor that made me think of grape kool-aid. Another reviewer said something about plums. OK, I'll buy that.

I poured the bottle into a Sam Adams perfect Pint glass. I didn't get around to noticing the head or anything. I was too shocked at the first taste. It was unpleasant. I didn't finish the glass. After about five or six tries, I poured it out!

I will give it a second try, just in case I got a messed up bottle or something fell into it. I'll drink one of these first in an evening so my palette will be fresh. Also, the beer had only been in the fridge for about 2 hours. I would have thought that was a good serving temp, cool but not cold.

If I change my mind, I will update my review.

dogchasecats, Sep 29, 2010
3.45/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz into a pint

A - Very translucent brown color, clear. Strong pearly white head formation, well retained at about 1mm. Lightly bubbly.

S - Light amount of caramel malts, and an equally light amount of earthy hopping. A sour note is present, indicating this may be beyond its age.

T - Starts off lightly malty, a hair of those toasted/nutty caramel malt notes. Grows bitter, starts to show more hopping. A flash of that sour note sneaks through. Finishes with a fairly strong bitter note. Very dry. Some of the actual floral hop flavors finally show up in the aftertaste.

M - Moderate body - even strong carbonation bite. Carbonation may be a little bit overdone. Finishes with some oily and grassy textures on the tongue.

D - Moderate drinkability. A bit filling at times. ABV unlisted. A decent beer to have with equally strong cheese. Perhaps not entirely great on its own.

katan, Sep 03, 2010
3.5/5  rDev +25.9%

First of all, why doesn't this brewery want us to know who it is? Their whole line of brews is named Kennebunkport in big letters across the top and in small letters underneath is says that this is from the KBC Brewing Company, but the site here says Federal Jack's Brewpub. Then, on the side of the bottle it says, 'Hand Brewed by: Pugsley Brewing LLC. WTF!? Is this just a bunch of guys who through in money to have someone contract brew their homebrew recipes? I imagine the business meeting to have gone something like this:

"I like Pugsly Brewing."

"That's stupid! KBC is much more contemporary and hip."

"You guys are both wrong. I wanna name it after my favorite species of French Poodle, the Kennebunkport."

"Guys, guys... this is our brew. We can name it whatever we want to."

"Old Federal Jack is right! Let's name it all of our swell names."

"YAY!" "Hooray" "HIP HIP"

But I digress... (please don't flag me Federkennepugsleykbcjackport brewing co.)

Standard IPA color, medium orange with a 1 finger head. Head retention is pretty decent and for the style it is spot on in competition standards. UBER-filtered; no hop oil floating around in this one.

I get a barley-wine type of sweetness in the nose. I hope it is not that strong. Some grassy, cat pee hop aroma, though not in a bad way if you can dig it. Hint of bubblegum sugar aroma.

I'll say some good things: pleasantly sweet flavor, good balance between malt and hops. The bad: very light, must have used some very mild hops because the flavor is so delicate that I might imagine this one to be a British IPA and could maybe use a little of that british ale yeast to flavor it up a little.

Fine body, but a little light for my impression of the style. Very smooth.

This would be a good pale at a brewpub, not so much when competing with Green Flash's and Boulder Brewing's hoppy beers. Still, this would be a good sessioner from the draught.

tapman, Aug 31, 2010
3.9/5  rDev +40.3%

Appearance: Dark amber/copper with small white head that is about 2 centimeters thick. Head disappears after a couple of minutes. Carbonation seems lively.

Smell: Not getting a big bouquet, some mild malty notes.

Taste: Sharp, crisp, citrus notes present with a biscuit-like/bread note that hits the palate right after. The hop presence is well balanced with the malts. This beer seems typical of traditional New England styled ales.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, smooth mouthfeel with a taste that lingers around for a little while on the palate.

Drinkability: Easy drinkability, excellent IPA, definitely worth buying a second time, would be good introduction to IPAs for a newcomer to the style.

(Reviewed from notes)

JoKo, Aug 10, 2010
2.55/5  rDev -8.3%

purchased from TJ's Framingham

let me start by saying I much preferred the "Mission St." IPA which is brewed by Firestone Walker in CA

5.99 for a 6 pack increases value, for sure!

a: amber
s: mild hops/citrus
t: very little hops for the style
m: average carbonation
d: mild mannered ipa, drinkability is the only thing I am impressed with

concealed, Aug 09, 2010
2.6/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured this into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass and set it on the counter. The eighth of an inch of foam that capped this beer literally disappeared in the amount of time it took me to turn aroound to the sink, rinse out the bottle, and turn back. If I hadn't seen the head when I poured it, you couldn't have convinced me that it had one to start with.
The aroma is minimal, but decent. Nothing jumps out at you. It smells fruity, almost peachy. You have to sniff deep and long to get anything from it.
The flavor is mediocre. I don't see how this can be called an IPA. It's a pale ale at best. It reminds me of Magic Hat #9, and that's not a good thing.
I'm really glad I only had one bottle of this. I definitely won't look for this beer again.

KrisPaulk77, Jul 11, 2010
2.65/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured from bottle to standard pint glass

A: Hazy golden amber

S: Citrus with honeydew. Very mild. You really have to stick your sniffer in to get a whiff.

T: Hoppy bitterness that recedes rather quickly to a bubblegum and honeydew flavor. Plum is definitely in there as well, as pointed out by many other reviewers.

M: Not much carbonation, and comes off a little watery for an American IPA.

D: If you are looking for an IPA, you might want to keep looking. This doesn't taste, nor feel like one. Its not horrendous, but its not great either.

FlyingRabbit, Jul 07, 2010
1.3/5  rDev -53.2%

Poured into a snifter on 6/25/10

Best before Feb 2011

Burnt amber color; clear with a slight haze. Visible carbonation bubbles for a few moments. In short order one finger of head is reduced to a skim & bubbles, though swirling revives a brief layer - such is retention. Minimal, spotty lace.

Where are the hops? This doesn't at all smell like an IPA of any type. No pine, no citrus. The best I can say is it has some kind of "floral" thing going on. The aroma is almost entirely comprised of effervescent, medicinal plum, maybe some other nondescript darker fruits. A touch of yeast way in the back. No caramel, biscuit or any other malt presence I associate with the style.

Ugh, it tastes just as inappropriate as it smells. If I didn't know better, I would assume this is some kind of off-brand attempt at plum-infused tea; the kind you find at Odd Lots. Very medicinal, it has a weird, metallic bitter twine toward the finish. Is this meant to pass for hops? Surely not. Some grassiness shows up, too. As with the nose, no proper maltiness for the style. What gives?

Medium bodied with rather low carbonation. Honestly, I doubt it much matters what level of carbonation Kennebunkport could have used; there's simply no saving this beer. It's gritty throughout but finishes especially so with the feeling of dirt lingering.

Kennebunkport IPA is drinkable in that it hardly tastes like a beer (certainly not an IPA). At best you could call this a bad take on a Scottish Ale; that would be a gift. I suppose it's befitting that the core of their name is "bunk;" this beer is a mockery at best. Again, it isn't an IPA; thus, it is a failure.

Ryan011235, Jun 25, 2010
3.8/5  rDev +36.7%

A: Nice burnt orange/amberish color. Thin white head that sticks a round a little and leaves some slight lacing.

S: Slight citrusy and fruity smell to the beer. No real strong notes though.

T: The taste has a slight amount of fruit with a little hoppy finish. The hops linger on the tongue for a while. The amount of hops isnt too significant so most IPA drinkers might be left wanting more.

M: Decently thick. Definitely had more chew to it than I was expecting. Also has a good amount of carbonation that keeps on going.

D: It's a drinkable beer. I'd call it a mild mannered IPA with not too much hops.

Overall: Overall the beer is an OK IPA. The beer doesnt overwhelm with hops, which I liked, but most hop lovers might be disappointed. If you want an IPA with minimal hops, than give this beer a try.

bgildea, Jun 21, 2010
2.63/5  rDev -5.4%

Got a 6pack from Trader Joes for $6. Not bad for the price. Has a pleasant and mild fruity taste for an IPA. Not very hoppy at all. Decent for a warm spring afternoon. I wouldn't go out of my way to get it but might pick it up again considering the price. This is truly a "get what you pay for" beer at $6.

dball, May 02, 2010
3.43/5  rDev +23.4%

12 ounce bottle, from a six pack a buddy purchased at Trader Joe's. Has "Best enjoyed before" dating notched onto the side of the label. Pours clear, glowing orange tinged amber, medium tan head, leaves barely adequate bits of lace. Lightly leafy hop nose. On the malty side for an AIPA. Hops barely present and not packing anything close to a punch. Works as a sessioner. Nothing to get too excited about.

Billolick, Apr 29, 2010
2.58/5  rDev -7.2%

Brewed by Shipyard. Bottle dated, expires in June. Copper colored with a thin white head that is quick to dissipate into a speckled skim retention. Leaves a few wisps of splashy lace.

Intensely sweet and malty at first then like a super sugary black jelly bean then steely. It doesn't smell bad at all, it's just missing a key ingredient: hops.

Taste is a little biscuity, a little toasted and has a nice English buttery yeast strain. Again, it's good, just hop-less. There might be a bit of swampy hop in there but I think I'm just projecting my desire to like this beer. Reminds me of Geary's Hampshire Special ale, only without the booze and hops...which I guess is completely different. Still a good beer though, just not an IPA.

An IPA without hops is like AC/DC without rock. A travesty.

donkeyrunner, Apr 09, 2010
2.95/5  rDev +6.1%

12oz bottle purchased from Trader Joes, poured into a pint glass.

Has a dark amber color, with some head that faded quickly.

Smells grassy and malty. Some citrus to the smell.

Taste is very sweet. Some citrusy hop flavors, hint of apple, more fruits, and malt. Not very hoppy, though. Not what I was expecting.

Feels slick on the tongue. Bubbly and prickly feeling, and finishes dry. Leaves my mouth feeling slick.

Drinkability is medium. I could drink a few of these without issue.

Now whether I'd want to is another story. As others have said, this is not really an IPA. It's a tasty beer, better than a lot of the crap out there, but by no means great, and not representative of it's style. I scored it as an IPA, since this is what it claims to be.

Would I drink it again? Maybe. It's cheap and easily available at Trader Joes which is a plus. I wouldn't turn it down if it was offered to me. But I'm not going out of my way to get it when there's better beers, even in this price range.

ghostee, Mar 20, 2010
2.7/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured from a brown 12 ounce bottle into a pub glass. The color is great, deep copper, transparent, a white 1'' head. Receding quickly and leaving a collar of retention and bubble islands.

Aroma is off for an ipa, it has great malt character and sweet grain aroma. But there are no hops at the nose at all. Kinda odd for an ipa dont ya think?

Taste also lacks any real ipa flavors. This seems more like a real good pale to me. Flavors of malt are dominant, sweet nectar really. Plenty of grain flavors, caramel buttered rolls, and a touch of pecan nuttiness.
Hops dwindle into the finish with the most distant mild pine bitters I've ever had from a so called ipa.

Overall this is a very tasty beer, but for an ipa it is terrible. It does not follow the style at all and I will have to give it a bad rateing only based on the style. Otherwise a great beer, awsome drinkability.

Buebie, Mar 15, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +57.6%

This IPA has arrived smack dab in the middle of my IPA kick. It's a quaffable beer with a nice floral nose. Copper in color and sweet to finish. It starts with a citrus hop scent and, while in the mouth, dances as it finishes down. It is a bit more of a session beer vs. a treat and in a $6.00 six pack market, I like that. I enjoyed it, you should too.

bwahoo, Mar 04, 2010
2.5/5  rDev -10.1%

This beer is a copper color with big sticky, rocky head above. Visually appealing. The aroma consists of mostly citrus character.

Disappointing on the palate to say the least. Some washed out grains and a touch of hops is the most that this beer musters in the flavor department. It felt a little dishwater like through the center. This isn't one of my favorites.

BeardedBoffin, Jan 07, 2010
3.23/5  rDev +16.2%

Poured light amber orange and hazy with a tan head of about two fingers.

The aroma of pine hops and nothing else
a pine bite as far as taste.

Really light and crisp with the hoppy bite and high carbonation. Drinkability is ok for an IPA but not as hoppy as I expected.

ImusBeer, Dec 07, 2009
2.4/5  rDev -13.7%

Another of my acquisitions from a recent trip to Minneapolis. This one I acquired at Trader Joe's.

Pours a rich red-orange reminiscent of the colour just after the sun has hidden itself behind the horizon. I found this interesting as it was redder and darker than most IPAs I am familiar with. When poured into a tulip glass, it gave a head that couldn't have lasted too long as I have forgotten all about it within 30 minutes of sipping. Presently there is no evidence of any foam anywhere on my glass.

The nose of this beer has a sweet maltiness about it without any notable hop character. This I find a little surprising but heck on with the taste... All I can say is that I am surprised... Stunned in fact, and not in any sort of good way. The beer hits you with malt and bitterness, and no notable floral nature that I have come to expect from a good IPA.

As I sip I get moments of sweetness that overcome the too powerful maltiness. All I can say about the hops is that it seems they added them all at the start of the brewing process, and saved none of them for a dry-hopping or at the end of the boil, all bitter no floral. The only hop character is bitter, bitter, bitter... And did I mention the cloying malt?

This was in no ways reminiscent of any IPA I have ever had... To me an OK beer, and a way below average IPA.

kjyost, Nov 23, 2009