Kennebunkport IPA - Federal Jack's Restaurant & Brew Pub

poor

Federal Jack's Restaurant & Brew Pub visit their website
Maine, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Monkeyknife on 12-01-2007)
3.43/5  rDev +23.4%

12 ounce bottle, from a six pack a buddy purchased at Trader Joe's. Has "Best enjoyed before" dating notched onto the side of the label. Pours clear, glowing orange tinged amber, medium tan head, leaves barely adequate bits of lace. Lightly leafy hop nose. On the malty side for an AIPA. Hops barely present and not packing anything close to a punch. Works as a sessioner. Nothing to get too excited about.

2.58/5  rDev -7.2%

Brewed by Shipyard. Bottle dated, expires in June. Copper colored with a thin white head that is quick to dissipate into a speckled skim retention. Leaves a few wisps of splashy lace.

Intensely sweet and malty at first then like a super sugary black jelly bean then steely. It doesn't smell bad at all, it's just missing a key ingredient: hops.

Taste is a little biscuity, a little toasted and has a nice English buttery yeast strain. Again, it's good, just hop-less. There might be a bit of swampy hop in there but I think I'm just projecting my desire to like this beer. Reminds me of Geary's Hampshire Special ale, only without the booze and hops...which I guess is completely different. Still a good beer though, just not an IPA.

An IPA without hops is like AC/DC without rock. A travesty.

2.95/5  rDev +6.1%

12oz bottle purchased from Trader Joes, poured into a pint glass.

Has a dark amber color, with some head that faded quickly.

Smells grassy and malty. Some citrus to the smell.

Taste is very sweet. Some citrusy hop flavors, hint of apple, more fruits, and malt. Not very hoppy, though. Not what I was expecting.

Feels slick on the tongue. Bubbly and prickly feeling, and finishes dry. Leaves my mouth feeling slick.

Drinkability is medium. I could drink a few of these without issue.

Now whether I'd want to is another story. As others have said, this is not really an IPA. It's a tasty beer, better than a lot of the crap out there, but by no means great, and not representative of it's style. I scored it as an IPA, since this is what it claims to be.

Would I drink it again? Maybe. It's cheap and easily available at Trader Joes which is a plus. I wouldn't turn it down if it was offered to me. But I'm not going out of my way to get it when there's better beers, even in this price range.

2.7/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured from a brown 12 ounce bottle into a pub glass. The color is great, deep copper, transparent, a white 1'' head. Receding quickly and leaving a collar of retention and bubble islands.

Aroma is off for an ipa, it has great malt character and sweet grain aroma. But there are no hops at the nose at all. Kinda odd for an ipa dont ya think?

Taste also lacks any real ipa flavors. This seems more like a real good pale to me. Flavors of malt are dominant, sweet nectar really. Plenty of grain flavors, caramel buttered rolls, and a touch of pecan nuttiness.
Hops dwindle into the finish with the most distant mild pine bitters I've ever had from a so called ipa.

Overall this is a very tasty beer, but for an ipa it is terrible. It does not follow the style at all and I will have to give it a bad rateing only based on the style. Otherwise a great beer, awsome drinkability.

4.38/5  rDev +57.6%

This IPA has arrived smack dab in the middle of my IPA kick. It's a quaffable beer with a nice floral nose. Copper in color and sweet to finish. It starts with a citrus hop scent and, while in the mouth, dances as it finishes down. It is a bit more of a session beer vs. a treat and in a $6.00 six pack market, I like that. I enjoyed it, you should too.

2.5/5  rDev -10.1%

This beer is a copper color with big sticky, rocky head above. Visually appealing. The aroma consists of mostly citrus character.

Disappointing on the palate to say the least. Some washed out grains and a touch of hops is the most that this beer musters in the flavor department. It felt a little dishwater like through the center. This isn't one of my favorites.

3.23/5  rDev +16.2%

Poured light amber orange and hazy with a tan head of about two fingers.

The aroma of pine hops and nothing else
a pine bite as far as taste.

Really light and crisp with the hoppy bite and high carbonation. Drinkability is ok for an IPA but not as hoppy as I expected.

2.4/5  rDev -13.7%

Another of my acquisitions from a recent trip to Minneapolis. This one I acquired at Trader Joe's.

Pours a rich red-orange reminiscent of the colour just after the sun has hidden itself behind the horizon. I found this interesting as it was redder and darker than most IPAs I am familiar with. When poured into a tulip glass, it gave a head that couldn't have lasted too long as I have forgotten all about it within 30 minutes of sipping. Presently there is no evidence of any foam anywhere on my glass.

The nose of this beer has a sweet maltiness about it without any notable hop character. This I find a little surprising but heck on with the taste... All I can say is that I am surprised... Stunned in fact, and not in any sort of good way. The beer hits you with malt and bitterness, and no notable floral nature that I have come to expect from a good IPA.

As I sip I get moments of sweetness that overcome the too powerful maltiness. All I can say about the hops is that it seems they added them all at the start of the brewing process, and saved none of them for a dry-hopping or at the end of the boil, all bitter no floral. The only hop character is bitter, bitter, bitter... And did I mention the cloying malt?

This was in no ways reminiscent of any IPA I have ever had... To me an OK beer, and a way below average IPA.

3.18/5  rDev +14.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a clear pint glass. Best enjoyed before March 2010. Single purchased at Trader Joe's for $1.00.

A-Clear amber-orange with 1 1/2 finger, off-white head with poor retention and minimal lacing.

S-Slight citrus hops, especially grapefruit, with a more prominent biscuit like malt aroma. Too little hops, too much malt.

T-Far too much malt for an IPA. Not very balanced. Hops are citrusy and provide some bitterness, but not nearly enough.

M-Not bad, but a little thin.

D-I would rate this higher, but for the misrepresentation of the style. Price was great and I would drink again.

This is not a bad beer. However, it is an average, at best, IPA. Very reminiscent of Fuller's ESB. I would drink this again, but not as an IPA.

2.93/5  rDev +5.4%

Picked up at Trader Joe's. Luckily only grabbed two singles, don't need four more of these.
Brassy Coppery color, taste the sweet malts first then a little Hop finish, nothing decipherable in the hop department, little mild of an IPA for me.
Overall very drinkable, just not remarkable.

3.05/5  rDev +9.7%

A- way way to dark, looks like an Amber or English Bitter. head rentition is only thing that saves this beer from a 1.

S- decent smell of citrus hops, and a decent malt hint.

t- a good balance between malts and hops, would make a great bitter but only an average tasting IPA at best.

M- ok carbonation but a little slick in the mouth.

D- is overall a bad IPA but a good bitter or esb. Needs to have the right name. It ticks me off when breweries label a beer an ipa to sell more beer when it is obviously not.

2.03/5  rDev -27%

Picked it up at Trader Joes, which seems to be where most of the people who reviewed this beer got it. Luckily I only got one in a mix-a-six. I've never seen this beer or heard of the brewer elsewhere before.

It's a really weird beer. I'm drinking it right now, and it's just not an IPA, or even an east-coast IPA, as one would expect. Very little hop bitterness. No bitter backbone. Sweet, but with a weird sort of off-flavor that shows up occasionally, especially in the aroma. Simply not to style as an american pale ale. More like a british ale, but not a good one either. There's probably a reason these are only found in Trader Joes. Don't let the cheapness sucker you in.

4.03/5  rDev +45%

This one pours a deep orange/amber color, which is crisp and clear, and a whitish head that is ridiciously sticky to the glass.

A very caramel malt aroma, with just a kick of hops in the nose...balanced...very appealing while subdued.

The flavor is a great initial bitter hops with a dose of those caramel sweet malts...but the finish is a bit sour. I would say that the resulting imbalance is acceptable, but no better than good.

creamy, thick mouthfeel, slick but not too slick.

very delicious and has all the ingredients of a good mild american ipa.

3.63/5  rDev +30.6%

Pours clear dark amber with little head. Faint aroma. No lacing. Taste is okay, though not as hoppy as I would like from an IPA. More sweet malts in the flavor than anything, but not unpleasant. Some caramel and buttery accents. Some alcohol warmth. OK.

3.1/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. brown bottle into a pint glass. Found in a 6 pack at Trader Joe's.
A: Lovely hazy copper colored brew with some amber tinges. Pours with an inch or so of frothy/creamy off-white head that leaves some sticky lacing sheets towards the top of the glass. Plenty of fast-rising carbonation bubbles appear with the pour and don't seem to fade.
S: This is trying to have a nice hop scent, but there's an off key medicinal quality to it. I can get a bit of deep citrus and pine along with some sugary caramel malts, but the whole bouquet is masked by an out-of-place chemical bitterness. After warming a bit, it smells more and more like grain alcohol mixed in with the hops/malts, with a faint biscuit/buttery scent.
T: This tastes surprisingly better than it smells, thankfully. It starts with a soft maltiness, a tad sweet but not too much. The middle lets some hoppy tastes mix in, mostly faint citrus and some leafy floral/pine flavors. The finish has the bitterness fading out and letting the citrus and floral tastes mix with a plain malty and biscuity flavor. Overall, it's fine, but there's the same odd chemical-ness to it that the smell has, as well.
M: Okay, but a bit watery and bitter in a strange way.
D: Not bad, really. Easy enough to drink.

3.03/5  rDev +9%

poured from a 12oz bottle into a standard pint glass

A: clear amber with a tan head

S: more of a spicy hop smell, not really that robust. what i smell is not what i envision for an Am. IPA.

T: sweet taste with just mild hop bitterness. not really an american IPA in my opinion.

MF: little high on the carbonation, medium bodied.

Drinkability: not a bad beer for the price, but not something i'm going to have a craving for.

3.35/5  rDev +20.5%

Yeah, I'm not getting much hops from this beer, on the whole I'm getting more of an APA instead of an IPA. Grassy, earthy, malty, smooth, crisp, clean etc.

On its own I'm finding this a very drinkable beer, very tasty, easy to session, and price competitive.

So, if I just wanted a beer, this could be a decent goto. If I wanted an IPA? Naaahhh... with that I'm not so sure. That's why I have the taste as 3... really it tastes good, but it doesn't taste like an IPA.

2.6/5  rDev -6.5%

A- Clear amber, half finger head.

S- Mostly sweet malt with a light resiny hop note.

T- Where's the hops? The malt backbone isn't all bad, but there's no hops on it. There's also some evident diacetyl which really detracts from an otherwise good malt flavor. If they brought the hops up a couple notches and worked out the fermentation temps this could be pretty good.

M- Smooth carbonation with a pleasant medium body.

D- Despite the flaws it wasn't so offensive as to render it undrinkable.

I'd pass on this unless you are given one for free or you just wanna try as many IPA's as possible.

3.5/5  rDev +25.9%

Color is a glowey amber, clear, and topped by a nice sized white head. The head fades pretty fast leaving tiny bits of fleeting lace behind. Aroma smells like grassy, grapey hops on top of buttery doughy malts. Taste is a little buttery too. The hops add some nice bitterness. Almost a little sour, in a good way. The carbonation is at a good level too. Mouthfeel is a weeee bit syrupy, medium to light body.

Not a bad IPA. Not my favorite, but perhaps I'll get it again sometime. Semi exciting to consume.

3.2/5  rDev +15.1%

I received this from friends of my wife while visiting Charlotte, NC. Christened a new Sam Adams glass with it.

A: Clean amber, a little on the lighter side. About a finger of head, which retains alright and leaves a moderate sheet that covers the entire top of the beer.

S + T: A straight forward hoppiness in both aroma and flavour. It's closest to being piney, but not quite. Kind of a spicy herbal thing going on. Not too bad on both fronts. A little bit of a fruit-like sweetness comes through in the flavour.

M + D: Medium bodied, a little slick and oily. It doesn't leave a whole lot of flavour behind, but there is a touch that I can appreciate. Pretty straight up drinking, and I'd be willing to give it another go.

3.4/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Best Enjoyed Before: N 09

Slightly hazed golden orange with a tall head of foam that dissipates to a soapy layer. Sweet floral and sugary citrus hop aroma, diacetyl, and biscuit malts. The flavor is of citrusy, grassy hops finishing with some fresh grain and toasted caramel. Again, a little buttery which is not entirely unexpected considering Kennebunkport is associated with Shipyard (as I understand it) and Ringwood is probably used without an adequate diacetyl rest. Slightly syrupy feeling, but otherwise medium bodied and modestly bitter compared to many other IPAs. Not bad though, especially for the price. I'll consider picking it up whenever I find myself in TJ's...the cheap prices are too hard to resist.

3.2/5  rDev +15.1%

A - Poured out a somewhat cloudy, amber color with a small, short-lived, white head. It left no lace.

S - It smelled of grasses and burnt toast roasted malt.

T - It tasted of burnt toast and a bitter hop bite. A citrusy flavor emerged as the beer continued to warm up.

M - It was very crisp and sharp with a dry finish. A light to medium bodied ale.

D - This is a below average IPA. It just doesn't have a great IPA flavor. It was fairly dull.

3.5/5  rDev +25.9%

Copper colored with a foamy blonde head that leaves slippery lace on the glass. Smells of pineapple, grapefruit and bready yeast. Taste is much like the smell, fruit and caramel with a very mild hop bite. Medium mouthfeel with crisp carbonation. This beer is not for most extreme beer people, it's pretty wimpy for an IPA but not unpleasant.

12oz bottle with the label marked for september 2009

clear, deep amber color. low to moderate head fades quickly to just a wisp and thin ring. negligible lacing except for one ring in the middle.

hops are grassy with moderate pine notes, but certainly not strong enough aroma-wise. toasted, lightly caramelized malt gives way to a faint cider note, and all a bit subdued, with a metallic whiff at the end.

flavor is sweet, lightly caramelized malt upfront, with slight phenolic note, then grassy hop which is mildly pine. cider-like esters. moderate bitterness into a semi-dry, lightly resinous finish.

not to thin, with lively carbonation.

would have fared a little better as an english IPA

3.03/5  rDev +9%

I tried this the other night at buddy's birthday party and found it palatable and party-worthy but not spectacular. Had I drank it while sitting at my desk with my critical faculties fully attuned to the beer then I might share some of the hyper-critical opinions of my fellow Beer Advocates, but luckily (for myself) I was able to be busy enough to enjoy this beer. It poured a golden orange with a small head head and smelled of sweet malts and citrusy hops. The taste was not as aggessively hopped as I would have expected from an IPA, but it made for some easy-drinking without feeling the need to pair it with party snacks. There are definitely more exciting IPAs out there but this one can be enjoyed by just about any macro-brew drinker willing to give a microbrew a chance.

Kennebunkport IPA from Federal Jack's Restaurant & Brew Pub