Kennebunkport Blueberry Wheat Ale - Federal Jack's Restaurant & Brew Pub

Kennebunkport Blueberry Wheat AleKennebunkport Blueberry Wheat Ale

Federal Jack's Restaurant & Brew Pub visit their website
Maine, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: SurlyDuff on 10-06-2008)
Reviews by MrBallz:
2.75/5  rDev -8.9%

1.79/5  rDev -40.7%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Do you remember grape kool-aid? This is very reminescent of that flavor and smell. Artificial, bland, and sickly sweet. I didn't know this was a beer until I looked at the label on the bottle. I would have been more inclined to believe it was a grape soda pop. If I could compare it to an alchoholic beverage...I would have to place it in the same category as mike's hard lemonade. Forget splenda, this is artificial, chemical sweetener at its best. Coming soon to a trader joe's near you. Kennebunkport Blueberry Wheat makes the perfect night cap to a hard night of drinking Trader Jose Cervesa. Because everyone knows that Trader Joe's has the best selection of fine ales. I thought I had found the best beer in the world when I discovered Simpler Times but then Kennebunkport Blueberry Wheat Ale came along and just hit the ball right out of the damn park.

2.13/5  rDev -29.5%

Kennebunkport, jeez, why is this stuff still at Trader Joes?

Average beer colored beer, a little yellow, a little copper, lots of clarity (with a wheat and blueberry?). Couldn't really pick out blueberry as opposed to a sugary smell. Couldn't pick it out of the taste either, very sugar watery. Normally, this would make for a horrible experience, but I've had Kennebunkport's ipa, and this, by comparison, is not the same horrible experience.

Weird? Yes. I mean, the first things you would expect to taste in a wheat blueberry would be? Wheat and blueberry? yes. Here? no.

But you gotta give them points, as this one isn't their worst.

The Indian Wells of the East Coast.

4.5/5  rDev +49%

I picked this up as a sampler six pack from Trader Joe's. I have to be honest I am a little stun that it got bad reviews. I am not a wheat beer, white, or hef beers. I really love this beer and for the price. I will be picking up a six pack in the future. There is some people on here that just bash a beer because it is.

Clean, clear golden in complexion, with fair carbonation and no lace.

Aroma is pleasing and hinting at delicious...blueberries!

Taste is a well-blended mix of wheat and blueberry -- like a tasty blueberry muffin (thanks cbe@)! That may sound disastrous among serious beer snobs, but this works.

A treat, and one of only 2 blueberry ales I enjoy. Worthy!

3.75/5  rDev +24.2%

3.3/5  rDev +9.3%

Let me state up front, I love blueberries, so it doesn't shock me my review might be way on the high end. Picked this up at the Santa Fe Trader Joe's (their beer selection is starting to suck)

Pours peach tea color with 1 finger of white head. Below average lacing & head retention

S: Much blueberry & tartness

T: Blueberry jelly & lemony hops up front. Blue berries mellow out as this warms, along with honey malt. Finishes with a strong blueberry kick (reminds me of canned blueberries with sugar)

MF: Lively carbonation & light bodied

Drinks okay after 1 I was ready to move on. My wife dug this, I could do one on hot Summer's day or with dessert.

2.15/5  rDev -28.8%

Presentation: Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into a standard pint glass. Label depicts a suspended barrel, surrounded by hops, barley, and blueberries. Best by March or April 2009.

Appearance: Pours with 1 finger of big bubbled, soda like, white head. This settles quickly to almost nothing, just the thinnest ring of white around the glass. The beer itself is pale yellow, completely clear, and shows moderate activity. No sediment in the bottle.

Smell: The aroma of blueberries is intense, you pick it up as soon as you crack the cap. Unfortunately, it smells fake, almost candy like. Blueberries? Yes. Real blueberries? No.

Taste: Artificially sweet blueberry flavor.

Mouthfeel: average carbonation level. Body is decent.

Drinkability: If this were intended to be Kool-Aid, I would give it high marks. But as far as beer goes, not so good. No malt backbone. No wheat twang to offset the artificially sweet blueberry. Easy to drink, but not good.

3.6/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a light to medium amber with no real white foam. Lighter berry nose. Strong blueberry wheat taste - light tartness throughout. Smooth, very little bitter. Tart close. Modest carbonation. Pretty good, but better blueberry beers out there for sure.

2.28/5  rDev -24.5%

Appearance- Crystal clear, amber with a small white head that quickly dissipates. No lacing at all. Just like the apricot, I have to ask "This is a wheat? ".

Aroma- Wow. This smells...no....reaks of blueberry. No other beer aroma.

Taste- Taste better than it smells. Still has an over-powering blueberry taste, but there is hints of malt in there. No hops whatsoever.

Mouthfeel- Fairly light body. Carbontion level is quite good. Not as dry and puckering as I'd expect from a wheat, but quite pleasant all the same.

Drinkability- This might be a good beer for people who don't loike beer, but other than that, it's pretty dismal.

2.68/5  rDev -11.3%

12oz longneck.
A) Pours with a big, two finger white head that settles quite quickly. Clear, golden body. Thin and barely sticky lacing on the drink down.
S) A bold blueberry aroma, but not like authentic smelling but rather artificial. Hints of wheat and grainy notes.
T) Bold blueberries at first, then fades quickly moving toward a sugary sweet flavor with a linger grainy aftertaste.
M) Light body. Fizzy.
O) Not a great beer. I'd drink one in a pinch but not one I would return to.

3.25/5  rDev +7.6%

blueberry tans not overpowering. Very enjoyable and easy to drink.

2.15/5  rDev -28.8%

$1 single @ TJ's. Best Enjoyed Before: D/11

Crystal clear pale yellow-gold with a thin, soapy white head. Smells like straight-up blueberry juice...very candy sweet. Clean, watery, much more mild blueberry flavor. The lingering artificial sweetness is not sitting real well with me. Light, crisp, and refreshing, but even at Trader Joe's there's a number of beers I would choose over this for summer thirst quenchers. Not truly awful, but there's no reason to ever buy this again.

3.43/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured into a Seattle Beer Week pint glass. Pours a light golden amber with a half finger white head with good retention and no lacing. Aroma of fresh blueberries and a hint of sweet malt and wheat. Flavor follows with light, pleasant sweet and biscuit malt, blueberry syrup, finishing abruptly and lightly sweet. Light bodied, as expected. I liked this better than I expected, the flavors are light but well balanced, perhaps a bit on the sweet side, but not cloying. Might go well with a blueberry muffin or crisp.

2.68/5  rDev -11.3%

a: Much like the pumpkin ale, white head over a golden body gives a macro-esque appearance. Retains for a minute and then goes flat.

smell and taste: Smells like one of those blueberry pies you'd buy at a gas station, and tastes about the same...not bad, but blatantly "flavoured". Clean wheat malts and even a spicy note on the nose. More clean wheats on the tongue...this would be a much better beer without the flavor. Very dry. Lightly hopped. Aftertaste of Fruity Pebbles.

m: medium-high carbonation and a light body

d: actually pretty good drinkability, but the flavor wears me down after awhile

best by June 2008, quite the shelf life, single bottle from Trader Joe's Cary

1.5/5  rDev -50.3%

4.08/5  rDev +35.1%

Golden color with active and heavy prickle. Wispy foam in the center of the surface. Blueberry nose. Celan attack with a faint blueberry flavor. Clean finish. Mild character of a wheat beer. Closer to a wheat than a "blueberry" beer in my opinion. I was surpised to learn that this bottled beer I found at a Trader Joe's in Woodbury, MN had come from Federal Jack's pub (or at least the same parent company) as my father always raves about Federal Jack's after his vacations up there.

1.2/5  rDev -60.3%

Hold a pint of this up to your nose and you will smell wheat and sweet berries. Unfortunately it smells like the sugary artificial berry syrup used in the cooking industry.

Take a drink and you will taste an incredibly bitter beer which leaves a soapy aftertaste in your mouth.

Rarely do I ever advocate not purchasing a beer. This is one time I must say, never buy it! KBC has a very good reputation and I was highly disappointed.

3.04/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Bottle #2 out of the mystery pack from Trader Joe's. I was fairly excited to see a blueberry wheat since I have never had one before. Quite frankly that would have been okay with me.

A-The bottle has an interesting design but I did not pour it into a glass to give a review on color (lazy night).

S-It has a blueberry smell but it has a strange skunky smell that makes it unappetizing.

T-I am rewriting this portion because as I drink more and more the blueberry flavor starts to really come alive.

M-Weak and empty in the mouth but goes down very easily.

O-I could never imagine buying this beer on purpose.

3.7/5  rDev +22.5%

To qualify, I'm a big fan of blueberry beers, but I've definitely had good, bad excellent, and terrible specimens. Very pale yellow pour. This one is lighter on the blueberry than many,but it doesn't have a lot more flavors going on. It tastes a little watery, very light fading flavor on the tongue. Overall, it's a decent wheat beer with a nice blueberry add. Ideally a summer cooler I would say.

3.85/5  rDev +27.5%

appearance - Nice golden color, small head that faded out.

smell - Lot of blueberries here and some wheat.

taste - Blueberries, wheat, refreshing crisp taste that goes down easy.

mouthfeel - Medium-light body.

overall - This is not mow your lawn beer, but more like working in the garden, and i don't have a garden. Nice refreshing beer, I have a bunch of blueberry beers, but not in a long time. Surprised about the low review score, i liked this beer and would buy it again.

Kennebunkport Blueberry Wheat Ale from Federal Jack's Restaurant & Brew Pub