Wells Sticky Toffee Pudding Ale | Wells & Young's Ltd

Wells & Young's Ltd
United Kingdom (England) | website

Style: English Brown Ale

Availability: Fall

Two of the things Britain is renowned for across the globe are traditional ale and puddings. Following the success of Wells Banana Bread Beer comes the latest addition to the exquisitely crafted Wells ales range – Wells Sticky Toffee Pudding Ale.

Wells has been using age-old traditional brewing methods to perfect its ales since 1876 and Wells Sticky Toffee Pudding Ale is made to those same exacting standards. It is brewed with our own accredited Natural Mineral Water and the choicest English ingredients. As a result, it delivers all the satisfying, complex taste you’d expect from a true beer but with a unique, indulgent twist.

Using traditional British desserts as our source of inspiration, we discovered that the natural, rich flavours of Sticky Toffee Pudding could be exquisitely combined with darker malts to create a truly distinctive ale. With toffee and caramel hints and rich fruit aromas, Sticky Toffee Pudding Ale is an intensely satisfying beer.

Added by Erik-P on 11-26-2013

Reviews: 133 | Ratings: 682
Reviews by Richardbeerlover:
2.81/5  rDev -18.6%

Pours a dark amber brown with a light brown head that dissipates quickly. Smells sweet and toffeeish immediately. Almost an artificial smell to it. So much so that I expected a very sweet beer. Beer itself is not sweet at all and so it makes my taste buds a bit confused. Not much body or carbonation. Feels a bit thin. Overall a nice sweet smelling beer that is lacking in taste.

3.44/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Wells & Young's Sticky Toffee Pudding Ale a couple weeks ago for $2.59 at The Lager Mill. I passed this beer up a few times just because I assumed it was going to be a pretty sweet beer and very sweet beer's aren't a really my thing, but in the end I thought I should still give this beer a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 11.2oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a nice design to it and I think it's just a little eye catching. It poured a crimson mahogany color that took on more of a crimson color when held to the light with two fingers worth of slightly bubbly tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left lots of spotty lacing behind. This was a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness with a big toffee, light butterscotch and light caramel like aromas being the first to show up and they actually give this beer a candy toffee like aroma. Up next comes comes a little bit of that English Brown Ale base with some toasted malts, sweet malts and English yeast aromas coming through. This beer had a pretty nice aroma that lived up to the name.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, but lighter and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that leads right into the English Brown Ale base which is lighter than it was in the aroma and the sweet malts really don't show up too much this time around. Up next comes the toffee which still sticks out the most with those light caramel and butterscotch aspects showing up in the background. On the finish there's no bitterness and it gets a little watery with a nice toffee like aftertaste. This was a decent tasting beer, but it wish the taste was much more robust like the aroma was, it kind of got a little watery.

M- Smooth, a little crisp, slightly creamy, medium bodied with a lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and a pretty average example of an English Brown Ale, the base beer was noticeable, but it didn't come off as a great example of the style, but the toffee did work well with it and it didn't completely take it over. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was smooth, a little crisp, slightly creamy, not too filling, but the taste didn't do a great job at holding my attention and I think one bottle is enough for me, I don't have any urge to drink another. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, to me those were the highlights of this beer and they were both good. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste and drinkability, they just weren't as good as I hoped they would be and since they took the lighter approach there wasn't a lot of flavors that made me want to come back for more. I wouldn't buy this beer again, it's a little pricey for what you get and I don't think I would recommend it as a good example of the style, but it may be worth a try to see how you feel about it. All in all I wasn't too impressed with this beer, if the taste was more like the aroma I know i would like it more, but as it is it left me wanting more from this beer. This isn't my favorite beer from this brewery or of the style, I would say it's right in the middle between a English Brown Ale and a dessert beer and that's a little confusing. I appreciate you guys doing something a little different, but in the end, this beer just wasn't for me, better luck next time guys.

4.06/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a ver dark brown with a thin off white head.

The smell is sweet caramel, toffee, vannilla and custard.

The taste is much like the smell, toffee, vannila, the finish is a little weak.

The mouthfeel is light with medium carbonation.

Overall a very good beer, I think if they had gone bigger with the abv and had some more body it would've been even better.

2.14/5  rDev -38%

Sticky toffee pudding. My favorite British pudding.

It looks more or less how you'd want a beer with this name to look; deep brown sugar brown with a respectable ivory-colored head with a nice sheen and okay retention. It does seem a bit too clear, if that makes senses; I'd hoped for a bit more viscosity/opacity. It smells full-on with the toffee, but in a weirdly artificial way, like someone dropped a Caramello bar into a Newkie Brown. Lots of Dairy Milk and Nestle butterscotch chips, not a lot of the deep, rich allspice-and-date notes I'd hope for in a real sticky toffee pudding.

Tastes like butterscotch candy, but somehow dry. Like Werther's infused into a dark lager. Like Vanilla Coke. Like Southern Tier's Creme Brulee, stripped of its richness and depth. In other words, it kind of sucks. The aroma makes it sickly; the mouthfeel makes it anemic. It's not a good match. I really don't know what they're going for here. If you want a beer that's meant to be a drinkable STP, don't hold back; let me have that stickiness, that complexity, that heft. Or, failing that, let me have some hops. There are basically none here.

I would say this is a disappointment, but then I didn't really have high hopes.

3.44/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

2.68/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Bland but when mixed half and half with the wells banana it's a lot better.

3.5/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: dark brown in color, 1/3 inch head, medium carbonation, clear

Smell: caramel and bread--not as strong smelling as I would have thought

Taste: toffee, sugar, raisins, breadiness

Mouthfeel: medium bodied and carbonation, sweet

Drinkability: This one is interesting. I do get toffee and light pudding, but maybe not the stickiness. The taste is very much front-forward and is not as strong as the beer lingers. I would get this again if it was offered, but prefer the banana bread beer

2.96/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

4.25/5  rDev +23.2%

3.75/5  rDev +8.7%

3.81/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark brown with off white head. Aroma is all caramel. On the palate it is not as sweet as the name would imply, but the burnt caramelized flavor is dominant. Unfortunately, there is a simultaneous bitterness that detracts from the impression that the label so effectively markets. Toffee yes, but bitter instead of sweet. Not as thick as a "Sticky Pudding" either, but rather thin. Not Callard & Bowser toffee, but more like a Dark Chocolate Heath bar.

3.54/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Wells Sticky Toffee Pudding Ale from Wells & Young's Ltd