Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Wells Sticky Toffee Pudding Ale - Wells & Young's Ltd

Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

3.44/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Wells & Young's Sticky Toffee Pudding Ale a couple weeks ago for $2.59 at The Lager Mill. I passed this beer up a few times just because I assumed it was going to be a pretty sweet beer and very sweet beer's aren't a really my thing, but in the end I thought I should still give this beer a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 11.2oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a nice design to it and I think it's just a little eye catching. It poured a crimson mahogany color that took on more of a crimson color when held to the light with two fingers worth of slightly bubbly tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left lots of spotty lacing behind. This was a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness with a big toffee, light butterscotch and light caramel like aromas being the first to show up and they actually give this beer a candy toffee like aroma. Up next comes comes a little bit of that English Brown Ale base with some toasted malts, sweet malts and English yeast aromas coming through. This beer had a pretty nice aroma that lived up to the name.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, but lighter and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that leads right into the English Brown Ale base which is lighter than it was in the aroma and the sweet malts really don't show up too much this time around. Up next comes the toffee which still sticks out the most with those light caramel and butterscotch aspects showing up in the background. On the finish there's no bitterness and it gets a little watery with a nice toffee like aftertaste. This was a decent tasting beer, but it wish the taste was much more robust like the aroma was, it kind of got a little watery.

M- Smooth, a little crisp, slightly creamy, medium bodied with a lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and a pretty average example of an English Brown Ale, the base beer was noticeable, but it didn't come off as a great example of the style, but the toffee did work well with it and it didn't completely take it over. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was smooth, a little crisp, slightly creamy, not too filling, but the taste didn't do a great job at holding my attention and I think one bottle is enough for me, I don't have any urge to drink another. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, to me those were the highlights of this beer and they were both good. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste and drinkability, they just weren't as good as I hoped they would be and since they took the lighter approach there wasn't a lot of flavors that made me want to come back for more. I wouldn't buy this beer again, it's a little pricey for what you get and I don't think I would recommend it as a good example of the style, but it may be worth a try to see how you feel about it. All in all I wasn't too impressed with this beer, if the taste was more like the aroma I know i would like it more, but as it is it left me wanting more from this beer. This isn't my favorite beer from this brewery or of the style, I would say it's right in the middle between a English Brown Ale and a dessert beer and that's a little confusing. I appreciate you guys doing something a little different, but in the end, this beer just wasn't for me, better luck next time guys.

4.06/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours a ver dark brown with a thin off white head.

The smell is sweet caramel, toffee, vannilla and custard.

The taste is much like the smell, toffee, vannila, the finish is a little weak.

The mouthfeel is light with medium carbonation.

Overall a very good beer, I think if they had gone bigger with the abv and had some more body it would've been even better.

2.14/5  rDev -37.6%

Sticky toffee pudding. My favorite British pudding.

It looks more or less how you'd want a beer with this name to look; deep brown sugar brown with a respectable ivory-colored head with a nice sheen and okay retention. It does seem a bit too clear, if that makes senses; I'd hoped for a bit more viscosity/opacity. It smells full-on with the toffee, but in a weirdly artificial way, like someone dropped a Caramello bar into a Newkie Brown. Lots of Dairy Milk and Nestle butterscotch chips, not a lot of the deep, rich allspice-and-date notes I'd hope for in a real sticky toffee pudding.

Tastes like butterscotch candy, but somehow dry. Like Werther's infused into a dark lager. Like Vanilla Coke. Like Southern Tier's Creme Brulee, stripped of its richness and depth. In other words, it kind of sucks. The aroma makes it sickly; the mouthfeel makes it anemic. It's not a good match. I really don't know what they're going for here. If you want a beer that's meant to be a drinkable STP, don't hold back; let me have that stickiness, that complexity, that heft. Or, failing that, let me have some hops. There are basically none here.

I would say this is a disappointment, but then I didn't really have high hopes.

3.44/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

2.68/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Bland but when mixed half and half with the wells banana it's a lot better.

3.5/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: dark brown in color, 1/3 inch head, medium carbonation, clear

Smell: caramel and bread--not as strong smelling as I would have thought

Taste: toffee, sugar, raisins, breadiness

Mouthfeel: medium bodied and carbonation, sweet

Drinkability: This one is interesting. I do get toffee and light pudding, but maybe not the stickiness. The taste is very much front-forward and is not as strong as the beer lingers. I would get this again if it was offered, but prefer the banana bread beer

4.25/5  rDev +23.9%

3.75/5  rDev +9.3%

3.54/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.86/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Straight up amazing aromas coming off this beer. Unfortunately the smell doesn't translate into the flavors. Not a bad thing at all . . . Just wish the taste and feel were able to keep up with the nose. Good beer, I really enjoyed this one.

3.91/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

3.35/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Appears a deep crimson brown hue with a beige flowing head, fine speckled even lacing on the sides of my glass. Aroma has a candy like toffee/caramel note with a bready base ale lying underneath the flavor additions. Flavors are very tame a dirty muddled roasted malt layer, finishing earthy with a metallic penny like flavor. A hint of caramelized sugars/toffee the nose carries out the Sticky Toffee Pudding much better than the palate picks up those flavors. Mouthfeel is medium bodied mild carbonation a bit of astringent metallic notes lingering between sips. Overall a very forgettable beer, I don't even think the same folks who go crazy over their banana bread beer will think much about this offering.

Wells Sticky Toffee Pudding Ale from Wells & Young's Ltd