Wells Sticky Toffee Pudding Ale - Wells & Young's Ltd

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Brown Ale |  5.00% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Erik-P on 11-26-2013)
3.41/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Wells & Young's Sticky Toffee Pudding Ale a couple weeks ago for $2.59 at The Lager Mill. I passed this beer up a few times just because I assumed it was going to be a pretty sweet beer and very sweet beer's aren't a really my thing, but in the end I thought I should still give this beer a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 11.2oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a nice design to it and I think it's just a little eye catching. It poured a crimson mahogany color that took on more of a crimson color when held to the light with two fingers worth of slightly bubbly tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left lots of spotty lacing behind. This was a good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness with a big toffee, light butterscotch and light caramel like aromas being the first to show up and they actually give this beer a candy toffee like aroma. Up next comes comes a little bit of that English Brown Ale base with some toasted malts, sweet malts and English yeast aromas coming through. This beer had a pretty nice aroma that lived up to the name.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, but lighter and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that leads right into the English Brown Ale base which is lighter than it was in the aroma and the sweet malts really don't show up too much this time around. Up next comes the toffee which still sticks out the most with those light caramel and butterscotch aspects showing up in the background. On the finish there's no bitterness and it gets a little watery with a nice toffee like aftertaste. This was a decent tasting beer, but it wish the taste was much more robust like the aroma was, it kind of got a little watery.

M- Smooth, a little crisp, slightly creamy, medium bodied with a lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and a pretty average example of an English Brown Ale, the base beer was noticeable, but it didn't come off as a great example of the style, but the toffee did work well with it and it didn't completely take it over. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was smooth, a little crisp, slightly creamy, not too filling, but the taste didn't do a great job at holding my attention and I think one bottle is enough for me, I don't have any urge to drink another. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, to me those were the highlights of this beer and they were both good. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste and drinkability, they just weren't as good as I hoped they would be and since they took the lighter approach there wasn't a lot of flavors that made me want to come back for more. I wouldn't buy this beer again, it's a little pricey for what you get and I don't think I would recommend it as a good example of the style, but it may be worth a try to see how you feel about it. All in all I wasn't too impressed with this beer, if the taste was more like the aroma I know i would like it more, but as it is it left me wanting more from this beer. This isn't my favorite beer from this brewery or of the style, I would say it's right in the middle between a English Brown Ale and a dessert beer and that's a little confusing. I appreciate you guys doing something a little different, but in the end, this beer just wasn't for me, better luck next time guys.

StoutHunter, Oct 04, 2014

ssj245, Nov 05, 2014
3.4/5  rDev +1.2%

InkedinRi, Nov 05, 2014
3.03/5  rDev -9.8%

11.2 oz bottle purchased at Huckleberry’s in Spokane for $2.99. According to the stamp on the neck, this is meant to be consumed by “12/11/14”, or at least I presume so, unless this is a born-on date and the bottle was delivered via time machine.

Poured a dark, cola-ish color, with a sudsy light tan head. Quite a bit of lace.

Sugary and mineralish in the nose. I get a little toffee, some butterscotch, some cocoa and what smells like the aroma of Dr. Pepper as well.

The taste is like the smell, sugary with a mishmash of toffee, butterscotch, caramel, cocoa and that soft drink from Plano.

The body was somewhere between light and medium, with a thin, watery mouthfeel.

Tolerable in one 11.2oz serving, but I’d not want to session this, at least not without a dentist appointment to follow. I’ve never had a “Sticky Toffee Pudding,” but if this is a good representation of what one tastes like, then I’ll add it to the list of English foods best avoided – not a short list.

woemad, Nov 04, 2014

DeadeyeOTDO, Nov 03, 2014
2.85/5  rDev -15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Picked up up a bottle a few weeks back. The label and description easily caught my eye. Figured it was worth a shot. Stamp date on bottle neck says 14/12/14.

Poured into my Stella glass appears a clear Amber with nice off-tan head. Smells of butterscotch and sweet candy. Tastes initially sweet but quickly changes to a thin, watery, slightly bitter bland beer. Hints of butterscotch in flavor, but mostly a bland bitter beer.

Quite disappointed for what I thought this would be. Worth a shot, but for only one time.

jwhancher, Nov 03, 2014