Courage Imperial Russian Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: rastaman on 02-11-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Courage Imperial Russian Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 785 | Reviews: 271
4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

Wonderful to see bottles of this in Atlanta. A beer I've been wanting to try for a long while. I wondered whether I'd be disappointed after the long wait, but no, this beer is superb. Pours an extremely dark brown, almost black, unless held up to the light. Short coffee crema colored head, but the head clings to the side of the glass in a sheet, not just rings. Smells of Christmas pudding cooked in a coal fired oven- slightly sooty and redolent of fruit and brandied cake. Dry and intense in flavor, tightly wound. Nice lingering, ashy bitterness with dry fruit notes, licorice, espresso, and bitter chocolate. Superb, and surprisingly bracing and dry with a bit of alcohol bite that is nevertheless integrated with the beer in the sense that it underscores the other flavors instead of dominating. A huge beer, and a great pleasure to drink.

4.33/5  rDev +2.1%

A-Pours a dark kola hue which leaves a two finger head and heaps of clingy lacing,beautiful looking almost spot on.

S-Burnt toffee and raisins,rich sticky date pudding,caramel and candied figs.

T-It starts off like a liquid Xmas pudding with tastes of caramel cake and candied fruits mixed with chocolate and chestnuts and finished with a dark fruity hoppy bitterness that counteracts every sweetness first encountered.

M-Full bodied and a touch boozy which finishes bittersweet.

O-This is definately a brew that would age well and im glad ive got more than the one and look forward to seeing how it ages and if you find definately buy more than the one cheers.

4.15/5  rDev -2.1%

Served in my swanky new Sweetwater snifter.

Nice to hold some brewing history in my hands, even if it isn't from the original re-brewers (read: not Wells/Young). It pours a straight onyx topped by a tall finger of dusty tan foam. The nose comprises dark chocolate, roasted malts, light molasses, and a touch of darkly-roasted coffee. Pretty dern British, so to speak (as far as stouts go). The taste brings in more of the same, with a touch of clove lying near the bottom of things. The body is a light-feeling medium, with a light carbonation and a creamy, smooth feel. Overall, this is a great-tasting stout that drinks way the hell too easily for anyone's own good. If this is anything like the older stuff, I will work my ass off to get a vintage bottle...

4.55/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Brewed in May 2011 and poured into my Darkness snifter

Pours a deep black with a two finger fluffy tan head. The head sticks around forever and leaves tons of lacing on the glass. Looks spectacular. The lacing and head are still around as I reach the bottom of the glass nearly a half hour after the pour.

The smell is dark roast, chocolate, dark fruit like figs and dates. Smells absolutely decadent and enticing, but the fruit undertones seem a little different for the style.

The taste does not disappoint. Dark roast, dark fruit sweetness, chocolate, slight alcohol warmth, and some lingering hops on the finish. Very complex and simply delicious.

The mouthfeel is velvety smooth and creamy with near perfect carbonation. Courage coats the palate, it's thick and creamy like a milk shake, but not cloying. Extreemly well done.

Overall this is an absolutely fantastic beer, probably the best non BA stout that I have had to date. Extreemly well balanced and complexed. Soo glad that they brought this one back and that I got to try it.

4.25/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a solid black with a big tan head that lingers.

Smells of bready, biscuit malt with some roast coming through along with hints of caramel.

Taste is up front caramel/molasses/fig that fades into a big roasty middle and ends with a floral note and coffee and chocolate...really interesting and complex flavor that is subtle.

Medium to heavier body and lower carbonation. The alcohol blends perfectly.

This stout is more subtle than many others with a bigger floral and fruity nose/finish than I'm used to. It is also quite bready and completely delicious.

**Tobacco notes open up as this beer warms. It just gets better and better.

4.51/5  rDev +6.4%

GLASS: Snifter
TEMP: Served at approx 45 degrees
Brewed in May 2011 (Printed on neck label)
I'm very glad that this beer is being brewed again (after almost 20(!) years). Otherwise, I (and many others, I'm sure) may never have had the chance to try it.

This one pours black...just as expected, thankfully. The three-finger head of brown foam lasts and lasts. The lacing is awesome!

Notes of coffee and vanilla. Hints of leather and smoke. A subtle presence of a fruity sweetness. Light notes of roasted malts. Mild hints of spiciness.
Not exactly the nose that I expect from a RIS, but it smells very nice and inviting, nonetheless.

Lots of bold roasty notes are smoothed out by a mild fruit sweetness. Light traces of smokiness and coffee with cream and depth and complexity. Hints of milk chocolate. Tobacco. Blackstrap molasses. Subtle notes of dates. The finish has a very light trace of anise.

This is medium-bodied and has a medium level of carbonation, which is comprised of oh-so-tiny bubbles. It has an almost silk-like smoothness to it and a light hint of creaminess.

This is very nice. I want to drink lots of it. More than that though, I want a few bottles for the cellar, because I think that this has some serious aging potential.
Worthy of it's reputation.

4.13/5  rDev -2.6%

Smoky aroma has a chocolate undertone and hints of molasses and coffee. It pours a rich, warm sable just a whisker above black and with a very thick, somewhat fluffy tan head that hangs around for a little bit. Flavor has elements of roast quality coffee, molasses and chocolate with a hint of licorice. There is some subtle sweetness and bitterness that balance each other nicely. Full-bodied texture is quite fizzy and a little syrupy - doesn't get any better. A truly worthy RIS.

4.57/5  rDev +7.8%

I am stoked to see that Courage Imperial Russian Stout is being brewed again. It was the original Imperial stout, and am glad its no longer lost to history. Courage pours a dark, near black color. Things are topped by a couple of fingers of light khaki head. Head falls to a ring. Plenty of lace is left in its wake.

The aroma is on the sweet side of things. Sweet chocolate stands out first. Some light roasted coffee hits next. More sweet roastiness comes into play. Some faint fruit notes present as well. A light touch of alcohol spice rounds out the nose.

Courage hits the palate packed with complexities. The chocolate in the aroma takes on a milkier quality. Sweet milk chocolate melds with roasted coffee notes. Beneath the coffee, some light tobacco notes hit. A bit of fruitiness comes into play as well. Some dark malt twang helps round things out. The finish is somewhat short lived, with more roasted notes, and a light alcohol bite.

The mouthfeel is a bit thin, but doesn't detract from the quality.

Getting to enjoy a glass of Courage Imperial Russian Stout was treat. I can definitely see what Katherine The Great saw in this fine brew.

4.39/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A: The beer pours very dark with a very thick tan head.

S: The beer has a lot of roastedness, a good amoutn of some sweetness and a little chocolate.

T: The taste is just amazing. The roastedness is just amazing and the coffee after taste just hits the spot. I am also getting some tobacco and alcohol. Maybe I am crazy, but the first sip, I taste a good amount of fruit.

M: The beer is pretty crisp and sort of burns going down.

O: This was just a great beer. I wish I could find this beer more often and cellar a few. This is amazing

4.1/5  rDev -3.3%

1978 vintage. wow thanks bill

so this beer is 10 years older than me and will judge it lightly as it seems it was probably more than ready to be opened

appearance - not as viscous as i would expect. black with mahogany borders. no carbonation to speak of

smell - dark roasted malts, wood, oxidation, tobacco, fig

taste - dark roasted malts, wood, salt, old molasses, tobacco, minor fig

mouthfeel - surprised about the thinness, smooth, no carbonation, nice in the mouth

overall - hopefully ill get to try one about my age to compare, hah.

4.5/5  rDev +6.1%

93 Vintage bottle at Falling Rock this past Saturday during GABF. Had one along with Bardwashrind. Enjoyable brew. Pours a serious dark brown with a tan foamy head. Nose of cocoa, caramel, and dark fruits. Taste is similar to the nose with figs and dark chocolates wandering throughout each sip. Slightly sweet fig flavors on the backend. Light carbonation and oily mouthfeel. A nice stout for sure. Glad I got to try this one.

4.46/5  rDev +5.2%

1993 nip bottle poured into my Duchesse de Bourgogne glass. There is a very slight hiss when I pry off the cap -- the pour is dead flat, a few large bubbles appearing from agitation and quickly vanishing.

The beer is dark and cloudy, a deep mahogany brown at the edges and opaque in the glass. The smell is otherworldly -- musty oak, soy sauce, brown sugar, figs, balsamic glaze. The taste is surprisingly bright and tart, a sweet beginning transitioning into a chocolatey, vinous finish. Standard tobacco/leather/dark stone fruit mixed with a huge port/sherry component. Soy sauce is present but muted, blending well with the vinous notes. Finish has some coffee and astringency. Astonishingly quaffable.

Mouthfeel takes a hit for thinness, though it's not at all watery and would be difficult to have it be much thicker and work with the wine elements. This beer is a masterpiece. My only regret is that there's one less bottle in the world.

3.64/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

93' Vintage thanks to the fine folks (Zach and Jenn) at Tap and Table.

Appearance: Pours dark dull brown (at least by candlelight) with zero head, no retention, and no lace.

Smell: Truly my favorite part of the brew. Hints of oxidation, soy, light sherry like vinous notes, and a hint of roast malt. Complex and recommended.

Taste: Kind of fell flat compared to the wonderful nose. Not much roastyness left.

Mouthfeel: Very thin, low to no carbonation, and just not that desirable.

Drinkability: Can't score it any higher due to the taste and mouthfeel.

I feel that this bottle wasn't aged as well as the 1983 vintage I had at Kulminator in 2008, although I liked the nose better.

4.65/5  rDev +9.7%

1993 vint. poured carefully into snifter. No head whatsoever. Tart, dried fruit up front with hint of sweet chocolat and molasses coming through. Soy and toasted oakiness on the way down as the booze warms the finish. Not much experience with beers half as old as myself but I really enjoyed the complexity of this treasure.

4.42/5  rDev +4.2%

1975 nip bottle, shared with my good friend Troy to celebrate all the hard work we put into planning Toronto's first beer week.

Some rust on the exterior of the bottle cap, but otherwise its in good nice. Its very reassuring that upon cracking the crown there's an audible hiss of carbonation. 35 years and the bubbles are still there! A thick residue similar to brown cocoa butter is clumped on one side of the neck.

The pour results in a dark brown liquid that verges so closely on black that it might as well be. A very fine whispy head takes up residence and slowly fades. As expected, there'snot really anything in the way of lacing. The nose has strong vinous notes - strong red wine, some soy sauce, bitter chocolate and tobacco. Certainly an old school RIS. Much the same can be said if the flavour, which has held up incredibly over the past three and a half decades. Stong tobacco notes and a resilient bitter chocolate. Red wine mixed with soy sauce and fleeting coffee notes. More going on than I can really put my finger on... Light carbonation, but its still there!

An extremely interesting brew. I've always wanted to try something older than me, and this one has me beat by seven years! Not only has it held up well, but its actually a very pleasurable example of the style, and its neat to see a traditional take along the lines of the A LeCoq stout. Worth the expense.

4.82/5  rDev +13.7%

This is a brewed in 1976 edition bottle, 6oz(170ml)

I've always wanted to try a Courage Imperial Russian Stout ever since I read about it many years ago. Here is my chance.

I remove the cap, which isn't a crown cap...kind of surprised me given the age of the beer, and give it a vigorous pour into my NB Goblet. A few bubbles show up and then a light sheeting of foam appears and then disappears almost immediately. There are still *some* bubbles in the middle and around the edge of the glass. Oh, forgot to mention, there was a decent hiss when I popped the cap.

Zooming my nose over the glass, this smells very strong. Strong as in strong dark fruits, very sherry like notes, some caramel sweetness and good doses of chocolate. And a huge presence of alcohol. Just by the smell alonge I know this one is not for the faint at heart.

First sip and...the sherry like nose is there in the flavour. Wow. What a punch it delivers! The chocolate I mentioned in the nose is here and is rather big and bold bring lots of sweet tones..the dark fruits, not so much.

Seeing as this is a RIS and they are known for roasted malt goodness, I was worried as I didn't sense that in the smell at all. The taste, happily, shatters that worry. Very nicely roasted malt flavours are exploding every which way but loose and the alcohol? Wow. What a difference between smell and taste. It pretty much dominated the smell but the taste doesn't expose the 10%abv at all. Yeah, there's plenty of warming after the swallow, which is where I prefer it, but it sure isn't noticeable in the taste at all.

Cool, I just noticed that after a few sips, the foam makes a comeback of sorts. Big old island off center and now a complete ring around the glass. That surprised the hell out of me.

Big bodied and silky smooth with a surprisingly nice tingle of carbonation periodically during the session. 6oz?? I want more, damn it.

Drinkability? For a ~34 year old brew...absolutely incredible! Hell, if this was still being brewed and a fresh bottle is what I was drinking right now I'd say..absolutely incredible!

Bottom line(I haven't one of these in a while):
What can I say? I'm going to do my best to seek out more as this is one of the finest drinking experiences I've *ever* had. I'd LOVE to see Wells and Young's bring this beer back!

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

Without doubt the tastiest beer I have ever sampled. Nothing else I have ever had tastes quite like it, so bear with me as I try to put this touching experience into words.

1975 vintage, 180 mL bottle that has spent the last 34 years in the cellar of a beer collector in England. Acquired privately at an amazingly cheap price.

Pours a thick, syrupy, opaque black with a finger of tan head. A FINGER OF HEAD! The carbonation here is remarkable given the age.

Smells ... so unique. Fruity, woody, funky, meaty ... a hint of roastiness. Will this taste anything like a stout?

Yes! Sweetness envelops my tongue as I take a modest sip, followed by a slightly roasty astringency, and a sharp bitterness lingers long after I swallow. The stout backbone is very apparent from beginning to end, but the flavours have evolved dramatically. Honey, fig ... a faint saltiness ... soy, meat, tobacco -- but these are really well-integrated into the whole ... woody sherry-like notes, lightly oxidized. Absolutely heavenly: words fail me.

The mouthfeel is luxuriously full, syrupy, and with a creamy carbonation that is astounding after all these years. I am floored.

This beer is simply overwhelming. The drinkability is only hurt by the fact that I could only ever have one in one sitting.

4.44/5  rDev +4.7%

Vintage 1993 bottle from Union Jack's on the Manatawny...
Appears a syrupy dark brown, nearing black when poured into the brandy snifter. Tiny whisps of tan, soapy bubbles quickly dissapear into nothing. Large chunks of protein are left in the bottom of the nip sized bottle after a slow, careful decanted pour.
Smell is of raisins, cocoa, caramel, madeira, and port wine with perhaps a mild touch of tart, black cherries, and a splash of salty soy with molasses.
Taste is of the aromas with the raisin, and cocoa dominating the flavors and a touch of the tart cherries coming through on the finish.
Mouthfeel is warming, viscuous, relatively devoid of any carbonation, making this a smooth, after dinner sipper.
A hefty price to pay for such a rare treat...worth it.

4.21/5  rDev -0.7%

170ml bottle of the 1992. I have more bottles from many different vintages and will update this review as warranted.

A = Dark mahogany liquid with light layer of orange brown misty tracing on surface, thin perimeter of orange bubbles around rim.

S = Tar, hot rubber, wet clay, worked leather, light hint of sharp cheddar but tempered by chutney and pure cane syrup with the burnings left in the odor. Well underneath are strong scents of treacle, molasses and soaked oak and hickory chips. A little too plasticine though.

T & D = Oh my, this is one of the best tastes I have ever had in my mouth. Tobacco flavor (light though, as of the more mild pipe tobaccos), raw maple syrup, walnut paste, bitter herbs. Very complex. I'm sure this was much fuller bodied and flavored in its youth, but at 19 y/o it is a superior aged beer and I think if it were younger though good it would be more simple. That said I cannot think of any IRS produce in the USA in 2009 (i.e., today) that could hold up this long. Indeed they are generally not as good fresh, but many will be gone in 10 year. This beer could last another 20 or 30 years.

M = Full bodied,excellent mouthcoating, light carbonation but present.

3.76/5  rDev -11.3%

170ml bottle marked 1974.

opened with a hiss, thats promising, and there is still liquid in there. We are off to a good start.

smells slightly brandy like, some chocolate and salt, well to be expected considering it is older than i am.

First thing i taste is soy sauce, but it fades quickly for chocolate, lots of chocolate and maybe some spice (like spiced rum) with a brandy warmth. The choclate fades to leave an oaky almost red wine like lingering flavour. all i can say is wow.

Mouthfeel is fantastic, thick and smooth, soooo smooth.

A classic, a true classic. Yes it is past its best. But it's still great. Damn you wells and youngs for retiring this beer.

4.52/5  rDev +6.6%

Bottle shared with egajdzis (thanks!). Vintage 1981. I've also had various other vintages, but this one was by far the best I've had to date.

Poured a dark, dark reddish brown color with a smaller sized off white head. Aromas of chocolate, smoke, and light coffee. Tastes of dark fruits, coffee, chocolates, and brown sugar. Light vinous quality as well. Sweet and smooth body. Lightly spicy.

Notes from and tasted on 5/6/05

3.97/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

1992 Vintage

A: Poured from a nip sized bottle into a snifter. Completely opaque with no head.

S: Smells of chocolate with a subtle roast character. Lots of soy sauce aroma. No hops (obviously).

T: Wow...still very sweet. The age has smoothed out the alcohol. Sweet chocolate up front. No hop flavor at all. Very thick, silky and smooth, with a big roast character. Sweet and creamy as it swallows with a balanced bitterness. Evolving as it warms.

M: Almost completely still with a very big body. Sits on the tongue like a grease spot. Very mildly warming.

D: Production stopped in '93 (I believe). Definitely worth a taste, if you can get it. Very smooth beer, however may have been more prime 5 or so years ago.

4.43/5  rDev +4.5%

1977 Vintage. Sampled on April 8th 2008 for my 31st birthday (damn getting old:()

Pours a shade or two short of black with slight bricking at the edges and with still a nice carbonation pop with the cap and a cascading mocha tan head that fades into a creamy topper. Looks exceptional even for a 31 year old brew.

Some vinegary notes and oxidation. Almost seems like brett in there with some woody undertones. Full of dark fruits, black cherry, currant, boysenberry, dark mollasses, brandy, sherry and on and on. A never ending piece of complex olfactor perfection.

Chiii...rist. The vinegary-ness of the aroma is gone and completely overridden with thick bitter dark chocolate and fudge. Unbelievably malty and creamy thick mouthfeel. I've only had one other beer with malt sustance like this and it was Kuhnhenn (add any K-henn beer and there it be). Oxidation lends to a layer of dark fruit and then the same brandy grape, sherry flavors that prevail in the nose. Prune, black cherry, blackberry, mollasses, earth, manure, and leather and on and on. Immensely complex and very good. Would have loved to tried this 10 years ago.

4.01/5  rDev -5.4%

Brewed in 1975 sampled in 2008 at the ripe old age of 33 this is officially the oldest beverage that I have knowingly sampled.

Bottle opened with a nice hiss and poured a solid black with a smallish tan/brown head that lasted forever. I'm really surprised the carbonation has held up so well all these years.
Aroma is heavy with wine/port like smells. A slight chocolate and some band aid in there too. Taste is port or sherry, salty with a bitter aftertaste that doesn't quit. Quite a unique experience. This beer has stood up well, but was obviously better years ago. Definitely a sipper.

3.82/5  rDev -9.9%

Courage Imperial Russian Stout (VINTAGE 1993)

One of the much coveted and hard to get beers around. I was pretty pleased to be able to get my hands on 3 different vintages. Cracking open this one, I am getting strong vinous aged aromas fizzing out and also the familiar dark fruits namely dates, plums and raisins. But wait a minute.. this is a stout right? I do not get the roasted malts and stuff instead those aromas are typical of an aged strong ale. The taste starts off with a bitter note and ok now I think I can pick up slight hints of roasted malts but they are just too subtle. The dates, plums and raisins were showing up but without the familiar sweetness in most aged strong ale. There is a slightly sourish and vinous tartness throughout and the finishing was fairly dry and bitter. I am not really picking up familiar stout tastes in general and this taste is not bad but the tartness and sourness is a little on the strong side. Bitterness was significant but still within bounds. The after taste was rasiny and dates; not really lasting though I have some nice aromas on the nose as well. The mouthfeel was fairly thick with syrupy, watery smoothness and practically no carbonation. Drinkability slightly lowered due to the slightly high sour and tartness. Not really impressed but let's see what the other 2 vintages I have can offer.

Courage Imperial Russian Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd