Courage Imperial Russian Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: rastaman on 02-11-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Courage Imperial Russian Stout Alström Bros
3.91/5  rDev -8%

Pours a four-fingered light tan head that fades slowly to a thin layer leaving a good lace. Black color, no highlights. Medium carbonation and medium-heavy bodied. Light chocolate nose and flavor is chocolate, sweetness then burnt chocolate finish. High ABV is hidden. $7.49 for a 275ml bottle from Julio's Liquors Westborough, Ma.

4.25/5  rDev 0%

I found a 2011 bottle locally and was excited at first. But after drinking it left me flat. Maybe I had a bad bottle but it was very disappointing to me. At best this is was an average RIS. Based on other reviews I plan to try this again to see if it was just my bottle.

Aroma was dominated by treacle. The head was good but had large bubbles like a soda. Body was thin and the flavor was a bit harsh with a late lingering astringency. I do drink quite a few RIS's it's one of my more favorite styles.

I found this to be average at best, but I will try again, perhaps it was a bad bottle.

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: black beer, doesn't look as thick as some Imperial stouts; with a fat dark head. Thinned and left some lace along a stout flute glass.

S: black and chocolate malts, roastedness, espresso notes,

T: semi-sweet, drying and bitter; lots of roasted malt, some smokiness and plenty of espresso. Some vanilla/molasses sweetness. Deep down, just a hint of dark fruit.

M: smooth, medium body, minimal carbonation, smooth coating, smoky aftertaste

O: what I imagine to be a fairly traditional take on the RIS: the label says, "As originally brewed in 1795 for Catherine the Great of Russia" - no wonder she was impressed. No gimmickry here - a very refined drink - a must-try for all devotees of the style and advocates of good beer.

The 2012 bottling found its way my way, and I found it a much better tasting-beer than the previous bottling I tried (2010? 2011?), and I have adjusted my review/scores accordingly. My previous bottling date had some astringency and seemed a little thin. The 2012 was a fuller and more rewarding drink - outstanding.

4.27/5  rDev +0.5%

Score! I knew they were brewing this beer again but I'd never seen it during my travels. I was surprised to see several bottles on a shelf at Tower's in Atlanta a couple of days ago. I picked up two, one to drink now and another to throw in the cellar for a while... Let's see how this is fresh...

Dark bittersweet chocolate aromas are rolling out of the wine glass I poured this in... Huge and pungent... A nice punch of booze... Licorice and a definite sweetness that reminds me of some sort of fruit... This really smells amazing... This smells authentic to me... Old and earthy and dark and rich... Really nice...

Punch of hops right up front that quickly fades out but is followed up quickly by this earthy dark chocolate/roasted malt rush of flavor... Again, this tastes like something I would have had 100 years ago... It's rich and dark and full...Not particularly complex which is ok with me because it's delicious... I'm really glad I got to try this beer and I'm looking forward to seeing how it holds up with several years in the cellar...

A nice treat that I'm glad I got to have...

4.45/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Served in a Duvel tulip. Brewed in 2011. Good till 2024.

A - pours jet black, aggressively poured so resulted in massive chocolate head, hung around for quite some time, then left a fine lacing

S - molasses and roasted malt. No alcohol to speak of

T - sweet chocolate up front, followed by malt, then a significant hop character. Aftertaste is coffee with hops lingering

M - pretty thick, not too carbonated, not much alcohol burn

O - a great, unexpected find. I was told this was quite limited in this area, a nice big stout that apparently will age nicely, so I'll look for a couple more to put away for a bit.

4.5/5  rDev +5.9%

3.5/5  rDev -17.6%

3.97/5  rDev -6.6%

Drank on 3/22/12 two days after having my wisdom teeth removed.

Appearance: Dark brown light foam, quarter inch head with no lacing.

Smell: Coffee, pear, apricots, and raisins, all singled out in an excellent aroma. Molasses and brown sugar smell and color as well.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and light carbonation. Weird mouthfeel due to my wisdom teeth removal.

Taste: Bitter on the front end. The taste compliments the smell quite well.

Overall: A good strong stout with excellent flavors. I will have to return when I don't have holes in my mouth from having my wisdom teeth removed.

3.12/5  rDev -26.6%

Poured into a snifter. Brewed in May, 2011.

5.0 A: Dark brow color. Aggressive pour gave two fingers of creamy/frothy tan head. Retention is very good as it settles down to a very creamy half finger, which persists quite long. Lots of lacing. Damn fine looking.

3.0 S: Surprisingly earthy. Smells like a forest stream that someone dumped a bunch of roasted barley in. Mineral, moderate roastiness, anise, "woodzy freshness", light burnt notes, and moderate herbal hoppiness. It's not bad, it's just not what I'm fond of in an RIS.

3.0 T: Tastes as it smells for the most part. Earth tones of mineral, mountain stream, moss, burnt wood, char. Moderate roastiness, anise, a touch of smoke, and herbal hops.

3.0 M: Heavier medium body. Carbonation level is fine, but it feels strange. It's like a creaminess, but it isn't. Too hard to explain, so I won't anymore.

3.0 D: Earthy, "farmhousy" RIS. Not a big fan, but it might interest those looking for a "natural tasting RIS," whatever that means.

4.18/5  rDev -1.6%

2011 bottling.

Dark brown body nearing black; opaque in the center with translucent edges. Pours with a voluminous head that takes a good 15 minutes to settle.

Heavily roasted, malt forward nose. Notes of toffee and black licorice with hints of charcoal, mineral, bittersweet chocolate. Smells nicely balanced between roasted, burnt malt flavors and sweetness.

Really nice on the palate. Roasted grain, butterscotch and toffee, dark chocolate. Slightly metallic and mineral, from the water perhaps? Licorice comes out more in the finish, leading into a combination of toffee, burnt malt and resinous hops.

I've been wanting to try this beer for years and was glad to finally see a new batch. It's very enjoyable stuff, but I wouldn't say it's worth drinking more than once at $7 for a 9.3 oz bottle.

4.01/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours a bog standard pitch black with a two-finger head that parts not too long after.

Aroma is strong on alcohol with a sweet, creamy backbone. Not much else here.

Dark fruit, roasted coffee and cream stand out as the dominant flavors, followed by the alcohol itself. A bit more aging will bring out the bouquet of flavors obscured by said alcohol.

Mouthfeel again is warm from the alcohol, resulting in an unpleasant dose of carbonation.

Again, there is hope for Courage if aged for a sufficient period of time.

4.92/5  rDev +15.8%

Appearance: From a 9.3oz bottle is a black abyss of darkness. On top the head is dark beige three fingers tall and very frothy. As the head thins out thick lacing is left behind.

Aroma: Large amounts of espresso, dark chocolate, with cocao undertones that carries a light bitterness. Dark fruits, very dark roasted malts as well as hops. Notes pear, minor burnt hops.

Taste: Espresso notes in the front followed by a huge rush of milk and dark chocolate. The mouthfeel is smoother than melted chocolate. Hops and malts are roasted so very dark with a floralness and bitter sweet chocolate tones. Some dark fruits with some pear notes to finish it off.

Notes: Dam this one freaking amazing almost an adreniline rush. Cheers.

4.75/5  rDev +11.8%

4.33/5  rDev +1.9%

I was talked into this buy the guy at my local bottle shop, and was glad he did that. While expensive for this tiny brew, the size makes for a very easy sampling.

Bottled May 2011

There is some brown in the pour, this ends up being black with no light penetration. A huge mocha head leaves some light lacing, but stayed until the finish.

Smell is fruity, chocolate, roasted malt, and booze. Holds up to the label description, but I am missing some coffee.

Taste follows closely with malt, chocolate, bitter and sweet, a bit of fruitiness, and a hint of char on the finish.

While the beer is not quite thick, it's definitely not thin. It is however smooth as can be and I definitely liked the beer.

What a treat, I might go get some more for aging and comparison. The price tag is hefty at 8 bucks for a 9oz beer, but I have paid worse ratios, so I can't complain. Very solid and nicely complex. It seems light from the fruitiness, but all other parts make this a great stout, perhaps some coffee, and a bit heavier feel would be the only improvements.

DOA

4.6/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Brewed May 2011, best by 19th Sept 2024, consumed 25 March 2012. $7 or so from the Village Pump. Served in John's Thomas Hardy's tulip

A very dark brown/black with a dense, dark brown head with excellent retention and gorgeous lacing, this is a top notch stout. The nose is pretty excellent as well. Plenty of heavily roasted malt lending lots of bitterness, smokey notes, burnt sugar, dark caramel (minus the sweetness), a touch of ash and (welcome) acridity, as well as unsweetened cocoa and some coffee. Wow, this is one beautifully complex beer. Is the dark malt here exclusively black patent? Anyway, there is also some hop character, earthy and green with a touch of eucalyptus. Excellent stuff.

The flavors on the palate are stunning. Heavily roasted with plenty of grainy bitterness along with an herbal, minty hop character up front. The palate expresses, in order of strength (to my palate, at least) dark chocolate (70%, mildly sweetened), coffee (a nice creamy espresso), smoke (smoldering briquette)and peat. The peat lingers on into the finish, lending an aggressive but refined smoke note. The mid-palate is surprisingly fruity as wellAll sweetness that's present does exhibit a bitter side as well (burnt sugar, black licorice, buckwheat honey-like grainy character). Medium-full in body with moderate carbonation, this beer has a wonderful finish, with the aforementioned bitterness and sweetness, along with some char, a moderate fruit character and a touch of alcohol. Pretty excellent stuff IMO, I will have to buy a few more to cellar, despite the price.

Courage Imperial Russian Stout from Wells & Young's Ltd