Courage Imperial Russian Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Courage Imperial Russian StoutCourage Imperial Russian Stout

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: rastaman on 02-11-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Courage Imperial Russian Stout Alström Bros
4.69/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

11.2 (I think?) oz bottle poured into my tulip. Really excited that I have a bottle of this legendary brew. Not sure of the vintage, but I know it's newer, probably this year.

Pours a very dark black, basically opaque. Not much light getting through this one. Nice, dark brown head forms, and lasts for a good while.

Smells awesome. Bitter chocolate, roastiness, vanilla, slight bit of hoppiness.

I wish I could taste this over and over again. So sad I only got one bottle. Tons of chocolate and, some tobacco, bit of vanilla, maybe some coffee bitterness, slight alcohol twang, slightly smokey. This one has so much going on. I love it!

Low carbonation, very creamy and smooth mouthfeel. Goes down very easy for the ABV.

A historic, legendary brew that lives up to the hype. I hope to see this again, and I hope to try some aged versions at some point.

GreesyFizeek, Feb 05, 2014
4.06/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Served in a snifter glass. Vintage 2012 bottle served 02/05/2014.

Appearance: Dark brownish black with ridiculously heavy bubbles on the body. Tan head is almost two finger's length settling slightly uneven before the first sip.

Smell: Light coffee cream scent that feels like the brew has shot of whiskey.

Taste: Has a real bitter coffee bean taste that is pretty addicting. Is you like your coffee without sugar this brew might be for you.

Mouth: Medium and sticky, has a mellow finish considering how bitter it starts.

Overall: Very good brew, has a sour bitter and absolutely complex feel...little pricey but then again it's also a little rare. Grab a glass and indulge. Salud!

BlurryVisi0n, Feb 05, 2014

ChrisMon02, Feb 05, 2014

rrosoff, Jan 31, 2014

Givemebeer, Jan 30, 2014

ThreeFishes, Jan 28, 2014

Our group of 4 Beer Advocate members did a recent small bottle tasting of high alcohol brews.
Among the 12 brews tasted was; Courage Russian Imperial Stout from Wells & Young.
Courage tied for our 8th highest average score of the 12 brews tasted at 4.06.

ricknelson, Jan 27, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -17.5%

CwrwAmByth, Jan 24, 2014

smokeypeat, Jan 22, 2014
4.26/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

9.3oz bottle (275ml), 2012 vintage. Number 063040 of 210,000. Bottle code says: 16/08/25 A L2229 05:12. Split between two 5oz sampler glasses from Red Hook.

Pours black, almost no head, lots of sediment at the end of the pour (I didn't try to prevent it). Tiny amount of active carbonation. Smell is alcohol, black licorice, chocolate, a little smoke.

Taste is good. Sweet, a little coffee and chocolate, anise, maple syrup, rich, something fatty about it. Roasty bitterness. This is really tasty and interesting.

Mouthfeel is thick, heavy, almost chewy. Overall, this is very good.

snaotheus, Jan 18, 2014

mattmarka1, Jan 18, 2014

DaPan, Jan 12, 2014

wl0307, Jan 11, 2014
4.36/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2012 vintage.

Pours pitch black with a decent sized for the abv tan head.

The smell is dark fruits, plums, figs, prunes and sweet malts. Really a great smelling beer.

The taste is dark fruit up front, finishing very dry with some coffee like bitterness and a little alcohol.

The mouthfeel is fairly thick with medium carbonation.

A very good beer, very different from the American RIS' less sweet and more dark fruits. I'm not sure I'd pick this over ten fidy but an excellent beer non the less.

Dave1999, Jan 10, 2014
3.75/5  rDev -11.6%

Shnanign, Jan 09, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -17.5%

ChicagoNick, Jan 06, 2014
3.98/5  rDev -6.1%

I picked up a bottle of Wells & Young's Courage Imperial Russian Stout last week for $6.69 at The Lager Mill. I've been wanting to try this beer for a little while now and I was happy to see this at The Lager Mill and I'm interested to see how it stacks up to some of the other RIS's I have had, so lets see how it goes. Best before 16/08/25. Poured from a smaller 275ml brown bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a nice old school look to it. It poured a nice dark black color that didn't let any light come through and it had a finger and half worth of dark tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer and it looks pretty true to style.

S- The aroma starts off with a very high amount of sweetness that had a molasses like aroma to it and it's followed by loads of malts that impart some caramel, toffee, roasted malts, and chocolate aromas with the chocolate sticking out the most and it imparts a pretty cocoa like aroma. Up next comes a medium dark fruit aroma with raisins seeming to stick out the most with some more sweet malts on the finish with just a slight bit of alcohol that is pretty well hidden. This beer had a pretty nice aroma, but I wish less sweetness came through and more roasted aromas showed up.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that had a slight molasses like flavor to it and it's followed by a good amount of malts being the first to show up and they impart a nice slightly grainy, roasted, slightly charred, slight caramel, slight toffee, and chocolate flavors with the chocolate still sticking out the most and imparts a nice cocoa and dark chocolate like flavors. Up next comes a somewhat lighter amount of dark fruit with raisins still sticking out the most with some noticeable alcohol that sticks out more then it did in the aroma. Towards the end there's some earthy hops which impart a slightly higher amount of medium bitterness with some lingering bitterness, chocolate and roasted malt like flavors in the aftertaste. This was a pretty good tasting RIS, but I thought the alcohol could have been hidden a little better.

M- A little smooth, rich, slightly creamy, a little sticky, full bodied with a lower amount of carbonation that worked well with this beer. The mouthfeel was really nice and it was very true to style.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a good example of a Russian Imperial Stout, it wasn't as bold and roasty as some of my favorite American brewed RIS's but it still had that great mouthfeel I would expect and I thought it represented the style nicely. This beer had ok drinkability, it was a little smooth, rich, creamy, filling, a little boozy, and the taste did an ok job at holding my attention, one of these small bottles is the perfect size for me and I don't think I would want to have another one in a row and I think it makes for a nice beer to have on a cold and snowy winter night. What I liked the most about this beer was the mouthfeel, I thought it was very nice and it's just what I look for in a good RIS. What I liked the least about this beer was the aroma, it wasn't bad and it was fairly complex, but it was very sweet and the roasted malts could have stuck out a little more. I don't think I would buy this beer again, it was fun to try, but for over $6 for a small 9oz bottle, it's just too pricey for me and I would much rather have a Founders Imperial Stout, especially for the price. I would recommend this to anyone who like RIS's. All in all I enjoyed this beer, but it isn't my favorite of the style, Founders Imperial Stout still holds that title and I think this beer lacks the refinement that Founders Imperial Stout has and it's for sure more drinkable. Good job guys, I'm glad I gave this one a try.

StoutHunter, Jan 06, 2014