Courage Imperial Russian Stout - Wells & Young's Ltd

Courage Imperial Russian StoutCourage Imperial Russian Stout

Wells & Young's Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Russian Imperial Stout |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: rastaman on 02-11-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Courage Imperial Russian Stout Alström Bros
3.75/5  rDev -11.6%

Shnanign, Jan 09, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -17.5%

ChicagoNick, Jan 06, 2014
3.98/5  rDev -6.1%

I picked up a bottle of Wells & Young's Courage Imperial Russian Stout last week for $6.69 at The Lager Mill. I've been wanting to try this beer for a little while now and I was happy to see this at The Lager Mill and I'm interested to see how it stacks up to some of the other RIS's I have had, so lets see how it goes. Best before 16/08/25. Poured from a smaller 275ml brown bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a nice old school look to it. It poured a nice dark black color that didn't let any light come through and it had a finger and half worth of dark tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some spotty lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer and it looks pretty true to style.

S- The aroma starts off with a very high amount of sweetness that had a molasses like aroma to it and it's followed by loads of malts that impart some caramel, toffee, roasted malts, and chocolate aromas with the chocolate sticking out the most and it imparts a pretty cocoa like aroma. Up next comes a medium dark fruit aroma with raisins seeming to stick out the most with some more sweet malts on the finish with just a slight bit of alcohol that is pretty well hidden. This beer had a pretty nice aroma, but I wish less sweetness came through and more roasted aromas showed up.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that had a slight molasses like flavor to it and it's followed by a good amount of malts being the first to show up and they impart a nice slightly grainy, roasted, slightly charred, slight caramel, slight toffee, and chocolate flavors with the chocolate still sticking out the most and imparts a nice cocoa and dark chocolate like flavors. Up next comes a somewhat lighter amount of dark fruit with raisins still sticking out the most with some noticeable alcohol that sticks out more then it did in the aroma. Towards the end there's some earthy hops which impart a slightly higher amount of medium bitterness with some lingering bitterness, chocolate and roasted malt like flavors in the aftertaste. This was a pretty good tasting RIS, but I thought the alcohol could have been hidden a little better.

M- A little smooth, rich, slightly creamy, a little sticky, full bodied with a lower amount of carbonation that worked well with this beer. The mouthfeel was really nice and it was very true to style.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and a good example of a Russian Imperial Stout, it wasn't as bold and roasty as some of my favorite American brewed RIS's but it still had that great mouthfeel I would expect and I thought it represented the style nicely. This beer had ok drinkability, it was a little smooth, rich, creamy, filling, a little boozy, and the taste did an ok job at holding my attention, one of these small bottles is the perfect size for me and I don't think I would want to have another one in a row and I think it makes for a nice beer to have on a cold and snowy winter night. What I liked the most about this beer was the mouthfeel, I thought it was very nice and it's just what I look for in a good RIS. What I liked the least about this beer was the aroma, it wasn't bad and it was fairly complex, but it was very sweet and the roasted malts could have stuck out a little more. I don't think I would buy this beer again, it was fun to try, but for over $6 for a small 9oz bottle, it's just too pricey for me and I would much rather have a Founders Imperial Stout, especially for the price. I would recommend this to anyone who like RIS's. All in all I enjoyed this beer, but it isn't my favorite of the style, Founders Imperial Stout still holds that title and I think this beer lacks the refinement that Founders Imperial Stout has and it's for sure more drinkable. Good job guys, I'm glad I gave this one a try.

StoutHunter, Jan 06, 2014

smartassboiler, Dec 24, 2013

Hopstout, Dec 23, 2013

mendvicdog, Dec 18, 2013
4.49/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this in a snifter.

Dark brown body, almost black with a big two-finger head. Not great staying power on the cap, but great ring lacing on the glass.

The scents are as RIS as RIS can be. There is smoke, tobacco, dark fruits, and roasted coffee beans. Very balanced between the char and sweetness. Even some cocoa comes calling as the beer warms.

Flavors on the palate are close to what the nose offered. Mid-palate, Courage was all roast and smoke, tobacco and cocoa powder. However, the finish incorporated a nice, long play of figs and other dark fruits, with coffee roast. Wonderfully complex and delicious.

Courage feels like a big RIS. Creamy and smooth. Still manages to be somewhat dry from all that roast and tobacco quality.

This RIS dominates on all levels. The flavors are complex and deliver new experiences with every sip, especially that long and lingering dark fruit finish. So enjoyable and surprising. The mouth feel makes the beer a real pleasure to drink. I am going to eagerly seek this one out again once I drink down more of my inventory.

Pintofbrown, Dec 16, 2013

jjboesen, Dec 16, 2013

HopsHopenstein, Dec 15, 2013

Had on-tap.

A- Nice dark black with a medium creamy looking latte colored head

S- Chocolate with some dark cherry and some dark roasts

T- Wow, lots of dark cherries and chocolate, like a black forest cake. Getting the darker roasts and some light metallic flavors on the end as well as light alcohol presence.

M- Heavy-medium not too much considering the ABV and all the flavors. Nice and creamy.

O- Really impressed with this beer. I think it's aged a bit at the brewery before bottling but not sure if in barrels or for how long. Very surprised at the pronounced dark fruit, cherry flavors considering there is no adjuncts that I'm aware of. Wish this wasn't as expensive as some barrel aged stouts though.

PaulyB83, Dec 13, 2013